What's the best way to get a man to like you at age 53

I remember when my uncle died after a long-term illness, my aunt said that if she were to marry again the guy would have to provide a certificate of good health. She was 56 at the time. She's now 93 and still single.
Those were my thoughts after my husband died. You NEVER want to live through the death of a husband again!
All these experiences make you stronger though.

Me too. It might get someone to hang out with for a bit.
I watched a tv documentary last night on Boris Pasternak, the writer of Dr. Zhivago, amongst other things, (a great Russian poet too I believe, who took something like twenty years to complete his most famous work, all under Stalinist rule).

He took up with a woman of about 35 years of age, when he was approaching sixty I believe, and this love affair provided the inspiration for one of the main characters in the book. He'd been married a couple of times before this affair, but the love this woman had for him meant she never succumbed to implicate Boris when she herself was imprisoned and given hard labour, on spurious charges of having anti soviet views.

It would appear then that some great men, and women I'd guess, can overcome issues like large age differences, though I must admit I dont think I could myself. :unsure:.

I watched a tv documentary last night on Boris Pasternak, the writer of Dr. Zhivago, amongst other things, (a great Russian poet too I believe, who took something like twenty years to complete his most famous work, all under Stalinist rule).

He took up with a woman of about 35 years of age, when he was approaching sixty I believe, and this love affair provided the inspiration for one of the main characters in the book. He'd been married a couple of times before this affair, but the love this woman had for him meant she never succumbed to implicate Boris when she herself was imprisoned and given hard labour, on spurious charges of having anti soviet views.

It would appear then that some great men, and women I'd guess, can overcome issues like large age differences, though I must admit I dont think I could myself. :unsure:.
When I was 35 a guy 60 would have been too old and wrinkly for me to want to sleep with. He would have been a dad to me.

I remember when my uncle died after a long-term illness, my aunt said that if she were to marry again the guy would have to provide a certificate of good health. She was 56 at the time. She's now 93 and still single.
It's very considerate of your aunt to stay single.
Since good health today doesn't guarantee good health tomorrow, ask your aunt what she would do if she married a guy who provided her with a good-health certificate & he got sick later. Divorce him?

During a period in which I worked as an engineering manager, I had to take a 12 session class (one per week for 12 weeks) about managing people. Since I was never really interested in being a manager and eventually went back to engineering, there was only one class that really stood out for me. That class discussed how different generations view the world differently due to what was/is going on in their world during the majority of their lives.

I really saw the differences between the "Depression baby" and "baby boomers" (my generation) when we first bought our condo. At that time, most of the original people were still living there and most had sold their big suburban house after their kids grew up and left home (this was before the kids started coming back home as adults) and downsized to condo living.

One thing I really noticed was the difference in attitude toward money. The "Depression baby" folks generally seemed very fiscally conservative and seemed to not be in debt, while my generation can't seem to borrow and acquire fast enough. I learned a lot from those folks and am not like that at all. We have had some disagreements on our board now that those original people are gone because I want to make sure we have the money for repairs before we spend it (continue the policies of that first group of people), while others seem to want to borrow, borrow, borrow. I also saw the difference in the quantity and quality of the cars, big TVs, etc., again showing the conservative nature of the previous generation.

On the negative side, those first folks were very concerned as people from non-white nationalities started buying into our building. That attitude concerned me, but since the original people are gone, we don't seem to have that problem anymore, with the exception of a very few. I much prefer that people, being human, be welcomed into our community.

What I notice with the younger generations moving in now in addition to the attitude toward finances (debt for everything just seems to be a part of their lives for some reason) is that the big events of my generation are nothing more than something they read about in high school and therefore have little or no meaning in their lives. I realize in hindsight that this is also true for me and the generation that preceded me. For me, WWII was a big deal, but only through movies and reading history. It was totally life altering for the previous generation.

It would seem odd to me if I were in a relationship with a woman from another generation that our respective cultural references would be completely lost on the other. A much younger person wouldn't really know who The Beatles were, any more than I know who Beyonce or Justin Bieber is. To me, such little things are a normal part of communication that form a bond, and that would be missing. Our respective frames of reference would be quite different, and I am not sure that could be overlooked. It is the little things of everyday life that seem to really serve to build a solid bond, and if a lot of that is missing, I am not sure that such a relationship could survive unless there was some other form of inter-dependence to replace it.

Just some thoughts on the age difference thing...

Tony

"39 police officers in the U.S. have been killed so far this year?" That pales in comparison to the number of non police officers killed so far this year. A police officer has one of the safest jobs in the world. In fact, statistically, a store clerk has a much-riskier job.

