Woman Assaulted in N.J. Staples Over Mask Issue

This situation involved TWO idiots; not just one. If you watch carefully, the younger woman's mask was below her nose. The older woman not only confronts her but also raises her cane at her. Really stupid - both to confront someone over a mask, then threaten her with her cane (especially considering her health issues) She has a fractured leg & the younger woman probably won't be charged:
Yes, I wear a mask when shopping because it's required, but I would never confront anyone who's not wearing one or not wearing one properly; it's just plain stupid.

Per the reporters. It started with a verbal request by the older woman that the younger woman use the mask properly.

1.Clearly the younger woman comes over and places her right hand on the woman's shoulder. That begins the rest of the confrontation.

2.Using full screen & the freeze or stop function it's clear the older woman raises her cane for self protection. With the frame stopped. It looks like the cane barely brushes the younger woman's right hand as the cane is raised. The rest is the violent attack by the younger woman.

It's pretty sad blaming the older woman for speaking out about what could affect the health of others. Kind of like blaming a rape victim for being raped.

But that is where society seems to be headed. I mention that because the other patrons don't rush to aid the older woman they hang back not wanting to get involved I guess.

Because I don’t believe two wrongs make a right. You seriously think the younger woman was in the right to go ape sh*t because some crazy old woman pointed her cane at her?
They BOTH over reacted.

So I didn’t jump anywhere. Unless my life is in SERIOUS danger, I don’t ever resort to violence. With others, it’s their FIRST line of defence. If someone pisses them off, they are instantly reaching for their gun. Someone gets shot and then everyone wonders what went wrong.

Seriously? Get real! Was that old crazy lady really that much of a threat that she needed violently taken down? And this is coming from ‘men?’ Really?🙄
Holy cow, did you misread that. I meant why did you go the "racist comment" remark? Just because it was a black and white woman you guessed that maybe a racist comment was said.

Per the reporters. It started with a verbal request by the older woman that the younger woman use the mask properly.

1.Clearly the younger woman comes over and places her right hand on the woman's shoulder. That begins the rest of the confrontation.

2.Using full screen & the freeze or stop function it's clear the older woman raises her cane for self protection. With the frame stopped. It looks like the cane barely brushes the younger woman's right hand as the cane is raised. The rest is the violent attack by the younger woman.

It's pretty sad blaming the older woman for speaking out about what could affect the health of others. Kind of like blaming a rape victim for being raped.

But that is where society seems to be headed. I mention that because the other patrons don't rush to aid the older woman they hang back not wanting to get involved I guess.
That's how I see it, too

Not a chance. Once you threaten someone with a weapon, the game is over.
Pay attention to the video you posted. The younger woman put her hands on the older woman 1st.

When did defending yourself with what you have become unreasonable.?

Then there is the small issue of if asking the younger woman to use the mask as intended is provoking then we are doomed as a society. I take it from your responses you think the older woman should give up her right to go out into public. Or speaking out about what clear is wrong. Used to be going out was normal & a reply by the younger woman in a situation that called for an apology on her part turned into an attack that left the older woman injured.

I really hope our society doesn't get to the level you describe it to be. People afraid to speak out about something that is clearly wrong

I'll bet you the old lady doesn't get charged with anything and the young one will be if she is found
That's a bet you'd lose. And, even if she is charged, she won't be convicted.
Either way, she is better off than the older fool who will spend months recovering from an injury that wouldn't have happened if she minded her own business.

Pay attention to the video you posted. The younger woman put her hands on the older woman 1st.

When did defending yourself with what you have become unreasonable.?

Then there is the small issue of if asking the younger woman to use the mask as intended is provoking then we are doomed as a society. I take it from your responses you think the older woman should give up her right to go out into public. Or speaking out about what clear is wrong. Used to be going out was normal & a reply by the younger woman in a situation that called for an apology on her part turned into an attack that left the older woman injured.

I really hope our society doesn't get to the level you describe it to be. People afraid to speak out about something that is clearly wrong
Well articulated. The young women did approach the older women first.
Now according to doctors and the police report , that 54 year old victim had to have surgery for injuries from her brutal attack.

Well articulated. The young women did approach the older women first.
Now according to doctors and the police report , that 54 year old victim had to have surgery for injuries from her brutal attack.
We would know more if there was sound on the video & we could know what the older woman said to the younger woman. So far, we do know the assault began with the older woman using the cane to poke to threaten the younger woman, which was stupid.

We would know more if there was sound on the video & we could know what the older woman said to the younger woman. So far, we do know the assault began with the older woman using the cane to poke to threaten the younger woman, which was stupid.
No win we can’t hear what happened but anyone can clearly see that the young woman completely disregarded pandemic regulations by walking up to the older woman and placing her hand on her shoulder to get her attention. ( that’s right at the 59 seconds to 1 minute mark )
That’s NOT social distancing so the older woman counter acted to protect herself from this woman by raising her cane. The young woman then went totally nuts on her so ‘I’ will choose to disagree with you.
Very barbaric and unclassy for the young woman to lose it like that, but especially on an elderly lady.

Last edited:
@Keesha

We? Everyone?

Please speak for yourself. I agree with win231 and I'm not the only one.

But you've made your point.
Did you see me include your name?
No! Because I wasn’t referring to you. I was referring to the others who saw the young woman approach the older one first and there are many but I don’t mind even standing alone on this one.

And I originally said ‘everyone can see in the film that the young woman physically confronted the older woman first by walking up to her and touching her to get her attention. If people choose to ignore that part, then they have their own reasons.

Last edited:
That was totally uncalled for. Even though the older woman did poke the younger woman with her cane which is assault she should not have thrown her to the floor, she shouldn't have touched her at all but report it to the store employees and/or the police who would make a determination based on the facts and make a decision and she would possibly have a case but now the damage is done and she has no legal defense as I see it, I'm not an attorney so that's just my opinion. I just posted some information concerning crimes against senior citizens not just 5 minutes ago in the Financial Subforum. Some individuals are not taking COVID-19 seriously and I see the instances where people are not social distancing, not wearing mask and blatantly ignoring instructional signage. But in this day and age where people are shot dead just for staring at someone. It's in everyones best interest to just avoid these types of situations by avoiding these people at all cost.

Last edited:
What video are you watching? The young women is saying something and pointing her finger when she walks into the older lady's cubicle/personal space. The old woman is clearly startled. The old lady doesn't hit her with the cane she raises it to maintain her distance. She then gets attacked.

Back