2021-2 NFL Pro Football (pls, no other sports!)

The Bills blew it. I was listening to a radio broadcast while watching a live video diagram of the game because I don't get FS1. I'll watch the highlights after a while on YouTube.

It seems to me, the Bills are relying too much of Josh Allen to run the ball. He's a great athlete, but that's dangerous to do so often. This isn't college football. Try a little roll out with a screen pass or something. Jeesh!

Bills fans wanted a slinging, running qb. Josh fit the bill.

The NFL is a quarter back driven league.
Their were some great qb in the 80's which made this so.
The fans demanded high scoring game.

Yes, were concerned about the defense, but we must absolutely have a 'top gun' at qb.

Dallas Cowboys are good example-Defense. 'were working on it, but we have a great qb,.'
Their going to run into a team with a good defense (not great) and a good offense (not great) and get their butts beat.
New England Pats, a good 500 team played the cowboys in a nip and tuck game because they have a balance Defense and Offense.

Last edited:
QB power rankings: Time to give credit where credit is due at #1
With Cowboys at 5-1, Dak Prescott tops the list . . . will 49ers start Jimmy G or Trey Lance Sunday night?
Bay Area News Group: October 19, 2021 by Jerry MacDonald
Pt 1 of 2

Another new No. 1 this week in the NFL QB power rankings . . . let’s get to it:

1. Dak Prescott, Dallas (bye) Last week: 8
Pretty much an unstoppable force in 35-29 win over Patriots, completing 36 of 51 passes for 445 yards, three touchdowns, one interception. This game had all the earmarks of an upset loss and Prescott pulled it out with help from CeeDee Lamb (9 receptions, 149 yards, 2 TDs). Been underrating him all season. Not this time. Calf injury could affect this week’s status.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay (Washington) Last week: 3
A 24-14 win over the Bears was one of those games where it seemed as if Rodgers was carrying his opponent until taking over when appropriate. Was 17 of 23 for 195 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

3. Tom Brady, Tampa Bay (vs. Chicago) Last week: 1
An un-Brady-like performance in 28-22 win over Eagles in that the Buccaneers had a 28-7 lead and he didn’t put the game away earlier. Was 34 of 42 for 297 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Not a lot of downfield passing in this one.

4. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore (Cincinnati) Last week: 2
Passed for 167 yards (19 of 27) and a touchdown and two picks. Rushed for 51 yards on eight carries as part of a 187-yard rushing attack in 34-6 win over Chargers as Ravens won fifth straight after season-opening loss to the Raiders.

5. Kyler Murray, Arizona (vs. Arizona) Last week: 6
Stays on top of the NFL world with a 6-0 record after completing 20 of 30 passes for 229 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in 37-14 win over Cleveland. Murray is obviously good, and it’s starting to look like his supporting cast is worthy of NFC title contention.

6. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City (at Tennessee) Last week: 7
Led Chiefs to a 21-0 second half in a 31-13 win. But what’s with the turnovers? He’s Mahomes has eight interceptions. No KC quarterback in the last 20 seasons has that many in six games except Matt Cassel in 2012.

7. Matt Stafford, LA Rams (vs. Detroit) Last week: 9
Was 22 of 28 for 251 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in blowout win over the New York Giants. Rams ran the ball 34 times for 131 yards. Exactly what you want with Stafford at quarterback and something he never had in Detroit.

8. Derek Carr, Las Vegas (vs. Philadelphia) Last week: 14
Remember when Carr was disparaged as a dink and dunk guy? Was 18 of 27 for 341 yards and two touchdowns in 34-24 win over Denver. Averaged 18.9 yards per completion. Had 51-yard strike to Bryan Edwards, 48 yards to Henry Ruggs III (touchdown) and 31-yard pass to Kenyan Drake (touchdown). A big-time rebound.

9. Justin Herbert, LA Chargers (bye) Last week: 4
Just as Herbert looked poised to make a run at No. 1 comes this — 22 of 39 for 195 yards, one TD and two picks in a 28-point loss to Baltimore. Went from unstoppable to average in one week.

10. Josh Allen, Buffalo (bye) Last week: 5
In a 34-31 loss to Buffalo, Allen’s lone interception came when he was hit while throwing. Finished 35 of 47 for 353 yards, three touchdowns and the one pick. No reason to believe the Bills (4-2) aren’t legit contenders for NFC East title as well as playoff advancement.

11. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota (bye) Last week: 17
Completed 33 of 48 passes for 373 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions in Minnesota’s 34-28 overtime win over Carolina. Involved both wideouts, as Adam Thielen had 11 catches for 126 yards and Justin Jefferson eight catches for 80 yards.

12. Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee (vs. Kansas City) Last week: 15
An NFL rarity in that he takes a back seat to a running back (Derrick Henry) as the lead on offense. But Tannehill was 18 of 29 for 216 yards and made crucial throws in crunch time for Henry to take over on the ground to beat the Bills and get the Titans to 4-2

13. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati (at Baltimore) Last week: 13
With the help of a running game that had 36 carries for 142 yards, Burrow completed 19 of 29 passes for 271 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Any more questions about why Bengals took J’Marr Chase (four catches, 97 yards) instead of an offensive lineman?

14. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh (bye) Last week: 11
Managed to pull out a 23-20 win over Seattle, but gained just 229 yards on 40 pass attempts (29 completions). With no rushing play from a running back over 11 yards, Steelers managed 30 attempts but just 119 yards. Roethlisberger needs better at this point of his career.

15. Carson Wentz, Indianapolis (at 49ers) Last week: 18
Another good win or Wentz, although against suspect opposition (a 31-3 win over Houston). Went was 11 of 20 for 223 yards and two touchdowns and no interceptions. Is he all the way back? 49ers will help provide that answer.

QB power rankings: Pt 2 of 2

16. Jameis Winston, New Orleans (at Seattle) Last week: 12
A week off as Saints coach Sean Payton remakes his team in the post-Drew Brees era. As far as Winston is concerned, so far so good. Not convinced he’s the long-term answer, however.

17. Matt Ryan, Atlanta (at Miami) Last week: 16
A week off to determine whether he’ll ride it out with the Falcons until the end of his career or start to look for an ejector seat to take one last shot at the Super Bowl.

18. Baker Mayfield, Cleveland (vs. Denver) Last week: 10
Passing has been impaired by a torn labrum in left shoulder. The Browns at their best have run the ball well behind a line coached by Bill Callahan. Mayfield can play well with balance, but when there is none, you get what happened against Arizona (18 of 29, 234 yards, 2 TDs, one interception in a 37-14 loss).

19. Sam Darnold, Carolina (at NY Giants) Last week: 19
Recovered from an awful start to direct touchdown drives of 55 and 96 yards to help force overtime in a 34-28 loss to Minnesota. But clearly not the same quarterback since Christian McCaffrey was injured.

20. Mac Jones, New England (vs. NY Jets) Last week: 21
Patriots continue to bring Jones along smartly (27 rushes, 21 passes vs. Cowboys) and Jones played well in an overtime loss. Was 15 of 21 for 229 yards, two touchdowns and an interception as New England fell to 2-4.

21. Teddy Bridgewater, Denver (at Cleveland) Last week: 20
Are we at the point where we can consider that Bridgewater’s hot start had a lot to do with his first three opponents (Giants, Jaguars, Jets)? He can manage an offense. He can’t carry one.

22. Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia (at Las Vegas) Last week: 22
Had touchdown runs of 6 and 2 yards to bring the Eagles within 28-22 with just over minutes let against New England. But couldn’t do enough damage as a passer to pull it off (12 of 26, 116 yards, one touchdown, one interception).

23. Jared Goff, Detroit (at LA Rams) Last week: 23
It keeps getting worse for Goff in terms of supporting cast. When you lose a one-sided game against Cincinnati, throw 42 passes, gain 202 yards and can’t run the ball, it means your team will be looking for a franchise quarterback soon. And that Goff may have better days in future years.

24. Daniel Jones, NY Giants (vs. Carolina) Last week: 24
Few things worse than playing quarterback for a vastly inferior team and falling behind early. Jones was 29 of 51 for 242 yards, no touchdowns and three interceptions in 38-11 loss to Rams. Jones may one day be a decent quarterback, but we’ll never find out as long as he’s with the Giants.

25. Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville (bye) Last week: 30
The NFL’s No. 1 draft pick had to leave the country to bag his first win of the season. Completed 25 of 41 passes for 319 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in 23-20 overtime win over Miami in London.

26. Tua Tagovaiola, Miami (Atlanta) Last week: 32 (Brissett)
Ribs sufficiently healed, Tagovaiola returned to action and completed 33 of 47passes for 329 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in a 23-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville. Lots of short stuff. Longest completion was 32 yards to Mike Gesicki.

27. Justin Fields, Chicago (at Tampa Bay) Last week: 25
May not be ready to assume starter’s role, but was 16 of 27 for 174 yards with one TD and one pick in loss to Green Bay plus 43 yards on six scramble. Hard to justify going back to Andy Dalton at this point.

