Any musicians on the forum?

More than you might expect. I (apparently) borrow as much as I can from any source, and classical music contains the foundations of so much of the popular music that shows up today. Look at Rachmaninoff's influence in popular, and you can find parallels in most other composers as well. While experimenting with MuseScore, I had just composed my first short ditty to get grounded on notation and start back down the path to composing, and see what it can do to help me. Especially to see if tracks can be imported into my DAW. I sent the link to my best friend, and he said it reminded him of Bach!

Hmm. I'm basically a guitarist. Bach?? How did that stuff get in there???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll890aryj22m9wr/RoseWoodDreams.mp3?dl=0
Funny you mention Bach... a lot of modern day composers "borrow" from him! Had it not been for 15th 16th and 17th century mathematicians finding better ways to calculate the 12th root of two, Bach would not have been able to write so beautifully and successfully in every key. Being able to divide the octave into 12 equal intervals is a work of genius and art :)

"2 oratorios; 4 masses; 6 motets; psalm cantatas; secular cantatas; 3 keyboard sonatas, 1 keyboard concerto; and 1 symphony.

Several of her pieces have been published in recent years. The three keyboard sonatas (in E Major, G Major and A Major) are available through Hildegard Publishing. Many works are also available through Furore-Verlag, a German publisher that specializes in works by women composers. They offer many first publications, including: the Keyboard Concerto in A; Dixit Dominus for Soli, Choir and Orchestra; In Exitu Israel de Agypto, Psalm for Soli, Choir and Orchestra; Laudate Pueri Dominum, Psalm 112, for SATB choir and orchestra; the Fourth Mass."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianna_Martines

I assume the bold above is this piece? It is absolutely enchanting. Love it and will share it with my Grandson post hast! Thank You.

I put this one on MP3.com also in the "Latin" area. It reached the top 20 and stayed there for a real long time. What I thought people might like they didn't. Taste is always a fascinating sense. It is boundless. Now I am finished sharing for awhile, let's hear some your all's music. :)

https://audiomack.com/paco-dennis/song/track-12
This song has more of a definite style of genre in my opinion. It sounds very Latin American .

I like the xylophone and muted trumpet sounds.
Very good Paco Dennis

Ok, one more thing then I will stop. :)
At some point in our conversations here I thought of

John Mclaughlin mahavishnu Orchestra​

I saw them play at Winterland in SF in 1970. It was packed..over 3000 people....WILD!!!

More than you might expect. I (apparently) borrow as much as I can from any source, and classical music contains the foundations of so much of the popular music that shows up today. Look at Rachmaninoff's influence in popular, and you can find parallels in most other composers as well. While experimenting with MuseScore, I had just composed my first short ditty to get grounded on notation and start back down the path to composing, and see what it can do to help me. Especially to see if tracks can be imported into my DAW. I sent the link to my best friend, and he said it reminded him of Bach!

Hmm. I'm basically a guitarist. Bach?? How did that stuff get in there???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll890aryj22m9wr/RoseWoodDreams.mp3?dl=0
Interesting music. Parts of it remind me of a soundtrack for a 1960s spy movie, but then the flute is very melodic.

Tony

I put this one on MP3.com also in the "Latin" area. It reached the top 20 and stayed there for a real long time. What I thought people might like they didn't. Taste is always a fascinating sense. It is boundless. Now I am finished sharing for awhile, let's hear some your all's music. :)

https://audiomack.com/paco-dennis/song/track-12
Definitely has that Latin feel. It brings to mind pictures of Miami with that urban Latin sensibility to it.

Did you create all these parts manually or did you use one of those arranger type keyboards or software? Either way, you seem to have a good ear for putting music tracks together. :cool:

I just checked in here and see a lot of messages since I was last in here. We are preparing to spend the better part of the week in Rochester at the Mayo Clinic for my wife. Maybe when we get home I can record something on my guitar. But it may not be this week. I don't typically record my playing since I do it for my own enjoyment. I have not played out in a number of years and decided I am not really interested in getting my music out there anymore. Some years ago I did donate a track to a compilation CD for a forum I was participating in, but that was probably the last time I did anything like that other than a few private youtube videos as part of an email discussion on arranging for solo guitar. So I don't really have anything to offer right now.

