Why do people laugh at everything?

Victor

Some adults seem to laugh at everything, serious or not. I never understood this. They think something is funny
when it plainly isnt. Weird. I know 2 friends like this, both very educated, over 50. I have known teachers who laugh at a
calculator, an open window, xerox machine, as if it is hilarious. Is this normal? Is it idiocy? A health professional I know laughs and grins about everything said. Then some people laugh at others misfortunes!
You find this annoying? What is the purpose?

When I'm watching TV....especially news shows...I often see the commentators "giggling" after nearly every sentence. Strange?

Isn’t humor a subjective thing? Maybe your friends choose to view things differently than you. I don’t think it’s annoying, not at all and I guess the purpose of it is that it feels good to laugh and laughter is, to most, an acceptable action to display. Humor isn’t a one size fits all experience to me but I do associate laughter with happiness and more happiness doesn’t seem so bad, or does it?

When I'm watching TV....especially news shows...I often see the commentators "giggling" after nearly every sentence. Strange?
We have one particular news presenter (women) that is so irritating. She doesn't laugh but she's constantly smiling and I think it's because her Botox injections make her look that way permanently. She also garbles her words like she's chewing on them!

It's a nervous response for some. I've also never understood laughing at another's misfortune (or unexpected bodily responses either).

As for giggling female commentators - someone told them it was cute when they were 13 but forgot to tell them that at 30, it was stupid.
I think farts are funny, always have, probably always will. I think it would be especially funny to hear a female commentator fart, live, during her broadcast. Then again, I’m a male. I’ve heard it said that most of us are easily amused. Funny but that thought made me laugh.

Why do people laugh at everything?

Why does it matter, they probably have a very happy heart or a feather in their knickers? :)

I much prefer seeing a smiling/giggling/happy face than a sullen, miserable one, and besides, these people that laugh at everything are brilliant, I could do with some of them to laugh at my silly jokes. :)

Humor is very subjective. What I find hilarious someone else might find puzzling, confusing, rude etc. and vice versa.

Sometimes too, like others have mentioned, it’s a nervous response, a release of emotion. Laughter or giggling is inappropriate to a serious situation by most standards, but it’s outside of the person’s control.

I certainly know people whose sense of humor is impossible for me to understand most of the time. My son in law is a perfect example. He’ll share things with me that he genuinely finds so hysterically funny that he has tears rolling down his face! 😂 while I’m standing there completely stymied by what he finds so amusing! 🤷‍♀️🤨 But I’ll tend to laugh anyway, but just at HIM 😂

Interestingly, my daughter adores his sense of humor even though she doesn’t share it. But she finds him endlessly entertaining, while her own sense of humor is different!

I find this a strange thing to be upset about.
The atmosphere is filled with sadness, fear, animosity; It's enjoyable for me when
I find a person who has a quiet cheerfulness about them! It's a rare thing!
Go anywhere. People are sullen, irritable. complaining.
To find anyone with a smile or a light in the eyes is an enjoyable thing!
Maybe we should all lighten up!

It is oftentimes a learned response and a coping mechanism to various stressors.
People can learn to laugh or giggle or exhibit another response not normally associated with an expected response to a certain event.
This sometimes occurs in people who aren't allowed to show normal reactions. For instance, some people laugh when experiencing pain in themselves or others because they may have been disciplined not to show fear or other negative emotions while growing up.
There's a whole field of psychology devoted to to such behaviors......interesting reading.

I find this a strange thing to be upset about.
The atmosphere is filled with sadness, fear, animosity; It's enjoyable for me when
I find a person who has a quiet cheerfulness about them! It's a rare thing!
Go anywhere. People are sullen, irritable. complaining.
To find anyone with a smile or a light in the eyes is an enjoyable thing!
Maybe we should all lighten up!
Sometimes when I lighten up, the world around me brightens up.
Disclaimer - My results may not be typical. Yours may vary depending upon the degree of lightening applied. If you experience light-heartedness for any extended amount of time, consult the authority of your choice.😌

It was a cold day at my father in law's funeral. Standing graveside we were shivering.

My husband had an uncle who was a nervous wreck and would shout out and jump every time a loud noise occurred. Being military funeral, there was going to be a gun salute.

I forgot about the uncles jumpiness when the first round was fired. The uncle shouted out and jumped. Some people gasped! I couldn't hold back my laughter.

I buried my face in my husband's chest inside his overcoat and he buried his face in my neck and we held each other close silently laughing like hell, hoping people would think we were crying.

Of course we were devastated at losing Dad, especially my husband who adored his father, but the uncle with his famous shout just did something to us that we couldn't help!

Back