How does a person live alone and not get lonely?

As to the churches, although the friend I mentioned above in that hopeless small town does happen to be a Christian, the only churches in her town number 3: one Catholic church (she does not care for Catholicism) and the other 2 are extreme fundamentalist (not her cuppa tea either). So she worships alone. I knew someone else who used to live there and said that the people who went to all 3 of those churches were the craziest, meanest in town. I think that happens a lot in towns small enough--maybe not in Minnesota but there are a whole lot of other rural small town in states other than Minn. here in this country with a whole lot of problems.

It is true that all too often these evangelical type churches succumb to a form of political radical extremism which has absolutely no basis in Christianity or biblical teaching. But prejudice such as anti-Catholicism is something they do and she should not allow herself to succumb to this problem. Many progressive churches today engage in online worship and perhaps she may consider doing something like that: https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...rome..69i57.6982j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wish your friend the very best.

It is true that all too often these evangelical type churches succumb to a form of political radical extremism which has absolutely no basis in Christianity or biblical teaching. But prejudice such as anti-Catholicism is something they do and she should not allow herself to succumb to this problem. Many progressive churches today engage in online worship and perhaps she may consider doing something like that: https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...rome..69i57.6982j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wish your friend the very best.
Thanks but I don't think she's prejudiced, not any more than other non-Catholic Christians. Many Christians do not believe in at least some of the basics of the Catholic faith (Luther and Calvin spring to mind).

I agree, Oldie. There are always groups to join, friends to spend time with (harder than it used to be, but we can still do it with a mask on), volunteer work, sports, etc. And at the end of those activities, it feels kind of good to come back to the silence and privacy of my own home. We are only as "alone" as we want to be.
try living out in a tiny village , in the rural countryside where there's nothing but fields ..and then say there's always plenty of groups to join, sports, or volunteer work, .it's just not true...

On the contrary, loneliness is most certainly not self-imposed, for instance, on shut-ins or the elderly who can no longer drive and are dependent on others to come to them, said others, whether you're talking about relatives (since people are having fewer and fewer kids) or volunteer or hired government assistance workers, becoming scarce due to both Covid and the too-low pay for such hard, heartbreaking work.

And a lot of the activities that have been mentioned above that one can get out and do, volunteering, etc. are just not available in some of the smaller towns. I know someone, for instance who lives in a small enough town that there are literally no volunteer opportunities, no even part-time jobs (seriously; very few places are still open), no clubs of any kind, nothing to do but go drink in a bar (which is not her cuppa tea). Oh, okay, you might say, "Move to somewhere better." Not an option due to her husband's job and the lack of affordable places to live in the nearest larger town, which is an hour away. And no, her husband should not quit his job so they could move; he's been there so long now that he'd be ruining his retirement and he's too old to get something just as good.

So, no, loneliness is not always self-imposed; it simply is not. (You know, there are so many people here in the U.S--and probably other countries too--who just don't realize what life is UNvoluntarily like for too many other people in this country, people for whom the standard advice is unusable.
oops sorry, didn't see this before I posted... but I couldn't agree more ....

I agree, Oldie. There are always groups to join, friends to spend time with (harder than it used to be, but we can still do it with a mask on), volunteer work, sports, etc. And at the end of those activities, it feels kind of good to come back to the silence and privacy of my own home. We are only as "alone" as we want to be.

Truer words were never spoken.

I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone.

Robin Williams
Robin Williams was bi polar and in spite of being such a funny comedian he was tormented inside. This statement makes me wonder, I hope that he was not referring to his family because by all accounts they were very supportive.

Robin was wrong. If he wound up with people who made him feel alone he had the material means to ............ leave. And that goes for most people. Alone is alone. There's no comparison to being alone with people. Outrageous complaint, meaningless, not the same, not at all.
Yes he could leave but his feelings leave with him. Just because he had money does not mean that he would be happier anywhere else. You can't turn it off , I do not agree that it is an outrageous complaint, he dealt every day with conflicting emotions. Life is not so straight forward for those who are bi polar.

Yes he could leave but his feelings leave with him. Just because he had money does not mean that he would be happier anywhere else. You can't turn it off , I do not agree that it is an outrageous complaint, he dealt every day with conflicting emotions. Life is not so straight forward for those who are bi polar.
I agree, and often it is not very straightforward for many who aren’t bipolar.

Whether you love being a wall flower or "the life of the party" Covid 19 certainly has put a damper on our society. During my morning walk I came across a photo album of the good people living up on the 4th floor of my apartment complex. It showed people sitting together, laughing together and having a drink together. Seems to me like another world when I look around here and see how life is now. It's as different as night and day. No comparison really!

Whether you love being a wall flower or "the life of the party" Covid 19 certainly has put a damper on our society. During my morning walk I came across a photo album of the good people living up on the 4th floor of my apartment complex. It showed people sitting together, laughing together and having a drink together. Seems to me like another world when I look around here and see how life is now. It's as different as night and day. No comparison really!

might I suggest teleconferencing ? :)

This is a very interesting thread with a wide variety of observations, the majority of which strike me as valid for specific people. The early Greek Philosophers (Plato and Socrates) cautioned us against taking a single case such as how any specific individual deals with a subject such as loneliness and trying to apply it to the general broader situation across society as a whole. Some people do very well alone, others need to be closely connected. It just depends on the person.

There were a number of posts that were off-the-cuff and rather short sighted and some those struck me as being a bit destructive. The reaction to therapy in dealing with loneliness stands out as the most misguided. I have never been in therapy myself, but as a senior Naval Officer I have sent numerous male and female sailors to therapy for a wide range of issues. One of the issues being loneliness where therapy helped often enough that it was always worth my time and effort to do this. Isolation from distant family, and divorce were the most common. So, the use of therapy to help people deal with loneliness is definitely not BS.

Sadly, feelings of loneliness are sometimes traits of the introvert and like someone said, We are only as "alone" as we want to be. But people who have never been lonely don’t understand when their answer to loneliness is easy - just get off your butt and join this or join that. It’s not that easy though, it’s okay for the extravert who loves people, they can fit in anywhere, but not all of us are that lucky.

Last edited:
loneliness…I live with two other people..my daughter and her husband…I of course love my daughter and her husband is ok…I am lonely…I no longer have close friends my age to chat with…my daughter has no interests in my choice of reading..my beliefs…one can be lonely in a house full of people…

This thread makes me feel uncomfortable. I have no children, therefore there's no grandchildren or great grandchildren, yet I have numerous friends, dear friends, some of whom would give me their last penny if I was in financial trouble. And then I read here of members who feel almost abandoned by their own family.

What an indictment on today's generation. There's a couple that we know, who are generous to a fault, yet the way that their five adult children treat them, it's no surprise to us when this loving and lovely couple say that, given their time over again, they would think, long and hard, about starting a family. That is so sad.

This thread makes me feel uncomfortable. I have no children, therefore there's no grandchildren or great grandchildren, yet I have numerous friends, dear friends, some of whom would give me their last penny if I was in financial trouble. And then I read here of members who feel almost abandoned by their own family.

What an indictment on today's generation. There's a couple that we know, who are generous to a fault, yet the way that their five adult children treat them, it's no surprise to us when this loving and lovely couple say that, given their time over again, they would think, long and hard, about starting a family. That is so sad.
:cry:

Back