Most folks seem to expect a person with an acoustic guitar to sing. Personally, there are a lot of folks I have heard that I wish wouldn't do that. I feel I am doing the world a favor by abstaining since I have no interest in developing my voice which really is another instrument that deserves the respect as a craft that any other instrument deserves. Anyway, people tend to get bored quickly with solo fingerstyle guitar, so I don't force it on anybody. Fortunately, I enjoy it for myself and my wife.

Tony

Last edited:
Some guys across the way and up the hill have been playing all day and they sound great. They get together every few weekends. I got to thinking they are probably hurting for gigs these "daze" so they're just letting it all hang out. (y)

Definitely has that Latin feel. It brings to mind pictures of Miami with that urban Latin sensibility to it.

Did you create all these parts manually or did you use one of those arranger type keyboards or software? Either way, you seem to have a good ear for putting music tracks together. :cool:

I just checked in here and see a lot of messages since I was last in here. We are preparing to spend the better part of the week in Rochester at the Mayo Clinic for my wife. Maybe when we get home I can record something on my guitar. But it may not be this week. I don't typically record my playing since I do it for my own enjoyment. I have not played out in a number of years and decided I am not really interested in getting my music out there anymore. Some years ago I did donate a track to a compilation CD for a forum I was participating in, but that was probably the last time I did anything like that other than a few private youtube videos as part of an email discussion on arranging for solo guitar. So I don't really have anything to offer right now.

Most folks seem to expect a person with an acoustic guitar to sing. Personally, there are a lot of folks I have heard that I wish wouldn't do that. I feel I am doing the world a favor by abstaining since I have no interest in developing my voice which really is another instrument that deserves the respect as a craft that any other instrument deserves. Anyway, people tend to get bored quickly with solo fingerstyle guitar, so I don't force it on anybody. Fortunately, I enjoy it for myself and my wife.

Tony
Good luck in Rochester! My wishes are for everything going well for you both.
Regarding singing, uh, yeah. My wife thinks my singing is good. Which to me, shows that love is not only blind...it can be a bit deaf, too!!

I just checked in here and see a lot of messages since I was last in here. We are preparing to spend the better part of the week in Rochester at the Mayo Clinic for my wife. Maybe when we get home I can record something on my guitar. But it may not be this week.

On the guitar solo I used a feature in Jazz++ sequencer called "Melody Maker". It has several parameters so you use your math skills and apply them to want your imagining. Sometimes it comes out "believable", other times it sounds very "mechanical." The trumpet solo is manual ( midi guitar ). Listen closely and you can hear double notes occasionally. Back then the pickup and receiver and computer made recording the midi input very glitchy. I got tired of deleting all the glitches sometimes and just left them in. The Vibes are manual. My last pickup running on Win 7 and a fast computer produced hardly any glitches. I was fascinated by having a computer translate parameters. The first software I used back then was called "Koan". It was a completely a computer generated music program, and quite popular way back when.

My best to you and your wife.

I sure hope you record something and share it. Audio recording can be done using Windows or Mac built in Recorder, or an Audio software recording program. "Audacity" is free and a very good program for that. By any means I would like to hear from anyone , playing anything, "good or bad" ( I don't pony to that view...music is in everyones heart and is very healthy to express.) I also understand those who would rather not share. The way I look at life now is not the same as when I was middle aged and still was concerned about "my" image. That has almost disappeared now. We deserve the time now to feel free to be spontaneous and compassionate. ( or cantankerous and moody ) :)

Yes... I am a musician ... I sing classical music, I am a classical pianist and I play the flute... not a lot of appreciation for that sort of thing on here, I'm afraid :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I sent the video to my Daughter ( Tamara ) to show my Grandson (Arthur 14) here is her reply.

