Riots and Looting

Don M.

SF VIP
As could be almost expected, Minneapolis is experiencing riots and looting in the aftermath of this police related death a couple of days ago. It's bad enough that the police have to be involved in such an incident, but the Idiot people who engage in this criminal activity as their warped idea of "protest", will only make things much worse for the residents of that area.
This is quite the same as what happened in Ferguson, MO., a few years ago, when a similar situation led to days of rioting, burning and looting. We were in St. Louis, a couple of years ago, and on a whim, drove through Ferguson. There was still visible damage of empty damaged buildings, and a drastic absence of any commercial consumer stores. The ultimate damage of this kind of stupidity falls on the shoulders of the decent people in such a region....as they no longer have stores, etc., nearby, and their lifestyles have suffered as a result.
Protest might be justified in such an incident, but when it deteriorates into this kind of chaos, it's pretty hard to have much sympathy for those who participate, IMO.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protests-looting-erupt-again-minneapolis-203508355.html

Would anything ever change without loudly visible protests after incidents like this?
As for rioting - do well off middle class people join in riots, or is it always people who are marginalised and disadvantaged? If the latter is the truth, perhaps the remedy is to build a more equitable society where this level of suppressed anger no longer exists. And where murder by law enforcement is as rare as rocking horse dung.

IMO destroying property and looting has nothing to do with protesting or advocating for social change, justice, etc...

With forty million Americans currently out of work, the riots and looting in Minneapolis concern me because it could be the spark that ignites similar behavior across the nation.

Protests are a valid method to highlight the need for social change. Rioting has absolutely nothing to do with attaining social justice. It's just the usual bottom feeders taking advantage of temporary chaos to score a new 70" flat screen and a couple cases of Colt 45.

Would anything ever change without loudly visible protests after incidents like this?
As for rioting - do well off middle class people join in riots, or is it always people who are marginalised and disadvantaged? If the latter is the truth, perhaps the remedy is to build a more equitable society where this level of suppressed anger no longer exists. And where murder by law enforcement is as rare as rocking horse dung.

"build a more equitable society where this level of suppressed anger no longer exists. "

And just how do you propose to do this ?

I get the Minneapolis channels. The rioting continues. The National Guard is not trying to stop the rioting. What they are doing is trying to support the fire trucks trying to put out fires.

The rioters go after stores they can loot like Target and Liquor stores.

I have often visited Minnesota and my impression which has changed is that it was always a peaceful community. There is one small town near me in Minnesota that is so respectful you don't see graffiti anywhere. It's usually packed with tourists in the summer because the weather near Lake Superior is so nice when it's hot out.

Protests are a valid method to highlight the need for social change. Rioting has absolutely nothing to do with attaining social justice. It's just the usual bottom feeders taking advantage of temporary chaos to score a new 70" flat screen and a couple cases of Colt 45.

Well said...I agree.

Riots in St. Louis last night started after three hours of peaceful demonstrations then rioting started and seven people were shot not by police. In many cases instigators are brought in to incite protestors and this is well known by the authorities. This is an age old trick by anarchist groups.

Actually, I think those 7 people shot were in Louisville, KY. St. Louis, Kansas City, and many other cities had their fair share of rioting and looting. This stupidity, like always, is a good opportunity for the criminals to join these protests, and loot the stores. IMO, when these protests degenerate into rioting, looting and burning, they should be looked upon as "domestic terrorism", and the participants treated accordingly.

The answer to that question is in the hands of the American people. First step is to actually want a fairer society. Where there is the will, a way can be found.

OK, how do we create this fairer society ? It seems to me that to "create" one....someone will have to give.....so that someone else might now have ?

Speaking only for myself ? No, I am not giving up what i have earned. I am not rich, I am not advanced educated ,talented , gifted ....... I am just a blue collar middle American who has worked & saved ...let the other guys work and save .

So I suppose I could say, I don't care about a fairer society. I was taught what one needs to be secure, and i achieved it , and achieved it to a level that i am comfortable with. Let the next guy take care of himself.

This reminds me of the start of ..... Welfare ..... in the beginning it was a terrific idea & program. It was designed and did help those that truly could not help themselves, for what ever reason. Then the gamers started gaming the system ...... as such those that truly needed the help were & are receiving less & less of the help they need.

Do I want a fairer society ? ........ It is exactly fair right now ........ Go earn what ever it is you need/want.

Actually, I think those 7 people shot were in Louisville, KY. St. Louis, Kansas City, and many other cities had their fair share of rioting and looting. This stupidity, like always, is a good opportunity for the criminals to join these protests, and loot the stores. IMO, when these protests degenerate into rioting, looting and burning, they should be looked upon as "domestic terrorism", and the participants treated accordingly.

Exactly ! ......... as in shot on site.

Yes, exactly, that seems to be the prevalent way of thinking in the USofA, the gun is looked upon as the - be all and end all, of all problems.

How disposable human life has become.

NO, how disposable criminal low-life should be !

If all the criminal/thugs were done way with ... we would have no need for guns at all [exception of course being hunting] ......... or the slim possibility of foreign invasion.

Then things would be as you desire ..... no need for guns. And I would have things as i desire .... no crime. We both win the society we desire !

"build a more equitable society where this level of suppressed anger no longer exists. "

More people getting involved in local elections, doing their homework/research about candidates and then actually VOTING in all the elections, especially the 'little' (local and state). A decent society is built from the ground up.

NO, how disposable criminal low-life should be !

If all the criminal/thugs were done way with ... we would have no need for guns at all [exception of course being hunting] ......... or the slim possibility of foreign invasion.

Then things would be as you desire ..... no need for guns. And I would have things as i desire .... no crime. We both win the society we desire !
Just "criminal low-life", that's your answer to all of this? What about the latest case of "criminal high-life", where police officers are at the forefront and centre of? What's your remedy for that?

If your grand illusion is to solve Americas crime problems by doing away with everyday common criminals, you have to encompass both low and high life criminals, however, looking at the all-mighty gun to accomplish the task is not the solution.

Last edited:
Warrigal said:
... As for rioting - do well off middle class people join in riots, or is it always people who are marginalised and disadvantaged? If the latter is the truth, perhaps the remedy is to build a more equitable society where this level of suppressed anger no longer exists. ...

The answer to that question is in the hands of the American people. First step is to actually want a fairer society. Where there is the will, a way can be found.

The disadvantaged, suppressed anger issue is more complicated than you might think. To promote a more equitable society means weaning those entrapped in generational welfare that disincentivizes advancement out of poverty. That's not going to happen because it's advantageous to a certain group of politicians to keep their voters housed and fed by the system. And no politician of any stripe in the areas where handouts are high and poverty is prevalent is going to run on a platform of reducing payouts. Can't go further with that discussion due to the no politics rule --which is a wonderful rule imo.

Last edited:
This whole ordeal has gone terribly wrong. I believe the plan is to arrest those looters that can be identified through the use of videos.

Back