Football Season

Try this on for lunacy
Cowboys offered Dak Prescott 33 million for one season and/or
105 million for long term contract-lunacy, just lunacy!

I noticed that among the possible rule changes ,
that WILL be discussed at the off season meetings, and considered (not necessarily adopted)
by the NFL for use in the next season, (2020)

is the issue of adding a "Sky Judge" which is a head referee, located someplace where they view all of the tv pictures that we the viewers can already see, so they can tell the field refs, when they should correct their calls.

This has been discussed in the past, but never passed.
I wonder if the way they have been using it in the XFL will influence this passage or not, this time.

It seems to be one of the few things that have worked very well, for the XFL games.

An expert looks at all the angle views available, and can make the correct call very quickly, and relays it directly to the field ref, who explains it to the entire crowds.

Any thoughts, about either the issue itself,
or about whether the NFL will be influenced by how it has worked for the XFL games?

XFL is trying everything possible to entice viewers, some are quite good.
I wonder if the NFL has the ability to accept invitations from 'that junior
league..'
Hopefully
NFL reffs really slow the game trying to get the call right.

I am interested in What did you mean about "invitations" ?
@jerry old
Or was that just a typo?

Right of course, that NFL refs have been very slow, whenever they review anything.
It's gone quickly in the XFL, and they seem to get a lot more calls correctly, too.

supposed to be '...not sure the NFL will accept innovations from this junior league.' not invitations.
The national league in baseball, was the senior league, any alteration the
American league tried to get them to accept was ignored as, 'those upstarts want to tell us how to run a baseball league-really!'

Hmm, there does not appear to be a method to change it, oh well.

supposed to be '...not sure the NFL will accept innovations from this junior league.' not invitations.
The national league in baseball, was the senior league, any alteration the
American league tried to get them to accept was ignored as, 'those upstarts want to tell us how to run a baseball league-really!'

Thanks, Jerry.
That is all interesting, and I see what you are saying.

I did think that word was just a typo, but I couldn't guess it....

innovations in a less professional and less established league...rarely respected or adopted by the other.... Okay, that idea makes sense , and is exactly what i was wondering about.

Today I noticed that the XFL is cancelling the rest of its season, I assume due to the virus concerns....

And, that league says that their players are now allowed (right away) to sign contracts with NFL teams, if they get offers.

And there are about 4 players, likely to get offers.....

Today I noticed that the XFL is cancelling the rest of its season, I assume due to the virus concerns....

And, that league says that their players are now allowed (right away) to sign contracts with NFL teams, if they get offers.

And there are about 4 players, likely to get offers.....

Ha, really? How convenient! That ole virus showed up just in time to save somebody some YUGE embarrassment about a league that never got off the ground.

How is K today? :cool:

Haven't really read any posts since someone told me how to watch football...still have it bookmarked and plan to view it again...best to all! 🥳 🤗 (y)

You'll probably have to wait til August.

Meantime, you could practice "rooting." We've discussed on this thread the challenges many of us have by not knowing the fine art of "rooting".

Although it is not published any more, there are rare copies of "Rooting for Dummies" floating around. They are quite helpful. ;)

You'll probably have to wait til August.

Meantime, you could practice "rooting." We've discussed on this thread the challenges many of us have by not knowing the fine art of "rooting".

Although it is not published any more, there are rare copies of "Rooting for Dummies" floating around. They are quite helpful. ;)
Okay! I will root for us...whoever WE are! :p 😅😂(y)

don't quite to know what to say about the defunct XFL, well the NFL is just
around the corner, so we can root for those millionaires.

would like to see a breakdown of which team has the most millionaires

Last edited:
Okay! I will root for us...whoever WE are! :p 😅😂(y)

Ruthanne: There is an unwritten law around (TBH, I've never understood it) that you MUST root for the team that is the closest geographically to you. That team is what is meant by "we."

The Rooting Police are in plain clothes and comb the stands, looking for people who are rooting for the wrong team. The punishments are quite severe.

Old d
Cute 'punishments are quite severe' especially by the crazies in Philly
or you can go to a Raiders game and get down among those
wild folks, that are in the end zone and root for the opposition.

Then there's those folk in South America that riot and kill each other
I think they got a different book on 'rooting.'

Old d
Cute 'punishments are quite severe' especially by the crazies in Philly
or you can go to a Raiders game and get down among those
wild folks, that are in the end zone and root for the opposition.

Then there's those folk in South America that riot and kill each other
I think they got a different book on 'rooting.'

