Single Seniors - Are You Happier Being Single than Married?

Mike...NOT a great idea posting a contact number on a PUBLIC forum. As others have said, this is not a dating site. Plus, the not so mainstream usage of the letters "xxx" does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling

It appears he's been taken off. Good!!
Almost sounds like he was enjoying a few before posting on here. Saying "Cheers" at the end of his post.

Something weird happened the yesterday, a lady that I haven't a clue as to who the heck she is, sent a friend request to me on facebook, before I could decide if I want to accept that request, I messaged her to find out if we in some way actually knew each other. This was the conversation. I thought it was rather odd and thought, could I be so jaded that now when people do a search, for cynical, there's a picture of me with my name listed. :lofl:

For the record, I love seeing people happy together, married or not, I highly approve of marriage and all things love.

=================================================================================

Me.......You sent a friend request to me, I appreciate it, but, do I know you from somewhere?

From person who sent friend request.......No probably not. I think your name showed up when I searched perils pearl and or cynical case? ?

Me.......That's about the funniest thing, I've heard, I haven't any idea, who any of those people are, but, I could see why my name might get associated with them. Now I'm really curious and I've got some detective work to do to uncover this mystery. LOL
You are making too much of a mistake. Friend people who share your interests or sentiment, not those who mistakenly message you. As described, it really means nothing.

Hi Old Salt...wondering how you are and coping and id you are manaing with prepoing and eating meals and hoping theres been an improvement since we last spoke in here.

Me? Still the same infact my problem ha got worse and anxiety is the problem and mild depression and this due to problems in my everyday life but a couole brought on by my own self. However im eating at home but not as I should be. My family do not think about my issues but not cos they dont care but cos I dont tell them and keep tings to myself so unless I tell my two Sons then it goes unheeded only hot myself to bksme My DILS are good but one is seriously ill and the other one not really that caring and far too busy with their own lives. I eat and dine iut with fruends and on my iwn and have no probkem with this and enhoy it.

I hope ur Daughter is encouraging you as she has been doing

Take care Old Salt...love ur user handle...btw

Are there any single seniors here that are happier than when they were married? Are you content to live alone and stay that way for the rest of your life? Those who never married, do you think that marrying someone would make you happier?

I've been married for a long time now, almost thirty nine years, and we lived together before that. I'm happy in my marriage, but if anything happened to my husband, I think I would rather be single and on my own. I doubt I'd have the desire for another serious relationship at all with another man.
I have been single for the past 20 yrs. after my 2nd divorce. I have to say I am far happier being alone and being able to live my life and live as I see fit and not having to worry about the needs of someone else. I get enough of that at work. I am free to focus on me and tend to my own needs. I seriously doubt that I will ever remarry.

I’ve been divorced and single since I was 46; I’m now 68. Briefly dated after the divorce but realised that the compromises that were expected of me made me uncomfortable. And financially and legally, I’m much safer if I’m single. I do a lot of things on my own, I’ve travelled alone, I’m good with that. I have a few friends and a sister I’m very close too. I’m much happier and better off single.

I’ve been divorced and single since I was 46; I’m now 68. Briefly dated after the divorce but realised that the compromises that were expected of me made me uncomfortable. And financially and legally, I’m much safer if I’m single. I do a lot of things on my own, I’ve travelled alone, I’m good with that. I have a few friends and a sister I’m very close too. I’m much happier and better off single.
Very similar to how I feel and live my life.

You're lucky to have friends and a family member you are close to.

My friends are passed away or otherwise gone and my sister and I don't stay in touch.

Not too bad really, just gets boring.

Why do single people have to 'prove' that they are 'happy' and have to explain or justify not having a partner, as if it's some kind of disease or aberration?
True. It makes me uncomfortable if I have to prove to anyone that I'm happier now that I've got my power back. Regardless of their opinion on what should make me happy, they are not me. I know what's best for me and I'm unlikely to relinquish the power and freedom I'm enjoying right now.

I am single now and have adjusted to it since my divorce. Although I enjoyed both marriages and was actually happier than being single I have no intention of getting into a serious relationship.
@Lon, I saw your pic in senior high, the thread started by applecruncher. You look like my dad. I hope you'd come back here to say hi.

"Jim said -And financially and legally, I’m much safer if I’m single. I do a lot of things on my own, I’ve travelled alone, I’m good with that "
That pretty much sums up how I felt after my final divorce. I tried x 3 and never found real happiness - at least partially my fault for bad choices. Didn't (and don't) trust my ability to make a good choice). ad but true.

I have to caution myself to not compare the realities of my known existence to the "what ifs" of something I don't have...aka "The grass is always greener..."

I'm sure some married people do it about being single, just as some single people do it about being married.

Personally, I like having someone to go do things with, but I really don't have the patience to maintain a relationship.

"Jim said -And financially and legally, I’m much safer if I’m single. I do a lot of things on my own, I’ve travelled alone, I’m good with that "
That pretty much sums up how I felt after my final divorce. I tried x 3 and never found real happiness - at least partially my fault for bad choices. Didn't (and don't) trust my ability to make a good choice). ad but true.
I'll tack on my own observation as well, if you don't mind, Nozzle.

When you go out alone and travel alone it opens up a different world. For me, I've met and conversed with people I would not have otherwise engaged had I been with someone. When you're alone, you're available for people to strike up a conversation with, whereas they would never have intruded on a couple.

I used to eat out alone quite a bit and got to know the servers and the "inside scoop" on what really goes on in those places. I'm one of those people who servers will sit down and chat with as I eat.

I've gone on trips and had people amazed I would "do that alone." I did a Club Med on my own and had a blast!

I'm divorced, too...just one time. As you said, my choices are my own responsibility.

