Why do some people not capitalize I when writing?

It's not so profound, just some people typing on their phone, and all the mistake-prone actions that entails.
But............what if...............everything else that needed a capital received one?

But............what if...............everything else that needed a capital received one?
I dunno, that would be weird.
shrug.gif

Could be that it's an ego thing, they feel insignificant and wish to stand out. Personally I don't care Y they do IT.
I think that's too obvious, hope so at least; I think it's something poetic. You don't have to care, dear Lee, I'm here to do that! 😬

I'm particularly interested in 'i' for 'I' as I think the answer is a compelling insight into the mind of the writer of it.
Somewhere in my teens i started only capitalising the pronoun "i" when i began a sentence with it because a capitalization rule says first letter of first word of new sentence we capitalize. We do not capitalize other pronouns (he, she, they) and it made no sense to me capitalize the one referring to myself.

On writing turned in for a grade i would do it. (My Dad taught me early how to play their game.) I'd proofread with that habit in mind so i could correct.

I would like to see capitalizing and periods (at least to come back). It is so hard to read posts in groups on fb where they run paragraphs together. No periods. No capital letters. Ugh...
I generally do follow most grammar and punctuation rules no matter where or what i'm writing. If in a hurry or agitated i make more typos and especially with subject matter i feel strongly about i usually proofread before hitting 'post'. If i find one i missed later i correct when possible.

But i am pickier about my own errors than other people's. As long as i feel no confusion about their meaning i will only point out someone else's mistakes/typos if they've asked me to proofread something or if they been trying to make others agree with their opinion on the basis of how 'educated' they are. Then they need to be taken down a peg.

I am a stickler on grammar, and proper sentences, always can spot a typo in a second. I asked my grandson why he doesn't capitalize when he texts me. He laughed and said it takes up time, it is faster to simply type the words out. No one cares these days.
Huh, I thought to myself. No one but me.🤐

I generally do follow most grammar and punctuation rules no matter where or what i'm writing. If in a hurry or agitated i make more typos and especially with subject matter i feel strongly about i usually proofread before hitting 'post'. If i find one i missed later i correct when possible.

But i am pickier about my own errors than other people's. As long as i feel no confusion about their meaning i will only point out someone else's mistakes/typos if they've asked me to proofread something or if they been trying to make others agree with their opinion on the basis of how 'educated' they are. Then they need to be taken down a peg.
Rarely do I point out other's mistakes. It's not polite, and it wouldn't be welcomed in most instances. It only jumps off the page to my own eyes.

As I said @feywon, I know I had a reason, important to me, why i stopped. Knowing me back then I'm sure it was elaborate & dramatic! Just expressing myself! However, can't remember what the whole thing was about.

are just too lazy. Putting a capital letter where it should be is for them extremely hard physical labour.

Actually, I blame the smartphone addicts for this. 12 hours of starring at the phone all day does make them tired. The "poor" babies!

At first, with texting and chats, I was very concerned with grammar and spelling. Life and time happened and it's not as important to me in these places.

I do try to watch it on SF. I am even more watchful with emails.

However, I notice poor habits in adverts and printed materials. I'm lucky my red pencil doesn't show to the culprits!!

My family has a long line of printers, editors and proofreaders. My children love to compare notes on grammar failures.

But I don't feel grammar is as important as just communicating. I don't use my red pencil on my phone. Lol

I remember doing that. I had a point. I don't remember what the point was. Could the few of you who use 'i' instead of 'I' please explain why? Does your keyboard not capitalize? Been curious about this for awhile now. Thanks.
I have been typing the majority of my posts in lower case because I don't have caps lock on my Chromebook & I get tired of holding the shift key all the time. Plus after being on and off a computer at work all day I am tired and simply don't care. There's no big significant mystery behind it. I just don't feel like it.

Back