Junk from the cellar

We don't have a cellar...We have a garage with the stairs on top for storage...We have 3 steps to the porch to go in the house...also 3 more doors from the backyard and the garage door....We must get rid of some things if we decide to move....But with going on in the country, we are not
moving soon....
We need to purge some of the storage we have in the garage..

Two kerosene lamps that cleaned up nicely. I put them on an antique message board. One reply is the the one with the shield is called a "finger' lamp. I surmise that is because it has a loop handle to put your finger through to carry. It dates from the 1860s. He couldn't say much about the larger one - he needed more close up photos of the bowl. Waiting to hear back on that. I don't think either globe is original - on the smaller lamp, the neck doesn't go all the way down and the larger one looks too modern.

kerosene lamps.jpg

Two kerosene lamps that cleaned up nicely. I put them on an antique message board. One reply is the the one with the shield is called a "finger' lamp. I surmise that is because it has a loop handle to put your finger through to carry. It dates from the 1860s. He couldn't say much about the larger one - he needed more close up photos of the bowl. Waiting to hear back on that. I don't think either globe is original - on the smaller lamp, the neck doesn't go all the way down and the larger one looks too modern.

View attachment 115038
Oh... so pretty. I love kerosene lamps, takes me back to my childhood.

There's something so homey, warm, and inviting about lamps like these.

I got a nibble on another item I put on Marketplace. The woman said she be going to church tomorrow and could I bring it to her there. Well now, any particular church? In what town?

Where do these people come from?
Allow me to save you a lot of trouble, Deb, we're in Canada, so next time you're visiting, drop-by, we'll be home! :)

Yesterday I had a nibble on cans of paint I was giving away. The woman said she's stop by between 9 and 10 this morning. At 10:30 and no show, I PMed her. She said that she forgot that she had her grandson's sports event to attend and if I had something to do, not to let her hold me up. I replied I just wanted to firm up a time. Her answer was that she wouldn't be out of it until late this afternoon. Let's see what excuse she gives for not showing up again. She sound like a flake to me.

Yesterday I had a nibble on cans of paint I was giving away. The woman said she's stop by between 9 and 10 this morning. At 10:30 and no show, I PMed her. She said that she forgot that she had her grandson's sports event to attend and if I had something to do, not to let her hold me up. I replied I just wanted to firm up a time. Her answer was that she wouldn't be out of it until late this afternoon. Let's see what excuse she gives for not showing up again. She sound like a flake to me.
What a shame that some people are the way they are.

I give you credit, Deb, for being able to casually accept it for what it is.

This was left in the cellar by the previous owners. I can't get the drawers open. They may have rusty nails in them, antique coins, or just be empty. Probably not worth trying to move after being on that wet cellar floor for decades. Probably fall apart if touched. Dimensions in photo caption.

drawers1.jpgdrawers2.jpgdrawers3.jpg

Wait! What? You’d had these sitting in your house since before your mom purchased it and you don’t even know what’s in them?😦
That is correct. Never any reason to look and since it's in the cellar - out of sight, out of mind. What so difficult to understand about that? Since this is near the train table (the previous owner had electric trains), it may have or had contained his hobby accessories.

That is correct. Never any reason to look and since it's in the cellar - out of sight, out of mind. What so difficult to understand about that? Since this is near the train table (the previous owner had electric trains), it may have or had contained his hobby accessories.
Ummm! Curiosity! When you were a kid, didn’t it drive you nuts not knowing what was in them? I would have sawed them open. Of course I realize there probably isn’t anything too valuable or they wouldn’t have been left it but I’d want to know what’s in them so I could get rid of it.
I’d imagine it’s filled with papers which is perfect for mice homes. They even eat and live off paper and sawdust. 😳

That might be a lot of work for nothing. I can wait. I surmise the wood is swollen from the dampness. Maybe when the cellar dries out this winter, they will be easier to open. The cellar is fairly dry between mid-December and early March. I think that's when the ground water is frozen.

Back