Football Season

Some old quarterback from Montana has guaranteed his old team will win the super bowl.
I know SF is a good team but I'd like to see Reed's team win it.

I remember when Old Joe was towards the end of his career and they were playing the Bills. The Bills' DE, the famous Bruce Smith, crumpled Old Joe up like a used tissue. I actually felt kinda sorry for him.

I always enjoyed watching Bruce Smith cause trouble for the other team.

- Bruce
eek.gif

feeling 'all better' today: now predictions:

Sf is going to have to prove Gapo can pass, otherwise chief's linebackers and a couple of defensive backs will be creeping to the line of scrimmage to stop niners running game.
If KC has five men (three linebackers and two defensive backs) close to line of scrimmage, sacks and interceptions are a given.

The 49's have a good defensive line to thwart Mahomes; if they run, run, run the ball, limiting Chief's time of possession they can win,
but, Mahomes is on a roll and has three good receivers.

Gapo is going to have to prove he can pass to make the defensive backs play honest..
So be looking for Niners to come out throwing.

pundits state defense wins super bowls, but not those playing against a QB of Mahomes caliber.

We got two weeks to kick it around

(I've quit using capitals, I'm to sorry to push cap key)

Glad you are feeling better enough to write, and post, and to help to enlighten us, Jerry.

Very good insights in the post, and good to know you are doing alright, too.

Editting: I forgot to add, those jokes are so funny, that helped my day as well. :ROFLMAO:

>>drifter said: Some old quarterback from Montana has guaranteed his old team will win the super bowl. I know SF is a good team but I'd like to see Reed's team win it.>>

You seem to have misunderstood Joe Montana's sly humor. What he specifically tweeted was this:

Montana SB 2020 prediction jerseys.jpg
....because, of course, he played for BOTH teams during his career. So he can't lose either way!

Niners HC Shanahan likes a balanced offense. Nonetheless, Garopollo had three games in 2019 in which he threw for over 300 yards - all three were wins (including the 48-46 shootout vs Drew Brees) and in all three he threw for four TDs.

The teams are very evenly matched on offense: SF finished 2019 as #4 ranked, KC was #6.

Also relatively close on defense: overall, SF ended up #1; KC #9. Specifically: against the pass, SF is #1; KC is #8. SF allows 4.5 yds per rushing attempt; KC allows 4.9 yds. SF sacked the QBs 48x; KC 45x.

I didn't follow KC's injury report during 2019. SF's IR wasn't as high as 2018 but they were solidly in the middle of the pack for # of injuries, and what hurt is that those injuries were to key players, including kicker Robbie Gould. SF did not have its first-string defensive line and secondary intact (e.g., uninjured) during 2019 except for the first four games of 2019 and the last three games played (one regular, two playoff).

This is a rare Super Bowl where both teams are as even a match as is possible. The team - and the HC - that makes the least mistakes will win. I would give a slight edge to KC, NOT for Mahomes but because Andy Reid has been to the SB more times than Shanahan as a HC, and that's important with young players.

>>drifter said: Some old quarterback from Montana has guaranteed his old team will win the super bowl. I know SF is a good team but I'd like to see Reed's team win it.>>
Joe Montana was born June 11, 1956, in New Eagle, Pennsylvania. He was selected late in the third round of the 1979 draft by San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh and went on to lead the 49ers to victories in four Super Bowls, including consecutive wins in 1989 and 1990. He joined the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993 before retiring. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2000.
Early Years and College
Football player Joseph Clifford Montana was born on June 11, 1956, in New Eagle, Pennsylvania. A talented multi-sport athlete at Ringgold High School, he was offered a scholarship to play basketball at North Carolina State University before enrolling at the University of Notre Dame to play football.
At one point a seventh-string quarterback for the Fighting Irish, Montana eventually took over the starting job and led the team to the 1977 national championship. After fighting off the flu to spark a comeback win over the University of Houston at the 1979 Cotton Bowl, he was selected in the third round of that year's National Football League draft by the San Francisco 49ers.

Not sure we should even call that one a "game" :rolleyes: Should we? :unsure:
Does the Defense play at all?

I can't blame the players for not wanting to get injured doing it, though, and then being hurt, all offseason.

Maybe we could make a game out of it,
by predicting, beforehand, who we each think will be the MEE of the game,
and then during the game, we could each select who we think should get the honor.

MEE, you ask? The player who exhibits the Most Extreme Ego.
:ROFLMAO:

Don't pivot your neck too much, while watching it, OldD. That might be over-exercising.
o_O;)

Another way we could make a more fun game out of it,
is :
we could put the top 10 most boring sports events, in order from Less (somewhat) boring, to Most boring.

Oh, that might be good for a separate post topic thread,
but where woud I put it? In this Sports section, or Humor, or ???

Not sure we should even call that one a "game" :rolleyes: Should we? :unsure:
Does the Defense play at all?

I can't blame the players for not wanting to get injured doing it, though, and then being hurt, all offseason.

Maybe we could make a game out of it,
by predicting, beforehand, who we each think will be the MEE of the game,
and then during the game, we could each select who we think should get the honor.

MEE, you ask? The player who exhibits the Most Extreme Ego.
:ROFLMAO:

Don't pivot your neck too much, while watching it, OldD. That might be over-exercising.
o_O;)

Yes, I'll be careful with the neck thing.

And how is Kaila tonight?
confused-2.gif

Been off line about 4 days, had electrical storms, knocked out pc and other...
I tried to 'fix it' made it worse; had friend come over today and 'made it all better.'

Super Bowl, I becoming less and less interested, will watch last half for sure.

Someone commented 'playoff games are more interesting than super bowl'
I agree.

Super Bowl has become a 'happening' to much going on, it is just a football game
between the two teams that outlasted the other opponents.

It may be the best teams playing, but there will be another super bowl next year, with
different teams.

Glad you checked in with us, Jerry.
You have all your power back, now?

I agree that I too, am feeling less interested in the Super bowl,
and I have no interest in the surrounding events for that, either.

Probowl game is not AS boring, as I remembered it being.
Close, but not quite.

I think my snow is melting faster than yours, OldD. :sneaky:

Glad you checked in with us, Jerry.
You have all your power back, now?

I agree that I too, am feeling less interested in the Super bowl,
and I have no interest in the surrounding events for that, either.

Probowl game is not AS boring, as I remembered it being.
Close, but not quite.

I think my snow is melting faster than yours, OldD. :sneaky:
Snow, was that Old D that posted picture of backyard with 3 feet or more in backyard?

I think that Russell Wilson, who was named Starting QB,
"won"
when he gave his starter role to older and more accomplished QB Drew Brees, who may or may not retire soon.

Not that Wilson was the MVP. I don't know who got that, as it would have been announced after the game was finished.
:sleep::rolleyes:

Back