Do you ever just need someone to talk to?

Of course. The problem is finding someone who is trustworthy and will listen. Someone who even cares. I have trouble finding those kind of people.

The "no matter what" friend even exists?
The only one I can trust completely who will not betray me is myself. It gets boring to just talk to I and myself though.

I also realized to find a trustworthy friend, I should be one to them; it's a two way street. The difficult part for me is throwing caution to the wind, show them my vulnerable side with high hopes they'll not pass judgments. In most instances, I am not looking for advice, I just want a listening ear. If that kind of friend comes along, that'll be a huge blessing.

Carl Gustav Jung wrote :

Loneliness does not come from having no people about one but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.
and:
The shoe that fits one person pinches another, there is no recipe for living that suits all cases

Life can be difficult in finding the 'right' people or a person who will listen, most people want to talk about themselves. But I'm sure what you have written resonates with other people so in that sense you have people already sharing your views and therefore there is some support. Just knowing that there are other people out there who share similar views and/or experiences gives some stability knowing that one is not alone. Hope that makes sense. :) However I do understand how difficult and challenging it is.

yes it is always nice to have someone to talk to----i had my sister that we use to talk everyday--she passed away in 2015- i live with my youngest daughter but she hangs out with her husband all the time--one thing i never wanted to do was move in with my kids

The only one I can trust completely who will not betray me is myself. It gets boring to just talk to I and myself though.

I also realized to find a trustworthy friend, I should be one to them; it's a two way street. The difficult part for me is throwing caution to the wind, show them my vulnerable side with high hopes they'll not pass judgments. In most instances, I am not looking for advice, I just want a listening ear. If that kind of friend comes along, that'll be a huge blessing.
My sentiments exactly.

That's why I finally got involved with social media (i.e. this site). I found myself talking to my birds and the neighbor dog and myself far too often. The conversations were essentially dull monologues. I needed feedback!
I agree, I need feedback of some kind, either by friends I can phone and discuss things with, "and when I've worn them out", the forums like this one are very good too. :).

I never need to step out beyond my immediate family. Some of you do not share the same situation and I'm only speaking of my experience. We're in our 80's , our kids are all clustered around 60, two just over the other 2 just under.

Never have we had cause for a moment of distrust from any of them or the 13 grandkids (some now married) that they've produced. Our 3 SIL's and dear DIL (who we just lost to cancer in January) have been wonderful additions to our family.

I always find it sad that so many people dislike and/or distrust their off-spring but in today's world so many families are made up of ex's, steps, halfs, etc., that the solidity of the family unit lacks cohesiveness.

To conclude, we only have 2 or 3 "old" friends left alive and the last place I'd look for trusted advice would be to relative new-comers to my circle. Trust is earned, and to be safe, over a long period.

Thank goodness for my fur babies! We have conversations all the time!
I have friends, of course, like I'm sure you do but not since my best friend died from cancer have I had anyone whom I can share EVERYTHING with. She was that one person I knew I could count on come hell or high water.
When I want intelligent conversation, I talk to myself.😜20191016_170112.jpg

And at the moment they look like they can't wait for you to start the conversation.

I can tell you that any conversation, with our dogs, that contains the word "supper" will get their unbridled attention whereas the same word when used with the cats, rarely causes them to even open their eyes. 🙂

Something occurred to me recently that might fit in with this thread.

Sometimes it's good to have someone to talk to- but sometimes it's not helpful.
This is what I mean: if there's a negative situation (not anything harmful/dangerous), talking to someone who agrees with you can 'dilute' your feelings about it and may even make you less likely to take constructive action- especially if the person you're talking to doesn't think anything can be done about it.

I find myself in this situation more and more these days. I just need someone to talk to, a sounding board if you will, no judging. Sometimes I just need to get things off my chest.

Anyone else in this predicament?
I have a few friends that are my sounding board and I am theirs. It helps A LOT. You can feel free to send me a PM if you like.

A therapist is a special kind of relationship. albeit an artificial kind of one, they're obliged to listen to you and their needs are fulfilled by the fee you pay them. But then it can become complicated if one also becomes friends with the therapist.
I agree. I could not be friends with my counselor, although I connect with her very well. However, I would not cross over to the friend Zone.

You would rather pay a stranger to do the listening than a good friend, (or am I falling for good ol sarcasm, all said "tongue in cheek".👨‍🌾👌🤣 )?
And then there are those of us who aren't good at making friends. So I guess it's like with other things: sometimes you have to pay for it (being listened to, in this case).

Back