Who Won't Opt For The Vaccine

For the last question: Why all the hoopla for one vaccine? None of the current ones close to FDA Accelerated Approval been proved effective and won't be until after the fast track roll out when Phase IV trials will start.
When would you expect that to be, Annie?

For those of you promoting the vaccine, why so hysterical about others who are hesitating? If YOU want to take the vaccine, then take it. You will be protected from those of us who choose not to, so what's the big deal?
Bingo. Just as with flu shots, the people who get hysterical about others who hesitate, lack confidence in their decision. They gain confidence when others make the same decision they made.
We see this in many other health areas:
"What?? You're 75 & you never had a colonoscopy? What the hell is wrong with you?"
"What?? You're not taking statins? What the hell is wrong with you?"
"What?? You haven't had a physical in 10 years?" What the hell is wrong with you?"

Becky, nothing wrong with praying all day for a safe and effective vaccine, if that's what you think it takes to get one. (I don't.) But developing this vaccine and getting it distributed and used requires more than prayer. Taking any medication requires a certain amount of trust in the medical and scientific communities.

We all have to reach a certain balance between fear of the unknown, and fear of a very much known danger. For those of us in seniorhood, the danger of dying from this disease is pretty high, and even if you don't die from it, it's certainly not something anyone in their right mind would want to get.

Sadly, this disease was so politicized, at least in this country, that many have allowed that to sway their thinking on the subject. We all have to clear our minds from group thinking, us vs. them, and just pay attention to the numbers. How many people have died from it? Is the curve continuing to go up, or is it flattening? And when the vaccine is finally in use, how many have died or gotten seriously ill from taking it? This is just plain old common sense.

When they came out with a new pneumonia vaccine, and a better vaccine against shingles, my doctor recommended both, and I immediately got them. (No side effects from either.) I didn't embark on a comprehensive study of these vaccines, I had no idea how long either of them had been in use, how good the testing methods were, what the statistics were about side effects and possible illness and death, whether anyone had grown two heads, whatever. I just took the vaccines, trusting that my doctor knows what he is talking about.

Why all this hoopla about this one vaccine? Why all the denial (until pretty recently) about the seriousness of this disease? I have never seen the public, or at least a substantial portion of it, fighting so hard against its own interests. Though of course, the more people that step back and wait, afraid to be in the front lines of receiving the vaccine, the easier it will be for the rest of us to get access to a life-saving medication, and return to normal life.
"Though of course, the more people that step back and wait, afraid to be in the front lines of receiving the vaccine, the easier it will be for the rest of us to get access to a life-saving medication, and return to normal life."

Well there you go then, good for you, you shouldn't have a problem with those who wish to wait. 🤣

When would you expect that to be, Annie?
Probably as soon as the general population starts getting them. Since the FDA Accelerated Approval is provisional, manufacturers are still required to submit formal Stage IV data to prove real world efficacy. I would think that data collection would have to start immediately at roll out in order to monitor how long the antibodies protect, side effects in previously unstudied groups such as the elderly, whether there's antibody dependent enhancement (not! a good thing) upon subsequent exposure to the virus ...lots of unknowns.

Last edited:
"Though of course, the more people that step back and wait, afraid to be in the front lines of receiving the vaccine, the easier it will be for the rest of us to get access to a life-saving medication, and return to normal life."

Well there you go then, good for you, you shouldn't have a problem with those who wish to wait. 🤣
I have absolutely no problem with those who wish to ignore what medical science tells them, and stubbornly put themselves in harm's way. It's no skin off my nose. But I hate to see people deliberately taking stupid risks.

Sort of the way I feel when I see young people smoking.

I have absolutely no problem with those who wish to ignore what medical science tells them, and stubbornly put themselves in harm's way. It's no skin off my nose. But I hate to see people deliberately taking stupid risks.

Medical science has yet to tell me, or you, that 6 months after getting this vaccine we will definitely not developed some life threatening condition. They can't, they haven't given to enough people and it hasn't been long enough to know for sure how safe it is.

Stop trying to persuade people to you way of thinking by insinuating they are stupid.

I'm not "ignoring" what is being reported, I'm taking all information into account.

To alleviate your stress, just focus on the increased availability of that life-saving vaccine for everyone else.
And appreciate the extreme generosity of those who don't get the vaccine.

Last edited:
That has already occurred to several of us, Win. I do appreciate the extreme generosity of those who are putting themselves in harm's way in order to make the vaccine available to the rest of us.

Becky, stop trying to tell me what I may or may not say on this forum. If I think a risk is stupid, I will say it. Example: there is an item in another thread about a party that was shut down in Chicago, attended by over 300 people. I also read about a similar wedding that was secretively held in Brooklyn, with a huge crowd packed into the hall. Can you come up with a better word than "stupid?"

That has already occurred to several of us, Win. I do appreciate the extreme generosity of those who are putting themselves in harm's way in order to make the vaccine available to the rest of us.

Becky, stop trying to tell me what I may or may not say on this forum. If I think a risk is stupid, I will say it. Example: there is an item in another thread about a party that was shut down in Chicago, attended by over 300 people. I also read about a similar wedding that was secretively held in Brooklyn, with a huge crowd packed into the hall. Can you come up with a better word than "stupid?"
I'm the one who posted that article about the party. Of course that's stupid!

But don't imply I'm stupid, or others are stupid wishing to wait a while to get this vaccine, which you clearly implied.

Becky, go back and reread what I said. It was:

But I hate to see people deliberately taking stupid risks.