28. Trey Lance, 49ers (vs. Indianapolis) Last week: 26
Jimmy Garoppolo opened this week on the practice field while Lance (knee) sat out the first day. Coach Kyle Shanahan has been consistent in thinking Garoppolo is the best course of action. If Lance is healthy, it would behoove Shanahan to get him on the field even more often even if he’s not starting.

29. Geno Smith, Seattle (vs. New Orleans) Last week: 31
Smith was 23 of 32 for 209 yards, a touchdown and no interception in 23-20 overtime loss to Pittsburgh. At this point, he appears destined for enough games he can be a backup for years but he’s simply not Russell Wilson. No insult. Few are.

30. Zach Wilson, NY Jets (at New England) Last week: 27
Must have spent his bye week in an ice tub after getting a baptism under fire with an inferior team. Pre-bye play of late has been encouraging.

31. Taylor Heineke, Washington (at Green Bay) Last week: 28
Completed 29 of 34 passes for 182 yards, one touchdown and one interception against Kansas City. Would Washington be any better if Ryan Fitzpatrick is healthy? Maybe not, but neither is the long-term answer to Washington’s woes at quarterback.

32. Davis Mills, Houston (at Arizona) Last week: 29
Managed a single field goal drive in nine possessions against Indianapolis in one-sided loss. Was 29 for 43 for 243 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. Didn’t have a completion of more than 20 yards.

QB power rankings: Time to give credit where credit is due at #1
With Cowboys at 5-1, Dak Prescott tops the list . . . will 49ers start Jimmy G or Trey Lance Sunday night?
Pt 1 of 2

Another new No. 1 this week in the NFL QB power rankings . . . let’s get to it:

1. Dak Prescott, Dallas (bye) Last week: 8
Pretty much an unstoppable force in 35-29 win over Patriots, completing 36 of 51 passes for 445 yards, three touchdowns, one interception. This game had all the earmarks of an upset loss and Prescott pulled it out with help from CeeDee Lamb (9 receptions, 149 yards, 2 TDs). Been underrating him all season. Not this time. Calf injury could affect this week’s status.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay (Washington) Last week: 3
A 24-14 win over the Bears was one of those games where it seemed as if Rodgers was carrying his opponent until taking over when appropriate. Was 17 of 23 for 195 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

3. Tom Brady, Tampa Bay (vs. Chicago) Last week: 1
An un-Brady-like performance in 28-22 win over Eagles in that the Buccaneers had a 28-7 lead and he didn’t put the game away earlier. Was 34 of 42 for 297 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Not a lot of downfield passing in this one.

4. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore (Cincinnati) Last week: 2
Passed for 167 yards (19 of 27) and a touchdown and two picks. Rushed for 51 yards on eight carries as part of a 187-yard rushing attack in 34-6 win over Chargers as Ravens won fifth straight after season-opening loss to the Raiders.

5. Kyler Murray, Arizona (vs. Arizona) Last week: 6
Stays on top of the NFL world with a 6-0 record after completing 20 of 30 passes for 229 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in 37-14 win over Cleveland. Murray is obviously good, and it’s starting to look like his supporting cast is worthy of NFC title contention.

6. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City (at Tennessee) Last week: 7
Led Chiefs to a 21-0 second half in a 31-13 win. But what’s with the turnovers? He’s Mahomes has eight interceptions. No KC quarterback in the last 20 seasons has that many in six games except Matt Cassel in 2012.

7. Matt Stafford, LA Rams (vs. Detroit) Last week: 9
Was 22 of 28 for 251 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in blowout win over the New York Giants. Rams ran the ball 34 times for 131 yards. Exactly what you want with Stafford at quarterback and something he never had in Detroit.

8. Derek Carr, Las Vegas (vs. Philadelphia) Last week: 14
Remember when Carr was disparaged as a dink and dunk guy? Was 18 of 27 for 341 yards and two touchdowns in 34-24 win over Denver. Averaged 18.9 yards per completion. Had 51-yard strike to Bryan Edwards, 48 yards to Henry Ruggs III (touchdown) and 31-yard pass to Kenyan Drake (touchdown). A big-time rebound.

9. Justin Herbert, LA Chargers (bye) Last week: 4
Just as Herbert looked poised to make a run at No. 1 comes this — 22 of 39 for 195 yards, one TD and two picks in a 28-point loss to Baltimore. Went from unstoppable to average in one week.

10. Josh Allen, Buffalo (bye) Last week: 5
In a 34-31 loss to Buffalo, Allen’s lone interception came when he was hit while throwing. Finished 35 of 47 for 353 yards, three touchdowns and the one pick. No reason to believe the Bills (4-2) aren’t legit contenders for NFC East title as well as playoff advancement.

11. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota (bye) Last week: 17
Completed 33 of 48 passes for 373 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions in Minnesota’s 34-28 overtime win over Carolina. Involved both wideouts, as Adam Thielen had 11 catches for 126 yards and Justin Jefferson eight catches for 80 yards.

12. Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee (vs. Kansas City) Last week: 15
An NFL rarity in that he takes a back seat to a running back (Derrick Henry) as the lead on offense. But Tannehill was 18 of 29 for 216 yards and made crucial throws in crunch time for Henry to take over on the ground to beat the Bills and get the Titans to 4-2

13. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati (at Baltimore) Last week: 13
With the help of a running game that had 36 carries for 142 yards, Burrow completed 19 of 29 passes for 271 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Any more questions about why Bengals took J’Marr Chase (four catches, 97 yards) instead of an offensive lineman?

14. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh (bye) Last week: 11
Managed to pull out a 23-20 win over Seattle, but gained just 229 yards on 40 pass attempts (29 completions). With no rushing play from a running back over 11 yards, Steelers managed 30 attempts but just 119 yards. Roethlisberger needs better at this point of his career.

15. Carson Wentz, Indianapolis (at 49ers) Last week: 18
Another good win or Wentz, although against suspect opposition (a 31-3 win over Houston). Went was 11 of 20 for 223 yards and two touchdowns and no interceptions. Is he all the way back? 49ers will help provide that answer.
How do you keep up with all these teams?

Bills fans wanted a slinging, running qb. Josh fit the bill.

The NFL is a quarter back driven league.
Their were some great qb in the 80's which made this so.
The fans demanded high scoring game.

Yes, were concerned about the defense, but we must absolutely have a 'top gun' at qb.

Dallas Cowboys are good example-Defense. 'were working on it, but we have a great qb,.'
Their going to run into a team with a good defense (not great) and a good offense (not great) and get their butts beat.
New England Pats, a good 500 team played the cowboys in a nip and tuck game because they have a balance Defense and Offense.
The Bills have some good running backs and they should get the ball in short yardage situations. Singletary had some good runs. I didn't get to see the game since you have to subscribe to ESPN, but I listened to it and watched the highlights.

How do you keep up with all these teams?
I read a lot - start out every morning with on-line London Guardian US, both local newspapers, NY Times, and squeeze in the WashPost (about half the time). I subscribe to, but seldom get the time to read, the Los Angeles Times as well.

I don't keep up with every NFL team, but I find about half of them interesting from a player or coaching aspect.

I do fall behind sometimes, though; since I also enjoy pro basketball and am a Golden State Warriors fan. 82 games plus playoffs/finals is A LOT to try to watch!

I read a lot - start out every morning with on-line London Guardian US, both local newspapers, NY Times, and squeeze in the WashPost (about half the time). I subscribe to, but seldom get the time to read, the Los Angeles Times as well.

I don't keep up with every NFL team, but I find about half of them interesting from a player or coaching aspect.

I do fall behind sometimes, though; since I also enjoy pro basketball and am a Golden State Warriors fan. 82 games plus playoffs/finals is A LOT to try to watch!
So you do your analysis mostly from stats? I did a search for qb rankings the other day and every list I looked at had them in a different order. Nothing wrong with that, though. Maybe I'll do my own ranking. :)

So you do your analysis mostly from stats? I did a search for qb rankings the other day and every list I looked at had them in a different order. Nothing wrong with that, though. Maybe I'll do my own ranking. :)
??? These are summaries from various news media sportswriters. I always give credit to my sources in the byline. I merely edit them - with 32 NFL teams, most articles are much too long to post "as is".

Frankly, it would make it easier on me if I just posted each sportswriter's article in its entirety, rather than combining three or four different sources. But it would easily triple or quadruple the number of screens one would need to scroll through.

I just thought since most people don't subscribe to the many media sources as I do, that they would be interested in a summary of several writers' analyses. I've always found it enlightening to read what non-local writers say about a team, taking away some of that 'hometown bias'. So I hoped others would also find it enjoyable.

I occasionally do add a personal observation if I've watched the game, especially if it's one of my home teams. Any analysis I add is based solely upon my enjoyment of watching the NFL since 1963.

