Living alone have family and friends but very alone

No problem, there are things we have to take care of in our Dailey lives..what a wonderful thing you are doing, I'm sure they are appreciated, your husband is on chemo, I wish him well in his recovery..the ombré yarn I'm guessing is more expensive, if I had a special request to make one for someone I would definatley invest in getting it, I have so much left over yarn, I'm trying to use up whenever I get in the mood again, what are all the patterns you have made, the ripple was the first afghan I learned to make, I like maki g the c2c it goes pretty fast, mileaminute goes fast too.

Thank you! The Ombre is about $8 or $9 give or take around here and it is a much bigger skein, 10 oz., than the old kind. It averages out about the same price when you consider you're getting more per skein with the higher price. I have been stuck on doing the ripple and really haven't tried anything else. This one keeps me happy especially since I'm giving them to other people. Yes, they love them. I received so many hugs and the smiles on their faces made me ready to just go purchase more yarn and do it again! No, he passed away about 5 years ago. I started doing this while he was taking chemo. and it was a good pastime for me.

do people get mad with you when you ask the same question twice?they do me they always say (you already asked me that)

Is it anger they are displaying?...or frustration maybe? I think as with many aging problems, if the others are younger, or even older and never had any problems, they just do not understand. Just like when we move slower, they still have a more youthful mobility, so to them we are annoying.

So in your case [short term memory problem] ?...they don't understand, because they have not experienced it. And may never.

So much posted here I can relate to and going thru myself.....my grown daughter has always lived far away, her choice for college and jobs...she's now living and working in Cambodia with human poverty and education issues....so very proud of her and used to her lifestyle, but we were never close...
My grown son lives an hour away, married with two little ones, a fulltime job and lots of responsibilities on him.....and Im in poor health also but they do keep in touch by email, chats and phone calls when they can....dont think the younger ones really understand how growing older, not being able to do the things we used to, and yearning to hear from them and visiting more with them would mean to us....they will only understand when they get older, just like some of us never got it at their age.....I'm one of them and moved away from home at 21 and never moved back closer permanently....I realize now how my parents missed me and stayed concerned for me all the time....
This is my confession and feeling better already and yes, this site gives us a place to air it out, then take a deep breath of relief for the moment....

Hope you're doing much better MorningGlory and you too Paxton as this site is a great 'talking it out' avenue for all of us :)

HiPopsnYuff, yes I do relate to most of what you discribe here, and on other messages, like not realizing how my mom must have felt, we being young have no experience until we are in their shoes what it feels like, so sad, hurts like h... I too moved away at a earlier age, never visited much or called, she got sick 1 mo. before she died, but I was there for her then not knowing it was so fast. I find myself in almost the same position of being alone like her, she never learned to drive so she totally depended on her children, which was hardly ever to get away from the house, my family took her on vac with us to Manitoba Canada 1yr and she loved it,
So I guess this is my confession too, wish I would have done it differently but we can't go back in time.

I hear you! I am also very lonely.
HI Lin, I hope you will find this group comforting as I have, just reading some of the messages makes me know I'm not so alone and going mad, just expressing how you feel here may also help you. I will keep you in my prayers!

HiPopsnYuff, yes I do relate to most of what you discribe here, and on other messages, like not realizing how my mom must have felt, we being young have no experience until we are in their shoes what it feels like, so sad, hurts like h... I too moved away at a earlier age, never visited much or called, she got sick 1 mo. before she died, but I was there for her then not knowing it was so fast. I find myself in almost the same position of being alone like her, she never learned to drive so she totally depended on her children, which was hardly ever to get away from the house, my family took her on vac with us to Manitoba Canada 1yr and she loved it,
So I guess this is my confession too, wish I would have done it differently but we can't go back in time.
Your story sounds so much like mine MG except my mom had my dad to care for her....he was healthy as a horse and lived to 96....she passed at 80....and like you, she was the one to get in touch with me while I lived away.....I wasnt there either during all her illnesses except once after she had her third stroke and my dad broke his hip, both at the same time.....I went up to Jersey for a month and cared for both of them with my married brother's help.....I was a wreck physically and mentally....to top it off, my son was in Iraq so the stress was unbelievable.....

