What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Last night "Farewell, My Lovely". Entertaining enough. Neither of us remembered it being in theaters when it was new.

Attachments

• 220px-Poster_Farewell_My_Lovely_1975.jpg
    220px-Poster_Farewell_My_Lovely_1975.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1
Did you watch the unedited, full-length movie or the TV version?
In the original version, they didn't do it. Ford says, "If we made love last night, I would have to stay, or you would have to leave."
My original post: Witness with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. Talk about star crossed lovers! I would like other's thoughts on the scene where John Book and Rachel are finally kissing out in the field by the bird feeder. The movie cuts away from that scene. I've always wondered if the audience is supposed to assume they finally made love or did John Book still resist?

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I meant the scene where Rachael walked out into the field where John Book was replacing the bird house. They were kissing and then the scene cut away. Did they make love then? The scene you referred to was when Rachael was in the chicken house collecting eggs, and Book was talking to her through the screen door about the previous night when he saw her taking a sponge bath and he just walked away.

My original post: Witness with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. Talk about star crossed lovers! I would like other's thoughts on the scene where John Book and Rachel are finally kissing out in the field by the bird feeder. The movie cuts away from that scene. I've always wondered if the audience is supposed to assume they finally made love or did John Book still resist?

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I meant the scene where Rachael walked out into the field where John Book was replacing the bird house. They were kissing and then the scene cut away. Did they make love then? The scene you referred to was when Rachael was in the chicken house collecting eggs, and Book was talking to her through the screen door about the previous night when he saw her taking a sponge bath and he just walked away.
Ah, I get it now. Maybe they left it up to our imagination.

"William"​

They clone a human Neanderthal from a 40,000 year old one. He has a limited cognitive ability for abstract thought. It is the primal part of us humans. We also have a limited ability for abstract thought, and yet we believe different. This was the primary practice in the monastery...quit spinning fairy tales...be conscious of the stories you are telling....and then still the mind from thinking. I see some connection with what the ancient east figured out 1000's of years ago and our great...great...great ancestors. There is great line in the movie when they guy starts figuring out he doesn't like abstract thought "why did you want to make up stories/lies about what is basically real". I have been meditating on this for a few days, and have had a few 'breakthroughs" to the real/moment without a story. It is totally direct. There is also a mystical ambience that seems to connect all that is recognized. Maybe this where "God/gods started.?

Last night I watched Prince Among Slaves, a documentary about Abdul Ibrahim. Interesting true story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdulrahman_Ibrahim_Ibn_Sori

The story of an African prince, a well educated man from a wealthy family who was captured and sold as a slave, ending up on a plantation in Mississippi for most of his life. The movie does a good job of showing the cruelty of slavery, it also makes a few points on the complexity of the issue. Pointing out that when he was captured, in the latter half of the 18th century, more than half the people on earth were living as slaves or under some kind of bondage. It also points out that the man's family wealth and power came from being involved in the slave trade, capturing and selling slaves, and that he himself probably participated. These are not the main points of the show, but are not covered up. Slavery was an awful thing, and its history more complex than most appreciate.

Last edited:
We've been watching the Ken Burns four part special on Mohamed Ali. It's fascinating, especially since I watched most of Ali's fights back in the '70s on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Remember that show? But those fights were when Ali was well past his prime. I wonder how a young Ali would have matched up against Foreman or Frazier.

The fourth and final episode is tomorrow night. It's going to lead off with the Rumble in the Jungle. All the episodes are available for streaming using the PBS app.

We've been watching the Ken Burns four part special on Mohamed Ali. It's fascinating, especially since I watched most of Ali's fights back in the '70s on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Remember that show? But those fights were when Ali was well past his prime. I wonder how a young Ali would have matched up against Foreman or Frazier.

The fourth and final episode is tomorrow night. It's going to lead off with the Rumble in the Jungle. All the episodes are available for streaming using the PBS app.
I watched that special. He was really a fascinating guy, even if you didn't care for boxing.

We watched the final episode of the Ken Burns documentary about Muhamad Ali this evening. That was quite a story! We seniors have lived through some spectacular times! The '60s and '70s had the greatest boxing matches, greatest car racing, greatest music, great literature... We're lucky to have been from that generation. We were the greatest generations! :cool:

Child 44
Pedophile in Stalin's Russia where crime does not occur in 'workers paradise'.
Film is more about the grim, gritty Russia of that era, where people have to denounce each other to survive.
The film is a study on the effects of living in a totalitarian state.

Last edited:
Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali (Netflix stream)

Good documentary about the relationship between Ali and Malcolm X: two charismatic figures who had a pretty big influence on the civil rights movement of the '60s. It showed how each grew into icons of the age, beginning with their childhoods.

News of the World, Tom Hanks 2020
1865 Texas during Reconstruction, Hanks makes his living traveling around reading newspapers to the illiterate in small towns. (?)
He finds a girl that was kidnapped and raised by Indians.
He takes girl on a 300 mile trip to Dallas...encounters bad people on the trip.

Disappointed, weak screen play, Hanks is excellent playing every man, but not westerns.

Back