Do not watch basketball or hockey, the actions are two fast and i have difficulty following the plays.
Every time they get the ball they score (most of the time).
Hockey-they get down around the net, I can't follow the puck-yes, they replay scoring plays, but ...

Baseball has been around a long time, watching the strategy of the teams in the field is a large part of the game.
What are these nine guys doint?
You can pick up some of this strategy on the TV, but it is a poor substitute for actually being at the game.
Strategy: the guy at bat always hits the ball

Cleveland tonight, is Mayfield injured?
Never mind, goggle says bone in shoulder broken.

17-11 Cleveland, a case of poor offense rather that good defense

Last edited:
I seem to have missed posting Week 6, so apologies! Onwards to Week 7:

Week 7 Predictions Pt 1 of 2
NYT, WashPost, SB Nation, local media Oct. 21, 2021 (All times Eastern)

Byes: Bills, Cowboys, Jaguars, Vikings, Steelers, Chargers.

The total of 10 OT games so far in the 2021 NFL season is tied for second most in a single season through six weeks. But the league’s competitiveness has been enjoyable, proving the old quotation about how any team can win or lose “on any given Sunday.”

Thursday Night Football – Browns 17, Broncos 14
The Cleveland Browns moved to 4-3. Filling in for the injured QB Baker Mayfield, back-up Case Keenum got the Browns' offense going early. He led a five-play, 75-yard opening drive that resulted in a TD, and Cleveland would hold that lead throughout the game en route to victory. The Broncos struggled in the first half with just 76 yds of total offense, unable to convert any of their four third-down opportunities through Q1 and Q2.

The Broncos came alive in the second half, but Browns RB D'Ernest Johnson, an undrafted free agent signed by Cleveland in 2019, filled in superbly for injured Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Johnson finished his day with 146 yds on the ground and a TD while catching both of his targets for 22 yds. A fun side note: three years ago, Johnson was working on a fishing boat. Today, after his first NFL start he’s a Browns’ hero.

Keenum completed 21 of 33 for 199 yds and a TD. Denver QB Teddy Bridgewater was 23 of 33 passing for 187 yds, two TDs, and an interception.

Calls for Denver coach Vic Fangio to be fired are a growing chorus, and there is widespread dissatisfaction with GM Patton – and even with the iconic John Elway (https://www.denverpost.com/2021/10/18/george-paton-john-elway-2-0-denver-broncos-QB-woes-nfl-2021/).

Sunday’s Best Games

KC at Tennessee Titans, 1p, CBS

Pick: KC
Chiefs continue with inexplicably poor defensive performances and coverage breakdowns. The team ranks 28th in rushing defense, a nightmare for KC (3-3) as it faces the Titans (4-2) and superstar RB Derrick Henry, the NFL’s leading rusher. The offense is not helping the defending AFC champion. KC leads the NFL in turnovers (14), and Patrick Mahomes’s eight interceptions are tied for second with Jaguars rookie Trevor Lawrence.

This could be a letdown game for Tennessee after beating Buffalo last week. The Bills, Chargers and Ravens have shown how to contain KC. The Titans’ defense could do the same, or at least keep the game competitive enough to allow Henry and the offense to gain an upset.

Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens, 1p, CBS
Pick: Ravens
The Ravens (5-1) have demonstrated they can win in several ways. Lamar Jackson can throw for over 400 yds or the team can amass 200 rushing yds. Four of the team’s six games have been decided by one score. The matchup with the Bengals (4-2) could be just as close.

Who knew the Bengals are allowing the fifth-fewest points in the NFL? Cincinnati’s defense also ranks ninth in rushing yds allowed (543), meaning Baltimore may have to rely more heavily on Jackson’s arm. Joe Burrow and the rookie wideout Ja’Marr Chase, who ranks fourth in the league in receiving yds (553), are capable of making it a shootout. Expect the Bengals to keep the game close.

Indianapolis Colts at SF 49ers, 8:20p, NBC
Pick: 49ers
SF (2-3) could join Seattle on the brink of irrelevancy in the NFC West with another loss, while both Rams and Cardinals have winnable easier games. QB Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) is likely to start as rookie Trey Lance recovers from a knee injury. The QB controversy is in full swing in the Niners fan boards. The injury bug continues to dog the Niners, with their most potent offensive weapons – TE George Kittle and RB Raheem Mostert – out. Their pass rush remains fearsome, but the secondary is suspect with two of their best defenders on IR.

The Colts (2-4) got a shot of confidence from bullying the Texans after their Q4 collapse to the Ravens. They hope to continue that momentum. Carson Wentz has thrown only one interception this season, and OG Quenton Nelson, the team’s best lineman, is practicing this week after a three-game absence. If he plays against Nick Bosa and the 49ers’ defense, it may allow Wentz and the Colts to start a win streak against a team struggling to find its identity again.
(Edited to mention: our first big rainstorm in 2 yrs threatens to make this game a messy, muddy slog! Expect a low-scoring match.)

Sunday’s Other Games

Washington Football Team at GBay Packers, 1p, Fox

Pick: Packers
No matter what mood Rodgers is in this week, the Packers (5-1) should easily beat the Footballers (2-4). Washington played competitively against KC, thanks to forcing three turnovers, but soon unraveled. Rodgers has completed nearly 67% of his passes and thrown only three interceptions. Pair that responsible play with Antonio Gibson, Washington’s leading rusher, being compromised by a shin injury, and it’s clear why GBay is a big betting favorite.

Atlanta Falcons at Miami Dolphins, 1p, Fox
Pick: Falcons
Losing to the previously winless Jaguars in London is an embarrassment to the Dolphins’ front office and coaching staffs. Completing a similar performance against the Falcons (2-3) in two consecutive weeks could be unforgivable. Tua Tagovailoa showed promising glimpses in his return from a rib injury, but the defense that kept the Dolphins (1-5) in playoff contention last year, struggled against Jags rookie Trevor Lawrence and allowed over 300 passing yds for the third time.

That’s a trend that may continue against the pass-first Falcons, who welcome receiver Calvin Ridley back after he dealt with a personal issue before the bye. These teams, whether they admit it or not, are in rebuilding mode. But the Falcons are a safer bet after a week off while Miami recovers from its London trip.

Last edited:
Week 7 Predictions Pt 2 of 2
NYT, WashPost, SB Nation, local media Oct. 21, 2021 (All times Eastern)

Byes: Bills, Cowboys, Jaguars, Vikings, Steelers, Chargers.

Jets at NE Patriots, 1p, CBS
Pick: Patriots
Zach Wilson did not throw an interception last week only because the Jets (1-4) had a bye. He has turned the ball over at least once in every game and most likely will against the Patriots (2-4). Coach Bill Belichick will again have a plan to confuse the rookie. The Patriots beat the Jets in Week 2 as Wilson threw four interceptions. Even if Wilson improves his ball security, it’s unlikely that NE will lose.

Carolina Panthers at Giants, 1p, Fox
Pick: Panthers
Expediting Daniel Jones’s return from the concussion protocol only to take a thrashing against the Rams is not a good look for the Giants (1-5). Players at skill positions - RB Saquon Barkley (ankle) and receiver Kenny Golladay (knee) - are still hurt, and rookie receiver Kadarius Toney aggravated an ankle injury. With their statuses unclear, this is a classic “get right” game for the Panthers (3-3), who have lost three straight. Sam Darnold must protect the ball better - he has thrown four interceptions in two weeks - but the Panthers’ defense will relish facing a hobbled opponent. Bet on Carolina with confidence.

Philadelphia Eagles at LVegas Raiders, 4:05p, Fox
Pick: Raiders
The Raiders looked efficient in Rich Bisaccia’s first game as the interim coach. Derek Carr silenced his many fanbase critics (at least temporarily) tossing for 341 yards and two TDs, while completing 66.7% of his passes and accounting for four big-time throws against zero turnover-worthy plays, per PFF. His 90.5 overall grade was the third-highest among QBs this week, while he faced pressure on 10% of his dropbacks which was tied for the fifth-most.

Gruden often limited use of the deep ball, preferring a ball-control, rushing-first philosophy. Under the playcalling of OC Greg Olson, Carr got to cut loose as 22.2% of his attempts were 20 yards or more down the field, tied for the third-highest percentage in Week 6. It’s clear Olson has loosened the reins on Carr, and the vet QB is happy to take full advantage. In last week’s win over Denver, the Raiders became the first NFL team to have seven pass plays of 25 yds or more in a game since the stat began being counted in 1991. Carr has a formidable receiving corp to throw to, throwing to four different playmakers for two TDs. If the Eagles don’t switch their offensive plan, LVegas could start another winning streak.

RB Miles Sanders is one of the best playmakers the Eagles (2-4) have. But Coach Nick Sirianni likes to lean on Jalen Hurts’s arm, and Sanders has not logged more than 15 rushing attempts in a game. He might find success against the Raiders (4-2) if his coach gives him the ball. LVegas ranks 25th in rushing yds allowed (784). Doing so would also alleviate pressure on Hurts as he tries to evade Raider Maxx Crosby, who leads the NFL in QB hits (18) in a massive year.

