What Was Your First Sign Of Aging?

Last edited:
How did he lose his eye?

I once saw a news article where this guy was doing some pruning and somehow the shear went into his eye. He drove himself to the hospital like that, with the tool sticking out of his eye. Just remembering the photo makes me feel like fainting.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/na...ars-himself-in-the-eye-has-full-recovery.html
He lost it in a DUI and I temporarily left him.🙁
I won’t go into the details but he’s been sober from alcohol ever since (over 25 years now ) and rarely if ever touches cannabis so I’m VERY proud of him. He’s a very responsible man. Almost the opposite of me 😬 but I guess opposites attract.
Mind you I rarely drink since I support his sobriety

Last edited:
He’s also used his experience to help others. He’s part of the safety committee where he works and often reminds people to wear their safety glasses. One time he actually popped his glass eye 👁 out to make a point. He said the guy almost fainted but always wore his safety glasses after that.
Sorry for taking it off topic.

signs of aging for me: hands , grey hair

For me it was when I began to read the famous birthdays of people each day in the newspaper.
Just a few years ago, I began to notice that I did not know any famous people under 60, and I kept asking my wife who they were.

Well, she is 7 yrs younger than me, so she knew a few of them, but now she is getting like me, and very rarely do we know any famous people under 60 like we used to. So now I just ignore anyone younger than about 70, since they are strangers to me, and most of them are rock stars or entertainers.

He’s also used his experience to help others. He’s part of the safety committee where he works and often reminds people to wear their safety glasses. One time he actually popped his glass eye 👁 out to make a point. He said the guy almost fainted but always wore his safety glasses after that.
Sorry for taking it off topic.

signs of aging for me: hands , grey hair
Three generations of males on my father's side have lost sight in their right eye before the age of 25 (Grandfather, father and son) - I think we were cursed. (It stopped with me - Thankfully)

When I lost my mother, my last parent, when I was orphaned. A few weeks prior, some older women at work were saying how young I appeared, and behaved. I was 51. I said to them "It's because I still have my mommy." 😢

When I lost my mother, my last parent, when I was orphaned. A few weeks prior, some older women at work were saying how young I appeared, and behaved. I was 51. I said to them "It's because I still have my mommy." 😢
I lost my mother when I was 18 ( I lost my youth then) ... I became an orphan then as far as I was concerned, even tho' my father didn't die until I was 53 years old...

I've never had pretty hands (unlike my daughter)...so aside from the first signs of grey hair , I think my hands getting noticeably old-lady like and wrinkled , was my first sign...

I've always looked young for my age so always had to prove I was old enough for everything, so perhaps the first time I wasn't asked for proof might have been the first time I realised I was looking older... :D

You're very lucky not to have wrinkles at almost 73 do you have olive skin ? :)
I'm a Black woman Hollydolly. I have brown skin. As you may know, our skin usually doesn't show aging as quickly as Caucasians.

Last edited:
I know it sounds vain, but I hate the way my fingers look. I've only got OA in several fingers not all but still, the knuckles look like they belong to someone else. My husband says he never notices, and doesn't think anyone else notices... but I feel I should be like the queen and wear gloves everytime I go out... ( I don't of course, but I feel if I could get some really nice ones I would to hide my fingers)... in the winter when it's cold or damp or when there's another knuckle growing a spur of bone, it's very painful
hollydolly.....You should get the gloves if it makes you feel better! I really don’t think anyone will question you about them, besides who cares, one of the perks of getting older is doing whatever we darn please!!

I'm 68 and have only a little gray hair, so not that. Needing progressive lenses was the first hint. Then creaky, stiff joints, at first only in the morning or after a long car ride, then more frequently. But the biggie was when my doctor began her sentences with, "Well, at your age..." Or ended them with, "It's just your age." Sheesh!

Not being able to walk as fast, not being able to shop as long either. Not doing silly things like climbing ladders, being more cautious because living alone I don’t want to break anything. I’m 77 years old but until my husband died I never felt old, I think living alone makes me feel old!

When I fell in our apartment four years ago. Have never been same since. Cant get the on floor for yoga. Can only take a shower- cant get out if tub good.
The list goes on. I have no facial wrinkles to speak of- but the rest of me has gone down the tubs. My once thick red hair is now thin and wispy looking. I hate that the most.

I've had white hair since my 30's so that isn't a major issue for me. Only in the last two years, since degeneration in my hip has reached the bone-on-bone stage have I really felt my age.

Back