What Happens When We Die?

Afterlife can't be proven or disproven that is where faith enters the thought process. I think religion is a great crutch to lean on as hope.

Faith that a sentient being & a crew of sentient beings billions of years old are somewhere outside our universe waiting for us to show up in some sentient form to reunite with the billions that have died is the major part of that hope/faith.

It's something that only each individual can accept or reject.

We'll all find out someday. I do believe in God and His Son, Jesus Christ. What comforts me is that I believe not only will it be a better "world" that we go to, but that there will finally be justice and certain people will be held accountable for what they have said and done. I look forward to the peace that will come instead of the chaos we live with now.

I think that all that exists are the elements as in the periodic table from chemistry, and if left to combine with other elements, will eventually form what we call life and humans are just the most evolved. I hope I'm wrong, but that's where my common sense takes me. When we die, we decompose and those elements are returned to nature to be recycled. That's why I'm leaning toward cremation and ashes scattered instead of being hoarded in a box in some cemetery.

Last edited:
I've always believed that Jesus takes to Heaven at death. However, lately I am beginning to think we just cease to exist. There may be no Heaven and no Hell; just existence and non-existence. I wonder what others think. At 86 I'm getting closer and closer to the end.
I'm almost 75, at 27 1/2 i had an NDE. Not evidential for anyone else, but huge significance for me. Both my experience and the literature (people's personal accounts) suggest that what you strongly believe will influence what happens immediately after.(hence the accounts of folks experiencing scriptural type heavens or hells during NDEs). Unless there's someone you feel you need to watch over or something you need to communicate to one your still living loved ones, if you believe there's 'nothing' you probably won't perceive anything at first, but that's ok cause time different in that dimension/reality.

Last edited:
I've spent my career dealing with death and dying........and life and living.
And I've been right there at the moment of death for so many people.
No matter how horrible the events leading up to their end, in all of them, their final moments were one of peace and without fear.
For that, I have always been grateful......knowing they found peace at least at their final seconds.
I have no idea what awaits any of us after our grand or sullen departure, but I am comforted in knowing that as I close this door behind me that I'll leave life peacefully without fear.

We'll all find out someday. I do believe in God and His Son, Jesus Christ. What comforts me is that I believe not only will it be a better "world" that we go to, but that there will finally be justice and certain people will be held accountable for what they have said and done. I look forward to the peace that will come instead of the chaos we live with now.
This is what I also believe. I also feel that when we are living we are in Hell. Where else can you experience the pain of losing loved ones? I pray we are reunited with those we love and will never lose them again.

I've spent my career dealing with death and dying........and life and living.
And I've been right there at the moment of death for so many people.
No matter how horrible the events leading up to their end, in all of them, their final moments were one of peace and without fear.
For that, I have always been grateful......knowing they found peace at least at their final seconds.
I have no idea what awaits any of us after our grand or sullen departure, but I am comforted in knowing that as I close this door behind me that I'll leave life peacefully without fear.
My then husband and then 11 yr old daughter cared for my terminally ill father for 6 weeks in 1995, he had metastasied cancer including lung and brain tumors. His biggest struggle was with losing brain function. Sometimes he seemed transported to a past time/place in his life-- not just remembering but talked as if living it. Mistook me for my Mom whom he had not seen in 40 yrs and my daughter for me. In and out of lucidity, the day he realized he was having difficulty reading he asked me to get him his gun, i said i couldn't do that, but told him "i firmly believe that if you are ready it is between you and 'God', however you perceive that entity, you can let go and be done.".
A week later he was bedridden, taking only liquids he talked of seeing his Mom and his wife (both long deceased) in the room with us and i perceived them as well. Another week and he passed, peacefully, in my arms in his own living room as he wished.

Back