Eating a plant-based diet.

I see here in Canada a number of food producers who are trying to push products that are "Plant based " such as Plant Butter. The Canadian Dairy Producers are going to request the Federal Government to remove the word "Butter " from any product that is NOT made from cow's milk. The same would apply to things like "Almond Milk " and the like. Truth in advertising is what I want to see here. If someone wants to eat bean sprouts, go right ahead, but don't try to call it BEEF patties. JimB.
There are all kinds of butters. Almond butter, nut & seed butter, (shea butter - for external use.) The word butter isnt just a substance made from cows milk. The request sounds incredibly juvenile.

There are all kinds of butters. Almond butter, nut & seed butter, (shea butter - for external use.) The word butter isnt just a substance made from cows milk. The request sounds incredibly juvenile.
Patty. What if somebody started marketing a product called "Honey " that was not actually made by bees but was some kind of artificial mixture of sugar and water? Or a food product called "Apple Juice " that did not contain Apples ? How about the idea of truth in advertising ? JimB.

Patty. What if somebody started marketing a product called "Honey " that was not actually made by bees but was some kind of artificial mixture of sugar and water? Or a food product called "Apple Juice " that did not contain Apples ? How about the idea of truth in advertising ? JimB.
Of courseā€¦ā€¦apple butter ! How did I miss that mis-named food? Butā€¦..Chicken Fingers is just fine, right, even if chicken have never had fingers ?

Jim. Nut butters have been around for centuries. They just werenā€™t patented or commercialized. Nobody was making any huge profits off them. The word butter has more to do with texture than it does any singular product.

Honey has nothing to do with this however there are many different types of honey

I have found that (so far) I donā€™t really miss eating meat. I had already cut way back on eating most meat anyway, so this was just another step in the same direction.
I do miss cheese also, but not as much as I thought I would, and since I can always choose to have a small amount now and then, I donā€™t feel like I have told myself ā€œnever againā€ about any kind of food.

I do like tofu, but the only way that I had eaten it before was fried, which I am trying not to do either, and in hot-and-sour soup at the Asian restaurant.
I have been sautƩing the tofu along with my veggies when I make stir fry, and only using a little bit of oil, and I really like that, too.
Here is the website for Dr. Gregor for anyone who is interested in checking it out or in reading his books. He also has quite a few short tutorial videos on the website as well.

NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

There is a take-out buffet at a giant local farmers market. One of the offerings is a dish of cubed tofu in a very spicy sauce. It covers up any unpleasant flavor of the tofu.

My lady served me a BBQ sandwich for lunch today
In a hamburger bun

She's pretty much vegan

Asked when she started buying pulled pork

Said it was jack fruit

Could NOT tell the difference

Anybody know about jack fruit?
Gary, do you know if your wife used fresh jackfruit?

We have used it as a BBQ "meat" on rice or in a sandwich, but all we have access to is the canned. I can't say I wouldn't know the difference, but that could also be how we fix it. We've been eating vegetarian for about 8 years now, so our tastes have changed.

As a life long vegetarian from birth I would be interested in learning how many on this thread are true vegetarians (or vegans) and how many are occasional or regular meat (or fish) eaters. My family is a bit of everything and meal times can be 'interesting' for a stove top meal!
I eat a vegan diet and have for almost 8 years. My wife is primarily a vegetarian having tried exclusively wfpb, but will have fish a couple of times a year and uses a little cheese on pasta.

We came to it because of health reasons and in our situation the results of been tremendous. Mostly whole food, mostly no added fats, but not exclusively. I've been known to eat some vegan junk food. In fact there is one brand of vegan sausages that I prefer to the "traditional" versions I've had. I have them 3 or 4 times a year, not an everyday thing.

Not too difficult for us, we both know how and like to cook and a lot of stuff just isn't available where we live so if we want something different we figure out what comes close enough.

I was totally Vegan for a few years. But then I read I'm supposed to be getting a fair amount of protein at each meal. I don't want to eat almonds for breakfast, or beans, or tofu. Nor can I just drink a cup of soy milk with my toast because it has calcium and I take a med that cannot be around calcium for 4 hours after I take it. Plus, I'm not really a fan of smoothies. They can be made with plant protein powder, but IDK, I just don't like them much. I only make those when I'm sick.