Haha! :p

@Ruthanne
Welcome, to the only Football thread on the Internet, where we are very happy for you to join us here,
even if you or we know little about football, don't care who wins or loses, and are not watching any games! :)

Friendliest Sports thread on the internet?;)

You are especially welcome, since you are willing to root for anything , and for all of us, as we do root for each other, and for "each other's teams" on this unique "sports" thread. :ROFLMAO:

Very good to see you @Old Dummy (y)
and @jerry old (y)

Oh yes, WHEN we do actually watch any games, Ruthanne, one of the things of interest to us, is what we think of the uniform colors. :sneaky:
Which colors we like or not, is some part of the game we can all comprehend.

have nfl channel, not the games, just yak, yak, gossip, run old football games.
watched (sort') Atlanta lose to pats-that ridiculous come from behind
game.

hall of fame next month I think Cowboys vs Steelers, you know the game
that means nothing. The players primary objective is not to get hurt before spring training begins. Lots of 'soft' tackles' and gentle line play.
but they talk it up as 'game of the year.' Hoke'um,

@Ruthanne
Welcome, to the only Football thread on the Internet, where we are very happy for you to join us here,
even if you or we know little about football, don't care who wins or loses, and are not watching any games! :)

Friendliest Sports thread on the internet?;)

You are especially welcome, since you are willing to root for anything , and for all of us, as we do root for each other, and for "each other's teams" on this unique "sports" thread. :ROFLMAO:

Very good to see you @Old Dummy (y)
and @jerry old (y)

Oh yes, WHEN we do actually watch any games, Ruthanne, one of the things of interest to us, is what we think of the uniform colors. :sneaky:
Which colors we like or not, is some part of the game we can all comprehend.

Good to "see" you K!

Yes I forgot about the uniform colors -- obviously the most important thing and a reason to root or un-root for a particular team.

Ruthanne: You can practice your rooting skills on the image below, so when you go to your first game people will think you're a Professional Rooter.

10992719331358.png

Oh yes, root beer is a very good motivator for all of us. Thanks, OldD.

I am sure that Ruthanne wants to share it with me and with the rest of us, and we all need to hone our rooting skills.
(Consider offering more bottles of it, OldD? :ROFLMAO:)

Go, Red team! 🕺👯‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤾‍♀️

Oops, sorry Jerry.... he hates red uniform teams....
Go, Blue team! Go, White team uniforms!

@Ruthanne ,
I'm sorry I made a mistake in above post, :rolleyes::sneaky: when i was about to collapse for a nap.

I should have welcomed you back, to the thread that You began for us!
:sneaky:(y):)

Hi to Bonnie, also !

Last edited:
Oh yes, root beer is a very good motivator for all of us. Thanks, OldD.

I am sure that Ruthanne wants to share it with me and with the rest of us, and we all need to hone our rooting skills.
(Consider offering more bottles of it, OldD? :ROFLMAO:)

Okay K, here's one for every rooter here no matter their taste:

root-bottles.jpg

Go, Red team! 🕺👯‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤾‍♀️

Oops, sorry Jerry.... he hates red uniform teams....
Go, Blue team! Go, White team uniforms!

This is all well and good, but what if they have red tops and white pants, playing a team with white tops and red pants? Who ya gonna root for then?

Ruthanne, sorry I made a mistake in above post, :rolleyes::sneaky: when i was about to collapse for a nap.

I should have welcomed you back, to the thread that You began for us!
:sneaky:(y):)

Hi to Bonnie, also !

Yes, thanks Ruthanne. :D We've had a lot of fun here.

didn't see (?) old dad's or dad's root beer something (proper name escapes me) like that, expensive used to be sold
as supermarkets in 6-packs 1980-90's, boy was it good, but too high

didn't see (?) old dad's or dad's root beer something (proper name escapes me) like that, expensive used to be sold
as supermarkets in 6-packs 1980-90's, boy was it good, but too high

Yes, I remember "Dad's" (I think) from when I was a kid. My dad loved RB so we usually had some around.

I remember he also made RB one summer -- as he did when he was young himself. As I recall, he got a bottle of extract, mixed with water, sugar, and yeast, bottled it, and put it in the attic for a week or two.

It was NOT alcoholic (my parents didn't drink) although I'm not sure why, cuz mixing sugar and yeast does produce alcohol.

Old D, K, and others
goggled Dad's root beer, you can order 12 bottles for $36.??. that's darn
expensive root beer.
Your in NY, K's in New England, Bonnie is from (Cleveland?) Ruthann location escapes my memory
Question: In the Detroit they had A and W drive ins-carhops...
sold delicious root beer floats -root beer (big mug) and scope of vanilla
ice cream. Good, good, good- you could get brain freeze if you were piggish.
None down in the part of the world (Tx)

topic has nothing to do with football or rooting, I guess you could make
them if you were a tailgate with a freezer.

Last edited:

Back