Scared, Landlord Selling Building, Will Have To Move

My rent already alittle over $1600, can't afford any more.
I only get a $1000,00 a month in Social Security

In Penna. for example there is a 3 bedroom 1 bath home on over 2 acres of land for $39,000.00. With 20% down the monthly payments including property taxes could be as little as $300.00 a month.

Heh, my bags would be packed

Penna. is the abbreviation for the state Pennsylvania. Others use Pa. as the abbreviation

Oh, lol I've been out there it's Beautiful. The only thing that might hold me back, is that I have bankruptcy on my record. I had a medical situation that I couldn't afford. I'm looking for a job for which isn't easy for people my age? I've had a couple of them, but couldn't physically couldn't do them. Still looking?

You sound like an unhappy person who lack empathy for others? I'm Not complaining just stating my situation. People think if you "JUST" do this and do that is "JUST" that easy? If it where? No one would have problems? You don't know my background and what I'm up against? I'm sure you're Life isn't "Perfect". And you probably do your share of complaining?
If I have a PROBLEM, I find a solution to it. If I'm too close to the problem and can't figure out the solution, I ask others for advice and pick out the advice that works best for ME. Two years ago I had a problem and posted here asking for opinions and solutions, the good posters gave me some, and I solved my problem by implementing that advice. You've been complaining about your financial problems for the two years I've been a member and continually shoot down and find fault for EVERY advice given to you, or claim you will do something and never do.

You sound like an unhappy person who lack empathy for others? I'm Not complaining just stating my situation. People think if you "JUST" do this and do that is "JUST" that easy? If it where? No one would have problems? You don't know my background and what I'm up against? I'm sure you're Life isn't "Perfect". And you probably do your share of complaining?
Seems to me that Catlady is spot on. Every post you make is some kind of desperate situation; sometimes I wonder if you are playing with the kind people on this forum.

Thanks for writing, where is Penna? Never heard of it? I have looked at different places out of State. Don't want to buy can't afford to. El Paso, Texas which is where my dad's from, a 1 bedroom 1 bath is $445 per month. Texas is a No state taxes are charged
So, why don't you move there, $445 is a lot better than $1600 a month. I remember reading your daughter lives or lived there, is she still there?

So, why don't you move there, $445 is a lot better than $1600 a month. I remember reading your daughter lives or lived there, is she still there?

Believe me if it Where that Easy? Like I said my bankruptcy will be held against me. I've already called some places and won't even take a co-signer. I read online that you'd have to look for an independent owner who you could convince them to rent to people like me? But unfortunately they are far and few between. Most hire management agencies to take care of their properties for them.

Believe me if it Where that Easy? Like I said my bankruptcy will be held against me. I've already called some places and won't even take a co-signer. I read online that you'd have to look for an independent owner who you could convince them to rent to people like me? But unfortunately they are far and few between. Most hire management agencies to take care of their properties for them.
Money always talks. Offer them to give them a deposit of 6 months rent, and pay rent on time and be a model tenant and take a month-to-month lease. If you goof up after a couple of months, they'll have plenty of time to evict you. Make them the offer and see what they say, it won't hurt to ask. I know bankruptcies are hard to live down, but maybe you can find a laid-back landlord or desperate manager wanting to fill those units. Maybe you can find a roommate or your daughter to rent the apartment for you in their name. Desperate situations demand desperate solutions. "Where there's a will, there is a way!".

Money always talks. Offer them to give them a deposit of 6 months rent, and pay rent on time and be a model tenant and take a month-to-month lease. If you goof up after a couple of months, they'll have plenty of time to evict you. Make them the offer and see what they say, it won't hurt to ask. I know bankruptcies are hard to live down, but maybe you can find a laid-back landlord or desperate manager wanting to fill those units. Maybe you can find a roommate or your daughter to rent the apartment for you in their name. Desperate situations demand desperate solutions. "Where there's a will, there is a way!".

Thanks for your support. Yea, that's a thought? I'm a model tenant right now, I've been here 20 years, Never been late with the rent, never gave problems, like to be low key. Ill maybe use her as a reference? They'll not nesscisarily personable people?

You didn't answer, is your daughter still in El Paso? Could she rent the apartment in her name? I'm not sure if it's even possible to do that, but you can always research and find out. That $445 apartment is only 1/4 of what you pay now, I'd move heaven and hell to get something like that if I were you.

You didn't answer, is your daughter still in El Paso? Could she rent the apartment in her name? I'm not sure if it's even possible to do that, but you can always research and find out. That $445 apartment is only 1/4 of what you pay now, I'd move heaven and hell to get something like that if I were you.

I said my dad was from there. I've already looked into those apartments, they won't accept bankruptcy or a co-signer. I'll continue looking. Thanks

That’s some great advice.

I'm familiar with your area and just spent five minutes on Craigslist for rentals. In Whittier, La Habra, Costa Mesa and surrounding areas there are rooms for rent from $500/month and thereabouts. These are rooms to rent, meaning houses to share. Of course, you'd have to qualify financially and blend well with the other occupants' lifestyles, schedules and personalities.