i always said i would never live with my kids--here i am stuck --i have tried to find a place to rent but i cant afford the rent--there is no privacy here what so ever--i sleep in the living room on the sofa--while my son in law hogs the 2 extra bedrooms for his hobbies- my clothes are folded up on a rack in the laundry room-ive been here 7 years and cant find a place-i have a lot of yarn that is all piled up behind my recliner-oh well it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer

Living alone with health problems are very hard sometimes, I don't like to ask for help , everyone has their busy life's to live, thanks to a daughter that takes me to my appointments but no time in between, another daughter has family and very busy, another daughter that lives 1800 miles away and no contact, my son the youngest was killed 11 yrs ago this past July 5 .. I miss him every day he had more time for me then the girls, so life gets very lonely, have 9 grandchildren never see but 2 of them rarely.
Why does getting old have to hurt .
Good Morning every one

i always said i would never live with my kids--here i am stuck --i have tried to find a place to rent but i cant afford the rent--there is no privacy here what so ever--i sleep in the living room on the sofa--while my son in law hogs the 2 extra bedrooms for his hobbies- my clothes are folded up on a rack in the laundry room-ive been here 7 years and cant find a place-i have a lot of yarn that is all piled up behind my recliner-oh well it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer

Hi Twinkles, I've said I don't want to live with my children, if I didn't own my home I would ha e to except it like it or not because I couldn't pay rent either, not on ss. , does sil have to have 2 bedrooms, maybe daughter can convince him to let you have one? For 7 yrs sleeping on sofa is not very comfortable, especially if you have had back problems, and I do, ....do you crochet? Wish I could give you some good advice but I can't, have you looked into seniors apartments, we have one here for 360 a mo you pay all utilities ...Good luck

Thank you! The Ombre is about $8 or $9 give or take around here and it is a much bigger skein, 10 oz., than the old kind. It averages out about the same price when you consider you're getting more per skein with the higher price. I have been stuck on doing the ripple and really haven't tried anything else. This one keeps me happy especially since I'm giving them to other people. Yes, they love them. I received so many hugs and the smiles on their faces made me ready to just go purchase more yarn and do it again! No, he passed away about 5 years ago. I started doing this while he was taking chemo. and it was a good pastime for me.

Hello AprilSun you are welcome, ok that's good to know.. I'm very sorry about your husband, how big do you make to donate.? I'm sure they are beautiful. Do you have a faverate ombré color

hey morninglory---there is no way old greedy son in law will give up his space---yes i do crochet i make shoulder warmers for the nursing home and lap blankets--i also make hats for the homeless and needy--i have an addi turbo knitting machine so i can make a hat in 30 minutes i also make scarves on it--i have checked on the senior apartments but their is a long waiting list-i havent used the ombre yarn but i have used bernat pop which i like but it is 5$ a skein

Hello AprilSun you are welcome, ok that's good to know.. I'm very sorry about your husband, how big do you make to donate.? I'm sure they are beautiful. Do you have a faverate ombré color

Thank you! I really do appreciate you being so kind. The size I make is 30 wide x 64 long. I asked my husband to be my pattern when it came to size. I wanted everyone able to cover up if they wanted to and he enjoyed so much! As for favorite colors, they are all so pretty it's hard to decide.

