Is the stock market slide over?

Why would a split be nice?

Oops....Sorry for the long delay in replying....

I just remember the last split, and if I recall correctly, after the split, it rose in value fairly quickly ....... More $$

I do realize investing has changed but, if an individual sees the lower cost per share @ the split. It might promote better sales of the shares. Raising the value. I do realize it all levels out @ some point, but it might create a brief boost..............jmo

I just remember the last split, and if I recall correctly, after the split, it rose in value fairly quickly ....... More $$

I do realize investing has changed but, if an individual sees the lower cost per share @ the split. It might promote better sales of the shares. Raising the value. I do realize it all levels out @ some point, but it might create a brief boost..............jmo
for years now splits have largely stopped as they end up adding little value to markets where 80% of all the daily trades are high frequency trading by pros .

through the years splits became less and less popular .

for years now splits have largely stopped as they end up adding little value to markets where 80% of all the daily trades are high frequency trading by pros .

through the years splits became less and less popular .

Yeah, you're right.....like I said, I realize that things have changed ...... I think i just had a flash-back to the good'ol days .........

I'm just glad P&G has stayed healthy .

Yea a split may have a momentary rise but it's not going to make a difference over the long haul. As for individuals buying shares, as I posted earlier they're not even a blip on the radar compared to institutional buying.

Yea a split may have a momentary rise but it's not going to make a difference over the long haul. As for individuals buying shares, as I posted earlier they're not even a blip on the radar compared to institutional buying.
most small investors do not buy individual stocks either , they buy funds and etf's .

the price of the stocks contained are irrelevant to most small investors

The Dow passed 30,000 points for the first time yesterday and slid to 29,872 today. The 52 week low was18,214. The Nasdaq is at 12,049 a little lower than it's 52 week high. The 52 low as 6631. Doesn't mean there won't be another "slide" though.

I say no , but there are many stock that could go down, stocks that have and are being hurt by COVID 19 but many of they are already down,

1606350575809.jpeg

Market slides are part of life but IMO if the new vaccines control the virus we will see another surge due to pent-up demand and improved performance from companies that have learned how to better control costs during the pandemic.

View attachment 135400

Market slides are part of life but IMO if the new vaccines control the virus we will see another surge due to pent-up demand and improved performance from companies that have learned how to better control costs during the pandemic.

The stock market is a market of stocks and like you say some will do better than others because of many reasons.

Between this Corona Virus, and this turbulent election, 2020 has been one of the "wildest" years, on record, for investors. Things could go either way in 2021. However, if past history is any indicator, there is room for some optimism in 2021 as a new administration takes over in Washington. Here is a chart showing the results over the past 90 years......

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-start-stock-market-210915980.html

Personally, I intend to stay diversified, conservatively, and hope that the markets show more stability in coming months.

Several "gurus" are pushing the idea of switching some many to value investing now.
I've learned my lesson the hard way...don't listen to the "gurus". Listening to a couple of very respected financial "gurus"who highly touted a a mutual fund and a stock wound up losing me money albeit, not a whole lot. If a person keeps his/her portfolio diversified enough according to the original plans, goals and risk tolerance, there may be no need to switch to this or that.

Best results usually require nudging a portfolio like steering a big ship to keep it on course ...not every investment is going to be a good choice at times .....

we see that today in long term bonds as they have been having an awful slide.

one can still be in bonds but bonds you would use when rates are trending up are different then trending down .

same with stocks ...many funds are way to top heavy in faang .....fidelity contra as an example is up 30% ytd but it is 25% faang ......

I looked at the recent fast rise in the market and decided that it was time to pull a little out ( .004%) and put it against the remaining balance of our mortgage. I remain a bit cynical that the market will continue to go up in 2021.
i dont think there are many of us that have high hopes for the markets just by looking around us .

the good news is bull markets rarely end with so much pessimism .... rarely does what we all see and think is eminent play out that way .

but i do have to say i too am the most defensive i have been in my 33 years investing ... i still hold quite a bit of funds but i am very cash heavy right now .

it was a good year for me and i intend to hold on to as much as i can of those wonderful gains .

To me, the most reliable indicator of where the markets are heading, is the VIX....CBOE Volatility Index. Through much of the past 4 or 5 years, it has been holding under 20....then, when this Virus news hit the markets, it shot up to almost 80....and the stock markets went into the ditch in late February. Recently, it has settled down to not much over 20. It seems that the lower the VIX goes, the better the markets perform, and vice versa.

To me, the most reliable indicator of where the markets are heading, is the VIX....CBOE Volatility Index. Through much of the past 4 or 5 years, it has been holding under 20....then, when this Virus news hit the markets, it shot up to almost 80....and the stock markets went into the ditch in late February. Recently, it has settled down to not much over 20. It seems that the lower the VIX goes, the better the markets perform, and vice versa.
So what time frame is the VIX a predictor for....a week, a month, a quarter? How often do you check it?

So what time frame is the VIX a predictor for....a week, a month, a quarter? How often do you check it?
The VIX generally looks forward about 30 days, with an estimate of where the markets are heading. While there are NO sure ways to predict the stock market, I find the VIX better than most. I check it daily....it appears at the top of the "Finance" option on Yahoo....along with the daily market returns, oil futures, gold/silver prices, foreign markets, etc. Here's a good article on the VIX.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/vix.asp

@Don M. Thank you for this information. Good to know. I've seen references to the VIX in financial articles. I use Yahoo Finance often so this is one more thing to do while on the site.

Back