Meditation Can Actually Change The Brain

Paco Dennis

SF VIP
I have been meditating for 35 years. It took a few weeks to take 20 minutes in the morning and evening to get used to. It is probably the number 1 health technique I have learned to help me balance the my life. This article is based on scientific research into ways that show evidence of a few ways it helps us function better.

Meditation Reduces Activity in the Brain’s “Me Center"

One of the most interesting studies in the last few years, carried out at Yale University, found that mindfulness meditation decreases activity in the default mode network (DMN), the brain network responsible for mind-wandering and self-referential thoughts – a.k.a., “monkey mind.” The DMN is “on” or active when we’re not thinking about anything in particular, when our minds are just wandering from thought to thought. Since mind-wandering is typically associated with being less happy, ruminating, and worrying about the past and future, it’s the goal for many people to dial it down. Several studies have shown that meditation, through its quieting effect on the DMN, appears to do just this. And even when the mind does start to wander, because of the new connections that form, meditators are better at snapping back out of it.

Others include

Helps Preserve the Aging Brain

Its Effects Rival Antidepressants for Depression, Anxiety

May Lead to Volume Changes in Key Areas of the Brain

Just a Few Days of Training Improves Concentration and Attention

Reduces Anxiety — and Social Anxiety

Can Help with Addiction

Short Meditation Breaks Can Help Kids in School

Meditation Can Actually Change The Brain

This sounds interesting because if anyone is guilty of "monkey mind" with wandering thoughts of both past and present and future it is I. It's a case of thinking too much which I tended to associate with creativity and intelligence (what little I posses) but it would be good to take a break from it once in a while. Gotta look into it.

I meditated for a while. I'm not sure I got much out of it since I was participating in online political debates at the time, so one created stress while the other alleviated it and the benefits were negligible, but it did help me settle down at night so I could sleep. And it does kind of ground you. Maybe I should try it again.
I would highly suggest you give it another try.

I meditate very morning. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Glad to see others are into meditating. Took me a while to really get into it but so glad I did. My morning meditation is Priceless. I can tell its helping a lot...helping to release my tensed muscles slowly but surely. Also helping in other areas on my life. It takes time to get into it but once you do and become dedicated to it, it is a life changer...I know it is for me.

I can't seem to stay focused for that length of time unless I'm doing something I enjoy. I'm sure it has helped many people though.
I downloaded an app on my phone. They have about 12 meditation sessions - each range from 10-15 minutes long. You can choose which one you want to do. They are not long at all. Some mornings I do 2 sessions. I don't stay focused the entire time because the mind wonders which is fine.. I do get back on track. It takes time to get into it but well worth it.

I downloaded an app on my phone.
Which app is it? I feel I should do something.

For anyone that does transcendental meditation, I‘m curious if the ‘word’ you are given is a real word or a created one. People will say they never tell anyone that word which is logical. They’ll also say they never say that word any other time. Wouldn’t that be a challenge to avoid that special word.

I can't seem to stay focused for that length of time unless I'm doing something I enjoy. I'm sure it has helped many people though.

Yes, initially but will get easier with practice, I'm guessing....I'm still working on it. My son picked up some valuable tools while in rehab. He meditates every morning for three(3) minutes...only. It makes him right with the world apparently. One time down at his place in L.A. he led me in a 3 minutes meditation. Basically sitting comfortably, closing eyes....listening to the breeze/wind, listening for the rustle of tree leaves & branches...listen to your own breath. Being "in the moment" is a super great state to be in.

I've tried several forms of meditation including chants such as NAM MIOHO RENGE KYO and OM NAMA SHIVAYA.

Can't honestly say it has worked but it hasn't hurt, either.

Some people swear the SA TA NA MA meditation prevents loss of faculties:

https://tinyurl.com/kevsddd6

While I cannot vouch for those claims, again, I have not experienced any harm from doing so. This is why I try these whenever I'm inclined to do so, just in case they may possibly help.

I've tried several forms of meditation including chants such as NAM MIOHO RENGE KYO and OM NAMA SHIVAYA.

Can't honestly say it has worked but it hasn't hurt, either.