Okay, then, boys and girls! I know I've been whiny and complained from time to time about being lonely and living under the same roof as my daughter and her family. Shame on me! At least I have:

*Fairly decent health; I only take meds for BP and cholesterol. I'm ambulatory and able to do heavy, physical work in my flower garden.
*My own self-contained, totally separate apartment which includes my own entrance. Tiny, yes, but separate and private.
*A dependable car so that I can come and go as it suits me. I'm mobile.
*If I crave contact with another carbon-based unit of the human sort, I can step across the hall and "bother" my daughter. She works from home so I really hesitate to wander over there unless invited. When she's not slammed with deadlines, she comes over here to chat, invites me to go grocery shopping with her, etc. Or I can "bother" my son, who also works from home and lives about 30 miles south. They both insist that I'm not bothering them, but I do try to be mindful of their 8-5 M-F workdays.
*And, after having to put my kitty down last fall, I've adopted a shelter kitty...so have a carbon-based unit of the furry sort for company and comfort.

All in all, I'm darned blessed and lucky. My son and his partner came over to visit today and took me to lunch. Next time I post here and get whiny and have a pity party going on, y'all please refer me to this post.

hey morninglory---there is no way old greedy son in law will give up his space---yes i do crochet i make shoulder warmers for the nursing home and lap blankets--i also make hats for the homeless and needy--i have an addi turbo knitting machine so i can make a hat in 30 minutes i also make scarves on it--i have checked on the senior apartments but their is a long waiting list-i havent used the ombre yarn but i have used bernat pop which i like but it is 5$ a skein

Hi twinkles, I'm curios about the shoulder warmers, and turbo knitting machine, I was learning to knit but it was slower then crocheting to me, great job for the homeless and needy as the winters get mighty cold, wish no one had to be homeless, I just couldn't imagine myself not haveing a home, I feel blessed!, I know the waiting listis long but 7 yrs is a long time, your turn has to be comming up soon.

Okay, then, boys and girls! I know I've been whiny and complained from time to time about being lonely and living under the same roof as my daughter and her family. Shame on me! At least I have:

*Fairly decent health; I only take meds for BP and cholesterol. I'm ambulatory and able to do heavy, physical work in my flower garden.
*My own self-contained, totally separate apartment which includes my own entrance. Tiny, yes, but separate and private.
*A dependable car so that I can come and go as it suits me. I'm mobile.
*If I crave contact with another carbon-based unit of the human sort, I can step across the hall and "bother" my daughter. She works from home so I really hesitate to wander over there unless invited. When she's not slammed with deadlines, she comes over here to chat, invites me to go grocery shopping with her, etc. Or I can "bother" my son, who also works from home and lives about 30 miles south. They both insist that I'm not bothering them, but I do try to be mindful of their 8-5 M-F workdays.
*And, after having to put my kitty down last fall, I've adopted a shelter kitty...so have a carbon-based unit of the furry sort for company and comfort.

All in all, I'm darned blessed and lucky. My son and his partner came over to visit today and took me to lunch. Next time I post here and get whiny and have a pity party going on, y'all please refer me to this post.

Hi Georgia, by the way I've always loved your name.....just whin away we are here to listen, being lonely is how I found my way here, you certainly are blessed to have a home with your daughter and especially your own private space, but we all still miss that human contact now and again, my daughter told me the phone works both ways, I call, they are busy, and say I'll call you back so I don't do that anymore, I have a dear sweet friend she's 91 I talk to couple times a week but when she passes I'll be devistated and very much alone ...all in all sounds like you have two wonderful children trying to include you in their lives ,,but I know once in a while is not enough, my daughter comes every 2 wks to do my shopping and stays maybe 15 min and runs till the next 2 wks or until I have an appointment, I am grateful of that, getting old does suck.

Thank you! I really do appreciate you being so kind. The size I make is 30 wide x 64 long. I asked my husband to be my pattern when it came to size. I wanted everyone able to cover up if they wanted to and he enjoyed so much! As for favorite colors, they are all so pretty it's hard to decide.

Hi AprilSun, how you doing today? Well I usually go overboard when measuring my afghans I need to work on that..yes I have a hard time picking colors ha e you worked with the ombré yet I haven't yet but I will someday when I can get in the mood, I can't get in mood to do much of anything lately.

