What do you think was the purpose of your life?

Serenity4321

This may be an odd question and perhaps there is no purpose but for whatever reason, I thought about this. I am in my seventies and think of all I have seen and done and am grateful but wonder if I or anyone has a specific reason for being. Some new age philosophies tell us we planned our life before birth to overcome some challenges from previous lives. I am not sure whether I believe that or not but since there is no way to confirm or refute that, I will leave it as a 'possibility' :) Anyway I would love to hear from anyone who has thought about this..TY in advance :)

I used to believe I needed to accomplish something noteworthy. Help bring peace, play music, build houses, live simply so that others might live, and yet none of those things have answered this question. Lately I am appreciating this mysterious world and giving myself room to understand and appreciate it in as many ways the universe allows me to.

It's futile to wonder about that, imo. I deal with life's challenges as they come, the best I can. I help people when I can, however I can. That's made life good for me and my family, sometimes made a day or a moment a little better for someone, but I don't think any of it served some grand purpose.

If you removed one ant from an anthill, none of the other ants would even notice. They'd still have an anthill.

It's futile to wonder about that, imo. I deal with life's challenges as they come, the best I can. I help people when I can, however I can. That's made life good for me and my family, sometimes made a day or a moment a little better for someone, but I don't think any of it served some grand purpose.

If you removed one ant from an anthill, none of the other ants would even notice. They'd still have an anthill.
You are not alone in your thinking. I am curious about what topics others find interesting while still others see no point in thinking about. I have not thought about this question in terms of looking for a grand purpose, although one of my readings in ACIM does say we are all here to help each other become 'better'

I'm pretty sure about why I was put here.
To entertain people & make people laugh.
To make all animals feel loved.
To help others who are physically less fortunate.
That's a good way to live. My parents were killed before I reached high school. I ended up doing life in the Marines. They tell us we were put here to kill. All of you Marines out there had to have heard that starting on day 1.
I agree with Murrmurr. We exist, and there is no grand scheme or purpose for life. A potato is alive, and may end up as McDonald's fries, but its purpose is only what we give it. Our purpose is only what we give it.
I believe differently. I believe that we were put here for a purpose.

This may be an odd question and perhaps there is no purpose but for whatever reason, I thought about this. I am in my seventies and think of all I have seen and done and am grateful but wonder if I or anyone has a specific reason for being. Some new age philosophies tell us we planned our life before birth to overcome some challenges from previous lives. I am not sure whether I believe that or not but since there is no way to confirm or refute that, I will leave it as a 'possibility' :) Anyway I would love to hear from anyone who has thought about this..TY in advance :)
I have thought endlessly about the purpose of life. Years ago I came to accept the concept that we somehow "pre-negotiated" our lives before being born. I didn't realize it was a new age philosophy until now. Where were we before we were born? I don't know. You may recall that in another post I wrote about my Catholic upbringing and some of my beliefs. I know that the idea of past lives and reincarnation flies in the face of the tenets of the Catholic Church but it somehow melds together in my mind. I don't have a clue as to who I was in a past life but I do know my purpose in this life and that is to be a caregiver, to be genuinely kind and accepting. Not a saint, mind you. Just an average human.

I have no idea what my purpose is or should be. I've been trying to figure it out all my life.

Two days ago you said,
"It's a different world today then when I grew up.
I was taught to be considerate of others."

Maybe that's your purpose.
The world benefits every time you're considerate of others. It's infectious.
It's a lovely purpose. God bless.

I have no idea what my purpose is or should be. I've been trying to figure it out all my life.
Same here.
@shedevil7953 , I know you gave up your job and time to care for your husband with dementia. And I've read some of your posts that show you have much knowledge about healthcare. You also have a cat and a Corgi you care for. I think your plate has been full of purpose and still is so carry on as your purpose is healing and caring for others as I see it. God bless.

Back