Why do people laugh at everything?

The farting story reminds me of one told about a famous singer. As she walked on the stage of the cabaret at the Carlyle NYC, she released gas. She barely paused before saying that would teach her to never eat cabbage before a show.

The man next door has a new girlfriend with this constant non stop tittering......she sounds like a chipmunk in heat.

I simply cannot work in the yard or have the window open on that side of the house when she is there.

OMG if he marries her and she moves in there will be a For Sale sign on my lawn.

There is something called "smiling depression", maybe that includes laughing. Some may try to hide their sadness by laughing and smiling and I wish they would not do that. It is good to show when you are sad, so others will understand and help if they can.
Wow, that seems like taking laughter pretty seriously. I wonder if people sometimes try to hide their happiness or joy by acting as if they're sad? It doesn't sound like much fun to me but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun for others. Depression happiness? I know some people seem happier when they act miserable or see others be miserable. Maybe that's a thing too?

The man next door has a new girlfriend with this constant non stop tittering......she sounds like a chipmunk in heat.

I simply cannot work in the yard or have the window open on that side of the house when she is there.

OMG if he marries her and she moves in there will be a For Sale sign on my lawn.
@Lee You have great hearing, I'd say. I've never heard what a chipmunk in heat sounds like before but it must be awful. It'll be colder soon, maybe with closed windows, that might help.

Chris, I may toss her some peanuts, that might shut her up for awhile.

I have chipmunks in the yard, even they are quieter than her.
Haha ..I have a new neighbour like that lee......she’s only been here 5 mins and taken ove4 the place...our for sale board is up !!!

Last edited:
When I'm watching TV....especially news shows...I often see the commentators "giggling" after nearly every sentence. Strange?
Yes, annoying actually. Every TV news show has the news presenters do the [FAKE] giggling and behavior in the morning shows.
At some time I'm guessing that the producers and/or writers of such shows came to the conclusion that such buffoonery enhanced the ratings...somehow.

Well if you are in Canada you can catch The Morning Show which is supposed to be a news show but is anything but. I call them The Giggling Idiots.

They show pictures of babies, dogs, cats and each new pic draws uproarious laughter from the show hosts. I seldom find anything they show funnier than a smirk.

In an hour of programming you may get 10 minutes of news, the rest is pictures and drivel.

Well if you are in Canada you can catch The Morning Show which is supposed to be a news show but is anything but. I call them The Giggling Idiots.

They show pictures of babies, dogs, cats and each new pic draws uproarious laughter from the show hosts. I seldom find anything they show funnier than a smirk.

In an hour of programming you may get 10 minutes of news, the rest is pictures and drivel.
Today, you are my magic ray of sunshine! 🌞

quote-mama-says-that-happiness-is-from-magic-rays-of-sunshine-that-come-down-when-you-re-feeling-adam-sandler-143-47-32.jpg

Yup we have that morning show also... 2.5 hours of it every weekday morning... and the duo presenters giggle and snigger, and fall about laughing at puerile humour.....I haven't watched it in years, but reading comments continually by the tv viewing public tells me it's got even worse than when I last saw it.. to the point where they're actually bragging about presenting the show with a hangover.. and these people get paid eye watering sums of money for this....

Last edited:
I laughed hysterically during my wedding vows! :LOL:
My daughter-in-law (who I love dearly) did that too. My son was reading a poem he had written especially for the occasion and she giggled or laughed through the entire thing. My poor son was mortified even though he understood it was a kind of nervous reaction. She almost set me off too, but I managed to control it. I don't think he would have ever forgiven me if I had joined in; he sometimes accuses me of loving her more than him. Not true, but close. LOL

Morning shows here in Sydney are the same Lee, stupid idiots trying to be funny, stopped watching ages ago.

Worst day in Canadian Morning News broadcasting was when CFTO cancelled 'Canada AM' with Bev Thompson, Marci Ian & Jeff Hutcheson. Now THAT was a classy, down to earth morning news show. Warm, welcoming hosts who truly had a bond with each other yet still delivered a solid news show each day.
The replacement 'Morning Show' is pretentious and focused on entertainment themes last I saw it. Stopped watching years ago.

Due to the canned laughter, the inane laughter i have had to watch 'The Andy Griffith Show.'
There is a mild laugh track. at times, but not usually.

Are we to anticipate giggles and laughter on Detective Shows, 'Hey, they cut off his head-giggle.'
When they start cackling on the national news it is time to burn the TV.:(

I agree humor is subjective. Laughing can be a release such as people laughing instead of crying at a funeral. And occasional gallows humor has it's place.

I work with a woman who laughs after just about everything she says. I can ignore it. It's just her. However sometimes at work I hear very loud (from way down the hall) repeated bellowing laughter. No way is something that funny. Plus it's a workplace and I find it inappropriate. I'm very busy and stressed at work so this adds to it. I wonder how they have the time. I can barely get in a lunch break. The only break I take other than the toilet.

Saying it is a nervous reaction does not explain it. Why? Not sure there is an answer. I think it is mild mental instability. Nothing pathological. For some people it is a cover for sadness or lack of joy. It looks goofy to me

Saying it is a nervous reaction does not explain it. Why? Not sure there is an answer. I think it is mild mental instability. Nothing pathological. For some people it is a cover for sadness or lack of joy. It looks goofy to me

Y'know, a while back, I did a sick little poster along those lines;

i4kpxvf.jpg

People laugh at other's misfortune, what is so funny about someone's injury? My wife cracked up when I caught the back of my love truncheon in the zipper of my trouser flies. It wasn't funny, it was damn painful.

No jokes about kissing it better, thank you. Don't encourage her.

Wow, that seems like taking laughter pretty seriously. I wonder if people sometimes try to hide their happiness or joy by acting as if they're sad? It doesn't sound like much fun to me but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun for others. Depression happiness? I know some people seem happier when they act miserable or see others be miserable. Maybe that's a thing too?
Actually, smiling depression is quite common. This world is not always kind to people who are experiencing such distress.

Actually, smiling depression is quite common. This world is not always kind to people who are experiencing such distress.
The world isn't always as kind to anyone as it could be, distressed or not.
Then again, we are the world and the world feels stressful, much of the time, to me.
I'm no expert on the world or life but I know what makes me smile or even laugh.

With A lot of people ,it’s nerves......I must admit , I do laugh and smile a lot .....
God knows why, I don’t have much to smile about, but hubby ,does make me laugh ,bless him

Back