Are You Tired of Any TV Commercials?

I have always hated commercials so 16 years ago I "cut the cable" & have never looked back. Now we buy good shows like Gunsmoke, Streets of San Francisco & Rifleman that do not have any commercials. We also watch ROKU TV where we subscribe to "BritBox" which is British, has no commercials but has subtitles. It only costs $60 US/year. I hate commerical TV. Sometimes, I put a TV on in a motel & can't believe the garbage that people actually pay money to watch. My goodness!

I don't like the Liberty Insurance ads with 'Doug and Emu',truly stupid
Another one is for Applebees restaurant chain using songs from the 70's-80's,.It doesn't make want to go there any time soon

I watch tv all day--I know, I've got to do some other stuff one of these days but the energy is not there yet.

Anyhow, I see commercials all day and am so tired of most of the commercials. The ones I'm especially sick of:

Roundup and all the Law firms Who Want to Sue

Colonial Penn

All the Progressive Insurance commercials

And all of the Medicare Supplement Insurance commercials!

Over and over again drives me crazy!

How about you?

ALL OF THEM!!

Thanks for reminding me about Acorn. I did subscribe to them for a while and let it go because I was caught up in several Netflix and Prime series. But Acorn does have some very good shows, especially for those who, like me, enjoy British programming. One series I loved on Acorn was a charming series called The Detectorists. It's about the quirky types who are fanatic about walking about the local countryside with metal detectors, looking for ancient Roman coins. It's very funny, and absolutely delightful. Is that one still on Acorn?

On Netflix, I am currently enjoying Better Call Saul for the second time around. Just finished The Crown. I don't mind rewatching a series if I previously enjoyed it. They also have some great classic movies, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Shindler's List.

On Prime, I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, also Victoria.

We are both "flippers". Love to watch a couple different movies or programs at a time and when a commercial comes on, flip to see if they have them "sinc'd" or not...lol.

Its just become a fun game to us to "game the commercial system" if we can. With hub its usually professional poker and ball games. Funny what you learn doing that.

Haven't tried either of them. I should download Acorn tv, is it free?

Acorn TV isn't free, but it is quite a bit cheaper than Netflix. I have both Acorn and Netflix, and the two of them together cost less than Netflix. AND I think both Acorn and Britbox have a free trial period so you could try them out.

If you have a Roku you can also watch free Youtube movies and programs by casting them to your TV. You just have to link them up. I couldn't make this work through Firefox, but it works just dandy through Chrome.

Cannot stand the longgggg drug commercials, showing people loving life while in the background they are telling you it may cause cancer, blindness, etc, I hate fast food commercials and Dr. Ho commercials. I never did understand it when it is said that millions tune into the Superbowl just to see the new commercials!

Cannot stand the longgggg drug commercials, showing people loving life while in the background they are telling you it may cause cancer, blindness, etc, I hate fast food commercials and Dr. Ho commercials. I never did understand it when it is said that millions tune into the Superbowl just to see the new commercials!

Same here! It's never made any sense to me either. And people talk about them the next day, lol. They ask me about this or that commercial and they get a blank stare.

Also the half-time "show": I never EVER watch it; for me it's a time to do something else til the game comes back on. It's all kid-stuff anyway.

I have to confess that I always look forward to seeing Mrs. Limu Emu and the Chantix cold turkey!
I like the Mrs. Emu one too! I really enjoy the Chantix turkey commercials, they come out with new ones all the time, just saw a new one today. I like the coloring of the turkey and they way he's dressed and the outdoorsey things he does.

I mostly get tired of the local car dealers, law firms, and furniture stores. Car dealer commercials are LOUD :mad:, and one of the furniture stores here SHOUTS about a sale that apparently never ends.🙄😠

I long ago got tired of the prescription drug commercials...they go on and on and on ...zzz 🙄

Last edited:
They don't bother me, during commercials I usually get up to use the bathroom or get coffee or do something else. The only one I CANNOT stand is the one of the guy sitting in a recliner and this black oozy liquid starts coming up and engulfs him. I look away or leave, it's so creepy. I still don't know what the commercial is about. :sick:

They don't bother me, during commercials I usually get up to use the bathroom or get coffee or do something else. The only one I CANNOT stand is the one of the guy sitting in a recliner and this black oozy liquid starts coming up and engulfs him. I look away or leave, it's so creepy. I still don't know what the commercial is about. :sick:

That reminds me: How many of you see commercials, and when they're over with you have no idea what they were advertising? This happens to me, and to my old buddies also.

I have to assume it's some kinda generational thing.

