Cleveland Indians will become Cleveland Guardians

It bothers me at Christmas when all the store folks say Happy Holidays when they used to say Merry Christmas! I know they had to change due to PC now but I just smile, nod and go on my way. Due to the virus I don't get out much any more so I won't be bothered. Christmas is a special time for me because of my faith. Its a daily thing really for me but I love the Christmas services at Church and the rituals I observe. But again thats just me Everybody has their own faith and traditions that I respect. My way is not the only way.
I was raised a Catholic but my parents weren't active so other than Christmas there was nothing to keep me in "the fold".

Oh my, what part to take seriously and where to start?:)

* There are six words in British English for "Indians"? I hope you are not including "West Indians" and ... and ... and .. what are the other ones?
Oh my, what part to take seriously and where to start?:)
None of it, all tongue in cheek.
"There are six words in British English for "Indians"? I hope you are not including "West Indians" and ... and ... and .. what are the other ones?"
Go back and read again.
You said: In continental European languages there are two words denoting people from India and people from the Americas.
I said: In European English there were six words used back in the 1940's. What was it?
Note, there was neither any mention or implication of Indian, as in indigenous tribes. The six words were all about the European settlers that became known as Americans. Their descendants were those soldiers who came to Britain, trained to a high level, invaded Nazi occupied France, many of whom now lay to rest in a European war grave and gave us a freedom that others around the world, envy.

We were rather rude with those six words, but they have passed into the historic lexicon: "Over sexed, over paid and over here.

To be clear, using the “N” word is not illegal, period. You see, there is this thing called the First Amendment in the U.S. Constitution.

There are times when it could become illegal. For example: If anyone would use the word in a threatening manner like, “I’m going to beat the crap out of that ‘n—-r.” Then, the police could arrest and charge the individual with harassment or making a terroristic threat, but the second charge would be a reach. The D.A. may also add charges, depending on the circumstances. Since this ruling was handed down some 50 years ago by the U.S. Supreme Court when the KKK was charged for using the word, I am not aware if any further rulings were handed down.

The "N" word does not necessarily have to be used in a threatening manner to be illegal, but is a substantial element. Depending on the specific facts, it could be considered "Fighting words", which are not protected speech. Also, depending on the facts, it is protected speech. State Court rulings differ on the elements.

I'm on record for not liking politically correct people. I think they are a bunch of crying sissies; always complaining and never really doing our society any good!
I'm with you 100%. I'd like to know what THEY think they are accomplishing. If you find out before me be sure to tell me 'cause I just know it's going to be one hell of a hoot!

I'm with you 100%. I'd like to know what THEY think they are accomplishing. If you find out before me be sure to tell me 'cause I just know it's going to be one hell of a hoot!
Since you asked...

If not for "PC," people would still be using the N word and numerous other ugly terms designed specifically to denigrate various races and ethnicities. "Political Correctness" is a negative description for positive behavioral changes many of us willingly when someone says, "That term depicts me negatively, continues disrespectful stereotypes, or hurts my feelings."

Other than to maintain the power of "You can't make me change my ways", why would anyone care what the flipping baseball team is called? If indigenous people find it disrespectful, that should be reason enough. Native populations in the US, Canada, Australia, Africa and numerous other places have been subjected to extraordinary levels of abuse over the past 500 years due to colonialism. They've been slaughtered and stripped of their lands, their lifestyles, their religions, and more.

Is it too much for them to ask that we don't further dehumanize them by turning them into amusing mascots?

Since you asked...

If not for "PC," people would still be using the N word and numerous other ugly terms designed specifically to denigrate various races and ethnicities.
No, I disagree with this in the strongest terms. I am 74 years old, I have never used that term and I am fervently opposed to Political Correctness. I am in complete agreement with Packerjohn in post #87.

Disagreeing won't alter the fact that the times, they are a changin'.
The times can change but when the message is put forward and good examples have been displayed for it then it is time to mellow it out and disperse it to the masses (in that mellow stage), not take it one step further and yet another step further until you become the force you were fighting against at the beginning of your quest.

Now for me, the Guardians denote the Guardians of the Galaxy. There may be copyright infringement issues here, and don’t mess with Rocket Raccoon, who doesn’t even like to be called a raccoon...

614DABB5-CA5D-4594-ABBA-FCFC2E16FA84.jpeg

The times can change but when the message is put forward and good examples have been displayed for it then it is time to mellow it out and disperse it to the masses (in that mellow stage), not take it one step further and yet another step further until you become the force you were fighting against at the beginning of your quest.
I see this as an issue of morality and empathy.

If I realized some of my descriptive language was offensive to an entire culture, I would do whatever I could to stop that behavior. It doesn't reduce me in the slightest to adapt to something as ultimately meaningless as a team name, or term used to refer to a race or ethnicity. If nothing else, it's a matter of good manners.

The trend is (thank heavens) moving away from team names that offend ethnic groups.

I agree that getting rid of negative words toward some ethnic groups is a good thing but some things are going too far. For example, throwing red paint or toppling a statute of General Andrew Jackson in the USA or Prime Minister John A. Macdonald in Canada going to solve anything? George Washington was a slave owner. Throw red paint on him? I think not! He was also the 1st President of the United States and all Americans need to know this and how their country came into being. Same goes for that Boston Tea Party. If the young people don't know their history they might think about a bunch of people sitting around and drinking tea. They wouldn't know what "no representation, no taxation" meant to those people. If you hide or deny your history, you are going to keep being wrong in your thinking. We who know our history, all the good, the bad and the ugly can learn from it and hopefully we wouldn't make those mistakes again in the future. Our history is there to teach us lessons. Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance just leads to more and more stupidity from one generation to the next.

I see this as an issue of morality and empathy.

If I realized some of my descriptive language was offensive to an entire culture, I would do whatever I could to stop that behavior. It doesn't reduce me in the slightest to adapt to something as ultimately meaningless as a team name, or term used to refer to a race or ethnicity. If nothing else, it's a matter of good manners.

The trend is (thank heavens) moving away from team names that offend ethnic groups.
EVERYTHING offends ethnic groups if you want it to. What about short people? Shouldn't tall women begin dating short men so as not to offend those men of less physical stature? And why do really short women like to date tall men? Don't you think that also offends short men and destroys their self-conficence? The phrase "Tall dark and handsome" ought to be banned from use don't you think so too? It's a matter of good manners.

Back