If you live alone, do you still do basic cooking

Sure, But it's much more flexible and sometimes unconventional. For instance, sometimes I feel like having my "big meal" for lunch instead of dinner, so why not? Then, for dinner I just have yogurt and fruit, or soup, something that sounds more like lunch. I have only myself to please.

I love a nice big breakfast, so I have that nearly every morning. I do make use of some of the Stouffers frozen meals, but not every day.

Yep!; I do basic cooking... got an inexpensive airfryer from wallymart (surprise present to myself, on sale) last fall to reduce the level of fat in my diet and speed up frying things.

Tater tots are now my go to fast food potato like substance (got rid of the hot oil in a pot for french fries).
Cheap chicken egg rolls (frozen; nuke for 1.5 minutes to thaw, then into the airfryer with the tater tots) ; a quick and easy small lunch.
Tyson lightly breaded breast strips (frozen, thaw in the microwave; then airfry until done).
The airfryer is the best way so far to reheat pizza (either delivery or frozen)
I do an enhanced, w/additional toppings, frozen pizza about every 2-3 weeks or so.

Had a taste for pancakes so I made some from scratch the other day (quick easy)... mine are more like a stack of crepes (thin).
I regularly bake brownies from box mixes (on sale) during the colder months.
I sometimes bake shortcake when I feel the need for sweetness... (short bread recipe + vanilla + sugar with sprinkled sugar & cinnamon (moisten with sprayer then bake) top crust).
A pan fried egg sandwich (sometimes with toasted melted cheese sometimes without) is one of my quickie hot lunch sandwich alternatives.
Omelets (the more extra stuff the better) are relatively quick and easy.
(Thought; haven't made cornbread in a while-need to check the cupbord for ingredients...)

...making myself hungry... going to stop now...

Enjoy!

The progression from fried egg to cooking often starts as follows;
Fry an egg = fried egg; On bread, toast, muffin, or bun = fried egg sandwich.
Scramble (whip with a fork or small whisk in a smallish bowl, then fry a couple of eggs (sometimes with bits of fried bacon) while stirring = scrambled eggs.
Scramble, a couple of eggs, with a little milk then add some things like Ham pieces, cheese, onion (chopped) a few small sections of bell pepper (for color) then fry one side (without stirring) when only slightly liquid on top turn one half over onto the other half; fry untill firm = omlet.

Take a risk! eggs are cheap.

Enjoy!

I live alone, am not a fan of cooking itself but only really like home-cooked food. As a result, I batch cook. I home cook twice a week making enough for 4-6 single portions. I re-heat the refrigerated portions or if I have made a really big batch, freeze the remainders for later. Thank goodness I have lots of freezer/oven/microwave safe containers LOL.

I live alone, am not a fan of cooking itself but only really like home-cooked food. As a result, I batch cook. I home cook twice a week making enough for 4-6 single portions. I re-heat the refrigerated portions or if I have made a really big batch, freeze the remainders for later. Thank goodness I have lots of freezer/oven/microwave safe containers LOL.

Ever since I was a little kid I have always loved leftovers. Foods such as roasted meats, casseroles, or whatever always taste so much better!

Yes, I usually cook every night for myself. I do eat left overs of maybe spaghetti. Or if I make a pot roast, which I haven't made in awhile. It's time to treat myself to someone else's cooking.

Altho, last night I just had tortilla chips and homemade guacamole. And some Oikos yogurt later.

Tonight I'm making a taco salad. I have left over turkey taco meat from my tacos the other night, kidney beans, corn, cheese, olives, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and tort chips. Catalina salad dressing.

Cooking is so easy. Take chicken casserole as an example:

wash off the chicken pieces (wings, legs, etc) in vinegar water & rinse
boil water
place the chicken in it when hot
add spaghetti sauce/seasonings
add spinach or noodles or whatever

30-40 minutes later, it's all done

If you can boil water, you can eat well. Been doing it for many years.

My mother was quite a good cook - she could look in someone's fridge and pantry and pull together a great meal with nothing more than her instincts. However she used to say that there was no mystery about cooking. If you are willing to invest money into good ingredients and put forth some effort, you can create a good meal.

In my experience, she was 100% correct. Lousy cooks are usually lazy, cheap or both.

I don't like food prepared by others so yes I cook a few times a week otherwise there are not many raw food to chose from except fruits/vegetable. I had some tortillas left but didn't want a burrito. I craved for pizza but didn't have pizza dough so I came up with this.
Added 10-15 drops of ketchup over the tortilla and spread it out, added cooked vegetable, cooked chicken, cheese, put it in a toaster oven at 350F and after 10 minutes I got this. I liked it more than burrito and planed to have it again as quick simple meal.
22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg
To avoid having the same food again I used the same mix vegetable and skinless chicken breast to make fried rice.
21.jpg

I have very respect with so call expert nutritionists. I eat what ever I want, including lots of sugar, salt, and loads of ice cream. Im still kicking alive and well. I believe in destiny that came from God.

last night I made an apple crisp just like the one below and had a generous chunk with my morning coffee ~ yummmmmmmm!

th

I rarely go out to get take out food, except for an occasional Chinese lunch. Within that half hour I can have pork chops, baked potato and fresh broccoli. About twice a week I do chicken breasts, or boneless chops in the slow cooker, or a soup or stew on the range, then freeze two of the three portions for later in the month. Works well for me as I don't like much fast food.
Last night I made lemon bars, and shared with my apartment neighbors. We all share goodies like pies, or muffins. Then, you don't have to look at them on the counter, and add calories to your daily intake. Also, works lovely to share.

I tend to do basics during the work week but I love to get a little more fancy (and expensive) on weekends. Usually on Saturday as I have all day to prepare & cook then the next day to clean up and recover (with left-overs :love:)

Did a med-rare rack of lamb a couple of weeks ago with cauliflower/white sauce and roasted spuds! Was delicious (y)
IMG_0416.jpg

If you can read, you can cook.
I agree. Just get a basic cookbook at first, follow the directions, and voila! you are cooking. Basic cooking isn't all that complicated.

One of my young assistants at work was despairing of ever being able to cook. I asked her what she was trying to do, and she was trying exotic recipes that would have required a lot of knowledge and skill. I presented her with a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the one with the red checked cover -- they've been around forever) and pretty soon she was happily having great success and even bringing in things to share. You have to start with simple things, liking baking a chicken, making a stew, etc., which anyone can do if they can read and follow instructions, before you venture into trickier stuff.

Back