"Oh, that’s so cool!! I will for sure share- for some reason, he just loves that classical! ❤️❤️ Thank you for thinking of him."

To be honest, I don't think most musicians should become recording engineers. It's one thing, for example, to sit down and play the ivories and have your ears bathed in wonderful harmonics. It's another thing entirely to assemble all the parts of a piano to make it playable. One path is pure joy, and the other is hard work (which can lead to the death of joy)!! Kudos to your path; you are already well beyond what most people will ever accomplish, and you should be proud that you have attained a level of producing work you like. That to me, is absolutely huge. (y)
I absolutely agree with you NewRetire. You wrote: "I don't think most musicians should become recording engineers." In fact, I was going to mention that exact point in my reply.
@tbeltrans
Thank you both so much for your wonderful, inspiring remarks❣️

To be honest, I don't think most musicians should become recording engineers. It's one thing, for example, to sit down and play the ivories and have your ears bathed in wonderful harmonics. It's another thing entirely to assemble all the parts of a piano to make it playable. One path is pure joy, and the other is hard work (which can lead to the death of joy)!! Kudos to your path; you are already well beyond what most people will ever accomplish, and you should be proud that you have attained a level of producing work you like. That to me, is absolutely huge. (y)
This is really well said. It’s something I’d been trying to express yet didn’t. Somehow I Missed it.
Not long ago I was learning to record so I could share my music. It got so frustrating that I wasn’t enjoying playing like I used to so I can certainly relate to this. Then there’s storing stuff in iCloud, remembering passwords etc. I had some nice recording I was quite happy wish which I wish I had shared but didn’t and deleted them since I started getting charged a monthly fee. I’m not computer savvy enough to do the musical software route but am impressed with those who do successfully.

This is really well said. It’s something I’d been trying to express yet didn’t. Somehow I Missed it.
Not long ago I was learning to record so I could share my music. It got so frustrating that I wasn’t enjoying playing like I used to so I can certainly relate to this. Then there’s storing stuff in iCloud, remembering passwords etc. I had some nice recording I was quite happy wish which I wish I had shared but didn’t and deleted them since I started getting charged a monthly fee. I’m not computer savvy enough to do the musical software route but am impressed with those who do successfully.
This pretty much what I said earlier. The difference was that I listed some of the skills needed to make a decent recording.

Of course, if you are doing the whole thing using midi and VST instrument plugins, then all the skills involved in using mics to record real instruments don't apply because you can just export directly to MP3.

Most of my interest in music involves playing guitar. I tried the computer route, but it just didn't feel like making music to me the way playing a real instrument does.

Tony

It is probably just me, but I also find a 'problematic' aspect of listening to music which relates to musicians, vs non-musicians. I think deep down, non-musicians tend to listen to music at completely different levels than musicians do. The 'by-ear' part of me tears apart every song I hear, and breaks it down into parts; bass-lines, rhythm sections, leads, instruments, voices and pitches/harmonics, chords, etc. It always has, and I can't seem to stop it. There is definitely a part of me that wishes I could just hear music without analyzing it, but there are only three cases I know of where I can step out of my brain and enjoy. The first is when I am dog tired; the second is when I have had a glass of wine or two, and the third is when I am experiencing some completely new kind of music (experimental music, for example) and I can't guess where the composition is going!. In the last case, I just focus harder on the music and try to make sense out of it. In case two, the wine seems to temper my brain's analytic OCD, and allows music to just flow naturally without trying to anticipate where the next note is going to come from. It's all good, though, and I love being immersed in it.

Here's the SoundCloud link for two of my unreleased songs, copyrighted a couple of decades ago. Just A Little Timpani, which is Jazzy with a dash of Hip Hop, was done without using the rhythm section, so I'm playing all the instruments and hand claps as well as doing the "scratching". The one sound the Clavinova doesn't do well is tenor sax, so I've asked a sax player friend of mine if he will play on this track for me after he finishes his project. I intend to lengthen the song. This version was not engineered. I used the rhythm section on Martha's Back! I am playing the piano, horns, strings and digital choir parts. The song has a Baptist Church Gospel feel.
@Pecos @Keesha @Shalimar @MarciKS @Gaer
I like it a lot.

