How are you dealing with isolation these days?

I am single and live alone and because of a uncorrectable hearing loss I use texting, email and Captioned Phone Calling as my main means of communication.
I am so happy to know that you have a few alternate ways of staying in touch with the world. :)

I had a big trip booked for May/June this year. I was busy getting super fit for it and had bought a new backpack. Well of course it’s all off now and I’m seriously miffed about that. Been in lockdown for months now, can’t see my relatives although we email and phone. Only in the last couple of weeks have I been able to catch up with a couple of friends who live locally. Don’t dare get on a bus or train to go anywhere.

Getting increasingly cheesed off as Wales continues to be treated more harshly than England.
The pronouncement that mass crowd events -define mass crowd-will not be allowed until next year leaves this sport and concert goer with nothing to look forward to at all.My life revolves around rugby,cricket and concerts.I just exist now and don’t like it.
You will be able to get out for a pint in England in a week or so.Not in Wales you won’t where our leader has developed an obsession with shared toilets....

Getting increasingly cheesed off as Wales continues to be treated more harshly than England.
The pronouncement that mass crowd events -define mass crowd-will not be allowed until next year leaves this sport and concert goer with nothing to look forward to at all.My life revolves around rugby,cricket and concerts.I just exist now and don’t like it.
You will be able to get out for a pint in England in a week or so.Not in Wales you won’t where our leader has developed an obsession with shared toilets....
Even tho' I don't drink alcohol, I'm missing the pub a lot , it's a big part of our social life, now that the old image of pubs has gone, and they're really restaurants in all but name.. but in reality I'm missing things like museums, historic buildings and house & Gardens, I'm missing the cricket on the village green at the weekends ..I'm missing the leisure centre for the gym and the pool..

I feel for ya Furry, not being able to enjoy your favourite things, ..even here when they open all the shops next week and the zoos..it's not really going to compensate for other things that aren't open. or the fact we can fly out of the country .. . Granted the pubs opening the following week will be good, but given that no-one is out of the country on holiday when millions would be usually away at this time of the year..and no cinemas or theatres, or anything else open, it leaves just the newly re-opened pub (outside areas only) the only place people can go.. so they're going to be mobbed.. :oops:.. and no fun at all IMO

I'm just not understand ig how Wales can make their own rules about the Lockdown... clearly they are, but how is it being allowed ?.. are the population in agreement with it by and large?

Shared toilets, you can not get it from a toilet unless you don‘t wash your hands. Hmm? 😂

Even tho' I don't drink alcohol, I'm missing the pub a lot , it's a big part of our social life, now that the old image of pubs has gone, and they're really restaurants in all but name.. but in reality I'm missing things like museums, historic buildings and house & Gardens, I'm missing the cricket on the village green at the weekends ..I'm missing the leisure centre for the gym and the pool..

I feel for ya Furry, not being able to enjoy your favourite things, ..even here when they open all the shops next week and the zoos..it's not really going to compensate for other things that aren't open. or the fact we can fly out of the country .. . Granted the pubs opening the following week will be good, but given that no-one is out of the country on holiday when millions would be usually away at this time of the year..and no cinemas or theatres, or anything else open, it leaves just the newly re-opened pub (outside areas only) the only place people can go.. so they're going to be mobbed.. :oops:.. and no fun at all IMO

I'm just not understand ig how Wales can make their own rules about the Lockdown... clearly they are, but how is it being allowed ?.. are the population in agreement with it by and large?
The population are not happy.I have come to the conclusion that Mark Drakeford is doing things differently for the sake of it.He has said he has will not review the five mile travel restriction for perhaps 9 to twelve weeks.He may let ensuite hotels open but you will only be able to stay in them if you live within five miles and with everything still shut who would want do that?
Welsh Zoos are not reopening,non essential shops are going to have pass some very strict tests before they can reopen.Perhaps allowed after the next review.
Anyones guess when a pub will be open.
There was a vague hint that the tourist industry may have some good news later in the Summer at todays press conference.
But under devolved powersthe Welsh Assembly can do this.
I talk to someone in Scotland where the Scottish Parliament also has devolved powers for this.Exactly the same there.We are both tearing our hair out.And at the moment i am looking like a sixties hippy.With no prospect of a haircut for who knows how long.
And with no public toilets open you cannot stay out too long anyway.But i have decided i have to get out of Cwmbran so i am going to visit Newport and Caerleon next week just for the hell of it.
At least we haven’t followed England by making masks compulsory on Public Transport.
During Covid we are definitely not a United Kingdom!

