What is the super cheapskate habit you have?

well waddyaknow......(y)...and I just checked my Big £2.00 Bottles and they are 1150ml each not 75 ml as I said before ... which 1.15 litres...

Making 3.45 litres £6.00

Compared to your Big Dawn.. at 3.87 Litre... we're getting our ''Fairy'' at around 1/2 of the price you paid for yours... .. Proctor & Gamble are making more money from the US housewife than here ...
US consumers are paying through the nose? Gee, what else is new?

Dawn is known to be expensive. It works well, but Ajax does too.

I rinse the bottles to get all the soap.
as it's the same as our Fairy, I wonder why it's so expensive in the name of Dawn... for you in the USA..

@Pappy my father did that with the tomato ketchup bottle too..sometimes he would pour cold tea straight out of the teapot into it

I wonder why it's so expensive in the name of Dawn... for you in the USA..
You don't want to know what we are charged for various prescription medicines and medical procedures... Dawn soap and its ilk is the tip of the iceberg.
I saw both are from the same company but that doesn't guarantee the formula is the same.
According to people who've lived in the US and the UK, it's very nearly - and possibly exactly - the same formula.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Alternative-to-Dawn-Dish-Soap-in-the-UK.html

You don't want to know what we are charged for various prescription medicines and medical procedures... Dawn soap and its ilk is the tip of the iceberg.

According to people who've lived in the US and the UK, it's very nearly - and possibly exactly - the same formula.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Alternative-to-Dawn-Dish-Soap-in-the-UK.html
In England for anyone over 18 and under 60.. a prescription ( one item) costs Just over £9.00.... for those who are 60 plus... unemployed or under 18 .. the prescription is free..

Last edited:
I always considered Dawn a bargain product. I bought it at a dollar store ($1.25) for a medium size bottle. Considering it didn’t suds up much, I‘ve wondered if it’s fake. Maybe lack of suds is part of what makes it safe enough to wash the wildfowl with.

I always considered Dawn a bargain product. I bought it at a dollar store ($1.25) for a medium size bottle. Considering it didn’t suds up much, I‘ve wondered if it’s fake. Maybe lack of suds is part of what makes it safe enough to wash the wildfowl with.
hmmmm that makes it different then to ''fairy'' because fairy does sud up lots.. and really cuts through grease of any kind...

Dawn Dish Detergent... absolutely loathe it!

Dawn, along with one or two other brands of dish detergent was all that was available for a time last year when the pandemic was bad, and so I caved and bout a bottle. Made my dishcloth smell rancid!

Went back to using Palmolive again when available, sour dishcloth odour went away immediately.

When my husband and I got married he was in the Navy. When he got out and got a job we were out shopping and I saw an outfit that I liked. He told me to buy it. I said I would buy it later when I needed to go someplace special. He yelled "That's what I mean about you! You're cheap !" I snapped back and said, "If I wasn't cheap, you wouldn't be able to buy ."
a $200.suit." That shut him up !

Dawn, along with one or two other brands of dish detergent was all that was available for a time last year when the pandemic was bad, and so I caved and bout a bottle. Made my dishcloth smell rancid!

Went back to using Palmolive again when available, sour dishcloth odour went away immediately.
The best thing about the pandemic was that I convinced DH that it was imperative that I wash the dish clothes daily.

I think our regular dish detergent is Sunlight. It might be Palmolive. It’s whatever is on sale.

Absolutely nothing that has an added scent.

Hey, @Twilighttyme, you're my favorite song!

We like to think we're generous people when it comes to tipping, charities, gifts etc. so I wouldn't say we were cheapskates, but we are very frugal. We do the shampoo bottle and soap sliver things, too, but we're most frugal on the front end, we don't buy very much to begin with. I just have one coat, four pairs of shoes and a really basic wardrobe. I'm still driving my 1998 Neon.

It helps that we hate shopping.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this because I just don't have the patience to read through 6 pages of this thread, but....

I never buy paper napkins. Whenever I eat at a fast food place, I grab a big stack of them out of the napkin dispenser and take them home with me. Why should I buy something burger places give away free? I literally haven't bought napkins in four decades.

Another thing is, I don't pay to watch TV. I gave up cable/satellite TV 18 years ago and put up an antenna. I figure I've saved over $20,000 by not sending money to the cable/satellite company.