That said, if your total income is $1000 per month, it's probably past time to look at a less costly state than CA. Without some sizeable retirement savings, a large income of SS and/or pension, outright owning a home, or significant family support, most seniors have been priced out of much of California.

This should be no surprise to you. Local & national news are chock full of stories of Californians who wind up homeless because they cannot afford escalating rents. Pat, you've long complained on this forum that your living situation with your daughter and family has not been emotionally good (plus I got the very strong sense that you were helping her financially rather than the other way around), and you've talked about separating households for your sanity and financial health.

A very short sequence of bad events could have you living in your car. A new landlord, an eviction to do building renovations or some other legal reason, a change in your daughter's situation, or who knows-what-all, and you'll be (as we used to say) screwed, blued and tattooed.

p.s. How long ago did you file bankruptcy? If it's been a while and your finances have been clean since then, new landlords may not weigh the BK too heavily against you.

Last edited:
I said my dad was from there. I've already looked into those apartments, they won't accept bankruptcy or a co-signer. I'll continue looking. Thanks
You said a year or so ago that your daughter moved to El Paso, rented a house, her husband is an accountant. Is she still there?

I said to get someone else to rent the apartment in their name and let you live there by paying THEM the rent, or get a roommate with only their name on the lease.

I'm familiar with your area and just spent five minutes on Craigslist for rentals. In Whittier, La Habra, Costa Mesa and surrounding areas there are rooms for rent from $500/month and thereabouts. These are rooms to rent, meaning houses to share. Of course, you'd have to qualify financially and blend well with the other occupants' lifestyles, schedules and personalities.

That said, if your total income is $1000 per month, it's probably past time to look at a less costly state than CA. Without some sizeable retirement savings, a large income of SS and/or pension, outright owning a home, or significant family support, most seniors have been priced out of much of California.

This should be no surprise to you. Local & national news are chock full of stories of Californians who wind up homeless because they cannot afford escalating rents. Pat, you've long complained on this forum that your living situation with your daughter and family has not been emotionally good (plus I got the very strong sense that you were helping her financially rather than the other way around), and you've talked about separating households for your sanity and financial health.

A very short sequence of bad events could have you living in your car. A new landlord, an eviction to do building renovations (or some other reason, a change in your daughter's situation, or who knows-what-all, and you'll be (as we used to say) screwed, blued and tattooed.

p.s. How long ago did you file bankruptcy? If it's been a while and your finances have been clean since then, new landlords may not weigh the BK too heavily against you.
Yes, about my daughter it's a little complicated, what I haven't mentioned was that she's learning disabled. We're both working together to find a solution to our living situation, but my health isn't good, Diabetes, Macular Degeneration a blindness decease. I'm a typical mom who puts her kids needs above hers. I know that might not make sense to you or others? What my mom has Always said about me is that I've always been out of all her kids (9 of us) has landed on my feet. My kids and I at one time where homeless for several weeks leaving an abusive husband. That was 20 years ago. So hopefully something will come up. And I'd like to say for others who will read this critizing me Preying? What's Wrong with that? Thanks

Heh, my bags would be packed
I'm thinking of buying this cash as an investment & rental property.
$39,000

Est. Mortgage $266/mo
3 Beds
1 Bath
1,159 sqft

Single Family Home$34/sq
ftLot Size: 2.10 acres
Built in 1945
180+ Days on Trulia
6 Rooms
Heating: Forced AirHeating
Fuel: Oil
Cooling System: Central

Yes, about my daughter it's a little complicated, what I haven't mentioned was that she's learning disabled. We're both working together to find a solution to our living situation, but my health isn't good, Diabetes, Macular Degeneration a blindness decease. I'm a typical mom who puts her kids needs above hers. I know that might not make sense to you or others? What my mom has Always said about me is that I've always been out of all her kids (9 of us) has landed on my feet. My kids and I at one time where homeless for several weeks leaving an abusive husband. That was 20 years ago. So hopefully something will come up. And I'd like to say for others who will read this critizing me Preying? What's Wrong with that? Thanks
Not sure what makes you think that we haven't prioritized our children. Most SF members comment often about our strong relationships with our kids. And nobody's criticizing you for hoping and praying. If that's how you think this will get solved, then go for it.

For the past two years we've been offering suggestions about your housing crisis. It doesn't seem like the ball has been moved forward in all of that time.

For the past two years we've been offering suggestions about your housing crisis. It doesn't seem like the ball has been moved forward in all of that time.

This is what she wrote when she joined SF back in Jan 2018 = https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/hello-new-to-website.34178/

Thank you for your kind words. You are correct I do rent. I'm glad I found this site. I need to move to save the relationship, I could die and she'll have to figure it out anyway. I want to Not feel trapped anymore, which is how I feel. I pay All the bills, sleep on a futon and have No voice. My mom long ago just upped and moved out leaving my brother, sister and grandchildren. I througt How could she do that? Now I know, she was pushed to the wall putting up with the same things. So I'll do what I have to do.

patnono...I'm sorry for what you have to go through....I'm not going to tell you what to do....
I would never tell anyone information unless I know the person....
I hope you find a place to live....(Only one thing....I wouldn't live in California)....

Back