Bill Maher's opinion on Trans kids

As a therapist, viewing comments around people’s non hetero sexuality being perceived as disgusting breaks my heart. Imagine a world where heterosexuality was viewed in this fashion, how would these people feel? In stark reality, many Lgbtquia youth and young adults lose family and friends, end up on the streets, die through homophobic violence, are trafficked to

people so perverse even I am surprised at their perfidy. Others fall to substance abuse, have relationship difficulties as a result of extreme trauma. The suicide stats are appalling. The idea that one chooses their sexuality is ridiculous. Who chose to be hetero? I was born

that way. I applaud dseag for speaking the truth. Bigotry maims, bigotry kills. This is not a harmless intellectual freedom of speech thing. Going to the funerals of children is a stark reminder of this insidious blight in our society.

Surely there must be other homosexual people on this site. Why is he the only one being vociferous? He is unable to differentiate between someone voicing an opinion and stating facts. However, don't worry, there are more rational people here who ARE able to tell the difference.The people who run these social sites need to be careful not to show preferential treatment to certain members.
Regardless of other member's personal preference, which is really none of your business, you have no reason to talk down to them or think of yourself as someone who is better, you are not.

This is a small forum specifically created for older people, not a 'social media site' like fb, twitter, etc. How dare you allege, even in your passive aggressive way, that the owner and Administrator of this board shows preferential treatment to any particular members. You have just joined this year, a bit early for you to be so harsh and so judgemental to both the community and the management.

One thing that is fact, there is no hatred of people of different races, religions, or personal preferences by the owner of this forum. Any established member who has participated in the community for years knows that any actions or changes here have been for the benefit of all the members. Perhaps you should have an open mind before condemning others, members are members, not to be labeled by someone like you.

I'm sorry you find me "vociferous", but I will not be bullied in 2022 by small-minded, ignorant people who call the gay community "faggots and queers" or those who call my lifestyle "disgusting". I do know the difference between stating facts and baiting with comments like "Do all gay men sleep together"? Would your gay friends appreciate that question?

As far as the moderator favoring me in some way, he does not. It was not me who asked that the "faggots and queers" post be taken down but another member who PM'd me to say that it was unbelievable.

This will be my last response to this thread. Peace out!
Much respect.

When I played in a band when I was a teen ager we played at a wealthy party in in Silicon Valley. They sad it was "gay" party. I thought that meant "Happy". Wow, it was happy and it was also really weird with homosexuals, and trans people. Not a female in sight. :)
@dseag2 I was using the words that I knew when I was totally ignorant about alternative sexual interests. I mean I was a sheltered white boy until that party. I freaked me out and it needed to. A couple years later my best friend told me he was gay. I lived alone in a cabin in the mountains with him for months afterwards. Of course since then 40 years have passed and humanity has learned that sexuality is complex. I was involved (almost completely platonic) with many gay men during the aids thing....and I am not 100% male. :) I meant nothing by using the ancient words...you know me better than that. :)
My female partner and I experimented with playing the opposite sex for quite awhile...it was real fun.

@dseag2 I was using the words that I knew when I was totally ignorant about alternative sexual interests. I mean I was a sheltered white boy until that party. I freaked me out and it needed to. A couple years later my best friend told me he was gay. I lived alone in a cabin in the mountains with him for months afterwards. Of course since then 40 years have passed and humanity has learned that sexuality is complex. I was involved (almost completely platonic) with many gay men during the aids thing....and I am not 100% male. :) I meant nothing by using the ancient words...you know me better than that. :)
My female partner and I experimented with playing the opposite sex for quite awhile...it was real fun.
I have always appreciated your insights on SF, so I am more than willing to accept your explanation for your post. I appreciate the fact that you have shared so many details. We all need to unload at certain points in our lives and you have my complete support. (y)

BTW, this is coming from a Redneck white boy who grew up in the Southern Baptist church so I can totally relate.

