Woman Assaulted in N.J. Staples Over Mask Issue

@garyt1957
54 is an old lady?
Older not old. When comparing the two women what word would you use to describe the difference in age?

Win pointed out that there is no sound to the video. Given the violence demonstrated by the younger woman I think it's reasonable to conclude the younger woman used aggressive language as she came from behind & put her hand on the older woman.

The younger woman was clearly wrong by not wearing her mask properly. Would this even be a discussion if the younger woman had responded by saying "Your right" & put her mask in place. BUT NO she was the aggressor by touching and and then becoming extremely violent.

Think about it this way. The older woman was using another copier, not likely to be affected by touching the machine the younger woman was using. Would you or win feel confident using the machine the younger woman was using with her mask not in place? Sometimes being older & conscious of what is right then speaks up to the benefit of others gets the negative responses blaming the older woman posted here.

As I posted before it is amazing to me how people can view the same video & come up with different views of what took place. I'll suggest again take the time to view the video full screen the freeze the frames where the initial contact happened then followed the action's taken.

@garyt1957
54 is an old lady?
Compared to the woman who attacked her. She looked pretty darn frail to me. She was recovering from a liver transplant. She definitely wasn't a threat to anyone.
Completely agree. No 54 isn’t old. I’m 60 and there’s no way that woman could sling me down like that. This woman is very frail for some reason and she most certainly was startled when approached from behind.
The woman who didn’t want to wear her mask properly didn’t like being confronted about it and had a violent hissy fit.

Compared to the woman who attacked her. She looked pretty darn frail to me. She was recovering from a liver transplant. She definitely wasn't a threat to anyone.
Yes, she looked frail. Which makes her really stupid to start trouble.

I agree. Age & her health [liver transplant] makes her much more vulnerable. Odd that one post thought she shouldn't be out in public because of her liver transplant. At what point does blame be placed where it belongs ?

What video are you watching? The young women is saying something and pointing her finger when she walks into the older lady's cubicle/personal space. The old woman is clearly startled. The old lady doesn't hit her with the cane she raises it to maintain her distance. She then gets attacked.
That's you're editorializing. The young woman said something and pointed her finger after the older woman said something to her.
If you don't want someone who's not wearing their mask properly near you, why would you start an argument with them that brings them closer to you?
We've all seen the same type of fools on the road who decide that someone is driving in an unsafe manner, so instead of letting them get far away, they confront them & start a road rage incident.

Yes, she looked frail. Which makes her really stupid to start trouble.
Wrong the trouble started when wearing a mask became mandatory. Some follow in order to comply & others don't. I'm pretty sure you've read the articles about the increase in people becoming ill from people not wearing their mask. So from what you post it seems to me you don't think mask use is needed.

That's you're editorializing. The young woman said something and pointed her finger after the older woman said something to her.
If you don't want someone who's not wearing their mask properly near you, why would you start an argument with them that brings them closer to you?
We've all seen the same type of fools on the road who decide that someone is driving in an unsafe manner, so instead of letting them get far away, they confront them & start a road rage incident.
Again watch the video you posted. The older woman had her back to the younger one. The younger one approached from behind and began the confrontation.

Completely agree. No 54 isn’t old. I’m 60 and there’s no way that woman could sling me down like that. This woman is very frail for some reason and she most certainly was startled when approached from behind.
The woman who didn’t want to wear her mask properly didn’t like being confronted about it and had a violent hissy fit.
Yes, some people are violent. Which makes anyone who confronts them really stupid.
And, you are mistaken & overconfident. I'm 67, strong & in decent shape. But I'm still 67; not 27. A young guy could easily sling me down.

Win your hypothetical of road rage is useful.
1.Pointing out that the person that was in the right becomes the victim of someone elses wrongful action.

2. Failed to compare the extended negative impact of that wrongful action.
In road rage there are typically two involved. In failure to use the mask properly the potential to contaminate many others that were no where near the point of mask misuse.

Again watch the video you posted. The older woman had her back to the younger one. The younger one approached from behind and began the confrontation.
Yes, "editor." :)The older woman started the confrontation by saying something to the younger woman. You are focusing on the response from the younger woman to try to justify your opinion.

Yes, some people are violent. Which makes anyone who confronts them really stupid.
And, you are mistaken & overconfident. I'm 67, strong & in decent shape. But I'm still 67; not 27. A young guy could easily sling me down.
What do you use to determine if someone will be violent? How would the older woman know that she would be attacked if she pointed out the misuse of the required use of a face mask.
I started questioning your posts. You are 67 I'm 79 should I fear you if we were to meet?

Asking someone who is standing next to you to wear their mask properly isn’t a violent act. You’re vilifying the victim.
Confronting a stranger is foolish. Starting an argument with a stranger is foolish. Intelligent people think ahead & know what the possible result can be.
But hey....feel free to do the same as she did & be the mask police. I hope you recover faster.