Oh, and I also do the paper towel drying thing. So does another guy I know. We'll both even rinse them out first prior to hanging them up to dry. Sometimes you can get three uses out of one. More even....

Some call it being a cheap skate but others call it thrift. Examples:

✔ put tiny pieces of soap, squeeze them into a ball and use the remaining soap until it is all gone

✔ my large shopping bag is worn out but I keep sewing it so that I don't have to buy a new one

✔ wash paper towels, hang them to dry, and re-use them in order to save $ from buying new ones

✔ going to the library and borrow books & movies so as not to buy or rent them

✔ use boiling water to remove labels from spaghetti & other bottles - then use labels as collage & decorate the walls or doors

✔ neighbors always share food bank goods e.g. fruit juice containers, beans, rice ~ will add to or take from occasionally

I gave up cable/satellite TV 18 years ago and put up an antenna. I figure I've saved over $20,000 by not sending money to the cable/satellite company.

I watch international online sports networks in order to watch pay-per-view professional fights, soccer, or other sports. Been doing this for over 10 years and saves me trucks loads of money.

I'm frugal, I'm thrifty, I'd drive you nuts. When a catsup bottle is empty, I turn it upside down on the new one to get every last bit out of the bottle. This is my style. At this time of life it is pointless and I'm trying to stop. Wish me luck!

That makes you a wholesome all American gal!

Thrift is an AMERICAN value to be cherished. Here's the man who said it and proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt:

ben-franklin-industry-frugality-thrift-bw.pdf (americanvalues.org)

Another thing we're "connected" on, Marg!

My mother used Palmolive dish soap for years so that's what I've always used. I was in a cross stitch FB group (not on FB any more!) and someone asked how to get out a stain of some sort on their linen they were stitching on and everyone said soak in Dawn so I figured I must be missing something (I usually am). I splurged and bought a bottle of blue Dawn and I absolutely hate the smell of it!! I'm putting it in the cupboard to use ONLY in an emergency and getting my Palmolive back out. I also only use Ivory bar soap in the shower. It's what my mother used (and Palmolive) and I like the smell and it doesn't have a lot of ingredients. No fancy soaps for me :)

I'm also "frugal" with just about everything. Some times it works out to be a good thing but sometimes it doesn't. Just ask my husband. Here's an example:

Our sweeper died about 2 months ago and when I tried to find the same one to buy, it's no longer made. No surprise there. So....I found a "similar" one at a "frugal" price. Hated that vacuum! It didn't clean the carpet and had such a small tank that I'd have to empty it a couple times when I ran the sweeper. Either we're really dirty people or that tank was so tiny that it didn't hold much. We have a whole house that is carpeted except the bathrooms, kitchen and dining room (they're tiled but need vacuumed also). So, a sweeper in this house gets a workout. Besides, we have 2 long-haired kitties that shed...especially during the summers here in AZ. Anyway....that sweeper killed my back pushing it and it weighed a ton. The Amazon reviews must have been submitted by someone stronger than me and had no carpet or pets. It was boxed up (we save all our boxes) and we dropped it off at ARC for someone else to struggle with. It had low mileage on it so it should last someone for a while.

So, I didn't save any money by being "frugal". I had to buy another sweeper. So it actually cost me twice as much as if I'd just bought a good one in the first place... SHEESH!

Just a short addendum....everyone has mentioned ketchup bottles, etc., so here's another thing I'm "frugal" on. When we have spaghetti, I add the sauce to my meat and then I add a little water to the jar; put the lid back on and shake it to get all the sauce out of the jar. Then I add it to the meat mixture. :)

Last edited:
I watch international online sports networks in order to watch pay-per-view professional fights, soccer, or other sports. Been doing this for over 10 years and saves me trucks loads of money.
I've threatening for the last 5 years or so to cut the cord (we have satellite) because we don't watch anything except the evening news...which we can get on our Roku. We don't watch any tv at all. We watch Netflix or Prime for movies every night. The ONLY reason I've kept satellite is because my husband is a NASCAR fan and he likes to watch the races. I can't find anywhere else but FOX (hate them!) and CBS (I think) that televises the races. An antenna doesn't get any reception in my area here in the desert. If you know anywhere else I can get racing for him, let me know, and then I'd cut the cable in a second.

Back