I Value Correct Spelling And Grammar

or my particular annoyance is Of instead of Have.....
One of mine, too. "Of" is NOT a verb.

"I could of left" <= where is the verb?
"I could have left."

As to communication, we all can make mistakes in writing, but correct grammar and spelling IS communication that is less likely to be misconstrued. But, oh well.

I notice you gave me a thumbs up, which indicates that you are a good sport, like every other Aussie I've ever met. Welcome to SF and I look forward to your contributions!
Thank you for welcoming me here.
I thank everyone who responds to my posts because they are interacting with me. They are offering advice and insight.
My acknowledgement shows them that I did view their post, I did take their post onboard and it shows that I don't sweat the small stuff.
My initial post was sort of tongue in cheek because I realise the the English language is fraught with inconsistencies and unless one really studies the language then most people are going to slip up Periodically.😁

I do the best I can but things seem to be getting worse.

Some days I feel like even my phone is turning against me. I have to read, reread, and edit every post I make in an effort to correct both of our mistakes.

IMO communication and understanding are more important than proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Spellcheck applications do make it so much easier. Far from making us lazy it simply speeds up our proofreading by highlighting the errors.

My initial post was sort of tongue in cheek because I realise the the English language is fraught with inconsistencies and unless one really studies the language then most people are going to slip up Periodically.😁
This gets us when we watch British TV shows and movies. Sometimes we're just missing definitions (we go look them up in a British dictionary). But it's not as fast as watching something in American English.

@Bretrick I was put ahead in grade school. I tested very high in visual-spatial, and math. I scored about the "D" level in languge and comprehension. In the Accelerated Learning Class in did well in those things but did terrible in grammar and speed reading. The point is I have a terrible time with the English language. So I need a pass with you...I am afraid any response I have will be annoying to you.?
Now I am going to be self- conscious and hestitant to be myself here. :cry: :ROFLMAO:
Far from being annoying, I value our interaction.
My post was more tongue in cheek and meant , in part, as a way to introduce myself here and to also enable members to interact with each other.
Objective achieved I think. This is the 79th response to my thread.
I too skipped a class in Primary School, though it was so long ago I do not recall which one I skipped. Most likely grade 3 or 4.
I am sure it was after the Moon landing.
Anyway, as smart as the teachers thought I was, things went down hill over the coming years with a bad home situation, I struggled with schooling for the rest of the time I was there.
But here I am, about to turn 60. Most of those years have been forgotten and I have plundered through life knowing that eventually all will be revealed. All one has to do is be receptive to what is revealed. Believe me, I am receptive to the wonders of this world and am finally finding contentment with my lot in life.
I strayed a bit there from the gist of this post but what does it matter?
Thank you for contributing to my post and I wish you a wonderful day.

Last edited:
I majored in English, Bretrick, so I feel your pain. My pet peeve is when people leave out commas and periods in a long post. It just runs on and on and the whole post makes no sense whatsoever.
So true. Trying to read those posts is rather difficult and I sometimes lose my way with them.
Which leads me to give up on trying to read them.

well, well, well the erudite have come among us-again.
im supposing we should tell him communication in writing, speaking are the ingredients of communication

wondering did he ever attend a faculty tea where alleged highbrows spewed cerebral poo, meaning nothing-wonder?

squiggles and smirks are important-when learning how it's done.

here's a bunch of THEM squiggles ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, .......................... ??????????? and a supply of words which can be used to corrects folks squiggles:
I"""""ts me, it be i IT BE US him her usings
there are books on various languages, called grammer that show us how to do this proper like

wonder does he pace the floor at nights worrying about splitting his infinitives-i know i do :cautious:

Last edited:
That's always thrown me.

I've always considered it's showed ownership, only.

Not until recently did I find out it's was in place of it is or it has

Soooooo, where does its go?
Ownership?
My spellchecker has heebie jeebies over its and it's, but it's easy enough Gary when you know where the apostrophe is used:
"Its" refers to the possessive form of the pronoun "it." For example, when referring to a pair of shoes, you might say, "That's not its box." Meanwhile, "it's" is the contraction for the words "it is" or "it has." For example, "It's (it is) going to be a fabulous night" or "It's (it has) been a fabulous night."
Has anyone noticed how punctuation that should be inside parenthesis often remain outside, (usually a full stop).
There is a trend of late to start a sentence with a conjunction. How often do you see a sentence like this:
"So, there I was, phone in hand, not paying attention........" The word 'so' is a conjunction, meaning a joining word, starting a sentence with a conjunction is poor grammar.
My English teacher was a stickler for grammar, using the word no instead of any would get you marked down. For example:
"I don't want no pudding." Technically speaking, since two negatives cancel each other out, saying, "I don't want no pudding" means that you do want pudding. Instead, the sentence should read, "I don't want pudding" or, "I don't want any pudding."
There was a temptation to end with, so now you know, to see if you are all paying attention at the back. Remember, never start a sentence with a conjunction.

Remember, never start a sentence with a conjunction.

My English teacher was a stickler for grammar, using the word no instead of any would get you marked down. For example:
"I don't want no pudding." Technically speaking, since two negatives cancel each other out, saying, "I don't want no pudding" means that you do want pudding. Instead, the sentence should read, "I don't want pudding" or, "I don't want any pudding."
Well, I appreciate the effort, @horseless carriage, but for me, it don't make no never mind

PS0CR6E.png

I often had to read much technology and science during my career, and write test procedures and documents others could follow. So my vocabulary, spelling, and grammar is not only strong but I have a compulsive habit to edit and correct most mistakes or vagueness I later notice in my web posts. That noted, it does not bother me or slow me down reading others informal web written mistakes.

My problem is i used to teach in Primary Schools teaching English every day..so i spot a spelling error or grammatical mistake a mile off.
I let them pass.
I know i have got sloppy since i stopped teaching...i don’t care.
And spell checker seems to want to put ‘s in all the time even when it’s wrong ;).
Now if i could just cure myself of thinking a word then writing the next one,or actually bothering to proofread what i’ve just written i might get somewhere.
I do get bothered when my Ukrainian friend uses English words i have never heard of...but that is another matter entirely :D.
I note that you don't capitalise the first person pronoun "I". Why not?

Good point! I'm noticing also how badly some articles are written, and I think they are paying freelancers from other countries to write those articles. If an article or essay is badly written, it makes me, the reader, sit back and wonder about the validity of the article in the first place.
I have to disagree. I find professional writers from other countries, by which I take it that you mean non English speaking countries, usually write in meticulously perfect English.

For my part, I am a bit obstinate about always using UK spelling, even on a US forum. I refuse to use jail for gaol and I use the suffix -ise all the time instead of -ize. US English has been colonising Australian English for decades and I know that I am fighting a losing battle, but I am declaring my roots by using my chosen spelling.

I find professional writers from other countries, by which I take it that you mean non English speaking countries, usually write in meticulously perfect English.
It's been my experience too. I am an engineer and as I got older I reviewed more engineering reports and wrote fewer. Engineers do not generally write very well, however I found most immigrant engineers from non-English speaking countries wrote a lot better than most native American engineers. I believe it is because they carefully studied English and learned things correctly. Us Mericans just assume we knows...

Back