I did a lot of traveling alone after my divorce - most of it by motorcycle and alone which caused quite a bit of comment about "a woman traveling alone". I eventually did all of the US and western and southern Canada - and had a ball! I eventually did Ireland, Scotland, and Spain (for horseback riding) then did Asia - China and Japan. I was really impressed with how very nice and welcoming both these peoples were. Unfortunately my motorcycling days are over. I gave away my last motorcycle 2 years ago after being diagnosed with macular degeration - bought an electric bicycle though LOL.

I have been single all of my life and I have actually enjoyed it. I have owned my own Interior Design Business since I was 25 years old and that took up a lot of my time through the years so basically I was married to my job all those years. I just recently retired in March of this year just around when this whole Covid-19 pandemic thing hit and handed my business over to a longtime worker. Through those years of being single I have enjoyed the company of a few dogs and currently a 12 year old Yorkie named Poco. I have also enjoyed several relationships with men and I will continue to have relationships with men because I highly enjoy there company. However now at my advanced age of almost 70 there is no way I am going to get married. If the right man comes along and he wants to spends his old age with an old lady then we shall see, but going down the aisle it isn't going to happen.

There are many, many good answers here, so I'll just say, "Heck, yes!"
One marriage was sufficient, thank you. Two children were definitely the best part.

I was married twice and the career that I wanted more then anything in the world ruined both of them. Both wives were teachers working days with weekends and holidays off and many a time I was on 2 hour callout, had to work 10 to 12 hours with 8 hours off then back to work for another 10 to 12 hours sometimes for 6 days straight depending on my reporting point. If I was outlawed at a distant terminal sometimes it would take me a day and a half to get back home only to go right back out in 8 hours for another 10 to 12 hours. Jobs were put up for bid twice a year and if you didn't have enough seniority to hold your position you could wind up in another state for 6 months. Never thought in the 50 years I worked I'd be alone, It is what it is.

I got married when I was 49. She was actually my first girlfriend when I was 16 years old. We reconnected after 30+ years. I think both of us knew it was a mistake from the start. We hung on for 5 years, and finally parted in a very friendly manner. For two years, she helped pay my Internet bill and took me shopping. I knew she was already in a happy relationship with another man. When I got my Social Security Disability, I bought her a new computer system. Then I said I couldn't bear to see her any more when she was with someone else. I feel free, but it's very hard for me to go grocery shopping. I have some physical abilities.

I got married when I was 49. She was actually my first girlfriend when I was 16 years old. We reconnected after 30+ years. I think both of us knew it was a mistake from the start. We hung on for 5 years, and finally parted in a very friendly manner. For two years, she helped pay my Internet bill and took me shopping. I knew she was already in a happy relationship with another man. When I got my Social Security Disability, I bought her a new computer system. Then I said I couldn't bear to see her any more when she was with someone else. I feel free, but it's very hard for me to go grocery shopping. I have some physical abilities.
Ronk, Do you drive? In my area, the Walmart Neighborhood Market has been a Godsend. I make out a list, online. They bag it, bring it to my
car trunk, and load it. I've been shocked at the freshness, and selection. I never thought I'd say that, about Walmart.
I'm sorry that things didn't work out, with your old girlfriend.

Even though the last post here was a couple weeks ago, I’m very captured by the responses. I was with my late husband almost 35yrs. He passed away in 2010. Although he had an abusive side. I never felt I could make it in my own. After he passed I was lost and immediately went in search of a companion. I met a man who had been widowed for 12 yrs, that swept me off my feet.
I thought I had finally met the love of my life. His loving ways fizzled out Every time after a couple months, I would leave he would apologize charm me into coming back. This went on for almost 8yrs. About the only good thing that came from the relationship was being I wasn’t dependent on him financially, those 8 years I learned to stand up to him, found my dignity, self respect and regained integrity. I waked way from him 2 years ago and for the first time in my life I’m enjoy the freedom to pursue hobbies, interests, get to know myself. I’ve learned to be self sufficient around my home, what I can’t do I hire a handyman. I have 2 adult daughter’s, one whom has been here due me though surgeries, illnesses, or just to help.
Overall being single far outweighs being married or in a relationship.

I've been married for a long time now, almost thirty nine years, and we lived together before that. I'm happy in my marriage, but if anything happened to my husband, I think I would rather be single and on my own. I doubt I'd have the desire for another serious relationship at all with another man.
When my wife was asked, by her friend, if she would ever contemplate marrying again if anything happened to me, she replied:
"Oh no, I don't think so." Her friend thought that was so romantic.
"Romantic?" said my missus, "nonsense darling, I simply couldn't face all that training again."

Reading through all ten pages of this thread has made me realise just how fortunate I am. My wife and I have faced triumphs and adversities together, the highs and the lows met head on, hand in hand.

Throughout our fifty-three years of marriage there's never been a hint of a desire to part company, there again, there's never been a hint of infidelity. Back around 1990, we were at a wonderful dance competition, sitting around a table with other couples, the subject of unfaithfulness came up. A fellow that I have known for quite some time, was adamant that temptation enters every marriage, no matter how strong the couple say they are. There was no point arguing with him, he did though, annoy me, extremely so.

When it came to the actual competition I changed our choice of music, having spoken to my wife about how vexed I felt over the insinuation of adultery, she suggested we dance our Rumba to Elton John's: "Sacrifice." "What a brilliant idea," I told her, "but the subtlety of it will go right over his head." It did go over his head but we were like a couple of schoolkids wearing our wicked grins:

Elton John:

It's a human sign
When things go wrong
When the scent of her lingers
And temptation's strong

Into the boundary
Of each married man
Sweet deceit comes calling
And negativity lands.

Back