Detroit Lions at LA Rams, 4:05p, Fox
Pick: Rams
Lions QB Jared Goff played for the Rams (5-1) for five seasons and got them to the Super Bowl (they lost). Now he will visit SoFi Stadium where the QB he was exchanged for, Matthew Stafford, has transitioned seamlessly into Coach Sean McVay’s offense. Stafford is tied for third in passing TDs (16) and is fourth in passing yds (1,838). Stafford said he wants to play in big-time games. While this isn’t one of them, it is his chance to show his former team what he’s capable of when surrounded by quality supporting pieces.

Detroit Coach Dan Campbell, whose own job is probably on the line, said that Goff “needs to step up” with the Lions (0-6) the only winless team in the league. Detroit fans are starting to call for back-up David Blough to be put in. Goff’s deficiencies – more mental than physical, as is often the case with QBs – are showing up even more strongly with the less-competitive Lions players around him. Goff is lifetime 0-15 without Rams coach Sean McVay.

Houston Texans at Arizona Cardinals, 4:25p, CBS
Pick: Cardinals
DeAndre Hopkins and JJ Watt escaped the Texans’ (1-5) disjointed culture and are happy to be key contributors to the Cardinals (6-0), the league’s lone undefeated team. Houston ranks 25th out of 32 teams in points allowed per game (28.7) while Arizona is fourth in points scored per game (32.3). You need to ask who is expected to win?

Chicago Bears at TBay Buccaneers, 4:25p, CBS
Pick: Buccaneers
Last week it was Aaron Rodgers. This week it is Tom Brady, who actually does own the Bears from a percentage standpoint. A win gives Brady 6-1 all-time against the Bears (.857 ownage), a better mark than Aaron Rodgers (21-5, .808 ownage). Chicago rookie QB Justin Fields gets a front-row seat to watch another elite QB play. It may help him as he continues to develop for the Bears (3-3). It probably won’t translate to wins against the Buccaneers (5-1), whose defense is adept at pressuring QBs but has struggled to secure sacks. TBay lost Richard Sherman (hamstring), its newly acquired CB, in the first drive last Thursday, another blow to a team devastated by injuries. Even so, Fields will learn that matching throw for throw with Brady is a tough task.

Monday’s Matchup

New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks, 8:15p, ESPN

Pick: Saints
Although Seattle has talked to veteran free-agent Cam Newton as a QB option while Russell Wilson remains on IR, a deal is considered unlikely. Wilson may be back as soon as Week 10, and back-up Geno Smith has done an adequate job, despite losing a costly fumble in OT against the Steelers. Smith suffered five sacks; the OL is almost as leaky as the Seattle D. It is one of the worst defenses in the league, ranking 28th in passing yds allowed (1,754) and 30th in rushing yds allowed (845). The Saints (3-2) are woefully unpredictable. But coming off a bye, they should be ready to beat a Seahawks team in flux.

Not often do I get to watch a Titans game without a fear of the other team coming back.
Sundays game against the Chiefs was fun to watch. Derrick Henry's touchdown pass was icing on the cake.
Like where the team is at, both offense and defense. The team I've been waiting to see.

This was interesting!
Which NFL offseason moves have paid off so far? A look at the best and worst.
Taking an early look through the first part of the season at the offseason moves.
Washington Post 26Oct2021

Best moves

Bengals: Drafting Ja’Marr Chase

There was much debate over whether Cincinnati should draft LT Penei Sewell or WR Chase. Many thought the Bengals would pick Sewell, given the weakness of their OL and the need to protect QB Joe Burrow, whose rookie season was cut short by a serious knee injury.

But the Bengals went with Chase, who played with Burrow in college. Through the first seven weeks, it looks like the best move of the draft. Chase has 754 receiving yds, the most any rookie has posted in his first seven games. He has six TD catches and is averaging 21.5 yds per reception. The Burrow-Chase connection has helped Cincinnati go 5-2, which is tied for the best record in the AFC.

Rams: Trading for Matthew Stafford
The move to upgrade at QB was costly, but so far it looks like a no-brainer. LA is a Super Bowl contender at 6-1, and Stafford has been great. He is completing 69.3% of his passes, has 19 TD throws and is averaging 310.3 yds per game.

It’s possible that the Rams’ willingness to trade their first-round draft picks - including giving up two, along with Jared Goff, to land Stafford - catches up to them. But the early returns are excellent.

Cardinals: Signing JJ Watt
Watt has had a big impact, even if that doesn’t show up in stats. His leadership has helped a flawed defense come together. The Cardinals (7-0) are the last undefeated team. QB Kyler Murray has been great in leading their high-powered offense, but the defense deserves a lot of credit, too.

Patriots: Signing Matthew Judon and drafting Mac Jones
Judon has been a wrecking ball, posting 6.5 sacks and 12 QB hits. He is a lockerroom leader and the most productive of NE’s many FA additions.

Last of the five QBs drafted in the first round, Jones so far has performed the best. He’s completing 70.4% of his throws and has nine TDs. The great part is the Patriots didn’t have to trade up from the 15th pick to get him. They’re 3-4 but would be in worse shape without Judon and Jones.

Raiders: Signing Yannick Ngakoue
LVegas has gotten more from Ngakoue than the $13 million per year it is paying him. The Raiders’ defense was horrible last year, but Ngakoue has helped make it legit. He has four sacks and 10 QB hits, and has reestablished himself as one of the better edge rushers in the league.

It’s also worth noting that, despite a poor draft record under Jon Gruden’s tenure, the Raiders came away with a couple of good values in this year’s class: fifth-round CB Nate Hobbs and second-round safety Trevon Moehrig.

Worst moves

Bears: Letting their starting tackles go

This one is simple. Chicago didn’t re-sign RT Bobby Massie and then cut LT Charles Leno Jr. The result is one of the worst OLs seen in years. It has largely ruined the chances for rookie QB Justin Fields to succeed. Fields, who replaced Andy Dalton, has been sacked 22 times and is averaging just 6.2 yds per pass attempt.

The Bears gave up next year’s first-round pick to move to #11 and get Fields. If this doesn’t get fixed soon, it could cost GM Ryan Pace and Coach Matt Nagy their jobs.

Texans: Just about.....everything
The Houston brain trust is largely to blame for making this one of the worst teams in football. Star QB Deshaun Watson’s legal situation is out of their control, but there’s a strong argument that the Texans’ decision-makers should have traded him before the draft, when Watson said he would no longer play for the team. It’s possible a deal gets done before the trade deadline Nov. 2, but it’s hard to imagine them getting a better return than if they done so beforehand.

But they also unloaded so many players, including Watt, WRs Will Fuller V and Randall Cobb, center Nick Martin and pass rusher Whitney Mercilus. The result is a 1-6 season, $36 million in dead money under the salary cap, and no improvement in sight.

Dolphins: Trading away a valuable first-round pick
After winning 10 games last year, Miami is 1-6 and tied for last in the AFC. The Dolphins might be ready to give up on QB Tagovailoa; they’re in trade talks for Watson.

We’ll see if a deal comes to fruition, but this roster isn’t just one player away. They got rid of LBs Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson and DB Bobby McCain, with little to replace them.

The Dolphins also sent their 2022 first-round pick to Philadelphia to move to #6 in 2021’s draft, selecting WR Jaylen Waddle. He’s good, but that’s a tough deal to justify in retrospect, knowing that 2022 pick could be a top-five selection.

Panthers: Trading for Sam Darnold
Darnold started off well, leading the Panthers to a 3-0 record. But after a four-game losing streak, Sunday he was benched.

Coach Matt Rhule said Darnold is still the starter, but it’s not looking good for his long-term prospects in Carolina. It’s possible the Panthers enter the Watson trade discussions, or pursue a FA in the offseason. Either way, they probably wish they could get back the second- and fourth-round picks in next year’s draft that went to the NY Jets.

Lions: Decimating their receiving corps
The plan was to break down the roster and build it back up. Detroit certainly accomplished the first part. It’s hard to knock the trade for Goff, given the Lions knew they had to deal Stafford and received big draft capital in return. But by letting WRs Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones Jr. walk, they left Goff without any legitimate weapons on the outside, and the offense has struggled during an 0-7 start. Drafting OT Sewell was a good move, but this rebuild could take a while.

Like reading about the snafus costing millions; trying to milk the last years out of a veteran often finds teams fielding an old man who
has run out of gas.

Goff can count his millions, but as a QB the talent has disappeared, will it resurface?
The psyche of athletes are as fragile as those found in our world.
Interesting

I suppose Houston serves as the best example of 'How NOT to run a football franchise.
Detroit has a longer history of miscues, only because their franchise is older.
There is always the Cowboy's Jerry Jones, "I'm going to draft a receiver." He may have seven or so
already on the team. He is crazy about wide receivers=defense does not interest him.

