Having a major anxiety attack right now,

I used to have anxiety attacks & they are no fun. Actually, they feel just like a heart attack but they are not. My doctor prescribed "Lorazepam" which is a pill to take when you get an attack. These days I seldom get anxiety attacks but do suffer chest pains from anxiety. Not fun either! I find that keeping away from a lot of bad news on the media helps to see a better world. There is just too much news & information our there & you really don't need to hear about all the violence, killings & robberies. Learn to relax & remember what Alfred Newman used to say, "What Me Worry!"

I just saw this thread conversation, @oldal
I wanted to say hello!

My suggestion would be to try to find something else entirely, to occupy yourself with, instead of even trying to sleep when you cannot.

Getting on here and chatting with people is a terrific thing to do.

And maybe there is some computer game, such as the games in our own forum game section,
Or maybe watch something. Anything that could change your mind focus, is what I would try.

I like how honest you are. Life is very difficult at times. There are some nice people here, I notice.

I used to have anxiety attacks & they are no fun. Actually, they feel just like a heart attack but they are not. My doctor prescribed "Lorazepam" which is a pill to take when you get an attack. These days I seldom get anxiety attacks but do suffer chest pains from anxiety. Not fun either! I find that keeping away from a lot of bad news on the media helps to see a better world. There is just too much news & information our there & you really don't need to hear about all the violence, killings & robberies. Learn to relax & remember what Alfred Newman used to say, "What Me Worry!"
I’ve got a lorazepam but rarely use it and couldn’t remember the name of it last night and then forgot about it. It does work good.
I agree with Johns suggestion. Decrease as many stresses in your life as possible. That’s the reason I don’t watch the news. Reading books and watching non violent movies seems to help some

Last edited:
Reading and posting in this thread has got my mind off being alone. I want to thank you all for caring enough to help me through this, it's not entirely gone yet, but the worst is over, and I should be able to sleep.
Oldal, sending you warm thoughts and hoping the anxiety steadily subsides for you. You've had some good advice, try and stay positive and relax if you can. Get your mind off of it, posting here is excellent for you, lots of caring folks to be sure.

In addition to that, use music, TV, etc. as already recommended. You'll get through this, it already sounds favorable, and I think you'll get some sleep tonight too. I have no experience with panic attacks, but I have been very stressed at times, breathe deep, think positive thoughts....our minds are very powerful if we try and lead them in a good direction. 🌷

PS: I agree completely with Keesha, magnesium is very relaxing either with an Epsom Salts bath or a magnesium supplement.

Last edited:
Same thing happens to me when the power goes out. For some reason it gives me a feeling of doom. So sorry you suffer from this. Last time I had to bother a neighbor to help me calm down. I was even thinking of calling 911 if they told me to get lost. Thankfully a lot of people suffer from anxiety so they understand what it is. Just an few minutes hanging out made a big difference.

I’ve got a lorazepam but rarely use it and couldn’t remember the name of it last night and then forgot about it. It does work good.
I agree with Johns suggestion. Decrease as many stresses in your life as possible. That’s the reason I don’t watch the news. Reading books and watching non violent movies seems to help some
Yes, Keesha, I agree. We watched all the 9 years of The Waltons. You know there wasn't one murder there, not one rape, not one bombing, not one suicide. It was so relaxing & it showed the best in people. The news on TV these days shows the worse elements of our society. Just plain folks like you & me will never be on the news. We don't rape, kill nor do we blow up buildings or do mass shootings!

Yes, Keesha, I agree. We watched all the 9 years of The Waltons. You know there wasn't one murder there, not one rape, not one bombing, not one suicide. It was so relaxing & it showed the best in people. The news on TV these days shows the worse elements of our society. Just plain folks like you & me will never be on the news. We don't rape, kill nor do we blow up buildings or do mass shootings!
Bless you Packer - you are so right!

Shows like The Waltons are so innocent & soothing.
My favourite shows are Heartland, Wind at my Back, and Anne with an E ( Anne of Green Gables ), Murdock Mysteries! Murdock mysteries is the only show that has murders but you don’t see anything gruesome at all. Surprisingly they are all Canadian made and normally Canada sucks at television. Our shows are usually so lame but I guess I must like lame. 😅😌

how did you find lorazepan john.......i took them ,in my early days of the menopause....i was prescribed 1mg, but only took a quarter of the tablet.......didnt like this tablet at all !!

I went to 2 different doctors about anxiety attacks & got no hope from them. Then someone told me to see a pharmacist since they know more about drugs & more up to date than most doctors. Sure enough the pharmacist recommended 3 different drugs. So when I returned to the doctor for a prescription; he wrote one out for Lorazepan. Just had an attack last night because of bad, violent TV shows, took Lorazepan & I sleep for 8 hours solid. Attack went away after a few minutes of using the lorazepan

Be careful about using pot. Pot caused my panic attacks, as I bioconcentrated THC in my system. As soon as I gave it up, my panic attacks stopped.

Everyone is different. What works for some, may not work for others. Again, be careful.

That same caveat applies to pharmaceuticals. Listen to your body. Take things slowly.

This is most certainly true . I’ve said this many times, it’s not for everyone. Also strain choice is important. Some people shouldnt use pure sativas. Sativas produce more of a head high whereas pure indica is more of a body high which is best for pain.

I can remember years ago getting some stuff off my friend of 40 some years , which caused all kinds of panic in me. I’d later learned that it was a pure sativa strain which he normally never got. That was my introduction into sativas which unfortunately wasn’t a good one. 😏

Back