Trying to think more positive about the situation. There IS a promising vaccine in the making that has been tested on monkeys and worked and now being tested on humans. It may be out by Sept. I keep thinking this really has promise to the world. Scientists are working on cures, medicines, vaccines and this all means they are going to come up with something that will work..sometime..

I can't live in this fear all the time (of going to clinics) and I am going to set some goals for myself to get to my healthcare needs as soon as I can. The first thing I will do is get my lab work done. It's important and I need to to secure my future needs medicinally and physically to ensure I will be alright.

I am continually doing the things I need to in order to stay safe and protect myself and the pet family. Washing hands, distancing, staying home and away from groups of people offline. So I will congratulate myself for staying alive so far for over 2 mos. of this pandemic. That is since we knew it was so bad.

It does no good to worry and fret constantly, only invites anguish and poor mental health.

Things are going to get better for us all! We will laugh, learn, love and thrive!! 💗 :coffee:🐶🐤🐦
Thank you Ruthanne...

FOMO has been replaced with FOGO (fear of going out). I am not in isolation and do my best to cope with the new normal. I miss our regular family gatherings at least once a month. We have to catch up on each other's life ~ ups, downs and the in betweens. Coming from a huge clan, there's always something to celebrate or mourn. That's life.

I'll just go with the flow, I am where I need to be to learn and grow.

Thank you Ruthanne...I have been living alone most of my life, but this is worse. The few pleasures I had are now very questionable or gone because everything is canceled. And I went out a lot, constantly to concerts and other events and places. I could move to another state but I am not sure. it is wise. I am the only one I know that went out regularly for fun...everyone else stays home, even before all of this happened. So a great many people are really not missing recreational activity. The public library is only open in the lobby, and I use academic libraries that are closed. What's the point of vacation now, if I cant even dine out (except outside) and go where I want? .
People say they want someone to talk to...but who wants to listen? Has to be the right person at the right time and place and they will not understand or be interested.. Some people talk trivia and others, you have to dig it out from them, like every word cost $1.00.
July 1 many business should start opening again in US. Be brave...go out.

People say they want someone to talk to...but who wants to listen? Has to be the right person at the right time and place and they will not understand or be interested.. Some people talk trivia and others, you have to dig it out from them, like every word cost $1.00.
July 1 many business should start opening again in US. Be brave...go out.
Maybe you're just too picky with people you like to talk to? In this forum, there's a lot of women who have all the time to chat and listen and they're not just ANY woman but top quality seniors with lots of gray matter between their ears. Their input would be worth more than a dollar.

My job requires me to be out in the field, I take the neccessary precautions and leave the rest to my Creator. I deal with the cards the best way I know how.

June 16th update: I find myself wishing that we were still in total lockdown. The people have stopped wearing masks, stopped social distancing, stopped being courteous. After the three occasions that I had to go out, I've had enough. Other folks are making me nervous! Back into my shell, I go!

Shared toilets, you can not get it from a toilet unless you don‘t wash your hands. Hmm? 😂

The problem with shared toilets is not the toilet but the air in the small enclosed space. The issue is that enough of the virus may linger in the air long enough after an contagious, infected person uses the facilities for it to be picked up by someone else. I believe when they put out an assessment of the risks of public areas here it was considered to be a medium risk.

I've also seen another report that if one flushes a toilet without closing the lid or one that doesn't have a lid there's a chance that can launch enough virus into the air in the stall or washroom to make it possible to be infected by the virus.

We've had a close very cautious friend who we trust over to our back yard and kept 10 feet or more apart during his visit. We've also been over to my son and daughter-in-laws place several times because my wife has been watching their new son (our first grandchild) and I've been helping them with work around the house. We've been doing a lot of work on our house and yard recently and that's kept me busy and interested. I also work so I'm doing that around 8 hours a day during the week.

