What scares the $%#t& out of you?

I used to be deathly afraid of spiders, but I seem to have gotten over that. I don't like them, but I don't have the old compulsion to burn the house down when I see one.

As a child and teen, I was scared to death of self-service elevators (from a bad incident when I was about 9 or so). I would walk up ten flights of stairs to avoid one. I got over that one, too. They don't bother me at all.

I've never gotten over my fear of ferris wheels, though. I'll go on the big fully-enclosed ones, but an open one? No way!

I'm generally rather capable of grabbing many invertebrates and small creatures like snakes. But out in the field, walking into a spider web ( Like a big garden spider web that is across a hiking or use trail.) that tends to result in a spider crawling about on one's clothing, instantly go nuts. We grade school kids would instantly start running about berzerk like shaking our bodies wildly intent on shaking the spider off while any other kids would be rolling on the ground laughing hysterically. The scariest spider web I ever saw was in a Southeast Asia jungle. Almost walked into this huge circular web, just inches away from my face, a truly enormous spider right in the middle.

There are called phobias, but they are what scares the #$@% out of you. We all have them. In a 'true crime' TV show, a woman is giving an account of the crime, when her son-in-law finds a spider in the upstairs bathroom. He lets out this rather unmasculine scream. I have too many phobias to list here, the main ones are heights and snakes. What scares the ***** out of you?
I would tell you but it's political.

You are braver than me. No way I would have a snake in my house let alone in bed. Where did you eventually find it?
One night about six months later, I put my toddler to bed, then tried to open his door all the way and it wouldn't go back to the wall. I thought I must have left a blanket over it. One feel in the dark told me what it was. Yep, he'd been living the life somewhere like the cellar of our old house. I got a trash can with a locking lid, grabbed him behind the head, threw him in and locked the lid on him. I left him there until my husband got home a few days later from a job he was doing. Unfortunately he hadn't smothered to death.

Being buried alive by mistake. I read too many Edgar Allen Poe stories.
This actually happened to an unfortunate young Argentinian woman by the name of Rufina Cambeceres, buried in the world famous Cemetery in Buenos Aries called Recoleta Cemetery:

Of course no cemetery would be complete without a ghost story or two and Recoleta Cemetery is no exception. There are many stories of hauntings and curious happenings here. One of tales that resonated with me the most was the tragic story of 19-year-old Rufina Cambecéres, who was a socialite and the only daughter of a famous Argentine writer, died suddenly in 1902. It was raining on the day her casket arrived at Recoleta so it was left in the Chapel overnight. Legend has it that a cemetery worker noticed the casket lid had been shifted, and since Rufina was from a wealthy family, they thought someone might be after her valuables and have robbed the grave. However, when her casket was opened and closely examined, the truth was much worse. None of her jewelry was missing but instead, they found scratch marks on her and all over the inside of the casket: she had been mistakenly presumed dead and was buried alive! Later thought that she had collapsed from an attack of cataplexy, which caused several doctors to believe that she was dead. When she woke up and found herself sealed in a casket, the fright, the terror and the failed attempt of escape eventually gave her a heart attack which became the real cause of her unfortunate death.

Like others stated, being dependent on others. The thought of going into a nursing home terrifies me. Also falling or some other type of accident and being incapacitated the rest of my life.

Other things: heights, spiders, a 3rd world war, earth being hit with a large meteor and causing an extinction level event, looking at myself in pictures (ugh).

I'm generally rather capable of grabbing many invertebrates and small creatures like snakes. But out in the field, walking into a spider web ( Like a big garden spider web that is across a hiking or use trail.) that tends to result in a spider crawling about on one's clothing, instantly go nuts. We grade school kids would instantly start running about berzerk like shaking our bodies wildly intent on shaking the spider off while any other kids would be rolling on the ground laughing hysterically. The scariest spider web I ever saw was in a Southeast Asia jungle. Almost walked into this huge circular web, just inches away from my face, a truly enormous spider right in the middle.
Yea, that sets me off....

69177315_2502976346392346_3572646035530448896_n.jpg

I suffer from entomophobia. I have a fear of insects. It can be extreme, particularly when I’m surprised by a bug, spiders especially but really any bug other than lady bugs and butterflies, and some moths.

It’s really embarrassing because I am not given to panic. I’m excellent in an emergency. I am very level headed and practical. But when I’m surprised by a bug, or cornered by one, I lose focus, I hyperventilate, I cry, and generally get hysterical. I am THE MOST UN-HYSTERICAL person in almost all circumstances, except when it comes to insects. 😣😖

I used to be deathly afraid of spiders, but I seem to have gotten over that. I don't like them, but I don't have the old compulsion to burn the house down when I see one.

As a child and teen, I was scared to death of self-service elevators (from a bad incident when I was about 9 or so). I would walk up ten flights of stairs to avoid one. I got over that one, too. They don't bother me at all.

I've never gotten over my fear of ferris wheels, though. I'll go on the big fully-enclosed ones, but an open one? No way!
I'm much the same as you, having gotten over fears/phobias that I had when young such as the dentist, large spiders and snakes. I don't fear getting mugged or a home invasion and I am sensible enough to avoid being out in the open during thunderstorms. I actually find thunder and lightning quite exhilarating. I love flying, especially in small planes, but I am not mad enough to parachute jump just for kicks.

I reckon that I am quite well adapted for living in my customary environment.

I have always had a fear of snakes, can't stand to even see a picture of
one. They give me nightmares!
Now I am afraid of the severe storms that are happening here and world wide.

Back