All The Live long Day...."Now departing on Track Two"!

Well done, @hellomimi and @FastTrax. I post railroad pictures, cartoons, music, poems, history as well as videos. My concern is that a flood of videos all at once seems to derail things a bit. Feel free to post, just slow the pace some, so folks can spend time digesting them. Thanks for your interest & expertise, but I don't want to see this thread become a "bullet" train!;)

Last edited:
Meanderer please accept my sincerest apologies for misleading another member about your rules and more so derailing a thread is a serious violation of some sites TOS and it will not happen again. You have my word on that. Thanks for the warning. GOD bless.

My apologies to @Meanderer and @FastTrax. I didn't realize who started this thread.
Enjoy your weekend!

Please hellomimi you do not have to apologize to me for anything. I am just a member here, not a moderator or administrator but like you just a member hopefully in good standing. Feel free to apologize to the OP if you see fit. Be blessed and again I apologize if I mislead you in any way shape or form about posting on the OP's personal thread. And here I thought I was doing a good thing, strange.

Last edited:
Meanderer please accept my sincerest apologies for misleading another member about your rules and more so derailing a thread is a serious violation of some sites TOS and it will not happen again. You have my word on that. Thanks for the warning. GOD bless.
@FastTrax , my friend, I welcome any and all to post in this thread, I used the term "derail" only in the railroad way. I am only a member here as well. There were just too many posts all at once. I'm not angry.;)

Last edited:
Please hellomimi you do not have to apologize to me for anything. I am just a member here, not a moderator or administrator but like you just a member hopefully in good standing. Feel free to apologize to the OP if you see fit. Be blessed and again I apologize if I mislead you in any way shape or form about posting on the OP's personal thread. And here I thought I was doing a good thing, strange.
So many posts at once caught me off guard. They were a little too much of a good thing. No apology needed.

fe5242d043144b278b13f2ba31dd8f57.jpg

I remember, not well-but I remember, three spindly-legged boys slipping the
bounds of our parents arriving where a hugh black coal eating beast set breathing fire.
We could not see the fire, but we knew it breathed fire as steam came from it's
inside parts, pushed out above the wheels.
A monster, impervious to all things. It was paused now, resting-but any moment
it would awaken and go where it choose.

We dared each other to get closer, none did.

That was 1945-46, I remember, can't recall the other two boys, of why we were
at the train station. I recall the parents arriving, grapping us, giving us a thumping, then dragging us away. (I was four or five)

I had never realized how limited the vision was for the engineers of the train.
It really is not big deal as they only need to see straight ahead. (?)

Watching the people cars get demolished makes you wonder: 'What were they thinking.' The wonder is that many of these people survive.

That must be a topic of grave concern to engineers.
I watched the collusion until my belly got all 'scrunched up.'

I have no idea of how the RR Crossings could be made safer in urban areas.
People are going to race the engine-don't know, guess it is human nature.

Have a comment on the rural RR Crossings, post later.

Middleton, The World’s Oldest Operating Railway
middleton-railway-1.jpg
The Middleton Railway in Leeds has been chugging along for the past 260 years, longer than any other railways in the world. It was established by an Act of Parliament in 1758 to transport coal from the collieries of Middleton to the factories of Leeds. At that time, rails were made of wood and although steam engines were being used in industries to drive blast furnaces and pump water from mines, nobody had incorporated one on wheels yet.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2020/08/middleton-worlds-oldest-operating.html

The Wuppertaler Schwebebahn Railway is a suspension railway in Wuppertal, Germany. It's the oldest electric elevated railway with hanging cars in the world, and began operation in 1901.

This video from 1902 has an uncanny surreal feel to it, blending together the past and the future. It was recently enhanced and upgraded by the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I found it to be mesmerizing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Schwebebahn

3 doors down - Train
Scenes from the movie "Unstoppable" that has been inspired by true events.

Back