Are You Tired of Any TV Commercials?

Think they're not making good commercials like they used to. When I was first married, in the late 60's, had a friend with a 4 or 5 yr old child that would come to visit me with a VCR tape. When the kid started to act up, she'd put the tape in our machine and play it...it was a composite of funny commercials and the child would set and stare at the screen and laugh and laugh for like half an hour. I ask her where she got it and she said she'd made it up to keep the kiddo amused.

Now those were the good old days...not much difference between a 4 yr old and a 40 yr old...lol.

Think they're not making good commercials like they used to. When I was first married, in the late 60's, had a friend with a 4 or 5 yr old child that would come to visit me with a VCR tape. When the kid started to act up, she'd put the tape in our machine and play it...it was a composite of funny commercials and the child would set and stare at the screen and laugh and laugh for like half an hour. I ask her where she got it and she said she'd made it up to keep the kiddo amused.

Now those were the good old days...not much difference between a 4 yr old and a 40 yr old...lol.

If you had a VCR in the late '60s, you must have invented the first one. A guy I knew bought one when they were quite new (1980?) and he paid $2,000 for it. I bought a Zenith in 1984 and by then they were down to $500. I still have it, lol.

If you had a VCR in the late '60s, you must have invented the first one. A guy I knew bought one when they were quite new (1980?) and he paid $2,000 for it. I bought a Zenith in 1984 and by then they were down to $500. I still have it, lol.
I remember my dad buying a VCR (or beta) for my sickly grandma years and years and years ago. It was huge, but oh so cool back in the day.

I remember my dad buying a VCR (or beta) for my sickly grandma years and years and years ago. It was huge, but oh so cool back in the day.

You're not kidding they were cool!

I had a reel-to-reel audio recorder in the '60s at home and an 8-track in the first few cars I had, then cassettes, then the ability to tape TV shows put it at a whole other level. It was exciting for sure.

I made a whole library in the '80s of movies and TV shows, with all the commercials paused. I still have the box somewhere, not that it matters now.

I don't like those medical ads for pills and products. They start off showing people, who look like hell. Ya know, the ones you will be yelling "Clear" over. They pop a pill, or breath some oxygen, and they are off playing golf, shopping, smiling, and laughing. I do like some of the insurance commercials the first time. But, when they're on 12 times in an hour, they kind of loose their freshness. And all Medicare supplement commercials makers should burn in hell.

Last edited:
I don't like those medical ads for pills and products. They start off showing people, who look like hell. Ya know, the ones you will be yelling "Clear" over. They pop a pill, or breath some oxygen, and they are off playing golf, shopping, smiling, and laughing. I do like some of the insurance commercials the first time. But, when they're on 12 times in an hour, they kind of loose their freshness. And all Medicare supplement commercials makers should burn in hell.

Agree with everything. :cool:

I watch tv all day--I know, I've got to do some other stuff one of these days but the energy is not there yet.

Anyhow, I see commercials all day and am so tired of most of the commercials. The ones I'm especially sick of:

Roundup and all the Law firms Who Want to Sue

Colonial Penn

All the Progressive Insurance commercials

And all of the Medicare Supplement Insurance commercials!

Over and over again drives me crazy!

How about you?
We canceled cable for an antenna.We're saving $100.00 a month just so we
can watch hours of medicare & car warranty commercials. I may dig out our old radio.

"hubs were engineers." What does that mean?

That article was interesting, if dated. Says 2004/2016 at the very bottom.
That means that the husbands were engineers.

You will pick up on all the little phrases around here over time, and it won't seem like a foreign language anymore. :)

Tony

I work in my basement shop all day and have the TV on to keep me company. Usually, I set it for Turner classic movies or sometimes, FETV. FETV is a channel that plays old shows exclusively: The Lone Ranger, Matlock, Perry Mason, etc. (Della Street is HOT!) Anyway, they know their audience. The commercials target the elderly exclusively: burial plots, final expense insurance, open enrollment Medicare supplemental insurance, CPAP machines, car accident injuries, cancer causing asbestos and Roundup exposure and lawyers asking you to call all 3s, 8s, etc. The same commercials run 24 hours/day. It's depressing and insulting to my intelligence. Why do I continue to watch that channel you ask? Della Street!

You're right, Della was a cutie-beauty , without being sleazy , etc.

I hate watching all the commercials on tv now. Thinking about it though reminded me of when I was growing up. My older cousin had a car dealership and his wife did the commercial. I enjoyed that one because it was family. Also, a neighbor had a car dealership and he had a commercial also and I think his daughter is on one now. We watched them only because we knew them and besides that, we didn't have a way to fast forward but we could mute them.

I have the TV on in background while i work from home .......... what i really am annoyed at anymore is the constant tease of there is better programs and everything if you will just pay the streaming fee.
Although many seem low to start they will climb and since people are signing up for two or three or more they are often paying as much or more then they were for cable.
Other issues i squirm at is all the drugs whose list of side effects are never ending......
and the fly by night banks and apps targeting people who are not willing to see the FREE FREE FREE will be paid be FEE FEE FEE.......

I think the commercials are chosen to suit the audience. If a programme is expected to attract older people, the ads are aimed at old folks...ditto with young programmes. The channels I watch seem to show commercials for pre-paid funerals, life insurance and disability aids. Not sure what that says about me!

There are a few ads that irritate me so much that I have to change the channel. One is that J g. Wentworth, CASH NOW ad. The My Pillow ads come in a close second. Then comes the ads for the credit score company with the guy on a cow. I guess all the good animals mascots have been taken. And while it's not a commercial, I hate those PBS's begging for cash "breaks"., PBS has really got annoying down to a science.

Watching Young Sheldon on CBS they will show 5 minutes of the program to hook you followed by 5 minutes of commercials and the promotion of upcoming shows when I want to see the current show. I can't watch it in real time any more so I record it and watch later and fast forward during commercials.

There are a few ads that irritate me so much that I have to change the channel. One is that J g. Wentworth, CASH NOW ad. The My Pillow ads come in a close second. Then comes the ads for the credit score company with the guy on a cow. I guess all the good animals mascots have been taken. And while it's not a commercial, I hate those PBS's begging for cash "breaks"., PBS has really got annoying down to a science.
i totally agree about both the purple cow and the JG wentworth ads........ the manipulation in recent years for credit score has made them almost worthless.

while i realize often people may have a emergency and need cash .... many long term payments they target like insurance settlements etc are set up that way so people have steady income in future.
These folks seem like the target of these to sell their future payments for probably half of what it is worth....

I have the TV on in background while i work from home .......... what i really am annoyed at anymore is the constant tease of there is better programs and everything if you will just pay the streaming fee.
Although many seem low to start they will climb and since people are signing up for two or three or more they are often paying as much or more then they were for cable.
Other issues i squirm at is all the drugs whose list of side effects are never ending......
and the fly by night banks and apps targeting people who are not willing to see the FREE FREE FREE will be paid be FEE FEE FEE.......

I have never paid to watch TV, and no plans to start at age 70. I get around 20 FREE hi-def OTA channels plus FREE streaming. I have literally hundreds of FREE streamed movies, TV shows, documentaries, etc. at my fingertips.

For those unaware, here are some great FREE streaming channels:

You Tube
Tubi
Filmrise
ROKU
Crackle
Xumo
Pluto

. . . and probably many more that I haven't bumped into. With many of these, if you create a FREE account you can save programs that you want to watch later, plus you can have movies pick up where you left them so you can continue without interruption the next day or whenever.

I have no idea why people pay to watch TV -- especially today.

The download Dave banking for humans commercial.
Comes on way too much .

Back