I know little to nothing about AFL teams. Belichick, without Brady, seems seems to do it with smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
QB power rankings: Who’d have figured? The $450 million man is in free fall
KC Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes look for answers after big loss to Titans — but at least he’s not Jimmy Garoppolo
Bay Area News Group By JERRY MCDONALD: October 26, 2021 (edited/annotated by lethe200, in italics) Pt 1 of 2

On to this week’s rankings:

1. Dak Prescott, Dallas (at Minnesota) Last week: 1
Cowboys will be watching closely this week in practice to see if calf injury will compromise Prescott’s ability to drive the ball downfield. Bye week was perfect timing for a week off after the injury on the final play against NE.

2. Aaron Rodgers, GBay (at Arizona) Last week: 2
Was a workman-like 27 of 35 for 274 yds, three TDs and no interceptions against Washington. In control throughout, no reason for Rodgers to take chances, although it’s amazing to watch him throw late and over the middle to Davante Adams and succeed while breaking a cardinal rule. He’ll miss Adams this week due to COVID-19.

3. Tom Brady, TBay (at New Orleans) Last week: 3
Brady had four TD passes at halftime of a 38-3 win over the Bears. The Bears have three all season. With 602 TD passes in his career, Brady has 329 more than Joe Montana, 312 more than Johnny Unitas and 302 more than John Elway.

4. Derek Carr, LVegas (bye) Last week: 8
Carr was 31 of 34 for 323 yds, a pair of TDs and one bad interception early. Through two games, appears to be benefiting from a pass-first attack with the protection holding up. The Raiders then ran late with a healthy lead in 33-22 win over Philadelphia. Philly played a soft zone D the entire game, and Carr took them to the woodshed.

5. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati (vs. NY Jets) Last week: 13
Burrow was 26 of 38 for 416 yds and three TDs in blowout win over Ravens. He was 8 of 10 for 201 yds and a TD to Ja’Marr Chase. Anyone still think Penei Sewell should have been the draft pick over Chase?

6. Kyler Murray, Arizona (vs. GBay) Last week: 5
The Cardinals continued to run the ball effectively and Murray continued to thrive. He was 20 of 28 for 261 yds, three TDs and one interception in a 31-5 win against overmatched Houston. But the big test comes this Thursday nite vs GBay.

7. Matt Stafford, LA Rams (at Houston) Last week: 7
The whole Jared Goff vs. Stafford duel was a mismatch from the start based on supporting cast. Stafford was 28 of 41 for 334 yds, three TDs and no interceptions.

8. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore (bye) Last week: 4
Jackson was under 50 percent passing (15 of 31) but passed for 257 yds and rushed for 88 yds in 41-17 loss to Cincinnati. Numbers are a byproduct of being behind big for most of the day.

9. Justin Herbert, LA Chargers (vs. NE) Last week: 9
A pre-bye blowout loss to Baltimore came out of nowhere following three straight wins where Hebert looked unstoppable and among the NFL’s elite QBs. He looks to get back on track against the Patriots.

10. Josh Allen, Buffalo (vs. Miami) Last week: 10
Went from the high of taking down the Chiefs to a loss against Tennessee heading into the bye week. With Dolphins, Jacksonville and the Jets coming up, it’s a clear path for Allen to put up numbers and position himself in the MVP race.

11. Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee (at Indianapolis) Last week: 12
Gashed the Chiefs early and then the Titans sat on their lead, leading 24-0 at halftime en route to 27-3 win. Tannehill finished 21 of 27 for 270 yds, one TD and one interception. Hard to believe this team lost to the Jets.

12. Patrick Mahomes, KC (vs. NY Giants) Last week: 6
Didn’t think Mahomes would be susceptible to the mythological Super Bowl hangover that accompanies the losing team in the biggest game. But here we are. The collapse of KC’s defense is proving to be more than even SuperQB Mahomes can overcome.

13. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota (vs. Dallas) Last week: 11
Cousins went into the bye week with some momentum with wins over Detroit and Carolina. Things get more precarious for the Vikings after a week off with the Cowboys, Ravens and Chargers up in the next three games. At 3-3, they’ll do well to be 5-4.

14. Matt Ryan (vs. Carolina) Last week: 17
TE Kyle Pitts is having the impact the Falcons had hoped. He caught passes of 28 and 25 yds on the game-winning drive in 30-28 win over Miami. Ryan was 25 of 40 for 336 yds, two TDs and an interception. Pitts had seven catches for 163 yds.

15. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh (at Cleveland) Last week: 14
Roethlisberger’s post-bye lineup with the Steelers at 3-3 includes a road game at Cleveland (without Baker Mayfield) and then home games against Chicago and Detroit. Could present an opportunity for ascending in the AFC North.

16. Carson Wentz, Indianapolis (vs. Tennessee) Last week: 15
Had one egregious lost fumble but threw two TD passes and had a rushing TD in a 30-18 road win over the 49ers. Was 16 of 27 for 150 yds and showed he still has the knack for a big play with a 34-yard kill shot to Michael Pittman and an earlier 57-yard strike to Pittman.

17. Jameis Winston, New Orleans (vs. TBay) Last week: 16
Winston completed 19 of 35 for 222 yds, one TD and no interceptions and has the Saints at 4-2 but was unimpressive in the Saints’ 13-10 road win in Seattle. Coach Sean Payton is keeping close wraps on Winston, helping to cut down his turnover totals.

18. Case Keenum, Cleveland (vs. Pittsburgh) Last week: 18 (Mayfield)
Remember when Keenum took Minnesota to the NFC championship game? With the Cleveland running game and the protection afforded by an OL coached by Bill Callahan, this is the best shot Keenum has at a repeat. Was 21 of 33 for 199 yds and a TD in win over Denver.

QB power rankings: Who’d have figured? The $450 million man is in free fall
Bay Area News Group By JERRY MCDONALD: October 26, 2021 (edited/annotated by lethe200, in italics) Pt 2 of 2
Continuing this week’s rankings:

19. Mac Jones, NE (at LA Chargers) Last week: 20
Jones must have felt he was back at Alabama after completing 24 of 36 for 307 yds and two TDs as the Patriots rolled up 551 yds in a 54-13 win over the hapless Jets. He may never be Brady’s equal, but Belichick’s proving a master at bringing along a young rookie QB without damaging his confidence or letting him fall into bad habits. Other coaches (are you listening, NYG, SF, JJ, and CB?) should take notice.

20. Daniel Jones, NY Giants (at KC) Last week: 24
Jones was 23 of 33 for 203 yds with a TD and had 28 yds in scrambles in a 22-point win over Carolina. But having come off concussion protocol two weeks prior, a number of sportswriters and analysts were questioning after this game why a play calling for Jones to be a receiver, on which he was hit hard by a defender’s knee to his helmet, was called for at all. Coach Joe Judge is an old-school ‘football is for tough guys’ proponent, but it would be a shame to ruin the future of a promising prospect whom the team is hoping will be the star around which they can compete in the NFC East.

21. Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville (at Seattle) Last week: 25
Numbers are pretty much pedestrian across the board at the bye week, although Lawrence did get his first win against Miami before getting some much-needed time off.

22. Teddy Bridgewater, Denver (vs. Washington) Last week: 21
That’s four straight losses for Bridgewater after falling to Browns Thursday night. Was 23 of 33 for 187 yds, two TDs and an interception. Drew Lock is warming up in the bullpen and John Elway is wondering about the reaction should they bring in Deshaun Watson.

23. Tua Tagovaiola, Miami (at Buffalo) Last week: 26
With Deshaun Watson rumors percolating, Tagovaiola continued to throw horizontally (32 of 40, 291 yds) but threw a pair of Q4 TD passes to give Miami a 28-27 lead. Unfortunately, he left enough time (2:27) for Atlanta to kick the game winner.

24. Sam Darnold, Carolina (at Atlanta) Last week: 19
It’s been a steady descent for Darnold since an encouraging start, coinciding with Christian McCaffrey’s absence due to injury. Hit bottom against Giants and was benched in favor of P.J. Walker in the second half. Darnold was 16 of 25 for 11 yds. Walker 3 of 14 for 33 yds. A train wreck of a 25-3 loss.

25. Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia (at Detroit) Last week: 22
It’s becoming clear either Hurts isn’t the QB of the future or he still doesn’t have his teammates of the future. Hurts is a strong runner but a weak passer, and when the Eagles lost their first string RB to injury and fell behind 24-7, Hurts was forced to pass. He was 18 of 34 for 236 yds and rushed for 61 yds, but the Raiders had the game in control early in the third quarter.

26. Geno Smith, Seattle (vs. Jacksonville) Last week: 29
Pretty much nothing after an early 84-yard TD pass to D.K. Metcalf on a night when the Seahawks had a chance to win one against New Orleans. Smith needs to put up a W or two before Russell Wilson returns. Right now it’s a competition between Seattle and SF for the bottom spot in the NFC West.

