What is your opinion of this quote about adultery?

I never understood a spouse getting mad at the person their spouse is fooling around with. If I were married and caught my wife with another man my anger goes to her not the guy "having fun." The only exception would be if the other guy was a friend of mine and he knew she was my wife. Regardless it is not worth going to jail for so no violence just adios!!

I never understood a spouse getting mad at the person their spouse is fooling around with. If I were married and caught my wife with another man my anger goes to her not the guy "having fun." The only exception would be if the other guy was a friend of mine and he knew she was my wife. Regardless it is not worth going to jail for so no violence just adios!!
I agree, in part anyway. As you're sitting in prison, the thought might occur to you, perhaps the person you were so jealous over, wasn't really worth any emotion or violence, after all!

My sentiment to a T!

This is a quote from an English play called"The Relapse" by Sir John Vanbrugh.

"No man worth having is true to his wife or can be true or ever was or will ever be so."

Please don't associate me with this quote. I'm just asking.
I don't know Sir John Vanbrugh & am not impressed by the quote. His view of how a man's worth is determined, could be he is justifying his own behavior. To accept his view as a truth IMO is just plain wrong.

Win you would actually blame the woman? You amaze me with your thinking. I'm sure most women marry with the thought that their man will be true. If he's not I don't see how that could be her fault as long as she's done her part in the marriage. I'm old fashioned. I believe that if I decide to marry it's goin to be for life. Otherwise there's no sense in messin with it.

Having known a woman who cheated on her husband I lost total respect for her and it ended a friendship we had for many years. Surprisingly they stayed married after he found out about her affair. She even had sex in her own home while her husband was in bed after back surgery. He even found out that wasn't the only time she had cheated on him. I believe he stayed with her because of their 2 children. How could he ever believe she wouldn't do it again. I know I would have walked away.

"No man worth having is true to his wife or can be true or ever was or will ever be so."
I have to wonder what "worth" is being referred to? Money? Charm? Connections?
As far as I personally, am concerned, there is no "worth" great enough to merit staying with a cheat - and a lot of health reasons not to - both physical and mental.

Win you would actually blame the woman? You amaze me with your thinking. I'm sure most women marry with the thought that their man will be true. If he's not I don't see how that could be her fault as long as she's done her part in the marriage. I'm old fashioned. I believe that if I decide to marry it's goin to be for life. Otherwise there's no sense in messin with it.
You missed the point. Often times, a woman knows she's making a bad choice in a man, but she refuses to acknowledge that he's a bad choice. She has her heart set on him for whatever reason (low self esteem, desperation, loneliness, or in Nicole Brown Simpson's case, money). Then, when he acts like exactly what he is, she says, "He wasn't like that when I married him."
Yes, he was like that, dear; you were just in denial.

Having known a woman who cheated on her husband I lost total respect for her and it ended a friendship we had for many years. Surprisingly they stayed married after he found out about her affair. She even had sex in her own home while her husband was in bed after back surgery. He even found out that wasn't the only time she had cheated on him. I believe he stayed with her because of their 2 children. How could he ever believe she wouldn't do it again. I know I would have walked away.
Reality is hard to face for some people. Denial - it's not just a river in Egypt.

You missed the point. Often times, a woman knows she's making a bad choice in a man, but she refuses to acknowledge that he's a bad choice. She has her heart set on him for whatever reason (low self esteem, desperation, loneliness, or in Nicole Brown Simpson's case, money). Then, when he acts like exactly what he is, she says, "He wasn't like that when I married him."
Yes, he was like that, dear; you were just in denial.
That's not always the case though. I had a lady friend that had fallen in love and married a man who she thought loved her and was faithful. After 10 years he went out and found himself a little somethin on the side and then threw a fit when she wanted to leave him. He informed her later that he didn't love her when they married. He just didn't want her to leave him. Some fellas are just downright deceitful. I feel bad for some of these ladies that have to go through all that.

The best I can say is infidelity, adultery and cheating is wrong for me. As for other people and their circumstances I am not one to judge. Suppose a wife is left behind while her soldier husband is on tour. Is it natural for either party not to engage in sex while separated if it is a long period of time?

Some men are notorious about choosing specific women to prey upon. This usually involves monetary gain or simply the thrill of the hunt and capture. I assume women can be equally devious, fortunately nothing of this nature has happened to me.

If we're going to trash married men (and I suppose women) what do we say about folks who "live together" for years and are free to bang away with no vows to break. Or what about folks who engage in an "open" marriage and go on for years without divorce or separation. And we can put aside those who just don't enjoy engaging in sex - - period!

Too easy to be "holier than thou' whenever subjects similar to this arise.

