I dislike the highjacking of our language.

Sadly the British have become a load of sheep. They have lost all pride and self-respect....but I suppose that's another subject.

2B or not 2B

I just want 2B
I don’t want to come
Or even to go back
I’m happy being stationary
I just want 2B

I know you like to strive
Reach for the moon – you can!
But frankly Josephine my dear
I don’t give a damn
I just want 2B

I just want 2B
Because I know I can
It’s so relaxing being here
I just want 2B

So please don’t bother me
Go on and strive and win
I’ll still be here when you call by
I just want 2B
sa

© gumbud

2B or not 2B

I just want 2B
I don’t want to come
Or even to go back
I’m happy being stationary
I just want 2B

I know you like to strive
Reach for the moon – you can!
But frankly Josephine my dear
I don’t give a damn
I just want 2B

I just want 2B
Because I know I can
It’s so relaxing being here
I just want 2B

So please don’t bother me
Go on and strive and win
I’ll still be here when you call by
I just want 2B
sa

© gumbud

Reading your "Poem" now whilst listening to Charlie Drake's "My Boomerang Won't Come Back". 2B or Not 2B! :D

Last edited:
I got a surprise a few weeks ago when I talked to my remote control to see if the Dick Van Dyke show's episodes were on and what channel. As soon as I said the name the remote replied that they do not accept that kind of language. I wonder what I would have to call the show that would be acceptable.

With new inventions part of our life, language is bound to change to accomodate them. However, I think AZJim is referring to the meaning of words changing , which can be very confusing. Here in Britain, there are more and more Americanisms creeping into the language, and I often don't know what they mean. It can also cause mis-understandings. 'Knock-up' for instance doesn't have the same meaning here as in America. I'm still not sure what a 'no-brainer' (sounds like someone lacking in intelligence) is...and what is 'second guessing'?

With new inventions part of our life, language is bound to change to accomodate them. However, I think AZJim is referring to the meaning of words changing , which can be very confusing. Here in Britain, there are more and more Americanisms creeping into the language, and I often don't know what they mean. It can also cause mis-understandings. 'Knock-up' for instance doesn't have the same meaning here as in America. I'm still not sure what a 'no-brainer' (sounds like someone lacking in intelligence) is...and what is 'second guessing'?
no brainer refers to something that everyone should know without even taxing their brain; second guessing means to make predictions based solely on guesswork. Of course knock up means to impregnant.

no brainer refers to something that everyone should know without even taxing their brain; second guessing means to make predictions based solely on guesswork. Of course knock up means to impregnant.
Thanks....I actually thought second guessing was having second thoughts after making a decision.

It is often used in that context; to "re-evaluate" something that happened in the past.
Yes, and the re-evaluation is mostly based on our guesswork of what we fear might happen because of our decision (ha, ha, kind of like - oh crap, I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm afraid it will turn out all wrong).

What about Tits...Jugs...😄

A well known international Makeup and cosmetic company took the Gay out of Gay Whisper face powder:rolleyes:

I have no time for the Politically Correct Brigade that hold sway here in the UK.

Re names of parts of the human anatomy: I can name a few but will refrain for the sake of decency 😆...where is that zip lip smiley?!!😁

Vernacular
Vernacular changes very slowly, primarily because old folks
look askance at young people that use modern terms.
"Hot baby hot," will result in a questioning look and a turning away.
A rebuke by these patriarchs is usually enough for the young
person to modify his speech.
That's how the language is keep 'pure,' in ranching and farming
areas.
Country folks do not care for any type of altercation in their speech. Phrases their not familiar with, mark the speaker
as an 'outsider.' 'Probably one on them damn hippies.'

A sales pitch not in colloquial or vernacular will result in 'no sale'.
(That boy needs to get a'holt of himself.'
'Yep, 'spect he ought'a go on back home.')

Back