Polygamy

Polygamy has been demonized by the reporting of men who have so many wives, many of which are minors. Also, if those families are a drain on the state funds (getting public assistance), that is certainly a catalyst.

Men who have mistresses are often excused and even admired. Affairs are so common in this country. But when someone legitimizes the relationship via marriage to a second (or 3rd) woman, he's seen as evil and possibly faces jail time. Add to that.... alleged religious freedom gets taken off the table.
I don't care when adults, such as you, consent to marry into a polygamous marriage. I do hate when children are told they must marry into it or they will ''go to hell'' if they don't.

I've never heard of men being admired or excused for cheating. People, especially other men, might look the other way though. I've heard of Muslim men criticizing western men of having ''serial marriages'' through divorce, but even with four wives Muslim men still hanker for more women and have unlimited concubines allowed to them. Who is being hypocritical here?

Just curious, you don't have to reply. Were you at all jealous of sharing your husband? I'd rather be single than share my man, even if I loved the other woman like a sister.

Fathers can't support all these kids usually, and then they go on welfare, beg and dumpster dive.
Their homes aren't usually like the nice places like on Sister Wives. They're often dumps, leaky trailers and the likes.

Not arguing, Radish, as I have no idea. But I'm wondering, how do you know this? And why do the fathers have to be the sole support of all those kids? In today's world, don't most mothers work as well?

Not arguing, Radish, as I have no idea. But I'm wondering, how do you know this? And why do the fathers have to be the sole support of all those kids? In today's world, don't most mothers work as well?
I read about this family where this guy had his own trailer and everyone of his wives had their own trailer. All the adults sold magazine subscriptions by cold calling on the phone. I don't know how the women found the time since they usually have a bunch of kids, not just one or two.

I don't think I ever heard of a woman with multiple husbands???
Well, had a client, when we were in the tropical fish importing biz, that lived with her 2 ex husbands. Now she was a character to begin with, but it was interesting to note that one of the ex husbands would worry about the other ex husband...like "did he take his morning meds" or "did he eat right for lunch". They always seemed to be very happy and I'm betting she never needed to fix a meal.

Well, had a client, when we were in the tropical fish importing biz, that lived with her 2 ex husbands.
Shortly after we divorced (he was a serial cheater) my ex found another woman and married her (and cheated on her, too). A few years later he told me that he wished I would live with them, he said he liked some things about me and other things about her. I told him I was not good about sharing.

Shortly after we divorced (he was a serial cheater) my ex found another woman and married her (and cheated on her, too). A few years later he told me that he wished I would live with them, he said he liked some things about me and other things about her. I told him I was not good about sharing.
OMG!!!

Purely from an evolutionary standpoint, the male is designed to procreate with as many females as possible, in order to perpetuate the race. The female however, is inherently less so as a result of being the bearer and nurturer of the offspring.

From the Academy of Natural Sciences:
To state the generalization more accurately, it is frequently, if not usually, the case that for every receptive female in the mating pool of a population, there is more than one male ready to inseminate her. This typical imbalance in the operational sex ratio (OSR; ref. 3) in turn stems from the basic facts of reproductive physiology: sperm are small and cheap, whereas the time and energy burdens of egg production, gestation, and parental care typically fall more heavily on females with the result that fewer females than males are available in the mating pool at any given time (4).

I'm not making a point for or against either polygamy or monogamy, just pointing out that there are physiological imperatives play a part on an evolutionary level, even if unconsciously, which broadens the subject to one of more than societal traditions or religious beliefs or lust-driven choices.

Last edited:
Purely from an evolutionary standpoint, the male is designed to procreate with as many females as possible, in order to perpetuate the race. The female however, is inherently less so as a result of being the bearer and nurturer of the offspring.

To state the generalization more accurately, it is frequently, if not usually, the case that for every receptive female in the mating pool of a population, there is more than one male ready to inseminate her. This typical imbalance in the operational sex ratio (OSR; ref. 3) in turn stems from the basic facts of reproductive physiology: sperm are small and cheap, whereas the time and energy burdens of egg production, gestation, and parental care typically fall more heavily on females with the result that fewer females than males are available in the mating pool at any given time (4).

I'm not making a point for or against either polygamy or monogamy, just pointing out that there are physiological imperatives play a part on an evolutionary level, even if unconsciously, which broadens the subject to one of more than societal traditions or religious beliefs or lust-driven choices.
Where does this come from? Men are designed to procreate? Isn’t everyone? Men can’t do it alone (yet). I always thought it took two.

Yes, but since evolutionary times, we now have DNA to prove paternity. So procreate all they want, but there's now a difference between cats and and dogs and people and how they behave. Hopefully.

Yes, Ronni said- the male is designed to procreate with as many females as possible .......,
Humans are one of the few species that practice monogamy (and badly at that). There's a few animals that practice it, right off the top of my head are = doves, penguins, and the alpha wolves in a pack. I'm sure there's more that I forgot or don't know about.

This thread has taken a turn to the horrific. I would like to state events, the way things were- can't.
I know we all need balm; we do a lot of strange behaviors, seeking healing.

Butterfly:
The destruction of a human spirit, leaves a perpetuity of 'uncertainty'
'hesitancy:'
1. may well lead to a responsive personality of rage
2. acidity personality (attacking first, before you have the opportunity to harm, setting boundaries, partitions of which only you are aware of...
3. Co-dependency- a word still seeking definition.
Those afflicted have no awareness of their affliction.
They are 'difficult,' people, wandering through their life seeking definition.
These are the gentle effects...
The finality of death does not leave one to wander through a life of mine fields.
If you do not follow, good for you.
I am through.
back to op

I can barely keep up being married to one man, I cannot image multiple... and my hubby feel the same way🥵
But whomever is living that life and are happy, that is what counts. But I know it's definitely NOT FOR ME.

Back