Cremation or burial ? What is your choice ?

Ideally, I'd like to be buried in a type of 'green' cemetery that I've read about that wraps a body in a fungus-imbued shroud that helps recycle the body, and buries it and plants a tree on the plot.
But I haven't arranged anything, it seems like cremation is the simplest option, after my father died my mom had him cremated and at the same time she paid for her own future cremation, and it made life so easy when she died. My parents already had cemetery plots and I think headstones too (I am bad, I have never gone to the cemetery because it is a couple hours away).
Hi Honey. This is may help you as it has helped me. My parents gravesite is a 21 hour drive away but I manage to visit often. What I do is go to google earth. Put in the address of the cemetery then go to the gravesite and zoom in. This is better than no visits. Let me know how you make out using this method. Enjoy your day, Frostie

I opted for cremation. The main reason is that it is a hell of a lot cheaper. Originally, I was going to go for the burial, but switched over to a cremation after several monthly payments. With the burial, I would have been making monthly payments for years. At the beginning, when I picked out my coffin, the undertaker asked me if I wanted to jump in and give the coffin a tryout. I cringed with disgust. He told me that it was just a joke of the profession.

I will be cremated so it's the fire for me, rather than the worms and maggots. My cremation has been paid for. I have outlived 2 wives and both were cremated.

Here is a question for all ya religious types. When I get to paradise all my family and friends will be waiting there to greet me. Right? I have no problem with that but what about my 2 wives. Do I get to pick which wife I want or I don't? I predicate that there might be one very happy woman and one very angry woman. What do you think?

Attachments

• bora-bora-685303_1280.jpg
    bora-bora-685303_1280.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
I will be cremated so it's the fire for me, rather than the worms and maggots. My cremation has been paid for. I have outlived 2 wives and both were cremated.

Here is a question for all ya religious types. When I get to paradise all my family and friends will be waiting there to greet me. Right? I have no problem with that but what about my 2 wives. Do I get to pick which wife I want or I don't? I predicate that there might be one very happy woman and one very angry woman. What do you think?
How do you know you and the former wives will all be going to the same place? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(sorry, couldn't resist..) :ROFLMAO:

Just came from a funeral in IL. $10K funeral home services, no embalming, only gravesite service. No real choice of caskets due to pandemic so cheapest one $4.5k and included in above number. Another $10K for burial plot, vault (required in IL). Headstone not included. Another $3k between religious service gravesite, incidentals, etc.

Just either put me in the ground in a shroud or better cremate and spread the ashes in the forest near my home. Simpler the better.

Cremation for me. What, after all is said and done in a burial? Nothing more than a name carved in a stone. Our names and thoughts carved in the Internet are a far better remembrance. Here is another far more useful remembrance carved in the fabric of a beautiful sampler …

“Industry taught in early days, not only gives the Teachers praise, but gives us pleasure when we view the work that innocence can do. Go on dear child learn to excel, improve in work and reading well, for Books And Works do Both contend to make the Housewife and the Friend.
Elizabeth A Wiles Aged 10, March 20th 1843”

Those words are part of a masterful sampler that was found folded in a quilt in San Jose, California 30 years ago. I am familiar with samplers. I see similar stitching every year in the Marin County Fair and none compare to the work of the 10 year old Elizabeth A Wiles. Elizabeth your work on this cloth will preserve your memory far better than a name chiseled on a stone. Rest in peace.

I understand head transplants are coming with the fast advance in medical procedures.

But I'd never donate my head for transplant after I die. I owe so many people so much money, the poor sap who got my head would never get a moment's peace.

Definitiely cremation. My husband and I bought a lovely marble bench with a hollowed-out base that contains the container(s) of ashes. His are already in there. It's a beautiful, park-like cemetery, lots of nice trees, etc. The cemetery has traditional gravestones also; I suspect that lots of modern cemeteries give people a choice.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a concrete tomb, with a large casket in it, with an embalmed body take to compost? I am not trying to be funny or gross, I just wonder. 1,000 + years or ? That's why I do not want to be put in the ground...

60 years a diabetic, no amputation, no blindness, reasonably healthy, live alone and walk 2 to 3miles/day with Flash (dog). I am donating my body to the medical school in the hopes that future doctors will realize that a healthy lifestyle has a bearing on aging. Eventually, my ashes will be scattered with past dogs' ashes into the ocean.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a concrete tomb, with a large casket in it, with an embalmed body take to compost? I am not trying to be funny or gross, I just wonder. 1,000 + years or ? That's why I do not want to be put in the ground...
It will happen, sooner or later. Depends a lot on the subsurface conditions, moisture (leaks in concrete are inevitable), temperature, oxygen, etc. Geologically the time will come, hundreds to millions of years... Nothing is forever.

Back