2022 flowers & garden

Here in horticultural zone 4, the colorful crocuses are finally in full bloom!
I'm very glad I can see them, bright and closeby!:giggle:

If I could still plant seedlings, they would have to wait longer!
And zinnia seeds would have to wait at least another 6 weeks.
Worth waiting for, though! 🌸🌼🌸🌼

Wild Cheery trees are blooming here.

cherry-00016%20northeastwildlife.jpg

I love the shamrock plants, @Trila :love:
I think they are Oxalis, with those gentle fragile little blossoms;

and I can see in your picture, those special leaf groupings of theirs that do, as I remember,
appear to be small butterfly wings, in sets of 3 butterflies each! ;):D:giggle::LOL:😁
@Kaila
Yes! You described them beautifully! I have small groupings of them everywhere. Most are growing in the walking trail....I always stop to look at them, then walk around them. They are so delicate and pretty! Thanks for giving me their real name!

When I haven't been at work, I've spent almost all my time in the garden (or the garden centers!). Oh, my, it's starting to look so pretty.

Yesterday there was a new plant that I'd never heard of before called a ground orchid. Yup. The blooms aren't big like an orchid, rather little blooms but lots of them. Three of them followed me home along with Persian shield, pentas, and a whole bunch of cosmos that came from the clearance section. DD and I call it "Clarence". We visit Clarence whenever we're out and about. Every store, not just garden centers, has Clarence sections. Love Clarence!

Tomorrow? Back in the garden, after yet another trip to the garden centers, of course. Never. Enough. Flowers. Well...not as long as there's still space to plant them anyway.

Last edited:
And furthermore, there are things waiting to be done in the garden. I just spied a dead branch on a tree that needs to be lopped off. And a freesia plant that needs a little adjustment in its pot. The Persian shield that I planted yesterday is too close to the other flowers that were planted at the same time.

When we came home the other day, loaded up with new plants, our next door neighbor was out and wanted to know where they were all going to go. Why, in the garden of course! She said there's no more room. What? As long as there's a bare spot, there's room. And then she said--get this--"You don't need more flowers. The view from my favorite chair is perfect." What's this need stuff? And I don't get to sit in her favorite chair! What's that all about? She just doesn't have any imagination ;)

Wish DD would get up and get moving so we can get to the garden centers to see if there's anything that wants to follow me home this morning.

Gotta don my gardening duds and get a wiggle on. The day is already half over!

Yesterday there was a new plant that I'd never heard of before called a ground orchid. Yup. The blooms aren't big like an orchid, rather little blooms but lots of them. Three of them followed me home along with Persian shield, pentas, and a whole bunch of cosmos that came from the clearance section. DD and I call it "Clarence". We visit Clarence whenever we're out and about. Every store, not just garden centers, has Clarence sections. Love Clarence!
That ground orchid sounds great to me. I haven't heard of it before, either.:D
I am Very glad you rescued the cosmos from Clarence!:LOL:
And what could possibly be bad about any cosmos?:unsure:
Answer: Nothing!😁

Are they the tall type, or shorter ones? Mixed colors or one color?
Any cosmos are always cheerful.

@Kaila The ground orchid is a perennial. Woot woot!

Some of the cosmos are the shorter ones, some the tall ones, and they're mixed colors planted in among mostly bright pink and bright purple flowers. The bright pink are guara, which is finally starting to grow again, and the bright purple are Mexican petunias, which is so s l o w to get started in the spring. So for right now there's color in spite of the late bloomers.

Another alstromeria and a very large pot of columbine came home with us. The alstromeria is a sort of salmon color. The columbine is four separate plants, all in bloom, and in pale pink, a sort of muted red, lavender and light blue, but all together in the same big pot. I think I'm going to leave it in its original home.

Also got a couple of white pentas to break up the pinks/purples that are already in. And the Persian shield got moved.

Because I already had a really big pot in the garden with nothing in it (can you even believe it??), I got another freesia. The one I already had joined the new one in that same big pot with a diamond frost just for something else interesting. The freesia plants both have pink, yellow and purple blooms.

There's still $14 and change left on the gift card, but DD rolled her eyes when I "suggested" finding something else in the center to use it up... She's way past the eye-rollage age:rolleyes: by about 35 years so I figured I wouldn't push it:ROFLMAO:

The neighbor hopes we left something for her and the rest of the city :LOL:

Oh. I did manage to also lop the dead branches. And I pulled weeds in the bed where the hydrangeas and the peonies live. BTW, the peonies are probably going to bloom this week. Yippee.

It might be that DD and I visit the garden centers this afternoon just in case there are plants that are looking for new homes.

Edited to add that the ground orchids have a flower that's looks exactly like the blooms on spiderwort. Exactly. The leaves are different. Spiderwort leaves are long and narrow; ground orchid leaves are long and wide.

Gonna check with the Master Gardener, Dr. Google, to see if they're in the same family.

Edited to add that the ground orchids have a flower that's looks exactly like the blooms on spiderwort. Exactly. The leaves are different. Spiderwort leaves are long and narrow; ground orchi
I wondered about that when I looked up ground orchids. Thought they might be similar to Spiderwort.
Also made me think of what we call a Walking Iris. But I treat my Walking Iris as an indoor house plant.

I wondered about that when I looked up ground orchids. Thought they might be similar to Spiderwort.
Also made me think of what we call a Walking Iris. But I treat my Walking Iris as an indoor house plant.
Had to check with the horticulturist extrordinaire, Dr. Google, about walking iris. I'd never heard of it. The blooms are a tad different that spiderwort or ground orchid but really pretty. Dr. Google says it's in the orchid family.

I love peonies, too @Trila :love:(y)

Mine are not near blooming yet, but are growing their early stems. It's fun to watch them develop!

I don't know what those Spring-flowering bulbs are, that you have.:unsure: They must be tiny bulbs, though. Sweet little blooms on them!

Back