So, I have relented and started eating more fish and lean chicken just to get some lean protein. But I still don't eat beef but for once every 6 months or so, and I never knowingly have bacon or ham. I will have one egg a day for the cheap protein it provides.

It's a tough change for the first two weeks. You have to change your mindset about what makes a "main dish". In traditional American cooking the main dish is always meat or cheese on top of something. For me, now the main dish is usually some kind of veggie thing, like a big salad, or a veggie soup. Or it can be a rice & beans dish of some kind.

I was totally Vegan for a few years. But then I read I'm supposed to be getting a fair amount of protein at each meal. I don't want to eat almonds for breakfast, or beans, or tofu. Nor can I just drink a cup of soy milk with my toast because it has calcium and I take a med that cannot be around calcium for 4 hours after I take it. Plus, I'm not really a fan of smoothies. They can be made with plant protein powder, but IDK, I just don't like them much. I only make those when I'm sick.

So, I have relented and started eating more fish and lean chicken just to get some lean protein. But I still don't eat beef but for once every 6 months or so, and I never knowingly have bacon or ham. I will have one egg a day for the cheap protein it provides.

It's a tough change for the first two weeks. You have to change your mindset about what makes a "main dish". In traditional American cooking the main dish is always meat or cheese on top of something. For me, now the main dish is usually some kind of veggie thing, like a big salad, or a veggie soup. Or it can be a rice & beans dish of some kind.
Iā€™m there with you. Iā€™d love to eat just a plant based diet however Iā€™m celiac and carbohydrate sensitive. Yesterday I ordered some protein powder with collagen added. Iā€™m hoping this powder will help me lose weight. Iā€™m on medication that creates weight gain but canā€™t go off it.

Having read here some of the diets that some folks have been forced to go on due to allergies and other dietary necessities I feel very fortunate that apart from not eating any meat (by choice) I have no restrictions in diet. I am most definitely a vegetarian (not a vegan) and rely heavily on eggs, cheese, beans and nuts however apart from potatoes and peas theamount of vegetables on my plate is best described as minimal!

Hardly a typical vegetarian despite having been strongly influenced by an aunt who was heavily involved in the movements early days in England in the 1940s, but made it thus far with but one scare due to high blood pressure some years ago now.

I am a firm believer in moderation in everything and everything (except for meat & fish in my case) in moderation and feel for those folks that for one reason or another must avoid certain foods.

I call my grandson "Honey" and not once have I imagined he might have been born in a hive.

Despite heavy lobbying by dairy producers (whose products are losing market share), last year the FDA ruled that plant based beverages don't pretend to be from dairy animals and that US consumers aren't confused by the difference.

We all know that plant-based food are healthy. Bloggers talk about it endlessly, doctors write the right articles. But, in reality, we all still don't get even one tenth of what plant-based food can give us. Here's an example. The most prominent scientists say that the most useful products in which the high content of lycopene, flavonoids, anthocyanins. Many people know this, but it doesn't change anything. And here's why:

Lycopene. Everyone knows about it, it's found in red peppers and tomatoes, but eating fresh vegetables, lycopene is digested very poorly. It is best absorbed in baked form, but you need to eat a lot of it together with fatty foods. In Italian cooking and families, tomato sauce and dried tomatoes are always on the table. The longevity is very high.

Anthocyanins. Everyone around the world is deficient in them. They are blue-black in color. Their maximum amount is contained in black rowanberries, and in such grapes as Sagrantino and Tannat and a few other varieties from which wine is made, not cheap and not readily available . The wine is not see-through, almost black in color, extremely tart tannin taste.

Who among you drinks such wine and eats black rowanberries, or baked tomatoes and peppers every day - no one. But, I heartily recommend it to all of you. My wife and I order such wine, dilute it with pomegranate juice to reduce the alcohol concentration and drink it.

Pomegranate juice also has a lot of anthocyanins, the main thing is that it tastes visco-tannin and dark red. Be well, friends.