Saying someone is taking a stupid risk is not the same thing as calling a person "stupid." We all take stupid risks at times, or have in the past. Nobody is calling you stupid. Calm down.

I'm not sure where I heard this joke first, but I believe it was from an American comedian..

Once upon a time a man made a pact with God that if he got into trouble, God would save him.
That winter there was terrible flooding and the water soon reached the front windows of the man's house.
Then along came a small boat and the crew asked if he needed help. The man refused saying that God would save him.
It didn't take long before the water reached the top windows of the man's house.
Along came another small boat and the crew asked if he needed help. The man refused saying that God would save him.
Eventually the man found himself on the roof clinging to the chimney when a helicopter appeared and the crew asked if he needed help. The man refused saying that God would save him.

The waters rose and the man drowned. Later in heaven, he asked God why he hadn't saved him. God said "What do you mean? I sent you two boats and a helicopter".

It's up to you whether you take the vaccine or not. No one says that you have to be 'rescued', but if you do end up in hospital with Covid-19, give a cheery wave to the people in the passing lifeboats.

I believe it is safe and will take it first chance we get ...if you are waiting for a covid vaccine that never gives you any side effects, its called a "placebo"...lol.

What I find odd is that I never ever said I won't take the vaccine. I have stated repeatedly, "I won't take it until its proven safe."

So I'm sure my boat will come along as soon as those other boats have proven they have no leaks. 🤣
I completely understand what you've been saying, Becky.
Yes, I'm glad that vaccines are going to be available very soon. However, I'm equally glad to not qualify for an early vaccine because I'd probably decline it.

By the time my relatively low risk group would be eligible (65-70 with no underlying health issues and not overweight), there should be enough additional information and statistics for me to feel comfortable with my decision.

What I find odd is that I never ever said I won't take the vaccine. I have stated repeatedly, "I won't take it until its proven safe."

So I'm sure my boat will come along as soon as those other boats have proven they have no leaks. 🤣
HAHA. You are shaking people's little bit of confidence they have by not being a sheep. People gain confidence from others who make the same choice they do.

I believe it is safe and will take it first chance we get ...if you are waiting for a covid vaccine that never gives you any side effects, its called a "placebo"...lol.
I have no problem with the side effects that are currently stated.

It's the long term so far unknown side effects. The last stage of testing the vaccine is being skipped and it's being released. I understand the reason why, pandemic.

I will wait and see if there are any serious effects a few months after it's been given to others.

So, LOL not "placebo".

COVID 19 VACCINES
Lists are being made in Canada.
#1 All who are in the Health positions.......which is the most important and should be.
After those the list will continue.
I have no strong issues with the totem pole from there.
But.....
I am somewhat unhappy about a certain type of population that is being placed very high on this pole.......being......IMO.

As quite often through my years......have found myself " between a rock and a hard place "
Because being under 65......have no underlying health issues, unless depression falls in to that place......which i doubt......and pretty much in good health......other than depression, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis.
I very seldom get sick with anything.

I bailed on the flu shot.....have never had one.....i'll just continue with that for now......i thought maybe maybe the flu clinic was a good place to pick up a bug.

Maybe not being some of the ones in the beginning for the vaccine.......i can take in all the......." what's......if's......but's and, and's. "

I WISH the whole WORLD, GOOD LUCK, in what's to come.
I just got the first shot of the new shingles shot. Doc said I’d get a sore arm, I can barely lift it. She said I’d be sick for up to 4 days with symptoms that were the same as Covid. So I asked her, how will I know it’s not Covid. Her reply, if you are sicker than 4 days get tested 😮.

I get a second shingles shot in 3 months. I got the flu vaccine. But I am running hot and cold on the Covid vaccine. I hate side effects as does everyone.

The trouble is, if vaccine production is being politicized, so is anti-vaccine propaganda. This disease has become politicized to an extent that I have never heard of, with any other disease. And political propaganda is shameless. It will appropriate any subject it thinks it can use to advance its objectives.

For those who are so leery about this vaccine, I wonder: were you that cautious and fearful about the vaccines for any other disease? If you got a deep puncture wound from a rusty nail, before you got a tetanus shot in the ER, would you consult everybody you know on the subject?

Last year, my doctor recommended a new type of pneumonia vaccine that is apparently much more effective than the old ones. I got the shot immediately, as I trust his judgement.

This year, it was the new type of shingles vaccine, Shingrix. It requires two shots, a few months apart. Again, I followed his advice. No side effects from any of those shots.

So, when the time comes that the Covid vaccine is available, if my doctor recommends getting it, should I be dancing around all over the place, studying what all the news media have to say about it, making sure I have an adequate mix of conservative vs. liberal media, consulting with the politicians I am most in tune with, seeing what my friends on social media (like this one) have to say .....

or, just get the damn vaccine, as I would against any other disease that probably has me in its crosshairs?
Well, you might be fine from the new shingles shot, me, not so much.

I just got the first shot of the new shingles shot. Doc said I’d get a sore arm, I can barely lift it. She said I’d be sick for up to 4 days with symptoms that were the same as Covid. So I asked her, how will I know it’s not Covid. Her reply, if you are sicker than 4 days get tested 😮.

I get a second shingles shot in 3 months. I got the flu vaccine. But I am running hot and cold on the Covid vaccine. I hate side effects as does everyone.
Dear husbands and my arms were sore for the better part of a week after each injection.

I got sick with flu-like symptoms after my first injection, hubby remained fine, and on the second injection dear husband got sick with flu-like symptoms.

Back