Was your mom or dad the more easy-going parent?

My mom was a raging psycho. My dad spent half his 88 years trying to please her.
I was thinking: "How could a man be so desperate & have such low self esteem as to marry someone like that & have 3 kids with her?"
None of her kids attended her funeral.

My father was easy-going and valued peace to such an extent that he enabled my mother's emotional abuse of my sister and I. Controlling and domineering, my mother was quite narcissistic, and always had to be catered to and given exactly what she wanted. When displeased, she would withdraw all positive emotional contact, and refuse to interact with or even speak to us, often for days on end...

I was the eldest of 4 and an only child for 7 yrs. Along came my brother and my life changed forever. When I was 14 my sister was born and at 16 my youngest brother. Having kids so far apart kind of cramped my mother's style I guess and she and I did not get along at all. She was very tough on us but I was the rebellious one. It wasn't until many, many years later that we more or less resolved our problems. My dad was a typical professional person and wasn't over involved in our daily lives except at the dinner table.

@Pinky Sounds like my siblings and I. I also am the youngest of 3 sisters and my brother was 4 years younger than I. And boy, was my brother spoiled to the core!
Typical baby of the family. The same held true for my baby brother (baby of the family).

Had I had the authority, I would have turned him over my knee more often than my mom did, having spent a considerable amount of time babysitting him. He was an absolute brat more often than not.

Last edited:
My mom was the strict one, my dad "acted" like he was strict but I got away with my misadventures with him as my defender. My siblings complained I "got away with murder" while they toed the line. 😄😋😇 I made up for it by being generous to them, they knew I'd give my share of KFC (that's our comfort food then) to them. I've carried the trait to this day, they don't even have to ask especially now that I'm in full control of my finances.

@Pinky Sounds like my siblings and I. I also am the youngest of 3 sisters and my brother was 4 years younger than I. And boy, was my brother spoiled to the core!
My brother, 7 yrs. younger than me, was a really good little kid. He got the toys, but wasn't a brat. He and I are very close, though he lives 3,000 miles away.

My father was easy-going and valued peace to such an extent that he enabled my mother's emotional abuse of my sister and I. Controlling and domineering, my mother was quite narcissistic, and always had to be catered to and given exactly what she wanted. When displeased, she would withdraw all positive emotional contact, and refuse to interact with or even speak to us, often for days on end...

Sounds a lot like my household.

My mother and father had us going to Catholic School and wanted the fear of God put in all of us but mostly my father wanted that the most. My father had a really bad temper and you never knew what would Set It Off but he was scary.

Both of my parents would use the belt on us so l I really can't decide which one of them was more laid-back.

After we were grown up and then a few years after that they seemed to mellow somewhat.

I hope you and your two older sisters spoiled him rotten! :)
We treated him like the little angel he was. I remember one Halloween, we put rouge on him and tied a scarf around his head. Everyone thought he was a girl. From a very early age, he remembered words to songs, and sang them from beginning to end. "Catch A Falling Star" by Perry Como was one of those songs. He has been a singer in a local band in his city for years (not now, but he still jams with friends). He has a very good voice.

My dad was very well educated and had a great job. My mom was a stay at home mom, so my home reminded me of “Leave It to Beaver.” My dad was always very philosophical. My mom was very caring and just a very sweet woman.

I remember my very first car date. My dad prepared me a checklist to use to go by before I left the house. Good thing he did. I left my wallet on my dresser.

My mother and father had us going to Catholic School and wanted the fear of God put in all of us but mostly my father wanted that the most. My father had a really bad temper and you never knew what would Set It Off but he was scary.

Both of my parents would use the belt on us so l I really can't decide which one of them was more laid-back.

After we were grown up and then a few years after that they seemed to mellow somewhat.
The "Fear of God" is often an excuse for abuse.

Back