27. Zach Wilson, NY Jets (vs. Cincinnati) Last week: 30
Left with a knee injury early in a 41-point loss to NE. Was 6 of 10 for 51 yds at the time he was injured. Will miss two to four weeks. Jets traded for Joe Flacco just in case.

28. Taylor Heineke, Washington (at Denver) Last week: 31
Directed an 83-yard scoring drive on first possession, and then just a single FG the rest of the way in loss to Packers. Good numbers (95 yds rushing, 268 passing) but well short of success in terms of the bottom line. Slid too early on a goal-line run and cost Washington a TD.

29. Jared Goff, Detroit (vs. Philadelphia) Last week: 23
Goff started off well enough against his former team with a 63-yard TD pass to D’Andre Smith, but the Lions then settled for four FGs in a 28-19 defeat against the Rams. Finished 22 of 36 for 268 yds, the one TD, and two picks.

30. Jimmy Garoppolo, 49ers (at Chicago) Last week: 28
It’ll be Jimmy G. against Chicago after a poor performance in a heavy rain Sunday night in loss to Colts. Trey Lance isn’t ready yet physically, so Kyle Shanahan will stand behind Garoppolo. Until he doesn’t.

31. Davis Mills, Houston (vs. LA Rams) Last week: 32
The Texans averaged fewer yds per pass attempt (4.2, 32 attempts, 135 yds) with Mills at QB than Arizona averaged per rush (3.6, 37 carries, 172 yds) in a 35-3 loss.

32. Justin Fields, Chicago (vs. 49ers) Last week: 27
It’s not all on Fields, but the Bears now have less than 200 net passing yds in seven consecutive games in an era that promotes big passing numbers. Fields was 22 of 32 for 184 yds and three picks in a 38-3 loss to Bucs and his sideline body language was awful.

What We Learned From Week 7 in the NFL Pt 1 of 2
NYTimes, WashPost, SB Nation, and local media – Oct. 24, 2021

QB’s no man’s land is a scary place.
Last off-season, several teams acted out of pure desperation at the most important position in football. The SF 49ers and the LA Rams threw away first-round picks to acquire new franchise QBs the way Oprah Winfrey gave away cars.

Taking a big swing in the off-season doesn’t always pan out. We’ll know soon if Matthew Stafford can get the Rams over the hump. It will take years to determine if the rookie Trey Lance was worth the heavy price in SF. But such swings at least give their teams a chance.

There were a few teams in win-now mode that took more half-baked approaches to the position. It cost the Carolina Panthers a mere pittance - a sixth-round pick in 2021 and second- and fourth-round picks in 2022 - for the former third overall pick Sam Darnold. The Washington Football Team signed Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke on the cheap. Denver mortgaged little for Teddy Bridgewater.

Where has it left those teams? On the outside looking in. Week 7 highlighted exactly why teams go for broke at QB in the spring. Trying to get by with B-minus talent can’t compensate for team weaknesses elsewhere.

Panthers QB Sam Darnold continued to regress in a 25-3 loss to the Giants. Darnold’s intentional grounding penalty was ruled a safety in the second quarter of Carolina’s loss to the Giants. Clearly affected by the lingering absence of RB Christian McCaffrey, the former Jet threw for a meager 111 yds and was benched. The Panthers have lost four straight.

Taylor Heinicke is fun to watch in Washington. A poor man’s version of the QB he idolized, Brett Favre, Heinicke sprints and dives all over the field and has come up with game-ending heroics this season. But against GBay, his limitations were exposed and his TD (and Lambeau Leap) was negated.

Denver’s Teddy Bridgewater mustered only 14 points Thursday night against a stiff Browns defense and seemed benchable for Drew Lock.

And onto the scores:

Titans 27, Chiefs 3

Star RB Derrick Henry is again on a pace to set the season rushing record after falling 100 yds short in 2020. But to reach the Super Bowl, the Titans will need QB Tannehill (who had 21 of 27 passes for 270 yds with a 105.3 passer rating) and the receiving corps to stay healthy. Tannehill completed passes to nine different players against KC (3-4).

The Titans reset their secondary with edge rusher Bud Dupree, whose five-year, $82.5 million deal proved its worth when he strip-sacked Mahomes and forced KC to punt. Although Henry only ran for 89 yds on 29 tries (a 3.1 yds per carry average), he got to throw his first TD pass out of the wildcat formation.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, are lost at the divisional bottom. Not even Mahomes can play every week at a ridiculously extreme pace to keep KC alive. We now know the Chiefs’ defense is really bad, but the 27-point deficit KC faced at halftime was the largest in Mahomes’ career. Trying to compensate for a sieve of a defense, Mahomes is now tied for the league lead in interceptions.

Mahomes cleared the concussion protocol, but down 27-3, Coach Andy Reid wisely decided to take him out of the game.

Bucs 38, Bears 3
Chicago is the third-largest city in the country, which may be why the Bears are constantly in prime time television slots. That way America gets to see the defending champions embarrass a franchise that continues to display zero direction.

Rookie Justin Fields played poorly again, but the team's problems are too deep-rooted for any QB to succeed. Fields was sacked four times and threw three interceptions on Sunday. The QB Pace and Nagy truly coveted, Seattle’s Russell Wilson, would likely not have changed the outcome. Bears receivers dropped passes. The OL cratered. The defense, supposedly a bright spot, was no match for TBay (6-1). The 35 points the Bears allowed in the first half is the most they’ve conceded in a first half since their loss to GBay on Nov. 9, 2014. It looks doubtful that Pace and Nagy can keep their jobs into 2022.

TBay had four TD passes - including the 600th of Tom Brady’s career - in the first half. Chicago has had three all season. That continuity, losing in prime time, will continue when the Bears play the Steelers on Monday Night Football in two weeks.

Around the NFL

Raiders 33, Eagles 22

Right when it looked like Derek Carr had plateaued, he completed 31 of 34 passes for 323 yds with two TDs. A remarkable seven different players caught at least three passes, despite LVegas playing without TE Darren Waller and having star RB Josh Jacobs exit due to injury. While KC has nosedived in the AFC West, the Raiders have rolled to the top of the division.

Carr’s completion percentage for the game was 91.2%, second only to the 96.7% Drew Brees recorded vs the Colts in 2019. He completed 16 straight passes at one point in the first half. After falling into a 7-0 hole on the first possession of the game, the Raiders rattled off 30 unanswered points to take a 30-7 lead into the fourth quarter, and they didn’t punt until there were eight seconds left in the third quarter.

The Raiders’ signal-caller picked apart the Eagles' defense in the short to intermediate areas of the field, but the few deep shots he did take were on point too. Per Pro Football Focus, he only had two attempts 20 or more yards past the line of scrimmage, but he completed both of them for 72 yards and a 96.0 passing grade. The latter currently ranks second among all Week 7 quarterbacks. It’s impressive as the team’s OL remains in flux and has not performed up to the standards set in previous years, allowing a much higher percentage of pressures on Carr.

What We Learned From Week 7 in the NFL Pt 2 of 2
NYTimes, WashPost, SB Nation, and local media – Oct. 24, 2021

Cardinals 31, Texans 5
The Cardinals technically did not need another receiving threat but upgraded anyway last week, adding TE Zach Ertz, who caught three passes for 66 yds with one TD in his first game with Arizona. Ertz out-raced three defensive backs to the end zone on the score. Houston’s only points came from a safety and a FG.

AZ hopes the easy win gives them a bounce for Thursday’s big game vs GBay. The Cards are banged up – JJ Watt is out, and center Rodney Hudson’s capable replacement Max Garcia may not suit up. The Pack is dealing with a mini-COVID outbreak; Rodgers’ favorite receiver WR Davonte Adams and DC Joe Barry are out of the game.

Rams 28, Lions 19
A fake punt provided Detroit some hope. On fourth-and-8 in the third quarter, Lions Coach Dan Campbell rolled the dice, the Lions converted and dreams of a colossal upset seemed real. That drive ended without a score, though, and the discrepancy in talent caught up with Detroit. Matthew Stafford’s 5-yard TD pass to Cooper Kupp at the start of the Q4 proved to be the difference.

Lions QB Jared Goff wasn’t bad in his return to LA, but threw an interception in the red zone to CB Jalen Ramsey with five minutes left. The Lions are now 0-7 and solidly on pace for that all-important first overall draft pick.

Bengals 41, Ravens 17
It’s official. The Bengals are for real. Against the same defense that stifled Chargers QB Justin Herbert one week ago, Joe Burrow threw for 416 yds and three TDs. Nearly half of that production (201 yds) went to his former college teammate, Ja’Marr Chase. Chase had eight catches for 201 yds, including an astounding 82-yard catch and run for a TD. The rookie is the current favorite for offensive rookie of the year – he has more receiving yds through seven games (754) than any first-year player in history.

