I Value Correct Spelling And Grammar

I often had to read much technology and science during my career, and write test procedures and documents others could follow. So my vocabulary, spelling, and grammar is not only strong but I have a compulsive habit to edit and correct most mistakes or vagueness I later notice in my web posts. That noted, it does not bother me or slow me down reading others informal web written mistakes.
I hate it when I post something with errors that I should have picked up. Sometimes they are the result of faulty editing where I have left a word in that should have been deleted or left out a word that should have been inserted. Sometimes I've made a genuine spelling mistake, sometimes it is just because I'm a lousy typist. When I see my own errors I am driven to correct them. Can't get over the lessons learned as a teen but the only time I want to correct the mistakes of others is when they are made by professional signwriters. No excuse for that. A pocket dictionary would avoid these errors.

Grammar and punctuation in light reading such as on this forum does not worry me. Actually there are a couple or more of posters whose posts are so incorrect, but so funny, I love reading them! BUT, I must say, in any type of writing I like paragraphs. Love them so much that when I see a a long post without proper paragraphs, I do not read them.

As a Pedant I am easily riled by those in the community who have no idea about the correct use of Apostrophes.
Did they not learn about Apostrophes?
The rules concerning the use of apostrophes in written English are very simple:

They are used to denote a missing letter or letters, for example:
I can't instead of I cannot
I don't instead of I do not
it's instead of it is or it has

They are used to denote possession, for example:
the dog's bone
the company's logo
Jones's bakery (but Joneses' bakery if owned by more than one Jones)

Apostrophes are NEVER ever used to denote plurals! Common examples of such abuse are:
Banana's for sale which of course should read Bananas for sale
Menu's printed to order which should read Menus printed to order
1000's of bargains here! which should read 1000s of bargains here!
New CD's just in! which should read New CDs just in!

Let's raise the standard of written correspondence and show that we are all cognisant of the English Language. 🙂
Can't say I've ever seen them used to denote plurals

As a Pedant I am easily riled by those in the community who have no idea about the correct use of Apostrophes.
Did they not learn about Apostrophes?
The rules concerning the use of apostrophes in written English are very simple:

They are used to denote a missing letter or letters, for example:
I can't instead of I cannot
I don't instead of I do not
it's instead of it is or it has

They are used to denote possession, for example:
the dog's bone
the company's logo
Jones's bakery (but Joneses' bakery if owned by more than one Jones)

Apostrophes are NEVER ever used to denote plurals! Common examples of such abuse are:
Banana's for sale which of course should read Bananas for sale
Menu's printed to order which should read Menus printed to order
1000's of bargains here! which should read 1000s of bargains here!
New CD's just in! which should read New CDs just in!

Let's raise the standard of written correspondence and show that we are all cognisant of the English Language. 🙂
I'm speechless.

Editorial :

Fake News Invader hits the Senior Forum

A new member has posted a fake post on the Senior Forum. Disguised as a complaint about how horrible the grammar and punctuation is in the majority of the members posts. He even admits he did it to arouse people into responding to him. He baited the forum by a false motive, to fulfill some narcissistic craving for attention. Never has such a diabolical thing happened on the mild mannered Forum. Now that he got most members attention by acting as some kind of nasty school teacher when we young and vulnerable, he has given us an "F" just to force them to doubt themselve's and give up their freedom to bend to his will.
He has been exposed now as one who only wants to mess with their lives. He needs to severely punished for this. What the members have proposed is that he is banished from Perth and then send into the bush for a month ( with no internet ). This will take about $300 to set up. There is a donate link below. Please donate as soon as possible so this human virus can be dealt with.

index.jpg

It's not nice to play with Mother Nature...it always bats last. o_O

Editorial :

Fake News Invader hits the Senior Forum

A new member has posted a fake post on the Senior Forum. Disguised as a complaint about how horrible the grammar and punctuation is in the majority of the members posts. He even admits he did it to arouse people into responding to him. He baited the forum by a false motive, to fulfill some narcissistic craving for attention. Never has such a diabolical thing happened on the mild mannered Forum. Now that he got most members attention by acting as some kind of nasty school teacher when we young and vulnerable, he has given us an "F" just to force them to doubt themselve's and give up their freedom to bend to his will.
He has been exposed now as one who only wants to mess with their lives. He needs to severely punished for this. What the members have proposed is that he is banished from Perth and then send into the bush for a month ( with no internet ). This will take about $300 to set up. There is a donate link below. Please donate as soon as possible so this human virus can be dealt with.

View attachment 191479

It's not nice to play with Mother Nature...it always bats last. o_O
My retirement dream is to live deep in the bush away from the hoi polloi.
Can you arrange for me to be sent to the Dryandra Woodlands where I can spend my time Photographing the very elusive and endangered Numbat?

I give a pass most of the time when I encounter bad grammar, incorrect spelling, and malapropisms. What I can't stomach is people with strong opinions that aren't based on evidence or logic.

Society these days is divided into two categories: those whose beliefs are based on reality and those whose aren't, which is why we're so polarized and why we're unable to engage in civil discourse with those who disagree with us. When you can't even agree on facts, it's impossible to come to a consensus.

I often had to read much technology and science during my career, and write test procedures and documents others could follow. So my vocabulary, spelling, and grammar is not only strong but I have a compulsive habit to edit and correct most mistakes or vagueness I later notice in my web posts. That noted, it does not bother me or slow me down reading others informal web written mistakes.
You bring a refreshing attitude to the discussion, David. Thank you.
I think that, among senior friends, in a non-classroom setting, it is more important to be able to overlook a mistake in one's writing, as an act of graciousness. A crude treasure map can be just as valuable as a beautiful one....maybe more so.

Last edited:
You bring a refreshing attitude to the discussion, David. Thank you.
I think that, among senior friends, in a non-classroom setting, it is more important to be able to overlook a mistake in one's writing, as an act of graciousness. A crude treasure map can be as valuable as a beautiful one....maybe more so.
agreed-will-ferrell.gif

For those with the courage, you will discover gross grammatical errors in Shakespeare's writing. How could the Bard of Avon, someone we are taught to revere as semi-divine, have not known how to compare adjectives? For us, there really is no excuse for writing "more strong," "more strange," and "more sweet" in some plays and "more fitter," "more corrupter," and "most poorest" in others.

How can we ever forgive him for not knowing the distinction between "who" and "whom": "Who wouldst thou serve?"; "To who, my lord?" (King Lear l.iv.24, V.iii. 249); "Who does he accuse?" (Antony and Cleopatra Ill.vi.23). If left to our own devices, of course, we still tend to begin questions with "who," whether it is correct or not. For pity's sake, we expect more of Shakespeare, anyone seeking perfection from our most famous writer, this disappointment may be "the most unkindest cut of all"!

Back