Single Seniors - Are You Happier Being Single than Married?

My father divorced my mother for another woman after 35 years of being happily married. Mother never remarried. It hurt us all.

One of my children, who has never married just told me last week, "I don't really care that much if I never get married...Nana told me that men aren't all they're cracked up to be".

I was surprised but said, "Well, that's true of some men...but not all". There are good men out there.

I was married twice, one bad, one good in that order. I'm very happy single but would not be opposed if a good man came along.

Last edited:
I was very happy being married. While I am also happy being single, I would gladly get married again with the right woman. Even thought the circumstances surrounding my divorce were very painful, I would not let that stop me from getting married again. In some cases marraige may be difficult because of family and legal issues that are involved. I that case a permanent partner would also work.

I am happier single. It's been said that marriage requires work to last. After 2 divorces, I have no interest in doing that work. It's so nice not to have to remember important dates like: date nights, Valentines, birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, and etc. Life is so much simpler now!

I've been divorced twice, but the last one was a LONG time ago. Had several GFs since, but none really in the past 8-9 years. Not having a woman around wasn't really my choice, but I have to deal with what life gives me.

I miss having a woman in my life, whether she lives with me or not. The emotional connection is the important thing. Is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence? -- yes, nearly every time. Living with someone can be hell, been there done that.

So it's all a crap shoot. But we are meant to be together.

It's so nice not to have to remember important dates like: ...., Valentines, .

Ugh. I don't care for Valentine's Day at all. It's a made up day, that forces us men to knock ourselves out to prove ourselves. If we don't do it right, a years worth of loving behavior is washed down the drain. Perhaps Big Pharma is behind it. Surely, it must cause a lot of high blood pressure and migraines in men.

I have been very happily married for 36 year and have loved this fabulous woman through the changing phases of life from the intense physical passion of youth through to the calm togetherness of old age. I would not change a thing.
A few months ago over our morning coffee, my wife told me that she would want me to remarry if she had to leave the planet. She told me that I was not the kind of man who had any business being single even at my age. She knows me pretty well, so I will take her words to heart.
I do know that I am much happier married to her than I ever was in my single years

I have been very happily married for 36 year and have loved this fabulous woman through the changing phases of life from the intense physical passion of youth through to the calm togetherness of old age. I would not change a thing.
A few months ago over our morning coffee, my wife told me that she would want me to remarry if she had to leave the planet. She told me that I was not the kind of man who had any business being single even at my age. She knows me pretty well, so I will take her words to heart.
I do know that I am much happier married to her than I ever was in my single years
She is correct, also very wise. You are a jewel among men. A wonderful friend, as a partner, even better, I suspect. 😁

Last edited:
it's pretty much impossible to find gold like you anymore. all that's left is rusty parts.

You are indeed fortunate. My best to both of you.

I miss holding hands when we walked, having someone to care for and do things for. I meet many women but most have been damaged by some jerk. I have also forgot how to flirt. I used to have a goal of getting a gal into bed. Not much of a goal anymore so I am looking for someone to travel and garden with. So I guess my best line now is " Wanna get dirty together?"

My father divorced my mother for another woman after 35 years of being happily married.
I've been divorced for about ten years now. I can't imagine any marriage that could be described as "happy" and yet ends in divorce. That's akin to saying a three course meal tastes delicious then turning around and tossing it into the garbage. To my way of thinking that makes no sense.

Rick and I got together later in life. In our 40's. Together 20 years (between dating and marriage) when he died in early 2019. we were quite happy..despite ups and downs.
Now that I am in my 60s, I would not consider remarriage. I am settled, and content. Happier? I am not sure. But content now. Happy in my current situation.

I was common law for a long time with I thought was the right woman but we gradually grew apart. Increasingly hard to find common ground we found. So single since 2004. At this point as I have retired and alone I don't feel lonely. Always people about to stop and chat with when out for a walk and I'm always in touch remotely with my two siblings. It would be great to have that connection and common ground again with a woman but for me i can't see it happening. Friends with a wonderful woman who is married and happy with her family life . We both share very similar outlooks on life and what is important. She is a couple hours away so we don't see each other too often. I'm alone but not lonely. The post cancer treatment side effects make it difficult to have a really active social life I find. So I take what comes each day, enjoy the positive things (sun shining today and the puppy makes me laugh) and do not dwell on what was or what could have been

I was common law for a long time with I thought was the right woman but we gradually grew apart. Increasingly hard to find common ground we found. So single since 2004. At this point as I have retired and alone I don't feel lonely. Always people about to stop and chat with when out for a walk and I'm always in touch remotely with my two siblings. It would be great to have that connection and common ground again with a woman but for me i can't see it happening. Friends with a wonderful woman who is married and happy with her family life . We both share very similar outlooks on life and what is important. She is a couple hours away so we don't see each other too often. I'm alone but not lonely. The post cancer treatment side effects make it difficult to have a really active social life I find. So I take what comes each day, enjoy the positive things (sun shining today and the puppy makes me laugh) and do not dwell on what was or what could have been
I truly admire your positive healthy attitude.

After a disastrous start to Married life, when I was very young., to a controlling bully ......which lasted 10yrs......my thoughts were ......NEVER AGAIN, .....😡.
But then I met my soul mate 3yrs later, and married him 5 yrs later.......He’s my best friend, councillor, you name it, he’s there for me, .......even though, I’m now his sole carer ,after his stroke......I couldn’t be without him.........dread to think of life without him...... and we ve been together 32yrs .........❤️💙

I've been divorced for about ten years now. I can't imagine any marriage that could be described as "happy" and yet ends in divorce. That's akin to saying a three course meal tastes delicious then turning around and tossing it into the garbage. To my way of thinking that makes no sense.
I had a very happy marriage 95%+ of our twenty years. Then for some reason known only to the higher powers, my wife decided she wanted to be with a good friend of ours whose marriage had failed. Literally, three months before she left me for him, we had traveled across the hot humid South and ended each day taking a shower together and then plopping naked on the hotel bed, where we both got frisky. Yet, she dumped me as soon as he became legally available. Go figure. I guess he offered her a four course meal.

I suppose I could moan and groan about the unfairness of it, but I go along with the old saying "Living well is the best revenge".

I'm a generally happy person, regardless of the circumstance.
But, lately , I've been missing the tenderness of intimacy, touching and taking care of a man.
First husband was HELL. Second was pretty nice but I think I'm happier with someone to love, respect and cherish.
I would agree with this sentiment. My first wife, well, poor dear, suffered from internal demons a lot. I called it a day, and took a 12 year break, and stumbled upon a great life partner. I say stumbled, because I definitely wasn't looking. At the end of the day, it's not all roses, but it has been more than satisfying and comfortable for over 37 years. This (unanimously!...lol) will be our last, even though I know that we will definitely be sad when the day comes that one of us passes first.

I've been single and I've been married, different levels of happiness at different times in my life. Right now I am single and comfortable with it. Although I would be lying if I didn't admit I would consider a relationship with the right guy.

Back