Thanks for reminding me about Acorn. I did subscribe to them for a while and let it go because I was caught up in several Netflix and Prime series. But Acorn does have some very good shows, especially for those who, like me, enjoy British programming. One series I loved on Acorn was a charming series called The Detectorists. It's about the quirky types who are fanatic about walking about the local countryside with metal detectors, looking for ancient Roman coins. It's very funny, and absolutely delightful. Is that one still on Acorn?

On Netflix, I am currently enjoying Better Call Saul for the second time around. Just finished The Crown. I don't mind rewatching a series if I previously enjoyed it. They also have some great classic movies, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Shindler's List.

On Prime, I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, also Victoria.
Yes, I believe that the Detectorists is still on. We have stopped Acorn & now are enjoying "BritBox" for the same price.

Those drug commercials are so ridiculous that it's hard to believe anybody takes them seriously. But I guess it must pay off, or they wouldn't keep broadcasting them.

One thing that always cracks me up is the (mandatory) recital of the long list of possible side effects, sometimes including death.

The second thing is that they always squeeze "Call your doctor" in there somewhere. If everybody called their doctor every time this is suggested, the poor doctors would have zero time left to actually see patients!

There is one that I just couldn't stomach. It was for a clothes detergent. It was about a 'stay-at-home' father, who had trouble getting his little girl to have her princess dress washed. She just about lived in it. The ad closes with pics of the dad wearing a pot tied to his head. I can't tell you how many times my dad wore a pot tied to his head, when he played games with me. GAG!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm OK with commercials. They remind me of the old days when all TV channels had commercials. Time to grab a drink, go to the bathroom, etc. The only ones I HATE are the John Cena Skyy commercials (loud whispering) or the Luke Wilson Colgate commercials (loud ice-crunching). I do not have misophonia; they are simply obnoxious commercials.

What a lot of people don't realize is that advertising is a strong form of brain washing. You keep watching those stupid commercials but they do become imprinted on your brain. If you don't believe me, then tell me how come I can remember advertise the following after 1/2 century:
1. "Double Your Pleasure, double your fun, with Double Mint, Double Mint, Double Mint gum."
2. Smoke DuMaurier, a real smoking pleasure. Smoke DuMaurier a cigarette of good taste. A real smoking pleasure with the best filter yet."
3. Players & pleasure, go together. Have a Players & you'll have your pleasure.
If the truth be know, I cut cable TV 16 years ago & I have never looked back. I don't need to be brain-washed.

If I was a doctor, I'd be really angry at those drug ads that say "Talk to your doctor about adding _______to the drugs you're already taking."
Why would you have to tell your doctor what drugs to give you? Wouldn't he already know if you need more drugs?

I'm OK with commercials. They remind me of the old days when all TV channels had commercials. Time to grab a drink, go to the bathroom, etc. The only ones I HATE are the John Cena Skyy commercials (loud whispering) or the Luke Wilson Colgate commercials (loud ice-crunching). I do not have misophonia; they are simply obnoxious commercials.

It seems that years ago, commercials were a wash. To me some were bland, some were clever, and some were cute -- but none were offensive.

Today, at least half of them are offensive. Repeating the phone number a zillion times at the end, speeding up the disclaimer to ridiculous levels, etc. NOT TO MENTION that the stupid (especially radio) stations only play like four different commercials and they play them AT EVERY BREAK.

I can't tell you how many times I flip the channel on the radio every day because of the commercials (I have it on all day while I'm working).

There are still some neat ones though. Most recently there is a local car dealer ad and the jingle they have is really pleasant and nice. I love hearing it every time it comes on.

Too bad so many companies are too stupid to figure all this out. Apparently the people responsible for putting commercials on do not see it from OUR perspective.

It seems that years ago, commercials were a wash. To me some were bland, some were clever, and some were cute -- but none were offensive.

Today, at least half of them are offensive. Repeating the phone number a zillion times at the end, speeding up the disclaimer to ridiculous levels, etc. NOT TO MENTION that the stupid (especially radio) stations only play like four different commercials and they play them AT EVERY BREAK.

I can't tell you how many times I flip the channel on the radio every day because of the commercials (I have it on all day while I'm working).

There are still some neat ones though. Most recently there is a local car dealer ad and the jingle they have is really pleasant and nice. I love hearing it every time it comes on.

Too bad so many companies are too stupid to figure all this out.
Agreed 100%!!(y)

Agreed 100%!!(y)

Ha, while looking at your post, one of my fav TV commercials came on -- the one for Disarono Italian liqueur. The visuals and the music are first class.

They usually only play them during the holiday season, and unfortunately for them, last year they played it ALL THE TIME, several times per hour. It was too much, and soured me on something that I originally liked.

They've just started them again in the past week or so; we'll see if they end up cutting their own throats like they did last year.

I don’t usually pay attention to commercials but, the Medicare commercials are driving me crazy, the lies these insurance companies tell trying to get seniors to change their plans is disgusting!

Back