Last edited:
What do you use to determine if someone will be violent? How would the older woman know that she would be attacked if she pointed out the misuse of the required use of a face mask.
I started questioning your posts. You are 67 I'm 79 should I fear you if we were to meet?
Depends. Will you be wearing your mask properly? :ROFLMAO:

Win your hypothetical of road rage is useful.
1.Pointing out that the person that was in the right becomes the victim of someone elses wrongful action.

2. Failed to compare the extended negative impact of that wrongful action.
In road rage there are typically two involved. In failure to use the mask properly the potential to contaminate many others that were no where near the point of mask misuse.
Thank you. Everything I say is useful :ROFLMAO:

Now you’re trying to justify vilifying the victom. The older woman didn’t deserve being violently attacked and no matter how you try and spin this isn’t going to change my mind.
Not necessary to change your mind. Perhaps others who like to play mask police will read this & decide for themselves if confronting someone is worth a hospital stay.

I asked this

Try to focus on what was asked

Your snarky reply tells me you don't have a reply that addresses the questions.

I can't predict who will be violent & who won't. No one can. That's why intelligent people don't play mask police.
Starting an argument with someone draws them closer to you - much closer than the 6-feet recommendation. And yelling at each other increases the spit, spray & breath exposure. That's what I call "Three ways to stupid."

I asked this

Try to focus on what was asked

Your snarky reply tells me you don't have a reply that addresses the questions.
See post #70. (And I love the word "snarky.) :)

I wanted to check on what New Jersey's rules were for wearing a mask while shopping before I replied. As their rules pertain to this situation, the lady wearing the mask should have been wearing it properly, (We are all aware of that.) The lady with the cane "should have" alerted a clerk and had them approach the lady not wearing her mask appropriately and not taken on that duty. Had the store requested her to wear her mask correctly and she refused, according to NJ mask rules (in this situation), she should have been shown the door.

The way that I am reading New Jersey's rules for wearing a mask is that this is not a law, but a protocol that must be adhered to. Anyone over 2 years of age must wear a mask, unless there is a health reason why not to. If the person wearing the mask states that they cannot due to a health concern, the employee cannot ask why or ask for a doctor's note stating such and cannot be asked to leave. Everyone else must wear a mask. The mask must cover the mouth and nose.

The video is good, but I would have liked to have had audio to go with it. The lady that threw the other lady to the ground made a serious mistake by leaving the scene. I can only speak for Pennsylvania laws, but we have a code of enforcement when someone causes another person's injury and leaves the scene, whether it was in self defense or not. We can all learn from this. Never leave the scene.

It would be my guess that just by watching the video, the lady that threw the other lady to the ground will be charged, but I won't guess with what. Several charges come to mind, but I'll leave that up to the police. If the lady charged has any previous convictions, this won;t help her and if she is on probation or parole, this will also not help her. Shaking a cane at someone is like me shaking my fist at someone. It may, or may not be considered a threat. Sorry to be so vague, but I just need to know more facts. If this case goes to trail, your guess is as good as mine how she will be found. Juries are sympathetic to older, more frail people, so who knows what the outcome may be.

I would imagine that someone has recognized her, but it's hard for people to get involved, so I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for an arrest. The lady with the cane and already having health issues did a very dumb thing. I hope that she heals quickly and has learned an important lesson.

I can't predict who will be violent & who won't. No one can. That's why intelligent people don't play mask police.
Starting an argument with someone draws them closer to you - much closer than the 6-feet recommendation. And yelling at each other increases the spit, spray & breath exposure. That's what I call "Three ways to stupid."
How do you know an argument was started? There is no sound with the video. The older woman was making copies with her back towards the interior of the store and the woman that attacked her. How do you come to the conclusion they were arguing prior to the attack?

I don't understand your thought that we should all live in fear. I could just as easily project the older woman prior to selecting a copier in passing the younger woman said something like. "Your mask isn't in place properly." I have no way of knowing so unlike you I'm not going to present something that isn't known.

How do you know an argument was started? There is no sound with the video. The older woman was making copies with her back towards the interior of the store and the woman that attacked her. How do you come to the conclusion they were arguing prior to the attack?

I don't understand your thought that we should all live in fear. I could just as easily project the older woman prior to selecting a copier in passing the younger woman said something like. "Your mask isn't in place properly." I have no way of knowing so unlike you I'm not going to present something that isn't known.
Earth is not your planet of residence.

If the older woman said nothing, the younger woman would not have gone near her. Since you consider common sense "living in fear," feel free to confront people who aren't wearing their mask properly. Perhaps you'll get enough get-well cards & flowers to make it worth it.

Back