Packers 24, Washington Football Team 10
Who says Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have weapons? WR Allen Lazard and TE Robert Tonyan combined for 123 yds and two TDs, and GBay cruised with ease at home. They’ll be needed with Davonte Adams in COVID protocol.

Falcons 30, Dolphins 28
Miami suffered another heartbreaker, losing on a walk-off FG. Tua Tagovailoa’s two interceptions did nothing to silence the Deshaun Watson trade rumors.

Atlanta QB Matt Ryan passed for 336 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. In just his sixth game as a professional, TE Kyle Pitts hauled in seven catches for 163 yards. Pitts was vital on the game-winning drive with two of his catches going for 51 yards to help put the team in position to win. His 471 receiving yards are the most by a rookie TE after six games in NFL history. You can easily sense the trust component between Pitts and Ryan. But the injuries are mounting in Atlanta’s D: both CBs and the safety were lost to injuries.

Patriots 54, Jets 13
Dates with the NFL’s worst teams always seem to come at the right time for Bill Belichick’s club. After another devastating loss, the Patriots faced the hapless Jets and rolled to 31 first downs and 551 total yds. NE did not turn the ball over and punted once.

Jets rookie QB Zach Wilson left in the first half with a sprained PCL and did not return. His estimated timeline to return is 2 to 4 weeks; the Jets got Joe Flacco from the Eagles to fill in.

Giants 25, Panthers 3
After tearing through the soft part of their schedule early, the Panthers have come crashing back to earth. This is as pathetic as it gets in today’s NFL. Sam Darnold averaged 4.4 yds per pass attempt, Chuba Hubbard averaged 2.3 yds per carry and Carolina converted 2 of 15 on third downs. Against, uh, the Giants.

Carolina will try to end their four-game losing streak when they take on the Falcons (3-3). Atlanta has won two of their last three games after starting 1-2.

Colts 30, 49ers 18
The American West is in an epic mega-drought. So of course the first solid rainstorm in three years blew in to drop 6 inches of rain in 24 hrs on a muddy, sloppy slog at Levi’s Stadium. There were turnovers. There were dropped passes. There was a muffed punt, kicked into the end zone for a safety. A referee’s microphone malfunctioned during the second half.

QB Carson Wentz threw two TD passes and had a TD run as the Colts improved their record to 3-4 with their second straight victory. Tailback Jonathan Taylor ran for 107 yds and a TD. Wentz managed only 150 passing yds, and he and Taylor lost fumbles. But that was enough on this night.

The 49ers had four turnovers. QB Jimmy Garoppolo, in his return to the lineup after missing a game with a calf injury, lost a fumble and threw two late interceptions. WR Deebo Samuel also lost a fumble. Garoppolo threw for 181 yds a TD. Rookie RB Elijah Mitchell ran for 107 yds and a TD. But the 49ers lost their fourth straight game and their record dropped to 2-4.

Monday Night Football: Saints 13, Seahawks 10
The Saints capitalized on a series of Seattle mistakes for a win on MNF. Jameis Winston was 19 of 35 for 222 yards and added 43 yards rushing. Two of the Seahawks’ biggest mistakes came on New Orleans’ deciding drive when Seattle were flagged for roughing the passer and jumping offside on a long field-goal attempt. Both penalties gave New Orleans first downs, and Johnson’s field goal coming out of the two-minute warning put the Saints ahead.

Seattle back-up Geno Smith was pressured all night. Smith went 12 of 22 for 167 yards and was sacked five times. The Seahawks lost their third straight game for the first time since 2011 and fell to 0-3 at home.

As Lethe 200 portrays, you talk about the NFL, you have to start with the QBs.

I want to talk about wide receivers that were uncanny to watch.
Most not remembered
1. Lance Alworth, so graceful he looked like he was loping easy, then he was ten yards behind defensive backs
2. Randy Moss, I know how he got free, his strides covered 40 feet, defensive backs could not run with him-regardless of how deep they played
Well, not 40 feet, but over four feet in full stride.
3, Bullet Bob Hayes-Boom in the end zone, how did he get there?
No one knows, Hays is responsible for zone defense.

4. The Cardinals Fitzgerald might belong in this group, have not viewed him enough.

I know how jerry rice and those with similar styles got open, you could see their patters, but these old guys (1-3)
How did they do that?

P.S.
Saw a clip with Joey Heatherton, who married Dallas Cowboy's Wide Receiver Lance Rentzel
who was arrested for exposing himself to a nine year old girl.
So we have the final category for wide receivers;
1. Preverts-Lance Rentzel

Last edited:
NFL Week 8 Predictions Pt 1 of 2
Aaron Rodgers’s top two receivers may be out against the 7-0 Cardinals, and the Saints must rely on Alvin Kamara to move past the Buccaneers while the Dolphins stare down the Bills and the trade deadline.
NYT By Emmanuel Morgan Oct. 28, 2021

Nearing the midpoint of the (newly extended) NFL regular season, injuries are mounting and teams are sizing up their postseason chances as the Nov. 2 trade deadline looms.

Coaches of middling franchises have doled out public support for their QBs while speculation persists over whether any team will trade for Deshaun Watson, who faces open investigations into sexual misconduct accusations.

In the meantime, the TBay Buccaneers and the NO Saints are managing their injuries, the Dallas Cowboys and LA Chargers have made the most of bye weeks to get players healthy, and the GBay Packers must contend with players and staff members who tested positive for the coronavirus while preparing to face the undefeated Arizona Cardinals.

Amid all the personnel juggling in the league, the Detroit Lions could sneak to a first victory!

Byes: Ravens, Raiders.

Thursday’s Matchup
GBay Packers at Arizona Cardinals, 8:20p, Fox and NFL Network

Pick: Cardinals
Against one of the best defenses in the NFL, QB Aaron Rodgers may be without two of his top targets. WRs Allen Lazard and Davante Adams are on the Covid-19 reserve list, along with defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Their absence will limit Rodgers in any attempt to go throw for throw with Kyler Murray, who ranks fifth in passing yds (2,002) and is tied for fourth in TD passes (17). JJ Watt has been ruled out because of a shoulder injury, but the defense still has enough pass rushers to frustrate the Packers. Add the fact that GBay 6-1) will face the Cardinals (7-0) after a short week of practice, and it’s tough to see the Packers winning. But it is, after all, still a risk to bet against Rodgers, who is still in his prime.

TBay Buccaneers at NO Saints, 4:25p, Fox
Pick: Buccaneers
Tom Brady continues to defy age for the Buccaneers (6-1), throwing at least four TD passes in four of TBay’s seven games. Coach Bruce Arians said he was hopeful that TE Rob Gronkowski (ribs), linebacker Lavonte David (ankle) and CB Richard Sherman (hamstring) would return to the team.

The Saints (4-2) are ascending but desperately need injured playmakers to return and reduce the load on RB Alvin Kamara. Deonte Harris (hamstring), a receiver and punt returner, and QB Taysom Hill (concussion) could be available, but receiver Michael Thomas is still recovering from off-season ankle injury. Without him, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles can focus on containing Kamara and baiting QB Jameis Winston into miscues against his old team.

NE Patriots at LA Chargers, 4:05p CBS
Pick: Chargers
RB Damien Harris has overcome his early-season fumbles to become a respectable carrier, ranking eighth in the NFL in rushing yds (437) for the Patriots (3-4). He should have a big day against the Chargers (4-2), who have one of the league’s worst rushing defenses.

But LA is coming off a loss to the Ravens and then a bye in Week 7, and should be raring to put up numbers. The Chargers’ secondary, led by safety Derwin James, is more than capable of containing NE’s rookie QB, Mac Jones.

Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings, 8:20p, NBC
Pick: Dallas
Jerry Jones said he expected QB Dak Prescott to play Sunday against the Vikings (3-3), barring any setbacks in practice after he injured his calf before the team’s bye week. Prescott allows the Cowboys (5-1) to be competitive against Minnesota’s defense, which has allowed the league’s fifth-fewest passing yds (1,382). Kirk Cousins has struggled under pressure, but Dallas’s defense has only 11 sacks this season, the third-fewest in the league. Five of the Vikings’ six games have been decided by one score, and if its defense can limit Dallas’s passing attack, Minnesota could cover.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, 1p, CBS
Pick: Browns
This game is as close to a “must win” as possible for both the Steelers (3-3) and the Browns (4-3), who have lost ground in the AFC North to the Bengals and the Ravens.

It is unclear whether Baker Mayfield (shoulder) will play, though signs point to the return of RB Nick Chubb (calf), who practiced Monday after a two-game absence. Chubb and the third-string RB, D’Ernest Johnson, won’t be enough to carry the Browns to a win against the Steelers’ seventh-ranked rush defense. Expect Pittsburgh to put up a fight to stay off the division’s floor, a challenge that gets easier if the Cleveland backup Case Keenum is forced to make plays.