Thank you for your response, and as we say in Texas "I appreciate you"!

Last edited:
@Lavinia perhaps you should direct your comments directly to me. There WERE other homosexual people on this site, like RFW who had been married once and was a retired cop and Smiley Holly who was a Trans housewife, but they've chosen to leave. I'm not surprised. With that said, if I need to be the only one on this site to share my story, so be it. I'm not going anywhere. I know who hates me because of my lifestyle. I know who supports me. I've made many friends here, and I value them.

I'm sorry you find me "vociferous", but I will not be bullied in 2022 by small-minded, ignorant people who call the gay community "faggots and queers" or those who call my lifestyle "disgusting". I do know the difference between stating facts and baiting with comments like "Do all gay men sleep together"? Would your gay friends appreciate that question?

As far as the moderator favoring me in some way, he does not. It was not me who asked that the "faggots and queers" post be taken down but another member who PM'd me to say that it was unbelievable.

This will be my last response to this thread. Peace out!
"I'm not going anywhere."
@dseag2 Glad to know it! ♥ I appreciate you.

Back to the original topic: I believe that Bill Maher's main point was that children go through many developmental changes, both physically and mentally, and that perhaps it is not in their best interests to intercede with chemical or surgical methods until they have fully matured. If society "fixed" every three year old boy who put on his mommy's high heels, we'd have a serious shortage of men. If my own parents gave me hormones and surgery in my youth based on my interests, I'd be a five foot tall (and terribly insecure) male instead of a great-grandmother today. The bottom line: accept your children through all their stages and let them become who they were meant to be. It used to be called "loving unconditionally." If your child exhibits severe distress over their gender identity, get them psychiatric counselling before calling a surgeon so everyone understands what is really happening. And don't let your personal biases get in the way of their natural development. If they love someone of the same sex, rejoice that they found love. If they decide to permanently change their gender, remember that it is only the packaging that has changed.

Last edited:
As a therapist, viewing comments around people’s non hetero sexuality being perceived as disgusting breaks my heart. Imagine a world where heterosexuality was viewed in this fashion, how would these people feel? In stark reality, many Lgbtquia youth and young adults lose family and friends, end up on the streets, die through homophobic violence, are trafficked to

people so perverse even I am surprised at their perfidy. Others fall to substance abuse, have relationship difficulties as a result of extreme trauma. The suicide stats are appalling. The idea that one chooses their sexuality is ridiculous. Who chose to be hetero? I was born

that way. I applaud dseag for speaking the truth. Bigotry maims, bigotry kills. This is not a harmless intellectual freedom of speech thing. Going to the funerals of children is a stark reminder of this insidious blight in our society.
As a therapist, should you not be more neutral on a public forum?

Regardless of other member's personal preference, which is really none of your business, you have no reason to talk down to them or think of yourself as someone who is better, you are not.

This is a small forum specifically created for older people, not a 'social media site' like fb, twitter, etc. How dare you allege, even in your passive aggressive way, that the owner and Administrator of this board shows preferential treatment to any particular members. You have just joined this year, a bit early for you to be so harsh and so judgemental to both the community and the management.

One thing that is fact, there is no hatred of people of different races, religions, or personal preferences by the owner of this forum. Any established member who has participated in the community for years knows that any actions or changes here have been for the benefit of all the members. Perhaps you should have an open mind before condemning others, members are members, not to be labeled by someone like you.
Now I will be the lobster boiled in the pot, but, I believe this lady Lavinia is getting a bad rap. What has she done that is so disastrous?

I have a good friend who has worked in Hollywood. So has her daughter who worked with Maher in some capacity. She said he was very rude to her daughter who he evidently thought was much younger than she is. My friend's assessment of him is that he's a real jerk. I have to admit this was a good monologue though; he made some good points. I think that even my friend who thinks he's a jerk would like this clip. She's been on a soapbox about trans people for months. @feywon....I bet you can guess who I'm talking about. And I just realized how much Maher reminds me of a late former co-worker.