I have been an omnivore all of my life, although I have always enjoyed eating vegetables and salads. The idea of just eating a vegan diet never seemed like it could be a healthy one.
However, most of the inflammatory foods that we eat (inflammation=pain) are from animal foods or highly processed foods (think sugar, white flour, and grease).
Greens, fruits, and veggies are very anti-inflammatory foods, and most can be eaten raw to preserve all of the natural enzymes.

Earlier this month, I got to go with my daughter for a week when she had to work in Orlando, Florida. We had a great time, and she took me out to some new and awesome restaurants down there, plus lots of delicious seafood.
The result was that by the time we came back home that Sunday night, my arthritis and gout were so awful that I could barely hobble along, and they almost had to carry me into the house.
WAY too much inflammatory foods that week !
I went to the store, got fresh pineapple, papaya and mango, and that was all that I ate on Monday. While recuperating, I started reading Dr. Michael Gregorā€™s book, called ā€œHow Not to Dieā€, which is all about a plant-based diet.

I decided that it was worth giving this a try, and the last two weeks that is what I have been doing. In only a few days, the gout and arthritis pain had subsided, I felt better, and am now enjoying what I am eating.
While I am not totally 100% plant-based yet, I am at least 80-90%, and just having a little milk in my morning coffee, or a bit of yogurt, or some feta cheese in my salad.

Surprisingly, I donā€™t miss eating meat at all, and I am really enjoying the foods that I am eating.
Next week is my doctor visit for the 6-month blood tests, and I am anxious to see if it has made any difference in how my blood work looks.
It is probably too soon to show much of any improvement, but at least it will give me a base for how the next one turns out because by another 6 months, it should definitely be showing improvement, if it is going to do that.
I gradually over a few years got interested in plant based diet. First I stopped red meats. Then a lot of the carbs as most of them had wheat in them. The sugars were next except for honey. For a long time I still ate fish and poultry. Now I donā€™t have them anymore and very little dairy. I still eat farm eggs though. So for the last few months Iā€™ve been losing weight and feeling great. First one in 30 years. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll go back to my old ways now.

We all know that plant-based food are healthy. Bloggers talk about it endlessly, doctors write the right articles. But, in reality, we all still don't get even one tenth of what plant-based food can give us. Here's an example. The most prominent scientists say that the most useful products in which the high content of lycopene, flavonoids, anthocyanins. Many people know this, but it doesn't change anything. And here's why:

Lycopene. Everyone knows about it, it's found in red peppers and tomatoes, but eating fresh vegetables, lycopene is digested very poorly. It is best absorbed in baked form, but you need to eat a lot of it together with fatty foods. In Italian cooking and families, tomato sauce and dried tomatoes are always on the table. The longevity is very high.

Anthocyanins. Everyone around the world is deficient in them. They are blue-black in color. Their maximum amount is contained in black rowanberries, and in such grapes as Sagrantino and Tannat and a few other varieties from which wine is made, not cheap and not readily available . The wine is not see-through, almost black in color, extremely tart tannin taste.

Who among you drinks such wine and eats black rowanberries, or baked tomatoes and peppers every day - no one. But, I heartily recommend it to all of you. My wife and I order such wine, dilute it with pomegranate juice to reduce the alcohol concentration and drink it.

Pomegranate juice also has a lot of anthocyanins, the main thing is that it tastes visco-tannin and dark red. Be well, friends.
I'll agree that sometimes it means going out of our way eat optimal amounts of various plant based products, but just knowing that cooked tomatoes are healthy sources of lycopene is enough to tilt some of us toward eating more tomato sauce.

Berries are are an excellent source of anthocyanins: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries. As far as I can tell, no RDA has been established for anthocyanins, so it's hard to know if people are deficient in them.

Flavonoids abound in berries, leafy vegetables, citrus and other fruits.

They could remove the word milk from plant based milks. This has been tried before. Can't remember the outcome. Won't make a difference. People will know what to look for. So the "milk" police will fail. :D

They could remove the word milk from plant based milks. This has been tried before. Can't remember the outcome. Won't make a difference. People will know what to look for. So the "milk" police will fail. :D
I donā€™t see the big deal. I think people understand that almond milk doesnā€™t come from an almond cow. Lol The things people come up with are crazy šŸ˜

We have used words like Milk for other foods for a long time, and I do not see a problem with the name. Someone was mentioning butter not being allowed either, except on actual dairy butter; but we have had peanut butter forever, and no one minded that until just recently.