Tennessee Titans at Indianapolis Colts, 1p, CBS
Pick: Titans
The Titans (5-2) have beaten teams considered to be Super Bowl contenders in the AFC and are riding a three-game win streak. The Colts (3-4) are also gaining momentum behind Carson Wentz’s safe passing (just one interception this season). But the Colts don’t have the league’s leading rusher, Derrick Henry. Henry is making a strong case for the MVP Award. He needs only 131 yards against the Colts to reach 1,000 yds with less than half the season over. The Titans are the hotter team, and after a thorough dismantling of KC last week, it would be safe to assume they will cover against a less talented offense.

NFL Week 8 Predictions Pt 2 of 2
NYT By Emmanuel Morgan Oct. 28, 2021

Sunday’s Other Games

Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons, 1p, Fox

Pick: Falcons
Sam Darnold’s rapid descent after Carolina’s 3-0 start led to rumors that the team was interested in trading for Texans QB Deshaun Watson ahead of the Nov. 2 deadline, despite Watson’s uncertain future as he faces accusations of sexual misconduct. Coach Matt Rhule has said Darnold will remain the QB for the Panthers (3-4), though he was benched in Q4 of a loss to the Giants.

While Carolina has plummeted in the NFC South, the Falcons (3-3) have won three of their last four. The rookie TE Kyle Pitts leads the team in receiving yds (471) and has developed into a dependable option, as has the versatile back Cordarrelle Patterson. Atlanta’s offense should score more points while the Panthers continue to sputter, so expect the Falcons to cover.

Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills, 1p, CBS
Pick: Bills
The Dolphins (1-6) are considered the most likely destination for Deshaun Watson, but so much is wrong with Miami’s roster that it is far-fetched to think it could be improved with one addition. Tua Tagovailoa is 1-3 through four starts for the Dolphins this season. The defense has allowed the most yds (2,904) in the league and is tied for 30th in passing TDs allowed (15). Coach Brian Flores has repeatedly said he’s sticking with Tagovailoa, even against the Bills (4-2), a franchise that has a lot to teach Miami about properly developing a QB and surrounding him with dependable help and a strong defense.

SF 49ers at Chicago Bears, 1p, Fox
Pick: 49ers
Coach Kyle Shanahan committed to Jimmy Garoppolo as SF’s QB for this game against the Bears (3-4), despite growing calls for rookie Trey Lance. SF (2-4) is trying to stay out of the NFC West basement, but injuries to their vaunted pass rushers are not helping. First-stringers Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, and Samson Ebukam sat out Thursday practice, but hopefully will be on the field Sunday. Missing any of them would give even embattled Bears rookie QB Justin Fields a rare chance to zip passes past a third-rate Niners secondary that leads the NFL in PI calls.

The Bears’ OL has allowed the most sacks in the league (26), which has stunted Fields’s adjustment to the pros. The rookie QB’s five turnovers against the Bucs last week were the painful result. Regardless of who starts for the 49ers, they will face a Bears defense playing without pass rusher Khalil Mack, which should allow SF to cover easily.

Philadelphia Eagles at Detroit Lions, 1p, Fox
Pick: Eagles
Are the Lions (0-7) the best winless team in recent NFL history? They’ve played competitively in nearly every game before unraveling late (usually because of a Jared Goff turnover). Detroit could finally snap the streak against the Eagles (2-5), who are plagued by an unbalanced and inconsistent offense. Jalen Hurts ranks in the top 10 in passing attempts (242), but in three straight games he has completed less than 60%. Philadelphia’s underutilized RB, Miles Sanders, injured his ankle and could be out, giving the Lions their best chance yet at a win.

Cincinnati Bengals at Jets, 1p, CBS
Pick: Bengals
The rookie Zach Wilson injured his knee in last week’s loss and is expected to miss at least two games, a devastating blow to the Jets (1-6), who have struggled under their first-year coach, Robert Saleh. The offense for the Bengals (5-2) ranks seventh in passing yds (1,839), and QB Joe Burrow leads the league in yds per completion, thanks largely to the rookie receiver Ja’Marr Chase, who is tied for third in TD catches (6).

LA Rams at Houston Texans, 1p, Fox
Pick: Rams
Tyrod Taylor could return this week for the Texans (1-6) after rehabbing a hamstring injury that has kept him out since Week 2. It won’t matter. The Rams (6-1) should encounter little resistance attacking a defense that ranks last in rushing yds allowed (1,020) and 21st in passing yds allowed (1,724). The oddsmakers rate this a blowout for LAR.

Jacksonville Jaguars at Seattle Seahawks, 4:05p, CBS
Pick: Seahawks
Geno Smith has been sacked five times each in his two starts for the Seahawks (2-5) while Russell Wilson recovers from finger surgery. The team’s limited offensive production, coupled with a defense that ranks 29th in passing yds allowed (1,964) and 30th in rushing yds allowed (939), has dropped Seattle to the bottom of the NFC West. Their last two games have been decided by 3 points, which gives the Jaguars (1-5), fresh off their first win and rested from a bye, a remote chance at an upset.

Washington Footballers at Denver Broncos, 4:25p, Fox
Pick: Broncos
The Broncos (3-4) have lost four straight after a 3-0 start against weak competition. Teddy Bridgewater is inconsistent in driving the ball downfield, and the defense, once thought to be the team’s strength, could not stop the Browns’ third-string RB from rushing for over 100 yds last week. The Footballers (2-5) have also underperformed because of a defense that is surrendering the most passing yds in the league (2,104). But Washington feels like a safer bet, as it has mostly played well against good competition.

Monday’s Matchup
Giants at KC, 8:15p, ESPN

Pick: KC
It is as if the NFL schedule makers foresaw that KC (3-4) would struggle this season and offered the team get-right games immediately after its toughest matchups. Patrick Mahomes is now tied for the league lead in interceptions (9), while the Giants’ Daniel Jones has played relatively responsibly compared with previous seasons.

As has been the case for weeks, it is unclear whether Saquon Barkley (ankle), Kenny Golladay (knee) or Kadarius Toney (ankle) will play, and now safety Jabrill Peppers is on injured reserve with knee and ankle injuries. Jones and the Giants (2-5) blew out the Panthers last week despite being short-handed, but the odds say it’s unlikely to happen against a KC team embarrassed last week by the Titans.

As Lethe 200 portrays, you talk about the NFL, you have to start with the QBs.

I want to talk about wide receivers that were uncanny to watch.
Most not remembered
1. Lance Alworth, so graceful he looked like he was loping easy, then he was ten yards behind defensive backs
2. Randy Moss, I know how he got free, his strides covered 40 feet, defensive backs could not run with him-regardless of how deep they played
Well, not 40 feet, but over four feet in full stride.
3, Bullet Bob Hayes-Boom in the end zone, how did he get there?
No one knows, Hays is responsible for zone defense.
4. The Cardinals Fitzgerald might belong in this group, have not viewed him enough.

I know how jerry rice and those with similar styles got open, you could see their patters, but these old guys (1-3)
How did they do that?
Yes, there have been some great WRs in the NFL. I remember all those "old guys" - although, of course, they all played on teams that were "the enemy" of the ones I was rooting for, LOL.

There was also the great Steve Largent of the Seattle Seahawks, who was always a threat to the 49ers' divisional hopes.

Green Bay had Sterling Sharpe, who I think would have eventually been elected to the Hall of Fame had his career not gotten cut short by that neck injury.

Larry Fitzgerald is now a free agent, released by his request by the AZ Cardinals. He has played for 17 years and has still not committed to returning to football. It's probable the events over the past year have contributed to this decision. In one sense it's a shame; he is a great WR and a joy to watch, but 17 years......that's a long time to be giving up one's body week after week, knowing that in 20 or 30 yrs all those injuries are going to catch up with you.

Another great WR still active but almost hidden from view is Julio Jones, a star for years with Atlanta. When the new mgmt took over in 2021 a dispute led to his demand to be traded, which he was - to the Titans. Unfortunately he has been hampered by a recurring hamstring injury, so the team plans for a high-powered passing offense with a duo of Jones and AJ Brown hasn't happened. Fortunately, RB Derrick Henry seems to be motoring the Titans along just fine by himself!

I'm glad I was able to watch Jerry Rice every week throughout his career. Truly one of the greatest to ever play the position, and offensive genius Bill Walsh took full advantage of his stunning YAC statistics. In fact, it's said that the NFL started tracking YAC because of Jerry Rice. No other WR even comes close to his YAC average.

There's an NFL documentary on Rice, and one of the people interviewed is ex-QB Steve Bono. He said if people thought Rice was amazing when watching him every weekend, they should have seen him every day in practice, as Bono did. He said Walsh, who was a perfectionist in timed routes, would insist upon the players practicing for hours on each route.

"I watched Montana throw to Rice in practice for three hours on one day, and the next for almost two hours. The ball never touched the ground. Not once. Jerry caught it every single time, full speed."

Back