Some people swear the SA TA NA MA meditation prevents loss of faculties:

https://tinyurl.com/kevsddd6

While I cannot vouch for those claims, again, I have not experienced any harm from doing so. This is why I try these whenever I'm inclined to do so, just in case they may possibly help.
One time when I was in VA (while in Army) I attended the Nichiren shoshu temple in D.C. Chanted NAM MIOHO RENGE KYO with the regular attendees, a very fulfilling experience.

This sounds interesting because if anyone is guilty of "monkey mind" with wandering thoughts of both past and present and future it is I. It's a case of thinking too much which I tended to associate with creativity and intelligence (what little I posses) but it would be good to take a break from it once in a while. Gotta look into it.
I feel more creative, more sharp-minded, and actually more youthful after meditation. That's why it can be addictive. But I keep it down to 2 sessions a day or as needed when I'm in a dentist's chair. :p

For anyone that does transcendental meditation, I‘m curious if the ‘word’ you are given is a real word or a created one. People will say they never tell anyone that word which is logical. They’ll also say they never say that word any other time. Wouldn’t that be a challenge to avoid that special word.

When I was 20 I met a guy who practiced TM and we became good friends. I asked him to tell me his mantra, but he said it was sacred in that it was specially given to him personally by Maharishi. So I made up a word that didn't bring very many mental connections for me..."Shankara". I would repeat this word in my mind, always bringing back my attention to it for about 20 minutes at a time. On the bus one morning going to work I was practicing this and I went into "Bliss". It lasted for about 5 minutes and then dissipated. There are many different mantras, and the practice involves bringing your full attention back to the mantra. What we are teaching ourselves is the ability to have some control over our "roof noise" "monkey mind" "uncontrollable urges and thoughts" etc....

Our key phrase in the Monastery/Farm/Intentional Community here is "Mind Empty, Heart Open, Body Dancing" :)

I have had a mantra for 35 years and have never said it out loud since it was given to me. What I have learned is that other words work pretty well too, specifically words that convey beauty like: moonlight, mountain, surf.

I have practiced Transcendental Deep Meditation since I was in my early 20's. It is a sacred experience for me.
I went through the initiation and received the advanced mantra so rather than "dipping" it delves to immediate bliss consciousness, charms and brings it out into the realm of activity.
It's a heavenly experience!
The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi gave me a long stemmed red rose once. This astounded me!
I urge anyone who wants inner fulfillment and happiness to begin TM.

Jules, The "sounds" are sacred Sanskrit. Not to be repeated aloud. These are selected for you either for "the householder" or "the disciple".
and Oh Yes, these are intensely powerful. When you meditate, you can actually FEEL the changes Dennis and MurrMurr talked about.
You are contacting and experiencing the Being. There is a new ALIVENESS!
You are making full use of your surroundings and the tremendous power of nature., your full potential. You have clear, powerful and fruitful thinking. experience art in your behavior and your actions. It's WONDERFUL!

The App is called Lets Meditate. I love it. It's not chanting, etc. The meditations are a male or female voice guiding you into the meditation. Two of my favorites are Emotional Balance and Overthinking.

The App is called Lets Meditate. I love it. It's not chanting, etc. The meditations are a male or female voice guiding you into the meditation. Two of my favorites are Emotional Balance and Overthinking.
Thanks. Just checked the Apple App Store. There are two - Wellness Living or Guided Meditate. Is one of these the one you use?

There's a phrase in the motorcycle community that's "being in the zone". What it means is that your mind is totally focused on situational awareness and your internal clock is in sync with the speed at which things are coming at you. You, your machine and things around you are in perfect harmony in a state of heightened awareness. It is like you are washing the brain by flooding it with pleasurable sensory input. There is, or seems to be, an experiential factor in being able to adjust your brain clock to the speed at which things are coming at you. Pilots understand this.

You can try a little experiment by watching the following video of Guy Martin racing in the Isle of Mann TT. Adjust the video full screen and pretend you're riding the motorcycle and see if, after a while, you get comfortable with and enjoy the speed at which things are coming at you. If so, you've just gotten a little ways in the zone and had your brain washed a little.

Last edited:

Back