What I couldn't get this week shopping

I don't eat Canned soup.. but we did the same and stocked up with Beans even tho' I'm not a big bean fan.. my o/h like to eat them a couple of times a week . We prefer Branston because they're not so sweet as Heinz.. ☺
I have a few cans of Branston from my Iceland deliveries...definitely the best.

I have a few cans of Branston from my Iceland deliveries...definitely the best.
Interesting. I’ll have to look in Walmart (Canada) in their ethnic aisle. They do have Branston products. There are Heinz British Beans for $~$2.50 I bought them in another store for $1 and they were no different than regular ones.
I like canned baked beans with wieners or scrambled eggs or as a side sometimes.

It was near the end of the sale week so that may have been the reason there were no more kidney beans. Chilli season will be coming soon. I need to find some. I don’t want to do them from scratch.

The local Wegman's chain announced that it has implemented limits on paper products and some cleaning supplies.

No explanation of the change other than an effort to ensure that these items will be available to all shoppers.

:(

Tesco ( our largest supermarket chain).. have put a 3 per customer limit on Pasta.. alcohol, hand wipes & TP... altho' there's no shortage of these goods , and no other supermarket have placed restrictions

The local Wegman's chain announced that it has implemented limits on paper products and some cleaning supplies.

No explanation of the change other than an effort to ensure that these items will be available to all shoppers.

:(
Limits are understandable. Over the past few weeks I've seen people loading their carts with paper towels, TP and bottled water.

When my kids were little and they'd start hitting a candy dish at a relative's house, I'd ask them if they thought they could control themselves or did I need to make a rule about it.

Same principle applies here. When people won't control their greed (or fear), stores have to make rules.

@hollydolly, don't you think a 3 per customer is sufficient for pasta, alcohols, wipes and TP? Presumably Tesco had some customers overbuying which is why they instituted the rule.

Limits are understandable. Over the past few weeks I've seen people loading their carts with paper towels, TP and bottled water.

When my kids were little and they'd start hitting a candy dish at a relative's house, I'd ask them if they thought they could control themselves or did I need to make a rule about it.

Same principle applies here. When people won't control their greed (or fear), stores have to make rules.

@hollydolly, don't you think a 3 per customer is sufficient for pasta, alcohols, wipes and TP? Presumably Tesco had some customers overbuying which is why they instituted the rule.
well, we had much worse restrictions during our 3 month lockdown in the summer, people went berserk for TP , bottled water, Baby milk, pasta , just about everything tbh... so this restriction by Tesco this time is mild compared to that .

The fact is that we have several large chains of supermarkets and they didn't feel the need to put restrictions in place this time.. and the shelves haven't been emptied. ..
The only rush I saw last week as we went into lockdown for the second time were people at Costco buying large amounts of TP.. and IMO they're to sell and not for personal use.. however they're stymied this time because there is no shortage of TP in the stores ...

All that said... I do feel that a limit of 3 items is quite restricting for those who can't get to a supermarket on a regular basis, disabled, elderly, shift workers etc

I haven't been able to get any sort of disinfecting wipes or Lysol in the spray cans. I can't seem to get original Pine Sol, just the lemon one. I finally got a 13lb bag of the only food my cat will eat, for a while I was hunting all over the place and buying those 3lb bags at exorbitant prices. And paper towels are in short supply, I had to buy some brand I never heard of and they don't hold up at all. And absurdly enough, my sister is having a really hard time getting Gas-X...

But it's not so bad. I keep thinking of my mother's stories about rationing during WWII...

No limits of which I am aware at the local market, but they are price gouging. Almost $5 for a box of Cheez-It crackers. I went to another store a little further away and got them for the usual (before COVID) price. My last trip, I asked for pastrami at the deli, but when I got home and unwrapped it, it was corned beef.

By putting restrictions on an item, it becomes more desired. People will return several times just to keep buying it. With any luck they’ll buy other items. There’s method in the retail madness.

I do feel that a limit of 3 items is quite restricting for those who can't get to a supermarket on a regular basis, disabled, elderly, shift workers etc

This is what I was going to add.
I'm all for sharing with others (!) but many of us cannot go to the store, at all, and the person who goes for us,
is either unavailable to go more often, or themselves have medical reasons that they cannot go more frequently, either, and are therefore needing to stock up both for themself, and for another person in the same position.

This is what I was going to add.
I'm all for sharing with others (!) but many of us cannot go to the store, at all, and the person who goes for us,
is either unavailable to go more often, or themselves have medical reasons that they cannot go more frequently, either, and are therefore needing to stock up both for themself, and for another person in the same position.
I buy for my son in the group home.

Paper towels are becoming scarce here at Costco, Kroger, Sams and Walmart. All have a limit of one per purchase and they've been missing on my last couple of Walmart pick up orders.

I've gotten Kirkland's disinfecting wipes at Costco a couple of times over the summer but they were out last week and not sure when they'd get more.

Approximately 10% of shelves were bare in the OTC medicine section at CVS a few days ago.

Have not found Lysol spray since early spring.

A miracle, the young woman who'd delivered my groceries
yesterday, came by just now with all my SNACKS!!! She had seen my post on the delivery website, and felt really bad, she
went to another store and bought what I was missing and delivered it just now....so she earned her big tip I'd already
given her!!!!! :giggle:

Today - spray furniture polish, orange cleaner, ground black pepper (for a reasonable price - I'm not paying $4.99 for a 2.5 oz. container), garlic powder, AAA batteries (likewise for a reasonable price unless you consider $7.49 reasonable for 4), corned beef is still not available locally. I asked a clerk for the furniture polish and she handed me a bottle of Soft Scrub which is cleanser, not polish. Same with orange cleaner which is not laundry detergent. Do clerks even know what these household products are? On top of it, it was extremely hot and muggy - the first time I had a problem wearing a mask because of perspiration. By the time I got home, I could have watered my lawn with it.
I just got 12 AAA batteries for $7.00 on Amazon. And, they are the latest model DURACELL'S.
I'm really charged up about it.
After seeing the ridiculous prices on batteries in stores, & seeing the great prices on Amazon, I can't understand why anyone would buy batteries in any store.

Last edited:

Back