I have a good friend who has worked in Hollywood. So has her daughter who worked with Maher in some capacity. She said he was very rude to her daughter who he evidently thought was much younger than she is. My friend's assessment of him is that he's a real jerk. I have to admit this was a good monologue though; he made some good points. I think that even my friend who thinks he's a jerk would like this clip. She's been on a soapbox about trans people for months. @feywon....I bet you can guess who I'm talking about. And I just realized how much Maher reminds me of a late former co-worker.
i have a good idea who you mean and i think you're right considering her tendency to shall we say 'not approve' of certain lifestyle choices. If you recall her outspokenness about it is why one of our friends left the Conversation Cave not long after it was created, because the topic was very personal for that member. Ironically your friend's opinion of Maher is one of the few things, besides what constitutes good parenting, that i agree with her about.

And yes, he may make some good points, but he's one of a very small group of people that grate on my nerves so badly i have trouble listening to them talk. Often there may be one topic or point about a topic i may agree with the person about but because many of their statements seem 'mean-spirited' to me i have trouble listening to them speak.

If your child exhibits severe distress over their gender identity, get them psychiatric help before calling a surgeon. And don't let your personal biases get in the way of their natural development. If they love someone of the same sex, rejoice that they found love. If they decide to permanently change their gender, remember that it is only the packaging that has changed.
I know the grandchild who is transitioning had to have a year of psychiatric evaluation before anything started.

In todays' media...

A consultant physician has been stuck off for wrongly prescribing sex-change treatments to seven transgender patients - one who was aged just nine and another a teenager who took their own life few months later.

Dr Michael Webberley, who spent 34 years working for the NHS, provided puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones via GenderGP, an online gender clinic which he ran with his GP wife Dr Helen Webberley.

A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) panel found there had been a 'catalogue of failings' in relation to his care of the seven patients between February 2017 and June 2019.

In several cases, he'd taken care of the patients after restrictions had been placed on his wife's practice.

But several doctors raised concerns about his treatment with the GMC (General Medical Council) and he was later suspended.

With all seven patients, he provided treatment that wasn't clinically indicated or had been prescribed without adequate tests, examinations or assessments.

He'd reached diagnoses of gender dysphoria - 'a sense of unease a person may have because of mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity', according to the NHS - based on inadequate information and failed to gain informed consent from patients.

The tribunal heard about one nine-year-old patient - know as Patient V - who'd been born a biological girl but identified as a boy.

Dr Webberley diagnosed the patient as suffering from gender dysphoria based on a questionnaire that was 'inadequate for the assessment of a minor' and without performing an adequate mental or physical examination.

He then prescribed puberty blockers - which pause the physical changes of puberty - off-licence and without considering alternative treatments or adequately assessing the balance between the risks and benefits.

A 17-year-patient - known as Patient W - was transitioning from female to male and first contacted Dr Webberley in June 2018.

The patient had become unhappy at the long waiting lists for NHS treatment and said in an email that they wanted to transition as soon as possible as it would have a 'massively positive impact' on their mental health.

'I have been waiting to go on hormones so long now and it means so much to me,' they added. 'I am so happy it is finally happening.'

But Dr Webberley diagnosed Patient W as gender dysphoric without checking information with their GP.

The tribunal also found that he prescribed testosterone when it wasn't clinically indicated and without establishing whether the risks were lower than the risks to the patient's mental and physical health.

Patient W had been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and had 'complex' and long-standing mental health issues but it 'did not appear' that Dr Webberley was aware of them and he'd failed to obtain the patient's medical records, the tribunal concluded.

Sadly, Patient W took their own life just three months later.

Patient W is believed to be Jayden Lowe, who was prescribed the treatment by the GenderGP clinic and subsequently stepped in front of a train.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nge-drugs-private-online-GenderGp-clinic.html

Back