What television show were you not allowed to watch as a teenager?

I didn't watch much TV, either. A ball game once in a while, and I remember that was super awesome. But we didn't get a TV until I was 16 and by then I was working full time, and on the weekends usually played ball all day and just sort of wandered about with friends in the evenings.

There was a popular sitcom serial in Australia that was very daring. Neighbours it was not.
It was titled Number 96.
Parents tried to stop their kids watching with not much success.

Number 96 is an Australian television soap opera/serial that broadcast from March 1972 to August 1977. It screened week nights in the prime time 8.30 pm slot and was one of the most popular Australian TV series of the 1970s.

Storylines explored the lives and relationships of the residents of a four-storey block of flats at 96 Lindsay Street, Paddington. The building has eight apartments, a ground floor delicatessen and a chemist shop. The chemist soon became a wine bar, which finally became a disco shortly before the series ended.

Number 96 became famous for its adult storylines, nude glimpses, and comedy characters, as well as its Agatha Christie-style whodunnit story arcs.[1] There were many controversial storylines and firsts, including the world's first gay character, an interracial romance, and other taboo subjects that were not being addressed at that time in America.[1]

Creators Don Cash and Bill Harmon of Cash Harmon Television produced the series for the 0–10 Network, which was in third place in the ratings behind the Nine Network and Seven Network. The 0-10 network had requested a series similar to the British soap opera Coronation Street, and specifically one that explored adult subjects. Number 96 was later likened to US series Peyton Place.[1]

We were allowed to watch almost any show . "I Loved Lucy" was a favorite of mine but it went off 15 minutes after my bedtime and no matter how much I tried to see the whole show my Mom wouldn't let us stay up to see the last 15 minutes.

I used to watch cartoons and kid shows at a neighbor's house on Saturday mornings when I was little, like 4 or 5yrs old. That only lasted a few months at most, and then we moved.

My family didn't have a TV until I was a teenager. I think I was 15 when dad got the family one for Christmas.

Answer to the question: We weren't allowed to watch Laugh-In after we all watched the first couple of episodes.

My older brother was totally hooked on Star Trek. He later had a career in "space engineering". That was a thing.

My favorite shows were The Man From UNCLE, and Mission Impossible, but I never became a secret agent. I did almost enter training for police officers when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. I passed all the tests, and I was accepted into the academy, but by then I hated Phoenix - insufferably hot, crowded, bleak; a miserable, place full of miserable people - so I moved to Colorado.

We all watched The Ed Sullivan Show every week. It was excellent.

This thread brought back a memory to me.I had to go to bed at 9pm every night.On tuesday my Mom would go to BINGO and watching tv my Dad would fall asleep.I would be really quiet and what ever channel he had on I wouldn't change it so as not to disturb him.So I would watch whatever came on and run up to bed before my Mom would come home.

This thread brought back a memory to me.I had to go to bed at 9pm every night.On tuesday my Mom would go to BINGO and watching tv my Dad would fall asleep.I would be really quiet and what ever channel he had on I wouldn't change it so as not to disturb him.So I would watch whatever came on and run up to bed before my Mom would come home.
Sassy, where have you been, are you ok ? we've missed you..we were worried about you... :unsure:

We had two televisions. Mother had her own in the kitchen with her own schedule. Papa had his in the living room. I always watched with Papa. Sports, educational programs and more.

Once he'd passed away in 74, I inherited his television. So, pretty much, I watched whatever I wanted... Later on, I had to replace it and if I didn't go out, I'd watched until round 4am... The MTV video years...

American television was so wholesome, generic, and vanilla-flavored in the 50’s and 60’s that I received no bans; heck, Lucy and Ricky Ricardo slept in separate beds! “Aww shucks” was the closest thing to profanity, too. I used to delight in watching Chiller Theater as a child on Saturday night with Jiffy Pop popcorn and think the parental units thought some of it might give me nightmares, but I proved them wrong. Scary movies weren’t terribly graphic back then…🙀
We only had 3 channels when I was a kid and I too remember Chiller Theater! I think the show that scared me a little was The Outer Limits. But there was no ban on programs back then. Like you all are saying, everything was G-rated. But I do remember having an 8:00pm bedtime and wanting to be up with my folks watching Perry Mason or Rawhide.

I wasn't banned from watching this one program, but my parents were worried that I enjoyed it so much.
They said it didn't make any sense and was some kind of counter culture garbage.

"The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan and my favorite, Leo McKern as Number Two.

This show was the first time I thought, 'this is how to do TV'.

Still consider it one of the best TV shows from the 60's.

Back