What is your favorite war movie?

The Dirty Dozen.
The scene where the Canadians arrive is a classic with the bagpipes playing.

A comment from an American.:
As a US Navy submarine veteran, I’m about as “bleed red, white, and blue” as they come. Having said that, this entry by the Canadians is so freaking cool! I could watch this on a continuous loop. What an awesome display of a proud fighting force... glad they were on our side!!

Got a letter from my granddaughter in Italy.
She's disappointed she can't move around Europe more due to the virus.
She and her mother did go to the beach, she said, with friends. She recently turned seventeen
and is learning to spread her wings. She wished a happy Veteran's Day and told me about three old cameras
her other grandfather had beforee he died recently, and that she missed me and loved me dearly.
I've always thought of her as an old soul beyoond her years. It was a sweet letter and I'm glad she
is thoughtful in that way.

The Dirty Dozen.
The scene where the Canadians arrive is a classic with the bagpipes playing.

A comment from an American.:
As a US Navy submarine veteran, I’m about as “bleed red, white, and blue” as they come. Having said that, this entry by the Canadians is so freaking cool! I could watch this on a continuous loop. What an awesome display of a proud fighting force... glad they were on our side!!

That's The Devil's Brigade, not the Dirty Dozen.

'Dunkirk'
'Saving Private Ryan'
'A Bridge Too Far'
'Apocalypse Now'

Added: 'Band of Brothers' (Great TV mini series.)

Closer to reality. No John Wayne coming to the rescue,

Last edited:
Again, I'm the rebel here. Don't like war movies, period. Never watch them. Why? I had 2 uncles shoot in WW II. Too many movies showing macho heroes in wars (John Wayne) while in reality war is often composed of men just trying to survive. War never really solved anything; just maintains ethic hatred for generations. Many war veterans refuse to talk about the war. It just brings back too many painful memories that they would not like to relive again. My thinking is "make love, not war." Maybe I'm just an old hippy but if not, I'm sure a pacifist!

Inglourious Basterds was pretty good.
watched that AGAIN last night for at least the 5-6th time. i think first re-watch was because i didn't catch the "German 3" that caused the "altercation" in the pub/bar.

"The Great Escape"!

"Bridge Over the River Kwai" - saw this in theater on Wildwood NJ boardwalk

& whistled the theme all the way home.

Lots of fine films listed here and I enjoyed watching most of them, but here's one that made a real impression on me: "Culloden". I saw it when I was about 12 yrs old. The English army decisively put down a Scottish attempt to restore the Stuart dynasty.
For an older film the visual depiction of the English cannon fire on the Highlander infantry was pretty graphic.

'The Cruel Sea,' real oldie. Brit destroyer on convey duty in Atlantic...
Spots of horrific action, with long periods of inactivity.
Excellent movie and novel

Anthropoid was pretty good.

Anthropoid_%28film%29.png

Sorry, I'm afraid I put my comment in the wrong thread.
Didn't mean to lead your great thread astray. Don't know
what's wrong with me lately. Will try to be more careful.
Apologies.

Last edited:
the Great Escape, read the true accounts in several books and have watched the movie several times. plus, Steve Mcqueen fan and David Mccallum fan. full metal jacket was just to real for me....

Back