Extreme Seclusion

Yesterday I watched a documentary on PBS about a former fashion designer, Ingrid Gipson, who left the big city and has been living alone in Arkansas’ rural Ouachita Mountains for 30 years. She's estranged from her two sons and lives entirely off her land, raises her own meat, and has been building her house with rocks and cement. She's also a sculptor and has started selling them recently. She was born in 1940.

I've always thought I'm kind of weird since I love my solitude and although I like humans I want to spend as little time as possible with them. BUT, I live in a city with all its amenities and can call for help if I need it. I would never want to live her lifestyle. Would you?

https://www.pbs.org/video/ingrid-8ocksv/
Thanks for sharing that...I love watching videos on YouTube about Hermits and people who live in isolation and completely off the grid...If I wasn't a family Man I would live like a Hermit in the woods at my cabin...I would love it!...But I would come out of the woods and go into town every once and a while for a nice meal in a restaurant, and to find me a pretty lady companion for the night.:devilish::giggle:

You and everyone needs to see this-highly recommended

If you want to see innocence shine from a person’s eyes, watch this extreme hermitage.
An extreme orthodox Christian who spent her life in the harshness of Sibera.
https://topdocumentaIn 1936, a family of Russian Old Believers journeyed deep into Siberia's vast taiga to escape persecution and protect their way of life. The Lykovs eventually settled in the Sayan Mountains.

Two children were born during the isolation. They ended up in a dwelling in the taiga, in the Abakan river basin (Khakassia), 250 kilometres from any settlement.
In 1978 their location was discovered by a helicopter pilot, who was flying a geological group into the region. The geologists got in contact with the family, but the Lykovs decided not to leave the place.

Karp's wife Akulina died of hunger in 1961. Three of his children died in 1981. Karp died in 1988. He is survived by his daughter Agafia Lykova who continues to live in isolation in her Abakan fastness

.https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/agafia-taiga-life/

Living here for about 30 years now, best move ever for me. Doctors keep telling me to keep doing what I am doing. To me nothing too special. The health benefits are incredible.
Want to see what things are really like to live on your own?? Check out Dick Proenneke , he lived in the Twin Lakes area in Alaska for 30 years. No camera men just him and what some of us would love to do.

Lakeland living >>> I just watched some clips again of Dick Proenneke and can't seem to ever get tired of watching those same video's.
I have a ranch and have built a cabin up in a canyon where everything had to be packed in on foot. I built it myself and had to haul all material up on my back or hand sledded in. I used all hand tools to build it no electric tools used.
It was an interesting refreshing and a person rewarding venture. I was there yesterday for the day with a nice fire in the stove and had a great day. I'm constantly doing small projects to make it better.
It is very secluded and remote only one way in and out. The solitude is very interesting experience.

Last edited:
You and everyone needs to see this-highly recommended

If you want to see innocence shine from a person’s eyes, watch this extreme hermitage.
An extreme orthodox Christian who spent her life in the harshness of Sibera.
https://topdocumentaIn 1936, a family of Russian Old Believers journeyed deep into Siberia's vast taiga to escape persecution and protect their way of life. The Lykovs eventually settled in the Sayan Mountains.

Two children were born during the isolation. They ended up in a dwelling in the taiga, in the Abakan river basin (Khakassia), 250 kilometres from any settlement.
In 1978 their location was discovered by a helicopter pilot, who was flying a geological group into the region. The geologists got in contact with the family, but the Lykovs decided not to leave the place.

Karp's wife Akulina died of hunger in 1961. Three of his children died in 1981. Karp died in 1988. He is survived by his daughter Agafia Lykova who continues to live in isolation in her Abakan fastness

.https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/agafia-taiga-life/
Yes, Agafia lived in even more extreme isolation, but she was small when brought there. she knew no other life and even refused to leave when given the opportunity. Ingrid Gipson was already middle aged when she decided to become isolated, though not as isolated as Agafia. She goes to town for supplies and receives visitors.

Yesterday I watched a documentary on PBS about a former fashion designer, Ingrid Gipson, who left the big city and has been living alone in Arkansas’ rural Ouachita Mountains for 30 years. She's estranged from her two sons and lives entirely off her land, raises her own meat, and has been building her house with rocks and cement. She's also a sculptor and has started selling them recently. She was born in 1940.