Same thing with Drunk driving. If you listen to almost every forum out there, no one drives drunk or only did it as teens/early 20's. If this is true and and represents a cross section of the country, drunk driving incidents would be a rarity, and they're not!!

Dave A said:
Same thing with Drunk driving. If you listen to almost every forum out there, no one drives drunk or only did it as teens/early 20's. If this is true and and represents a cross section of the country, drunk driving incidents would be a rarity, and they're not!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drove vehicle drunk as i could possibly get for a period of time
drove to night school drunk, sit in class drunk (i was a teacher's terror)
thought about during snowstorms, until i got home
drove drunk till i ran out of stupidity, age undetermined

nerves gave out around age 26, didn't stop me from driving drunk , just scared while i was doing it
females frown on drunk drivers, especially when your trying to lure them into your car.

Last edited:
If we're going to trash married men (and I suppose women) what do we say about folks who "live together" for years and are free to bang away with no vows to break. Or what about folks who engage in an "open" marriage and go on for years without divorce or separation. And we can put aside those who just don't enjoy engaging in sex - - period!

It isn't just about the infidelity, it's about the betrayal. If you have an "open" marriage/living arrangement and each partner knows about and gives approval to "open" behavior, no problem, but if there is an agreement between you to be faithful and one partner betrays that on the QT then there is the issue of dishonesty in addition to the infidelity. If you need sexual variety, don't get married or find a partner who's OK with an "open" arrangement.

There was a brilliantly constructed advert, or trailer for a show, lasting about thirty seconds only, where a couple meet for the first time to have a meal in a restaurant, and they go from telling one another how gorgeous they think the other is, to proposing marriage, to deciding how many kids they should have, then it suddenly turns around and they're splitting up again and arguing about who keeps what, as they storm off from the table, having not even had the starter!

It's been shown many times, and I think the tag line was something about "some things are uncertain in life, but then there is this credit card that won't let you down", (or whatever the product, or message was about, tv licences perhaps?).

It contained a real grain of truth though, because if you could really uncover what each party to a marriage was about, what they really believed, as far as how much they put their own interests first, and what they mean when they say they love someone, or if they mean it at all, you'd be a long way forward and yet it would be a painful process for both parties perhaps(?).

I remember too, a tv documentary about the attitudes of two young tribespeople in Africa about to be married, or just married. There was some kind of dispute between them, and certainly the man believed he must not be the one to back down and start speaking to his new wife again, or this would undermine their relationship, or set the tone for the rest of the marriage. My late father told me his dad and mum split after a very few weeks of marriage, maybe because of my grandfathers quick temper, but he waited the week or so until my grandmother returned too, so wouldn't give in, but welcomed her back and revered her thereafter.

A long way from considering the importance or otherwise of infidelity all this, but that is my point (if I have one), there was no infidelity in my grandfathers marriage, nor anything close to it, once they'd come to understand and appreciate one another. :) .

Dave A said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drove vehicle drunk as i could possibly get for a period of time
drove to night school drunk, sit in class drunk (i was a teacher's terror)
thought about during snowstorms, until i got home
drove drunk till i ran out of stupidity, age undetermined

nerves gave out around age 26, didn't stop me from driving drunk , just scared while i was doing it
females frown on drunk drivers, especially when your trying to lure them into your car.

I feel you jo. I drank my weight in beer during both failed marriages. The second wife blamed me for not having enough seniority to get the local job bids and for three years I had to drive two and a half hours to my reporting terminal. Okay honey instead of driving home in my car at the end of my shift I'll just tear the train off the tracks and drive that home. The first wife blamed me for not asking for a raise from a railroad that was filing for bankruptcy and we all know who that was. Okay honey I'll just ask for a raise from the boss while he updates his resume and clears out his desk. When the going gets tough the tough come home and sleep in the car.

When the going gets tough the tough come home and sleep in the car.:ROFLMAO:šŸ˜

And/or on the side of the road, under bridges is cool, if you can get to one.
Snow and ice hamper a fell's bedroll.
Oh dear, the trials and tribulation of a man that has a drink now and then

Drive the train home, that is a novel idea, certainly get the powers that be attention.
"Son we'll pay you anything, just quit driving the trains:oops: home, anything!

Is Holier than thou a new member?
Is Holier than thou a new member?
Not new, just appears whenever a controversial topic surfaces. Far as I can see, none of us, or for the most part, folks on any senior forum tolerate "cheating" or ever participated in such "activities" and only the teens and 20-somes drink and drive. Does that seem like the world around us??

Some men are notorious about choosing specific women to prey upon. This usually involves monetary gain or simply the thrill of the hunt and capture. I assume women can be equally devious, fortunately nothing of this nature has happened to me.
Well there was an older woman in her 70s after I got out of the hospital. She was lonely but not devious.

Back