Describe character traits that annoy you

hypochondriac

those who struggle to put me on a pedestal
ex worhippers of me who discovered I was less than perfect
those who saw through my weak arguments
those who discovered I wasnt as humble as they thought
those who disagreed with me and made good points
those that came up with better jokes

Braggarts, showoffs, people who just won't get off the stage.

Also, tightwads, cheapskates and people who are so stingy they hurt themselves and others. And think it is a virtue.

Habitual lateness. That's them telling you that their time is more valuable than yours . It's an insult and a huge slap in the face.

Taking unimportant phone calls when we have met for lunch or a visit and chatting on with the caller... let me outta here and never again.

Whew! I feel better.

Last edited:
Braggarts, showoffs, people who just won't get off the stage.

Also, tightwads, cheapskates and people who are so stingy they hurt themselves and others. And think it is a virtue.

Habitual lateness. That's them telling you that their time is more valuable than yours . It's an insult and a huge slap in the face.

Taking unimportant phone calls when we have met for lunch or a visit and chatting on with the caller... let me outta here and never again.

Whew! I feel better.

What RR said. x2

I agree with all of the above and will add more. People who cannot admit fault or apologize when they've hurt someone. When I see someone twist themselves into knots so they do not have to admit fault, I literally want to smack them. It's really not hard to say "I was wrong" or "I'm sorry", these things go a long way in building strong relationships.

Also people who will say something and when you call them on it they say "I never said that". I guess this falls under lying, but it's one that gets under my skin.

Sometimes I find myself getting annoyed at character traits that have absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. Then I get annoyed with myself for getting annoyed!
Here are two examples, both of them women in my bridge group:

One woman, a very nice, friendly person, has a habit of breaking into song as a response to every other remark anyone makes. Everything reminds her of a song! She's like someone in one of those old-fashioned movie musicals. Yesterday I said, "I can't get any decent cards. It's just one of those days." The minute I said it, I knew it was a mistake. Of course, she burst out with, "It was just one of those days" (instead of things), sung off-key. Sometimes I change what I am saying at the last minute, because my original words sound too much like a song.
Why do I find this so annoying? Beats me? Maybe it's just the predictability of it.

Another woman in that group has the most extreme Brooklyn accent I've ever heard. If she's bidding four hearts, it comes out "Fooah hawts." That is slightly annoying, but mostly I just feel sorry for her, going through life with a voice like that. She might have something perfectly intelligent to say, but it's hard to take her seriously when it comes out like that.

I realize that I am not perfect either, and am trying to work on my tolerance skills.

Sometimes I find myself getting annoyed at character traits that have absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. Then I get annoyed with myself for getting annoyed!
Here are two examples, both of them women in my bridge group:

One woman, a very nice, friendly person, has a habit of breaking into song as a response to every other remark anyone makes. Everything reminds her of a song! She's like someone in one of those old-fashioned movie musicals. Yesterday I said, "I can't get any decent cards. It's just one of those days." The minute I said it, I knew it was a mistake. Of course, she burst out with, "It was just one of those days" (instead of things), sung off-key. Sometimes I change what I am saying at the last minute, because my original words sound too much like a song.
Why do I find this so annoying? Beats me? Maybe it's just the predictability of it.

Another woman in that group has the most extreme Brooklyn accent I've ever heard. If she's bidding four hearts, it comes out "Fooah hawts." That is slightly annoying, but mostly I just feel sorry for her, going through life with a voice like that. She might have something perfectly intelligent to say, but it's hard to take her seriously when it comes out like that.

I realize that I am not perfect either, and am trying to work on my tolerance skills.
Entertaining to read :)

Hypochondriacs! LOL The people who are convinced they have the disease du jour and run off to whichever doctor they can round up who will see them right now. If they're reassured that they have nothing to worry about, they get huffy and find another doctor. And they'll go on and on, chapter and verse, about why they KNOW they have whatever it is they've decided is their particular affliction and that the doctor(s) they've seen don't know what they're doing.

And chronic gritches. People who have nothing positive to say. Ever. They'd complain if they were hung with a gold rope. Comment that it's a nice day and be prepared to hear "It would be if not so (fill in the blank)." Say "I'm looking forward to (fill in the blank)" and be reminded that "I know someone who did that, and it was a disaster from start to finish, costing a lot more than expected."

I agree with all of the above and will add more. People who cannot admit fault or apologize when they've hurt someone. When I see someone twist themselves into knots so they do not have to admit fault, I literally want to smack them. It's really not hard to say "I was wrong" or "I'm sorry", these things go a long way in building strong relationships.

Also people who will say something and when you call them on it they say "I never said that". I guess this falls under lying, but it's one that gets under my skin.

Exactly! This type of person would not admit to being wrong if their life depended on it. This type also tries to be very controlling with other people's life.

People who exhibit narcissistic qualities: punitive, liars, self absorbed, require centre stage 24/7, lack empathy or compassion, basically disrupting otherā€™s lives on a constant basis, then employing gaslighting techniques to dismiss other peopleā€™s reality.

Phony people who offer help, but never intend to actually extend the same.

Rude folks who can't be bothered to send a simple, texted "Thank you!," after you give their new child/grandchild, who was given your own rather rare name, a $500 "Welcome to this world!" check!

Back