I've always thought I'm kind of weird since I love my solitude and although I like humans I want to spend as little time as possible with them. BUT, I live in a city with all its amenities and can call for help if I need it. I would never want to live her lifestyle. Would you?

https://www.pbs.org/video/ingrid-8ocksv/
I will always be reliant on some sort of help but right now I'm isolated enough that people worry about me but, I'm fine. I prefer it this way.

I will always be reliant on some sort of help but right now I'm isolated enough that people worry about me but, I'm fine. I prefer it this way.

I always say ''I like to be among people, but not with people''. I'm a semi-recluse, but like to people watch.

I could never live in total seclusion. It is also very dangerous, you break a hip and you die SLOWLY. It wouldn't be so bad if you die instantly. I read about an old woman here near Tucson who had a house in the boondocks. She fell outside and could not walk and had to have her big dog drag her inside the house so she could phone for help. It took the poor dog two hours to do the deed. When reporters asked her, she said of course she would continue the lifestyle. Some people never learn their lessons. Stay safe!

Three hermits were sitting on their rocks one day when a horseman rode by.

The first hermit yelled across the valley, "DID YOU SEE THAT BLACK HORSE GO BY?"

A year later, one of the other hermits yelled in reply, "THAT WASN'T A BLACK HORSE, IT WAS A BROWN HORSE!"

Two years later, the third hermit yelled, "IF YOU TWO DON'T STOP THAT CONSTANT BICKERING, I'M MOVING OUT!!!"

I always say ''I like to be among people, but not with people''. I'm a semi-recluse, but like to people watch.

I could never live in total seclusion. It is also very dangerous, you break a hip and you die SLOWLY. It wouldn't be so bad if you die instantly. I read about an old woman here near Tucson who had a house in the boondocks. She fell outside and could not walk and had to have her big dog drag her inside the house so she could phone for help. It took the poor dog two hours to do the deed. When reporters asked her, she said of course she would continue the lifestyle. Some people never learn their lessons. Stay safe!
For right now I have to call my 70 something parents a couple times a week or post on social media so they know I'm ok. I occasionally update photos so they know it's me. If I don't answer their call they give me til such and such a time to call back before they have a welfare check done on me. Plus, I informed my employer if I'm ever a no call/no show they better have someone come check on me.

When I was 50, (between marriages,) I took off to Alaska for a year, camped out in my Toyota Forerunner, by myself. (You can shower anywhere). I was going to buy a cabin in the backwoods and hybernate. I can easily live in total seclusion. I wanted rugged and rustic! I met this incredible man though on one of my treks to Alaska and married him. These days ,I'm elderly, in NM but it's pretty solitary here too! Yes, I could easily do that. I'm pretty self-sufficient. My Grandma built her own house and dug her own 50 ft.well in Montana. I guess I take after her.

I guess I wonder how you keep yourself clean living in the wilderness. Where do you use the bathroom, etc. When I see those shows on tv they never address those issues.

It's as easy as falling off a log!

images

Then grab a leaf but be very careful which leaf you choose!

1582619506203.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting! I can't watch it, don't have cable or anything. I found this article about it. Not my cup of tea, I like the comforts of civilization. LOL

https://deadline.com/2020/01/life-below-zero-renewed-and-spinoff-by-nat-geo-1202833479/
I watched it last night. It was interesting how they help each other...even building a communal greenhouse. One woman said she needed firewood and took the chainsaw - cut a good size tree down... I think you can get it on HULU and you tube also if you want to watch it.

My wife and I are relatively anti-social - -outside of our immediate family. They make up our social circle. We need no one else and prefer it this way. Old folks communities and senior centers hold little appeal although I have absolutely no bad feelings about these places, as many people love them.

If our family was more scattered and not as enjoyable as they are, we might feel differently. To each his own - -as they say.

I guess I wonder how you keep yourself clean living in the wilderness. Where do you use the bathroom, etc. When I see those shows on tv they never address those issues.
You buy a couple large plastic tanks and haul water once a month or when needed, pump it into the abode. We did this in Colorado. You need a good pick-up truck!

Back