We're going to be going camping for a couple of days up at Lake Tahoe because California has opened their state parks for camping. Camping has also been rated as a low risk activity. We'll be sure to mask up and be extra safe whenever we have to use the public facilities (we have a tent, not an RV) and also will be doing most of our shopping here for food and drink while on our trip.

My sympathies, Patros. It must be very frustrating to have to cancel a long-planned trip.

I'm coping OK, have a lot to keep me busy and amused, and go out once a day for a walk if nothing else, but I hate doing without all the social activities I love (bridge, scrabble, rummicub, Democratic Club, two theater groups). I didn't realize how important all this socializing was to me until I had to do without.

But a high point of my life is Zoom. Our family just had our usual Friday zoom meeting. We also meet on Tuesdays. We live all over the place, so it's a marvelous way to keep in touch.

June 16th update: I find myself wishing that we were still in total lockdown. The people have stopped wearing masks, stopped social distancing, stopped being courteous. After the three occasions that I had to go out, I've had enough. Other folks are making me nervous! Back into my shell, I go!
stopped being courteous how?

The problem with shared toilets is not the toilet but the air in the small enclosed space. The issue is that enough of the virus may linger in the air long enough after an contagious, infected person uses the facilities for it to be picked up by someone else. I believe when they put out an assessment of the risks of public areas here it was considered to be a medium risk.

I've also seen another report that if one flushes a toilet without closing the lid or one that doesn't have a lid there's a chance that can launch enough virus into the air in the stall or washroom to make it possible to be infected by the virus.
sounds like a job for Depends.

stopped being courteous how?
A 30ish, very well-dressed but maskless woman dashed in front of me (little old masked lady) and then literally pushed aside an even older and crippled lady who was standing in the doorway trying to balance with her cane and adjust her mask before entering the drugstore. The young vigorous lady was obviously more important than either of us little old ladies who were just trying to stay safe. She really pissed me off!

A 30ish, very well-dressed but maskless woman dashed in front of me (little old masked lady) and then literally pushed aside an even older and crippled lady who was standing in the doorway trying to balance with her cane and adjust her mask before entering the drugstore. The young vigorous lady was obviously more important than either of us little old ladies who were just trying to stay safe. She really pissed me off!
people are just rude. i haven't had that specific thing happen to me yet. however, i have noticed in the stores that no one will let anyone else pass hardly. they just walk wherever and right out in front of people. even the other old ladies. did either of you get hurt?

Hubby & I been under stay-at-home since March 13th, so nearly 100 days. I don't miss shopping, restaurants, malls, or even vacationing as much as I miss close human contact.

We chat with neighbors from across the yard, zoom with friends and relatives, text, call, Facebook, and remain connected however we can.

Our daughter's family is remaining isolated and vigilant so we see them once a week while doing our best to maintain social distance. That ease will change when they return to school in early August.

Our sons' work situations already preclude us from frequent contact. We need masks and much greater physical distancing when seeing them.

When I read projections that this is likely last into the holidays my heart sinks.

Hubby & I been under stay-at-home since March 13th, so nearly 100 days. I don't miss shopping, restaurants, malls, or even vacationing as much as I miss close human contact.

We chat with neighbors from across the yard, zoom with friends and relatives, text, call, Facebook, and remain connected however we can.

Our daughter's family is remaining isolated and vigilant so we see them once a week while doing our best to maintain social distance. That ease will change when they return to school in early August.

Our sons' work situations already preclude us from frequent contact. We need masks and much greater physical distancing when seeing them.

When I read projections that this is likely last into the holidays my heart sinks.
We've been under stay at home since March here too. I don't dare go near my parents house because we are still getting cases of COVID where I work. Recently one of the women who works on the psyche unit was in contact with someone with COVID so, she's currently under quarantine. So never knowing for sure if any of us have come into contact with it we decided it was safer for me to stay away. Since I'm in healthcare it makes it more dangerous for my folks if I go visit when we've got stuff working through the facility. They are too frail and end up hospitalized whenever they get the flu.

Back