In 2013, out of approximately 900,000 sworn officers, just 100 died from a job-related injury. That's about 11.1 per 100,000, or a rate of 0.01%.

Policing doesn't even make it into the top 10 most dangerous American professions. Logging has a fatality rate 11 times higher, at 127.8 per 100,000. Fishing: 117 per 100,000. Pilot/flight engineer: 53.4 per 100,000. It's twice as dangerous to be a truck driver as a copā€”at 22.1 per 100,000.

Exaggeration is impressive.......to the ignorant.
One gets the impression that you may have been waiting for an opportunity to slam police officers. If not, I fail to see why you have tried to take this thread into a direction that serves no purpose related to the original question.

During a period in which I worked as an engineering manager, I had to take a 12 session class (one per week for 12 weeks) about managing people. Since I was never really interested in being a manager and eventually went back to engineering, there was only one class that really stood out for me. That class discussed how different generations view the world differently due to what was/is going on in their world during the majority of their lives.

I really saw the differences between the "Depression baby" and "baby boomers" (my generation) when we first bought our condo. At that time, most of the original people were still living there and most had sold their big suburban house after their kids grew up and left home (this was before the kids started coming back home as adults) and downsized to condo living.

One thing I really noticed was the difference in attitude toward money. The "Depression baby" folks generally seemed very fiscally conservative and seemed to not be in debt, while my generation can't seem to borrow and acquire fast enough. I learned a lot from those folks and am not like that at all. We have had some disagreements on our board now that those original people are gone because I want to make sure we have the money for repairs before we spend it (continue the policies of that first group of people), while others seem to want to borrow, borrow, borrow. I also saw the difference in the quantity and quality of the cars, big TVs, etc., again showing the conservative nature of the previous generation.

On the negative side, those first folks were very concerned as people from non-white nationalities started buying into our building. That attitude concerned me, but since the original people are gone, we don't seem to have that problem anymore, with the exception of a very few. I much prefer that people, being human, be welcomed into our community.

What I notice with the younger generations moving in now in addition to the attitude toward finances (debt for everything just seems to be a part of their lives for some reason) is that the big events of my generation are nothing more than something they read about in high school and therefore have little or no meaning in their lives. I realize in hindsight that this is also true for me and the generation that preceded me. For me, WWII was a big deal, but only through movies and reading history. It was totally life altering for the previous generation.

It would seem odd to me if I were in a relationship with a woman from another generation that our respective cultural references would be completely lost on the other. A much younger person wouldn't really know who The Beatles were, any more than I know who Beyonce or Justin Bieber is. To me, such little things are a normal part of communication that form a bond, and that would be missing. Our respective frames of reference would be quite different, and I am not sure that could be overlooked. It is the little things of everyday life that seem to really serve to build a solid bond, and if a lot of that is missing, I am not sure that such a relationship could survive unless there was some other form of inter-dependence to replace it.

Just some thoughts on the age difference thing...

Tony
What you said is well-stated. I've noticed the generational differences a lot. I was and still am financially conservative, because of years of poverty. I learned from my parents, and I learned from my own experiences. I'm a boomer. In general Generation X and on down, at least the ones I've met, seem to expect to be able to live with their parents forever and never have to be fully responsible for themselves. They seemed to expect to easily be able to buy the same kind of house their parents worked hard for. The ones in between the boomer and the Xes have their own mindsets.

One gets the impression that you may have been waiting for an opportunity to slam police officers. If not, I fail to see why you have tried to take this thread into a direction that serves no purpose related to the original question.
One gets the impression that reading is not one of your strengths.

Review my post #49. I said: "Some women are attracted to a man in uniform."
Then review 911's post #61. He said: "They need to pick a different uniform. It seems that in today's society, most police uniforms have a target on the back. At last count, I read that 39 police officers in the U.S. have been feloniously killed so far this year."
Then you may realize who took this thread into a different direction.

Last edited:
Oh No! Your annotations have been caustic to 911, RGP, and now you're insulting Pecos? No, no no!
I know you've had a hard life and you hurt inside but please don't do this to men warranting the highest respect!
Same suggestion: Review my post #49 & 911's post #61. :)

Not much of one, it appears
Back in the long ago days when I worked for a very large corporation, uninvolved senior managers would occasionally come by with ridiculous changes that we'd have to institute. When they became distracted by something sparkly in another department we could undo their damage and set things straight again.

We called them "seagull managers." Like the birds, they'd fly over, take a dump without regard to where it landed, then continue on the breeze.

I think of that term when I see threads like this. One post with 122 responses, but the gull apparently didn't interrupt her flight long enough to notice where her droppings landed.

Seagull posters.

Last edited:

Back