Woman Assaulted in N.J. Staples Over Mask Issue

I didn't hear the "verbal request" and neither did you. It could have been a threat followed by a poke with her cane, which is an assault.
Did you watch the video in post #1? If yes then can you explain why the younger woman was waving her finger & her mouth was moving as she approached the older woman from behind. The older woman didn't turn around until she was touched on her right shoulder. The younger woman initiated physical contact. What was said while the younger was behind the older woman can only involve speculation. But the video clearly shows the older woman backing away then raising her cane what to me looks like self defense.

Please post the video you saw that shows the older woman initiating 1st. physical contact.

Did you watch the video in post #1? If yes then can you explain why the younger woman was waving her finger & her mouth was moving as she approached the older woman from behind. The older woman didn't turn around until she was touched on her right shoulder. The younger woman initiated physical contact. What was said while the younger was behind the older woman can only involve speculation. But the video clearly shows the older woman backing away then raising her cane what to me looks like self defense.

Please post the video you saw that shows the older woman initiating 1st. physical contact.
None so blind as someone who doesn't want to see.
The older woman first said something to the younger woman. That's when the younger woman walked up to her shaking her finger.
And (FYI) you can't claim self defense when you raise a cane (or anything that can be used as a weapon) in a threatening manner) during a verbal dispute. The only valid self-defense claim in this incident can be made by the younger woman.
Your personal opinion of wearing a mask is completely irrelevant.

None so blind as someone who doesn't want to see.
The older woman first said something to the younger woman. That's when the younger woman walked up to her shaking her finger.
And (FYI) you can't claim self defense when you raise a cane (or anything that can be used as a weapon) in a threatening manner) during a verbal dispute. The only valid self-defense claim in this incident can be made by the younger woman.
Your personal opinion of wearing a mask is completely irrelevant.
With her back turned to the younger woman that went out of frame how exactly did the older woman say something? Who made the 1st. physical contact? You see the use of the cane as threatening I see it as self defense since the older woman backed up to avoid physical contact.

There is no audio so because the older woman backed up & raised her cane. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the younger woman didn't calmly say. " I apologize for not wearing my mask properly" That is what a civil person would do.

Are you serious that asking a person to properly wear a mask is wrong? That words are cause for being attacked & injured?

I hope a personal injury lawyer gets involved to help the older woman get the damages she should be paid for.

The utterly shocking part to me, was how no one came to the elderly woman's aid (including helping her up).
I noticed that and mentioned it in my 1st. post
"But that is where society seems to be headed. I mention that because the other patrons don't rush to aid the older woman they hang back not wanting to get involved I guess. "

I got to thinking about that. Moving a badly injured person given the age and violent attack maybe helping her up could have done more harm than good. Fractured skull if her head hit the stand that she was thrown into, broken hip or back.

With her back turned to the younger woman that went out of frame how exactly did the older woman say something? Who made the 1st. physical contact? You see the use of the cane as threatening I see it as self defense since the older woman backed up to avoid physical contact.

There is no audio so because the older woman backed up & raised her cane. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the younger woman didn't calmly say. " I apologize for not wearing my mask properly" That is what a civil person would do.

Are you serious that asking a person to properly wear a mask is wrong? That words are cause for being attacked & injured?

I hope a personal injury lawyer gets involved to help the older woman get the damages she should be paid for.
Intelligent people know better than to antagonize anyone during these stressful times because they know it can lead to violence.
Being the mask police is not being intelligent.
If you're concerned that someone who's not wearing their mask properly may give you a virus, it's stupid to say anything to them that might cause them to get near you to argue with you.
If you think everyone you tell to wear their mask properly will say "Thank you for letting me know," you're not living in the real world.

Back