My son was vegetarian for about 30 years and then a few years ago moved on to Vegan. It's so much harder to cook for him now. I was trying to find a nice Easter dessert that didn't contain a drop of egg or milk. Hard.

Still we all manage to eat together pretty well. Tonight I make a family favorite of macaroni, tomato sauce, onion, hamburger and cheese for hubs, and the same only with "bef" crumbles and no cheese for son. What a mess my stove top is after this.

Since Ash Wednesday, I lost 12 pounds doing 1000 calories a day of mainly plant based food ( no sugar no dairy no eggs) with lots of salad, cooked veg and an apple a day. Had to give it up because of constant intestinal distress.

My son was vegetarian for about 30 years and then a few years ago moved on to Vegan. It's so much harder to cook for him now. I was trying to find a nice Easter dessert that didn't contain a drop of egg or milk. Hard.

Still we all manage to eat together pretty well. Tonight I make a family favorite of macaroni, tomato sauce, onion, hamburger and cheese for hubs, and the same only with "bef" crumbles and no cheese for son. What a mess my stove top is after this.

Since Ash Wednesday, I lost 12 pounds doing 1000 calories a day of mainly plant based food ( no sugar no dairy no eggs) with lots of salad, cooked veg and an apple a day. Had to give it up because of constant intestinal distress.
Non dairy milk, butter cream cheese and sour cream work very well in most dessert recipes. I've yet to come across a dairy eater who notices the difference. Ground flax seeds and water make a quite good egg substitutes in baked goods.

Sorry to hear about your intestinal distress. It took a few weeks for my body to adjust to WFPB.

p.s. You're a good mom. Between DH, me, our kids, their spouses, and our grandkids, the family consists of 2 WFPB eaters, 2 fairly strict vegans, 2 omnivores who can't process milk-based products including cheese, 4 omnivores, and 1 keto eater. I feel your pain.

Nearly all gatherings are themed buffets where we build our own meals. We label by food type (vegan, dairy, etc.) so everyone can tell which is what. Works out great. Unless it's a bbq, anyone who wants meat brings it already.

Without reading through all these posts I will just pass on an experience I had with a friend who went full 'Vegetarian'. I recall he lost lots of weight and started really feeling good about his new diet. But, after a few months he ended up in the hospital because he had not consumed enough protein to be safe. He of course recovered and started studying how to be a Vegetarian, properly.

My only point is to be sure you completely research and understand the risks and recommended methods necessary when you change the food you're eating.

I certainly believe if something doesn't agree with you or you just don't like it, you shouldn't eat it.

For my example, Kale is supposed to be so good for you. It's horrid. Like chewing damp hay and my stomach didn't like it.

I started a plant-based diet a few years ago when my thyroid started acting up. I am one of that 10% of people that have hyper instead of hypo. Too much thyroid hormone. It seems to have helped somewhat. I have to avoid salt because of the iodine and also go easy on the fish, the one meat I do eat. Dairy is the other to avoid, but no worries there! I have been lactose intolerant since a teen and most dairy makes me feel unwell.

My own non-scientific belief is a variety of foods in moderation are better than a narrow diet. Eat the rainbow as they say. And no large meals. Being over-full is not a good feeling. I keep the calories to 1500-1800 a day and usually burn off about 300 ( according to my fitness app) doing my routines.

Nobody should have to eat foods they find distasteful. I remember gagging down liver when I was a kid - hated it. We had to clean our plates. I never forced my kids to eat. I would just say try one bite and if you donā€™t like it, ok.

For my example, Kale is supposed to be so good for you. It's horrid. Like chewing damp hay and my stomach didn't like it.
I feel you, Remy. The only way I like kale is (well cooked) in soup. Raw? No thanks. And that trick of massaging it with oil before eating it raw? Ridiculous. Addding a bunch of oil to a leafy green to make it palatable is like deep frying broccoli. Kinda misses the point of eating greens.

Back