Hi AprilSun, how you doing today? Well I usually go overboard when measuring my afghans I need to work on that..yes I have a hard time picking colors ha e you worked with the ombré yet I haven't yet but I will someday when I can get in the mood, I can't get in mood to do much of anything lately.

Hi Morningglory! I'm doing fine and I hope you are! Oh yes, I have made so many using the ombre that I have lost count. Some I have given away to my daughter and then I have several ready to give to the chemo patients so I can't really say how many. I'm hooked on using this yarn because I love it so! Maybe you will get in the mood one day. I know you can't enjoy something if you're not in the mood to do it. There was several years that I didn't crochet because I wasn't in the mood and then I decided to try it again and it stuck this time. I found the crochet forum link that I uploaded pictures of some of the ombre chemo's and this is it:

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/160458-chemo-blankets/#comment-2749033

If the link works, you can just click on it and go to the top of the page. This will take you to pictures of some of the ones I've made. I thought you might like to see what they look like.

Hi Morningglory! I'm doing fine and I hope you are! Oh yes, I have made so many using the ombre that I have lost count. Some I have given away to my daughter and then I have several ready to give to the chemo patients so I can't really say how many. I'm hooked on using this yarn because I love it so! Maybe you will get in the mood one day. I know you can't enjoy something if you're not in the mood to do it. There was several years that I didn't crochet because I wasn't in the mood and then I decided to try it again and it stuck this time. I found the crochet forum link that I uploaded pictures of some of the ombre chemo's and this is it:

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/160458-chemo-blankets/#comment-2749033

If the link works, you can just click on it and go to the top of the page. This will take you to pictures of some of the ones I've made. I thought you might like to see what they look like.

Hi just looked at the link ...your afghans are so beautiful, I'm starting a broomstick lace today..don't know how long I'll get on it without getting bored of it

Hi just looked at the link ...your afghans are so beautiful, I'm starting a broomstick lace today..don't know how long I'll get on it without getting bored of it

Thank you! I'm glad it worked for you. I wasn't trying to "show off" but I wanted you to see how this yarn looks after one has been made. Now you have a better way of deciding how or what you want to do. I hope I haven't come across as if I'm pushing you because that's not what I meant. I just knew when I purchased it, it was more a trial and error purchase and I was expecting it to be error but it wasn't and still isn't. Good luck on your broomstick lace!

good morning morning glory---- the shoulder warmers i make are part of a poncho-- i crochet it just down to where it would meet your elbow -the nursing homes dont want any button or ties so these slide over the persons head and they wont fall off the shoulders they can eat or read a book and it will stay put.the addi knitting machine is round and you turn the handle til you get the length you need.if you google addi turbo knitting machine you can see how it is done--my oldest son is retired so he got one he makes hats and scarves for half way houses--he lives in virginia--it gives him something to do--twinkle

good morning georgiaXplant-- i got your pm and i answered it --did you get? i dont know whether i did it right or not i have never sent one before-----twinkles

I hear you morning glory! I too am alone most of the time. I find the freinds I do have are always busy with thier relatives.
I have one son nearby that I seldom see. He never married. The son I was close to at one time lives a thousand miles away.
I have found over the years, that I mostly only hear from friends when they want something.

I volunteered for a few years through community services but found many shamelessly took advantage of that.

Now I am quite used to being alone most of the time but it is nice to be able to communicate online once in awhile.

I'm fortunate I still have pretty good health and still enjoy gardening and keeping my house looking respectable, going for walks, etc
but computers certainly do help tremendously to fill our time don't they!

Hey Leslie, I know what you mean. I can't garden at my condo but have been doing containers on my deck and houseplants. Last year, I just gave it up.

I do see my son and DIL once to twice a month and my adult grandson finally found his own place so it gets lonely.

Agree, it is nice to have the Internet!

Back