I sent the video to my Daughter ( Tamara ) to show my Grandson (Arthur 14) here is her reply.

"Oh, that’s so cool!! I will for sure share- for some reason, he just loves that classical! ❤️❤️ Thank you for thinking of him."

That’s wonderful Paco Dennis. I am so pleased! This young Viennese pianist Judith Engel, 28 years old and making quite a name for herself in the classical world. Here’s a clip of her playing Marianna’s Sonata in g major. I am trying to learn this piece…it’s been a year now…wish me luck…mind you.. with all the luck in the world it won’t sound like Judith’s performance…

🌺🌸

And I definitely appreciate classical.
I was raised with classical music since my father played Chopin and Mozart on the piano. I’ve done a few operettas in school which consisted of classical music.
This pretty much what I said earlier. The difference was that I listed some of the skills needed to make a decent recording.

Of course, if you are doing the whole thing using midi and VST instrument plugins, then all the skills involved in using mics to record real instruments don't apply because you can just export directly to MP3.

Most of my interest in music involves playing guitar. I tried the computer route, but it just didn't feel like making music to me the way playing a real instrument does.

Tony
The biggest difference is that I’m actually learning to record my saxophone playing, not guitar chords or piano background. I bought an iPad but I didn’t want all my systems synced up together and couldn’t seem to stop it from doing so. Plus I couldn’t find a website to store my songs for free. I don’t want to pay $20 a month to store songs. I’d rather keep them on a personal computer so until I figure all that out I’m not trying anything.

That’s wonderful Paco Dennis. I am so pleased! This young Viennese pianist Judith Engel, 28 years old and making quite a name for herself in the classical world. Here’s a clip of her playing Marianna’s Sonata in g major. I am trying to learn this piece…it’s been a year now…wish me luck…mind you.. with all the luck in the world it won’t sound like Judith’s performance…
WOW! I loved it. Both the piece and Judith's ability and grace playing it.

I watched a video recently
Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 e-minor (Olga Scheps live)

It blew my mind. :) I feel like the great female pianists have a slightly deeper sensivity and flowingness to their playing than their male equals. Maybe it is my male love of beauty for the opposite sex. Ha! The beauty of Chopin's composition, the elegance of the orchestra's playing, and the body language of Olga gave me the first impression. Recently I have listened to many female classical pianists and I still like them better than when a male plays the same piece. Go figure. :)

WOW! I loved it. Both the piece and Judith's ability and grace playing it.

I watched a video recently
Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 e-minor (Olga Scheps live)

It blew my mind. :) I feel like the great female pianists have a slightly deeper sensivity and flowingness to their playing than their male equals. Maybe it is my male love of beauty for the opposite sex. Ha! The beauty of Chopin's composition, the elegance of the orchestra's playing, and the body language of Olga gave me the first impression. Recently I have listened to many female classical pianists and I still like them better than when a male plays the same piece. Go figure. :)

🌷🌷What can I say... could it be because female pianists are not worried about showing a lot of emotion. Having said that, I have seen some male pianists tear up during their performances...I love that, it shows such affinity with the music.

Fur Elise was the very first piece I learnt as a very young pianist, thanks for the video 🌷🌷

🌷🌷What can I say... could it be because female pianists are not worried about showing a lot of emotion. Having said that, I have seen some male pianists tear up during their performances...I love that, it shows such affinity with the music.

Fur Elise was the very first piece I learnt as a very young pianist, thanks for the video 🌷🌷
Haha! Fur Elise was one the first things I learned on guitar, too!!

Haha! Fur Elise was one the first things I learned on guitar, too!!
Coincidence? Chance? Meaningful how/why?

In the past six months I keep bumping into my future, and I see this happening here. I have given a name for this evolutionary leap :

Coincidental Synchronicity
😍😊☺️☝️👫🐦🐃🌲
🌾🌎🌍🌏🔥💧🪵🌤️

Back